• Wtf
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wisdom of Nisargadatta

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
      Interesting that only one person seems particularly moved by this thread. I'm sometimes surprised by what does or doesn't get attention. I guess the direct path (as it is called) is not for everyone. I share it only because it has helped me so much.
      I understand how you feel sweets ...

I believe many are very interested in this thread because of the wisdom it harbours ... I for one enjoy it and I speak for myself here .... but I do not feel I have anything the contribute that may expand and or be insightful to the knowledge and wisdom here .... for me .... it is what it is ... and it is hard to dispute that or it is hard to not say the same thing, only differently.

Perhaps it is difficult to expound and or elaborate on such wisdom that one already understands and perhaps it may be seem a wee bit redundant ..... and the latter half of my statement I mean no offense.

So keep posting away ....
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post
      I am so appreciative that you overstood everything I just said, and where I was coming from! You are absolutely the best. It is so beneficial to me to even know you and to have you as a friend. sometimes it is hard to express my feelings. Lately, you have been taking my posts, and turning my words and my feelings,and expressing them in this beautiful way. Everything you said above is exactly what I was trying to say, but you put it together so well. I love that, and thank you. I am honored that you understand me! I just want to give you a big hug!!! and also, as you know, I appreciate all you do here...the daily Tao, and The Wisom of Nisargadatta! The Echart Tolle thread, I haven't had time...but, maybe I'll get the chance. Keep it up friend...don't ever stop!
      Thanks so much my dear friend, I was really touched by your words! Big hugs are always appreciated, and I'm sending one right back to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
      I understand how you feel sweets ...

I believe many are very interested in this thread because of the wisdom it harbours ... I for one enjoy it and I speak for myself here .... but I do not feel I have anything the contribute that may expand and or be insightful to the knowledge and wisdom here .... for me .... it is what it is ... and it is hard to dispute that or it is hard to not say the same thing, only differently.

Perhaps it is difficult to expound and or elaborate on such wisdom that one already understands and perhaps it may be seem a wee bit redundant ..... and the latter half of my statement I mean no offense.

So keep posting away ....
      I understand! I guess its not really a discussive thread, and thats cool...it is hard to add anything to Nisargadatta's words. They are not really meant to be read in a discursive fashion anyway, but to sink into the heart, where no words are necessary. I'm glad to know you've been here anyway

It's silly second guessing ourselves, really. Normally if the universe pulls me to do something, I do it..even if its just to blow my nose. Everything that has ever happened in the history of the universe has brought us to this point. I ought to trust and post whatever I feel wants to be post, regardless of whether one or one hundred people read it.
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

Super Moderator

I am:
      Friendly

It's silly second guessing ourselves, really. Normally if the universe pulls me to do something, I do it..even if its just to blow my nose. Everything that has ever happened in the history of the universe has brought us to this point. I ought to trust and post whatever I feel wants to be post, regardless of whether one or one hundred people read it.
      Exactly!!
      In Loving Memory.
      ... All with Purpose ...

is i am U

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

rory rory rory ...
      omg
      im so happy that lizzy posted a few quotes on her fb .....
      im so sorry i did not get in here earlier.....
      finally someone who is seeing the world with my eyes .....
      im so goner get this book .....i dl the pdf one im so gonner copy it for me...
      enlightenment is much needed in this world and its great to read the words of a master who understands it the way im growing to see it ......
      i wish i could talk to you ...
      are you on skype ....
      if so please let me know ...we can chat soon....
      V
      Last edited by planetlove; March 22nd, 2010 at 02:21 AM.
      This great, Supreme God of all the Gods is limited in one respect: He cannot take Himself out of you , anything or anyone else.You are the projector and the screen ...you are the movie and every player is you ....The Projector - The Bodys eyes ...the screen = the world and the universe you see...Know thy self ...

