• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Wisdom of Nisargadatta

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran View Post
      I hope you don't mind me asking Rory, while I truly appreciate all the gems of wisdom you post, I would dearly love to hear the words of Rory!! I know you post these here, Eckhart Tolle and many others...but I would love to hear what words of wisdom you would like to share from you. Is there any chance we could hear The Wisdom of Rory at some stage??
      With much love and anticipation
      Aww that's really sweet of you to ask, and I'm very touched by the request I don't honestly feel like I have much worth sharing at the moment, which is why the blogs have temporarily stopped. If life is peaks and valleys then I'm in the valley right now, trying to make the most of the scenery there. But when I'm back enjoying the hillside vista I'll see what I can share then. Thanks again for the lovely comments everyone

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

Take my hand my friend and I shall help you up, when you are ready.

Growth Through Adversity

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I came to this thread to read again, and oh how it helps me so much! I just watched the vid on the first page for the first time, and oh how on point and needed for me that was!!!

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post
      I came to this thread to read again, and oh how it helps me so much! I just watched the vid on the first page for the first time, and oh how on point and needed for me that was!!!
      Hey my friend, always wonderful to see you back here, I miss you when you're gone! We must have tuned in somehow last night, because this thread came into my mind and the strong urge to start posting more of the 'I am that' quotes again, and then a few moments later I got an email notification of your message! Synchronicity! I'm really glad the words help...they are powerful pointers back to reality and the truth of being. Must watch the vids again myself, I found them so inspiring and uplifting.

Stand by for more on this thread v soon...

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post
      Hey my friend, always wonderful to see you back here, I miss you when you're gone! We must have tuned in somehow last night, because this thread came into my mind and the strong urge to start posting more of the 'I am that' quotes again, and then a few moments later I got an email notification of your message! Synchronicity! I'm really glad the words help...they are powerful pointers back to reality and the truth of being. Must watch the vids again myself, I found them so inspiring and uplifting.

Stand by for more on this thread v soon...

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

“Truth is not a reward for good behaviour, nor a prize for passing some tests. It cannot be brought about. It is the primary, the unborn, the ancient source of all that is. You are eligible because you ARE. You need not merit truth. It is your own. Just stop running away by running after. Stand still, be quiet.”

“To BE, you must be nobody. To think yourself to be something, or somebody, is death and hell.”

“The discovery of truth is the discernment of the false. You can know what is not. What is -- you can only BE. Knowledge is relative to the known. In a way it is the counterpart of ignorance.”

“The mind can operate with terms of its own making, it just cannot go beyond itself. That which is neither sensory nor mental, and yet without which neither senses nor mind can exist, cannot be contained in them. Do understand the mind has its limits; to go beyond, you must consent to silence.”

“There is no goal, nor a way to reach it. You are the way and the goal, there is nothing else to reach except yourself. All you need is to understand and understanding is the flowering of the mind. The tree is perennial, but the flowering and the fruitbearing come in season. The seasons change, but not the tree. You are the tree. You have grown numberless branches and leaves in the past and you may grow them also in the future -- yet you remain. Not what was, or shall be, must you know, but what is. Yours is the desire that creates the universe. Know the world is your creation and be free.”

“The cause of suffering is in the identification of the perceiver with the perceived. Out of it desire is born and with desire blind action, unmindful of results. Look around and you will see -- suffering is a man-made thing.”

“In reality there is only the source, dark in itself, making everything shine. Unperceived, it causes perception. Unfelt, it causes feeling. Unthinkable, it causes thought. Non-being, it gives birth to being. It is the immovable background of motion. Once you are there you are at home everywhere.”

“True awareness is a state of pure witnessing, without the least attempt to do anything about the event witnessed. Your thoughts and feelings, words and actions may also be a part of the event; you watch all unconcerned in the full light of clarity and understanding. You understand precisely what is going on, because it does not affect you. It may seem to be an attitude of cold aloofness, but it is not really so. Once you are in it, you will find that you love what you see, whatever may be its nature. This choiceless love is the touchstone of awareness. If it is not there, you are merely interested -- for some personal reasons.”

“To go beyond [pain and pleasure] you must go beyond consciousness, which is possible only when you look at consciousness as something that happens to you and not in you, as something external, alien, superimposed. Then, suddenly, you are free of consciousness, really alone, with nothing to intrude. And that is your true state. Consciousness is an itching rash that makes you scratch.”

On attaining self-realisation...

“Silence is the main factor. In peace and silence you grow.”

