• Tired
  • Wtf
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masonic Discussion

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Masonic Discussion

There might be a renaissance when it comes to Freemasonry. This is most likely spurned on my Dan Brown's 'The Lost Symbol'. As a Master Mason myself, I am rather excited by the notion. Freemasonry is one of the oldest, if not the oldest Fraternities. If anyone has any questions concerning this great institution, I will be glad to answer...of course there are a lot of things concerning that I am bound not to tell...such as descriptions of rituals themselves.

Nathan

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Why would/should one want to become a Mason?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post
      Why would/should one want to become a Mason?
      It's a moral institution for good people to be proud of their ethics; tolerant of others of different races, creeds etc...we Masons do not believe that we are above anyone. Here is a good quote I found concerning the craft of Masonry:

"A mason is a man who professes a faith in a supreme being. As a man of faith, he uses the tools of moral and ethical truths to serve mankind. A mason binds himself to like-minded men in a brotherhood that transcends all religious, ethnic, social, cultural, and educational differences.
      "In fellowship with his Brothers, a Mason finds ways in which to serve his supreme being, his family, his fellowman, and his country. A Mason is dedicated. He recognizes his responsibility for justice, truth, charity, enlightenment, freedom and liberty, honesty and integrity in all aspects of human endeavor. A Mason is such a man."

-Rev. Jim Bilbrey, Ph.D.

I hope that helps. Also, since Freemasonry is not a religion, a Freemason interprets his belief in a supreme being his own way; for example, it is who he believes to be God, the laws of the universe etc.
      Of course, I am still learning...and have a way to go...a work in progress, we are all rough ashlars (rough stones) seeking to refine our selves to becomes smooth ashlars.

Nathan
      Last edited by Logio; October 20th, 2009 at 07:12 PM.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Congratulations on achieving the 3rd Degree Brother Nathan. Will you be continuing through the Scottish Rite?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Black View Post
      Congratulations on achieving the 3rd Degree Brother Nathan. Will you be continuing through the Scottish Rite?
      I think I will by 2011. There is still a lot in the Blue Lodge the I am assimilating...more than meets the eye.

Thank you Brother....if I'm ever in New York, I'll be sure to visit your Lodge.

Nathan

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

I am curious - not too long ago I finished reading Dan Brown's most recent novel The Lost Symbol - and it is laden with Masonic info ... what makes me curious - is to know how much of that information is accurate and true ...
      Last edited by Narnia; October 20th, 2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: adding missing words as usual ... *hsigh*
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Ive not read the book Polly. But if its anything like popular conjecture, well lets just say that people have very vivid imaginations.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
      I am curious - not too long ago I finish reading Dan Brown's most recent novel The Lost Symbol - and it is laden Masonic info ... what makes me curious is to know how much of that information in the novel is accurate and true ...
      Ive not read the book Polly. But if its anything like popular conjecture, well lets just say that people have very vivid imaginations.
      True, fiction can fill in missing parts of things already known...this can often be misleading...and sometimes dangerous.

Nathan

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

In the novel - the Masons and Masonic rituals are not painted in a bad light, but rather - a good light. It seems Dan Brown went to great effort in the novel to clarify a lot of the popular misunderstandings of the Masons and Mason traditions/rituals ... and it certainly has piqued my interest in scoping out the DC area when I get the chance ...

I myself, have never believed the Masonic Organisation was an 'evil' entity and or had 'evil intentions' ... it never added up for me.
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

I take it there are various levels of achievment to accomplish on the step up the masonic ladder. How many different levels are there? and what must a mason do to achive these levels? Is it studying, Years of service? Or is it specific tasks they need to do?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
      In the novel - the Masons and Masonic rituals are not painted in a bad light, but rather - a good light. It seems Dan Brown went to great effort in the novel to clarify a lot of the popular misunderstandings of the Masons and Mason traditions/rituals ... and it certainly has piqued my interest in scoping out the DC area when I get the chance ...

