• Tired
  • Wtf
  • Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Computer Thread

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Default Entering The Matrix (The Computer Thread)

Chat away in this thread about your computer stuff. Which OS you use, applications, gadgets (smartphones, mobile phones, mp3 players, camera's....) whatever is related to Pc's and Laptops, even iMac's.
      Last edited by Mr B; December 6th, 2008 at 06:19 PM.

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

What your computer does at night after you go to bed

Icon Story

Wouldnt it be great to have an extended version of that as a screensaver, just to freak people out who were passing the computer
      Last edited by Mr. Brightside; December 6th, 2008 at 07:42 PM.

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post

Icon Story
      Good one!!!!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I love technology, my laptop is average dell is been I pain in the a** since day one, always crashes when I need it the most, you can call me crazy but I actually think that it has a mind of its own, am I crazy or it has a logical explanation or is it my way to explain the unexplained to me lol?
      So one day I decided to format the hard drive on my own, but no experience whatsoever so I did it with a little help of a friend via chat on Spain, is so hard to follow instructions that way, it was worth all the way cause now it has been a good laptop quite some time, and I learn to do something I didn't before.
      Nothing to say... silence is just beautiful

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

It's not your laptop. If you don't have the right programs to protect your computer from Spyware, Malware, virusses and all the other bad stuff that sneaks in from the internet, the damage is done and it seems sometimes that the computer has a mind of it's own, doing stuff that it doesn't suppose to do.

If you want a good and free program try Avast Home Edition. It protect your computer from all the stuff i mentioned before.

Also use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer 6 or 7 as your webbrowser.

Another little and free program that i can recommend is Advanced SystemCare 3 from Iobit. It tunes your computer so that it keeps performing better and has a few more little options like registry fix, spyware removal, disk defrag and it even checks the security of your pc.

And always be sure you have the latest updates and drivers installed for your pc/laptop and operating system.
      Last edited by Mr B; December 6th, 2008 at 10:34 PM.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius Quest View Post
      Chat away in this thread about your computer stuff. Which OS you use, applications, gadgets (smartphones, mobile phones, mp3 players, camera's....) whatever is related to Pc's and Laptops, even iMac's.
      I use PC (C2D 3.0Ghz, 4 GB RAM, etc.) As for OS, I use Windows XP Service Pack 3 at the moment. I did try Vista, but I have to say I didn't like it. Fonts are all blur, they messed up perfectly good start menu, everything just feels wrong about it and what ever I do, I can't shut down all those boring and unneeded services. I think I will be using XP for a looooooooong time. I don't even think that Windows 7 will bring anything better, but I guess we'll see. I did consider changing to Mac and I was planing to do this, but prices of Macs in Europe and just ridiculous. For same amount of money I can get VAIO that would eat up any Mac and as for OS ? Well, I can always install Windows on it and replace Vista if I want to.

As for MP3 players I love my iPod Classic (80 Gb version) and it works like a charm. I will only be needing to replace headphones soon and I was thinking about Sennheiser CX400. I would maybe consider buying some future version of iPod Touch, but not any time soon.

Mobile phones ? I was a big fan of them, but not anymore. I still use my almost 2,5 years old SonyEricsson K750i and I'm still very happy about it. I am thinking about buying a new one from NOKIA's fashion like 6500, 6500 Slide or even Luna, but nothing techy.

Last edited by Samael; December 6th, 2008 at 11:49 PM.

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

I often find when you buy computers from high street stores they put a lot of programs and crap on that you would never use and they just it down, I am never happy till I have re-installed windows from scratch and put my own stuff on it.

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
      I often find when you buy computers from high street stores they put a lot of programs and crap on that you would never use and they just it down, I am never happy till I have re-installed windows from scratch and put my own stuff on it.
      Yep, that's true. Another thing one could do is build a Pc himself or buy a new Pc without an operating system installed on it. It's a lot cheaper because we pay a lot for Windows these days, especially Vista.

is is here... sometimes

I am:
      ----

There is nothing better then a MacBook. I would buy one if I had the money.

I use one for work. It has never crashed, and it runs like a top. I would trade my PC for this thing any day. In fact, I haven't used my PC in months.

Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Um ok a thread about Computer stuff. good! Sorry I'm late!

Well most of you know I love to computers and anything related to them. I like to test software in my time off, it's my way or chilling out in ways.
      I am almost sure I'm going to test windows 7, I can already feel myself getting the bug for it.

Right now my (main) PC is a Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4Ghz core X 2 CPU with 4GB RAM, GFX is an Geforce 8800 GTX (G92 chipset) 1TB hard Drive all hooked up to a Nforce pro game main board running Vista ul 64. It's in need of it's yearly update now I suppose but as it's still running all new games at good FPS I'm holding off for now.

As I like to have net access on the move my Phone is the Samsung i900 or 'Omnia' as it's also known.
      Runs on Windows 6.1 pro so posting here while out and about is just a matter of starting the browser. Here is a pic:

I got the 16GB version and I have to say it knocks the stuffing out of any Nokia or other phones I've used before it.