“My Guru ordered me to attend to the sense “I am” and to give particular attention to nothing else. I just obeyed. I did not follow any particular course of breathing, or meditation, or study of scriptures. Whatever happened, I would turn away my attention from it and remain with the sense “I am”, it may look simple, even crude. My only reason for doing it was that my Guru told me so. Yet it worked! [...]
      Just turn away from all that occupies the mind; do whatever work you have to complete, but avoid new obligations; keep empty, keep available, resist not what comes uninvited. In the end, you reach a state of non-grasping, of joyful non-attachment, of inner ease and freedom indescribable, yet wonderfully real.”
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

“The “I” and “mine” having no existence in themselves, need a support which they find in the body. The body becomes their point of reference. When you talk of “my” husband and “my” children, you mean the body’s husband and the body’s children. Give up the idea of being the body and face the question: Who am I? At once a process will be set in motion which will bring you back to reality, or rather, will take the mind to reality.

For reality to be, the ideas of “me” and “mine” must go. They will let go if you let them. Then your normal state reappears, in which you are neither the body or the mind, neither the ‘me’ nor the ‘mine’, but in a different state of being altogether. It is pure awareness of being, without being this or that, without any self-identification with anything in particular, or in general. In that pure light of consciousness, there is nothing, not even the idea of nothing. There is only light.”

“Just like in a dream all is different except the sense of ‘I’, which enables you to say ‘I dreamt’, so does the sense of ‘I am’ enable you to say, ‘I am my real Self again. I do nothing, nor is anything done to me. I am what I am and nothing can affect me. I appear to depend on everything, but in fact everything depends on me’.”

“When the body is born, all kinds of things happen to it and you take part in them, because you take yourself to be the body. You are like the man in the cinema house, laughing and crying with the picture, though knowing fully well that he is all the time in his seat and the picture is but the play of light. It is enough to shift attention from the screen to oneself to break the spell. When the body dies, the kind of life you know -- a succession of physical and mental events -- comes to an end. It can end even now -- without waiting for the death of the body -- it is enough to shift attention to the Self and keep it there. All happens as if there is a mysterious power that creates and moves everything. Realise that you are not the mover, only the observer, and you will be at peace.”

“As long as you are enmeshed in the tribulations of a particular personality, you can see nothing beyond it. But ultimately you will come to see that you are neither the particular nor the universal, you are beyond both. As the tiny point of a pencil can draw innumerable pictures, so does the dimensionless point of awareness draw the contents of the vast universe. Find that point and be free.”

“[You create the world] out of your own memories. As long as you are ignorant of yourself as the creator, your world is limited and repetitive. Once you go beyond your self-identification with your past, you are free to create a new world of harmony and beauty.”

“Having seen that you are a bundle of memories held together by attachment, step out and look from the outside. You may perceive for the first time something which is not memory. You cease to be a Mr-so-and-so, busy about his own affairs. You are at last at peace. You realise that nothing was ever wrong with the world -- you alone were wrong and now it is over. Never again will you be caught in the meshes of desire born of ignorance.”

“Take the idea ‘I was born’. You may take it to be true. It is not. You were never born, nor will you ever die. It is the idea that was born and shall die, not you. By identifying yourself with it you become mortal. Just like in a cinema all is light, so does consciousness become the vast world. Look closely, and you will see that all names and forms are but transitory waves on the ocean of consciousness, that only consciousness can be said to be, not its transformations.”

“It is like the flower and its colour. Without flower -- no colours; without colour -- the flower remains unseen. Beyond is the light which on contact with the flower creates colour. Realise that your true nature is that of pure light only, and both the perceived and the perceiver come and go together. That which makes both possible, and yet is neither, is your real being, which means not being a ‘this’ or ‘that’, but pure awareness of being and not-being. When awareness is turned on itself, the feeling is of not knowing. When it is turned outward, the knowables come into being. To say: “I know myself” is a contradiction in terms, for what is ‘known’ cannot be ‘myself’.”

“To see reality is as simple as to see one’s face in a mirror. Only the mirror must be clear and untainted. A quiet mind, undistorted by desires and fears, free from ideas and opinions, clear on all levels, is needed to reflect the reality. Be clear and quiet -- alert and detached, all else will happen by itself.”

“The universe is full of action, but there is no actor. There are numberless persons small and big and very big, who, through identification, imagine themselves as acting, but it does not change the fact that the world of action is one single whole in which all depends on, and affects all.”

“Awareness with an object, we call witnessing. When there is also self-identification with the object, caused by desire or fear, such a state is called a ‘person’. In reality there is only one state; when distorted by self-identification it is called a person, when coloured with the sense of being, it is the witness; when colourless and limitless it is called the Supreme.”

Q: How am I to reach perfection? A: “Keep quiet. Do your work in the world, but inwardly keep quiet. Then all will come to you. Do not rely on your work for realisation. It may profit others, but not you. Your hope lies in keeping silent your mind and quiet in your heart. Realised people are very quiet.”
      Last edited by BlueStar; December 10th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thank you my dear friend!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

This thread will always bring me back to Mysteriouswisdom! ;-)