I myself, have never believed the Masonic Organisation was an 'evil' entity and or had 'evil intentions' ... it never added up for me.
      People sometimes vilify what they don't understand or are scared of...also, some religions feel that Freemasonry competes with religion...which is not the case...many Freemasons belong to an established religion.

Polly here are a few sites concerning the craft of Freemasonry.

http://www.ferndalefreemasonry.com/m...explained.html

http://www.masonicinfo.com/whatbelieve.htm

http://www.masonicnetwork.org/blog/2...g-freemasonry/

Nathan

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

There are technically only three degrees within freemasonry, Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft, and Master Mason. These comprise what Nathan referred to as the Blue Lodge, the essence of Freemasonry. Technically there is no degree higher than the third, Master Mason. Degrees are achieved through lessons that are meant to be interpeted on an individual basis. I really cant say more than that.

However, there are appendent rites that exist that take the craft to further avenues of personal discovery (personal discovery is the essence of freemasonry). The most prominent are the York and Scottish Rites. These have additional degrees, each of which emphasizes a different aspect of moral development.

I am, for example, a Knight of the Rose Croix, or the 18 degree of the Scottish Rite. The lessons taught in this degree are that man must have a new Temple in his heart where God is worshipped in spirit and in truth and that he must have a new law of love which all men everywhere may understand and practice. This degree affirms the broad principles of universality and tolerance.

In all the Scottish Rite adds 30 degrees to the 3 degrees of the Blue Lodge. The hierchy of the York Rite is different with 10 degrees broken up into three broad categories.

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

I recently went to an open air museum in England and they had recreated a Masonic Lodge from the early 1900s. It was very interesting. I could not find any information on the symbol on the wall (A triangle with a crown) I am not sure if different countries or lodges have different symbols but maybe you have an idea what it represents?

Heres a photo I took although its a bit fuzzy

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

The maternal side of my family was very much into the masonic order for as many generations back as I ever knew of, with even my sisters becoming involve. [Before anyone feels the need to jump in and detail who goes exactly where. Trust me, I already know all about it.] At every wake, you could see the rings upon each of their fingers going to the grave with them.
      As a young teenager I was often asked to assist in setting up for various rituals and rites, which I did.
      At sixteen I was expected to join.
      But I declined acceptance.
      With my maternal family history being what it is, I can walk into any masonic temple and be readily accepted.
      Just a bit of trivia I thought I would throw into the conversation.
      p.s., I know exactly where the masonic order origimated from. As such knowledge was passed down through my maternal family line.
      As I had stated in my 'blog' thread, 'Sometimes I need to remember that not everyone here knows truly who I am.'

Growth Through Adversity

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

hmmm ok so what roles do women play in the organization?
      äîìëåú ùì àìåäéí òí áê

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

Wink

They tend to follow the rule of Sekhmet.

Growth Through Adversity

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by brother View Post
      hmmm ok so what roles do women play in the organization?
      Order of Eastern Star is the only branch of co-masonry that I am vaguely familiar with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Eastern_Star

This is very informative, J.B. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
      They tend to follow the rule of Sekhmet.
      That sounds of Egyptian origination, Michael; I haven't heard of it being a part of Eastern Star...but then again, I'm not that familiar with OES or any other co-masonic groups.

Nathan

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Were gays or any other group ever banned from becoming mason? and if so, then what changed? and how/who/what made the change possible?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post
      Were gays or any other group ever banned from becoming mason? and if so, then what changed? and how/who/what made the change possible?
      It's not really an issue with the organization itself...people are not supposed to be prejudiced against anyone. It's a debatable point, because personal religion is not supposed to influence the way people vote members into the Lodge....however, homosexuality according to many people is considered an immoral thing. The question is: whose morals do we abide by?...It's like the same old debate about the way the Bible is interpreted...if that book is used as the Sacred Volume...but since the Sacred Volume doesn't have to be the Holy Bible, it has to leave the question open for interpretation. I do think Freemasonry is getting a little relaxed on this point, as society is changing a bit on this matter; morality is becoming more about such things as not harming others and not becoming involved in promiscious behavior.

Nathan