Have 2 laptops in use (one running XP with a 2GHz Centrino CPU and 1 GB RAM and one brand new Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz Centrino CPU with 3GB RAM running vista) for back up I have two PC's not in use but good to have.

Well that's me.

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Okay, i have 3 systems here. One iMac, an older Packard Bell laptop and a new Medion laptop that i bought last June.

The iMac has a Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz processor, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD and a ATI Raedon 128MB graphicscard/processor, OS: Mac Os X Tiger.

The old Packard Bell is just a simple thing, Intel Celeron 1,3Ghz processor, 1GB RAM, 50GB hdd, don't use that one much anymore because it's too noisy, slow and damaged. CD/DVD-rom drive is broken,the hdd is at it's end of his life. I use that thing as testing machine for Ubuntu/Linux.

The "new" Medion laptop, Core 2 Duo 1,83 Ghz, 3GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9300M G graphics card/processor, Realtek HDA soundcard, 320GB hdd. Operating System: Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS. It was first Vista Home Premium but i prefer to work with Ubuntu, a completely free Linux operating system.

About Windows 7 that is coming up, well.... i have seen some screenshots and have to say that Microsoft changed the interface of Windows into something that looks like the interface of KDE 3.5. KDE is a desktop environment for Linux. I will search for some picture and show it to you later.

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Okay, here are 3 screenshots of Windows 7 and a Linux version using the KDE desktop environment, 1 with the regular KDE 3.5 and 1 with the new KDE 4 with a black bar. You can see that Windows is almost similar to KDE. Let me remind you that Linux with the KDE desktop environment has been longer on the market.
      Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

The Linux version i use, Ubuntu, has the Gnome desktop environment and looks like this.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (11.2 KB, 5 views)

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I have Nokia N73 loaded with software, a 30Gigs iPod video and an old Pentium 4 3.0Ghz with 160gigs of memory and its more than enough for me. i'm not a technology freak and i wont go and buy the latest gadget that comes out only because its new. As long as what i have does its job and keeps me happy - it stays .

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

If you want a good and free program try Avast Home Edition. It protect your computer from all the stuff i mentioned before.

Also use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer 6 or 7 as your webbrowser.

Another little and free program that i can recommend is Advanced SystemCare 3 from Iobit. It tunes your computer so that it keeps performing better and has a few more little options like registry fix, spyware removal, disk defrag and it even checks the security of your pc.

And always be sure you have the latest updates and drivers installed for your pc/laptop and operating system.
      Thanks for the advice I surely will use it... A lot! . I'm a freak for security so an updated antivirus is a sure thing as for tunning it up I use Super utilities 8.0.1985, guess that my problem is that I don't tune it up as often as I should. Just that my laptop has never been connected to internet, because I don't have internet connection at home, from Monday to Friday I use a Toshiba Tecra A7 the one I use at my workstation to stay on line and for everyday my blackberry pearl 8120 do the job. So I think maybe my problem was related to my former SO, I updated XP from SP2 to SP3 after formating, but that's an assumption that only time will prove me if I am right or wrong about that.
      Nothing to say... silence is just beautiful

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

some of your setups make my computer look like a commodore 64

I only tend to upgrade it when I need to, at the moment it does everything I want it to do at a decent speed.. and thats all I need..

The need for speed is costly indeed

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Okay, here are 3 screenshots of Windows 7 and a Linux version using the KDE desktop environment, 1 with the regular KDE 3.5 and 1 with the new KDE 4 with a black bar. You can see that Windows is almost similar to KDE. Let me remind you that Linux with the KDE desktop environment has been longer on the market.
      Actually, Microsoft is hiding what will actually be in Windows 7. Current "look" was taken from Vista and some more things programmers were playing with. From what I read final look will not be known until release of new OS. Also, Microsoft saiz that Windows 7 will be all about improvements under the hood so to say and they will focus less on appearance, but I still think there will be Glass stuff and blur fonts.

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Samael View Post

Actually, Microsoft is hiding what will actually be in Windows 7. Current "look" was taken from Vista and some more things programmers were playing with. From what I read final look will not be known until release of new OS. Also, Microsoft saiz that Windows 7 will be all about improvements under the hood so to say and they will focus less on appearance, but I still think there will be Glass stuff and blur fonts.
      Nope Samael, these are the official screenshots of Windows 7 Beta that Microsoft released.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx

Of course it could be that the look will change again but i don't think so. As far as i know they will use another kernel that uses much less resources from the processor(s) and the RAM. I only hope that this version won't be so huge as Vista because Vista took up a lot of space on the harddrive, especially the Ultimate Edition.
      Last edited by Mr B; December 8th, 2008 at 03:47 AM.

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Geez, I've been up all night installing Vista again on my Medion laptop. Ubuntu didn't work out too well on it so i binned that OS. It really was doing my head in today and had some huge problems with the sound.

I'll be running Ubuntu on my old testing laptop for that part. The Medion Laptop will be as it is, with Vista.

Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Ha loved that!
      Dont know why but I did click it till now.

Speakng of Computers, it look like a format is on the cards for mine... Well it's been a year and thats good for me!

Darn Windows Defender killed my firewall somehow but whats odd is Defender was disabled in startup.

Oh well.