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Glad you discovered the thread Varune! Everything in the perfect timing And I'm so glad you have resonated with these words, which are incredibly infused with power...deep, concise pointers to the deeper reality of life. You will love "I Am That". It is an incredible, transformative book. I am still working my way through it after the best part of a year. It has a way of changing you...bringing you back to self...I have a few spiritual classics that I adore, but I think if I had to give away all but one book, I would keep this one. It's simple, powerful, challenging and truly enlightening. So glad you can relate to it. I will PM you my MSN address: I don't mean to withhold it from anyone (if anyone wants it please just ask!), it's just I'm wary about posting it in public as I'm getting so much spam

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

This is a documentary about Nisargadatta Maharaj which I really enjoyed watching, it is very nicely made. It's funny when you see footage of him for the first time, he's not at all what you might expect. He comes across as quite scary almost - I wouldn't want to antagonise him, hehe! Apparently the reason he shouts his answers is that he lived in a very noisy densely and populated part of Bombay, but it is a great reminder that enlightened masters are all different and consciousness expresses itself in different ways. they certainly don't all need to conform to some kind of serene stereotype we might have...and neither do we Enjoy

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

“The real you is timeless and beyond birth and death. And the body will survive as long as it is needed. It is not important that it should live long.”

“It is the nature of consciousness to survive its vehicles. It is like fire. It burns up the fuel, but not itself. Just like a fire can outlast a mountain of fuel, so does consciousness survive innumerable bodies.”

“Abandon all self-identification, stop thinking of yourself as such-and-such, and so-and-so, this or that. Abandon all self-concern, worry not about your welfare, material or spiritual, abandon every desire, gross and subtle, stop thinking of achievement of any kind. You are complete here and now, you need absolutely nothing.”

“Once you realise that the false needs time and what needs time is false, you are nearer the Reality, which is timeless, ever in the NOW.”

“Reality is what makes the present so vital, so different from the past and future, which are merely mental.”

“You must discard what is not your own, till nothing is left which you can disown. You will find that what is left is nothing which the mind can hook on to. You are not even a human being. You just ARE - a point of awareness, co-extensive with time and space and beyond both, the ultimate cause, itself uncaused. If you ask me: “Who are you?” My answer would be: “Nothing in particular. Yet I am.”

“You need nothing except what you are. You imagine you will increase your value by acquisition. It is like gold imagining that the addition of copper will improve it. Elimination and purification, renunciation of all that is foreign to your nature is enough. All else is vanity.”

“All the endless arguments about the mind are produced by the mind itself, for its own protection, continuation and expansion. It is the blank refusal to consider the convolutions and convulsions of the mind that can take you beyond it.”

“Abandon all thoughts, not only of the world, but of yourself also. Stay beyond all thoughts, in silent being-awareness.”

“No doubt, striving for improvement of the world is a most praiseworthy occupation. Done selflessly, it clarifies the mind and purifies the heart. But soon man will realise that he pursues a mirage. [...] It is the nature of all manifestation that the good and the bad follow each other in equal measure. The true refuge is only in the unmanifested.”

“The only way to renewal lies through destruction. You must melt down the old jewellery into formless gold before you can mould a new piece. Only the people who have gone beyond the world can change the world. It never happened otherwise. The few whose impact was lasting were all knowers of reality. Reach their level and only then talk of helping the world.”

“There is nothing to do. Just BE. Do nothing. BE. No climbing mountains and sitting in caves. I do not even say “be yourself”, since you do not know yourself. Having seen that you are neither the ‘outer’ world of perceivables, nor the ‘inner’ world of thinkables, that you are neither body nor mind - just BE.”

Why is self-realisation so important? “Without it you will be consumed by desires and fears, repeating themselves meaninglessly in endless suffering.”

“Be aware of being conscious and seek the source of consciousness. That is all.”

“Hold on to the sense “I am” to the exclusion of everything else. When thus the mind becomes completely silent, it shines with a new light and vibrates with new knowledge. It all comes spontaneously, you need only hold on to the “I am”.”

“How can anybody tell you what you shall become when there is no becoming? You merely discover what you are. All moulding yourself to a pattern is a grievous waste of time. Think neither of the past nor of the future, just BE.”

“You are not what you take yourself to be, I assure you. The image you have of yourself is made up from memories and is purely accidental.”

“The person is merely the result of a misunderstanding. In reality, there is no such thing. Feelings, thoughts and actions race before the watcher in endless succession, leaving traces in the brain and creating a sense of continuity. A reflection of the watcher in the mind creates the sense of ‘I’ and the person acquires an apparently independent existence. In reality, there is no person, only the watcher identifying himself with the ‘I’ and the ‘mine’. The teacher tells the watcher: you are not this, there is nothing of yours in this except the little point of ‘I am’, which is the bridge between the watcher and his dream. ‘I am this, I am that’ is the dream, while pure ‘I am’ has the stamp of reality on it. You have tasted so many things - all came to naught. Only the sense ‘I am’ persisted - unchanged. Stay with the changeless among the changeful, until you are able to go beyond.”

“[After realisation] nothing will remain, all will remain. The sense of identity will remain, but no longer identification with a particular body. Being - awareness - love will shine in full splendour. Liberation is never of the person, it is always from the person.”

“Creation is the very nature of consciousness. Consciousness causes appearances. Reality is beyond consciousness.”

“First you create a world, then the ‘I am’ becomes a person, who is not happy for various reasons. He goes in search of happiness, meets a Guru, who tells him: “you are not a person, find who you are.” He does it and goes beyond.”

“[To clear the mind] watch it relentlessly. Inattention obscures, attention clarifies.”

“Awareness is the point at which the mind reaches out beyond itself into reality. In awareness you seek not what pleases, but what is true.”

“Each thing has innumerable causes. It is as it is, because the world is as it is. Every cause in its ramifications covers the universe......For whatever happens, all the universe is responsible and you are the source of the universe.”

“When you are infected with the ‘I-am-the-body’ virus, a whole universe springs into being. But when you have had enough of it, you cherish some fanciful ideas about liberation and pursue totally futile lines of action. You concentrate, you meditate, you do all sorts of unnecessary things, but miss the essential which is elimination of the person.”

is i am U

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Thank you so much for sharing ....
      I just finished watching all those videos ...
      It brought me back to the day that ....I awoke from the illusion of Ignorance....
      The unlimited intelligence ecstasy and bliss is you and you are it ........
      Its like a kid from a very young Age playing hide and seek until ...someone finds you and says tag you are it ....
      Thank you again Rory ....
      V
      Last edited by planetlove; April 10th, 2010 at 11:33 PM.
      This great, Supreme God of all the Gods is limited in one respect: He cannot take Himself out of you , anything or anyone else.You are the projector and the screen ...you are the movie and every player is you ....The Projector - The Bodys eyes ...the screen = the world and the universe you see...Know thy self ...

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by planetlove View Post
      Thank you so much for sharing ....
      I just finished watching all those videos ...
      It brought me back to the day that ....I awoke from the illusion of Ignorance....
      The unlimited intelligence ecstasy and bliss is you and you are it ........
      Its like a kid from a very young kid playing hide and seek until ...someone finds you and says tag you are it ....
      Thank you again Rory ....
      V
      I love the way you put that Varune...I can so totally relate, and I love the metaphor of kids playing hide and seek. Glad you enjoyed the documentary

is i am U

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I love the way you put that Varune...I can so totally relate, and I love the metaphor of kids playing hide and seek. Glad you enjoyed the documentary
      That metaphor came to me when I realized the self ....
      It was awesome ....I still remember the day ... I don't think i will ever forget it .....
      I stood in silence for about a week in shock after i heard the voice within when it spoke..and told me who I was ....
      and everything that our friend up there describes and also the sayings he has said i have come to realize also ...
      enlightenment is a " Individualistic process " - I get excited still trying to tell people but ..I think ...they will think i'm nuts....
      then i spoke to my mother and she told me when it happened for her ....she calls me her guru ....
      we have a beautiful relationship now its trying to get my 2 brothers sister and family to realize it also ...for i only see the truth when i see them ...

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Long overdue I love sharing such powerful words.

“Love is the refusal to separate, to make distinctions.”

“A jeweller who wants to re-fashion an ornament, first melts it down to shapeless gold. Similarly, one must return to one’s original state before a new name and form can emerge. Death is essential for renewal.”

“Why do you bring an outer doer? The world recreates itself out of itself. It is an endless process, the transitory begetting the transitory. It is your ego that makes you think there must be a doer. You create a God in your own image, however dismal the image. Through the film of your mind, you project a world and also a God to give it cause and purpose. It is all imagination - step out of it.”

“You must be free. To be free in the world, you must be free of the world. Otherwise your past decides for you and your future. Between what happened and what must happen you are caught. Call it destiny or karma, but never - freedom. First return to your true being and then act from the heart of love.”

“The person may be conscious, but it is not aware of being conscious. It is completely identified with what it thinks and feels and experiences. The darkness that is in it is of its own creation. When the darkness is questioned, it dissolves.”

“When the relative is over, the absolute remains. The silence before the words were spoken, is it different from the silence after? The silence is one and without it the words could not have been heard. It is always there - at the back of the words. Shift your attention from the words to silence and you will hear it.”

“The mind craves for experience, the memory of which it takes for knowledge....the mind craves for formulations and definitions, always eager to squeeze reality into a verbal shape. Of everything it wants an idea, for without ideas the mind is not.”

“There is no such state as seeing the real. Who is to see what? You can only be the real - which you are anyhow. The problem is only mental. Abandon all false ideas, that is all. There is no need of true ideas. There aren’t any.”

“The knower is the unmanifested, the known is the manifested. The known is always on the move, it changes, it has no shape of its own, no dwelling place. The knower is the immutable support of all knowledge.”

“You may die a hundred deaths without a break in the mental turmoil. Or, you may keep your body and die only in the mind. The death of the mind is the birth of wisdom.”

“Everyone desires to BE, to survive, to continue, for no one is sure of himself. But everybody is immortal. You make yourself mortal by taking yourself to be the body.”

“Freedom means letting go. People do not care to let go everything. They do not know that the finite is the price of the infinite, as death is the price of immortality. Spiritual maturity lies in the readiness to let go of everything. The giving up is the first step. But the real giving up is in realising that there is nothing to give up, for nothing is your own. It is like deep sleep - you do not give up your bed when you fall asleep, you just forget it.”

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I love this thread so much, I come here often to just read the posts. I have to bring this back to the front of the forum! =)) One love!

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post
      I love this thread so much, I come here often to just read the posts. I have to bring this back to the front of the forum! =)) One love!
      Hey Elizabeth, so cool to hear from you! I'm glad you enjoy the thread, it's one of my favourites too, I still haven't finished typing up my highlighted quotes from I Am That, but I will. In fact I started rereading the book again...I've never encountered such concise and powerful pointers to truth. I've found his words quite transformative and a true healing balm.

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

Rory, my dear friend I don't believe you need worry about others entering into this thread. As of the time of my posting this there have been 866 views. As you had stated above, the thread is more about the insightfulness in what your sharing here.
      The thread is being read. And I'm sure I speak for many in expressing appreciation for your taking the time to share these truths. Thank you very much.

Growth Through Adversity

is curious.

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Spirit Walker View Post
      ... the thread is more about the insightfulness in what your sharing here.
      The thread is being read. And I'm sure I speak for many in expressing appreciation for your taking the time to share these truths. Thank you very much.
      Exactly.
      I dip into this thread and others multiple times (or for the first time) for inspiration or solace or edification.
      Even when I have no particular wisdom to share or post, there is always plenty of wisdom to absorb.
      All of it is greatly appreciated.

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Rory, my dear friend I don't believe you need worry about others entering into this thread. As of the time of my posting this there have been 866 views. As you had stated above, the thread is more about the insightfulness in what your sharing here.
      Same here.....always find much food for thought here....and always with much appreciation.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Thanks guys! Glad to know that it was worth my time transcribing and posting Thanks for your comments, really glad the words could inspire!

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

Rory, your efforts are also inspirational. Never forget this my good amigo.

Growth Through Adversity

Super Moderator

I am:
      Friendly

Rory, your efforts are also inspirational. Never forget this my good amigo.
      I completely agree with Michael!!
      In Loving Memory.
      ... All with Purpose ...

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Thanks guys! Glad to know that it was worth my time transcribing and posting Thanks for your comments, really glad the words could inspire!
      I hope you don't mind me asking Rory, while I truly appreciate all the gems of wisdom you post, I would dearly love to hear the words of Rory!! I know you post these here, Eckhart Tolle and many others...but I would love to hear what words of wisdom you would like to share from you. Is there any chance we could hear The Wisdom of Rory at some stage??
      With much love and anticipation