• Wtf

Thread: Healing power of animals

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Default Healing power of animals

Nice article! The first paragraph really tickled my funny bone though - I had this crazy mental image of trained monkeys going about making cups of tea and doing housework!

THE HEALING POWER OF ANIMALS

By Tijn Touber, Ode magazine

A unique American organization, Helping Hands Monkeys, trains monkeys to help paralyzed people function better in their daily lives. Many who are paralyzed spend hours each day by themselves, so the monkeys can be important in helping them get along without professional caregivers as well as a source of companionship. The monkeys bring food and drinks, help feed the paralyzed person, pick things up that are out of reach, put on a CD or video, and turn lights on and off.

While monkeys are exceptional in the what they can do, all kinds of pets have a positive, healing effect on their owners. Studies reveal that having a pet is a better remedy against high blood pressure than commonly prescribed medications. A pet appears to be the strongest social indicator in predicting recovery from a serious heart condition. More and more often, doctors prescribe a pet for loneliness, depression, stress and other emotional problems. In the United States, half of all doctors reported they sometimes prescribe a pet to their patients.

Studies show that older people with pets pay considerably fewer visits to the doctor. Up to 16 percent less, according to professor Judith Siegel of the School of Public Health at the University of California. That percentage is even higher for dog owners, reaching over 20 percent. According to Australian research, the presence of house pets in households saves the Australian government some 800 million to 1.5 billion US dollars a year in health costs.

Psychologists have long realized the healing power of pets. In the 1950s child psychologist Boris Levinson often had difficulty reaching his traumatized patients, until the day that his dog Jingles wandered into the treatment room, His young clients were pleased and spontaneously opened themselves up to the dog, and thus also to Levinson. He was the first to write about “the dog as co-therapist.”

Forty years later, many therapists make grateful use of the intimate bond between humans and animals. People experience pets as non-judgmental and unconditional in their affection, and so clients often consider the animal an ally, which helps foster a spirit of mutual trust and open sharing in therapy sessions. Because animals are often funny or endearing, they help dissipate the tension around a therapy session. Children, in particular, often talk more easily to an animal than a human. Sometimes all the therapist has to do is bring up an issue and then observe where the child and animal take it.

There are countless well-documented examples of successful animal-assisted therapy. A little boy who begins to heal his partially paralyzed hand by petting a dog. Abused children and prisoners who train a dog to learn how to not repeat the abusive behavior they have experienced. Autistic children who learn to communicate through contact with dolphins.

Animals have the potential to play a much greater role, particularly in hospitals and care institutions. A friendly dog can perform miracles with critically ill patients. Even a few fish in a fishbowl helps ease tensions in a dentist’s waiting room. Research has repeatedly shown that taking care of an animal (or even a plant) makes people happier and helps them live longer. Could this be because animals and plants can listen so well without ever contradicting us? A study of Canadian doctors once discovered that listening is the most important ingredient in healing. Dr. Samuel Corson, an expert in the area of animal therapy at Ohio State University puts it this way: “A dog is man’s best friend because he wags his tail and not his tongue.”

From: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the...r-of-pets.html
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

Oh, I am glad that I had some quiet/alone time to read this wonderful article ... dear Rory for sharing that!!

Animals harbour many wonderful powers, which we are still learning about!

I LOVE our two cats!
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I'm glad you liked it.

I remember Eckhart Tolle saying that for many people pets can be their only link to sanity. People get so totally lost in their mind and egoic structures and this is magnified in dealing with other people (well, it is for probably still a majority of people on the planet). But animals are totally present, in the moment and free of ego. Therefore when we are relating to pets we don't do it through a screen of concepts and mindcrap. We can simply be present with them, alive and interact directly and without the need for mind to intervene. We don't have to worry about what our pets think of us, what they're saying to other people about us and what their motives are!! Although it is still possible for some people to have ego battles with their pets (one woman was annoyed her cat was staying out too long so she closed the window and huffed "if he doesn't want to see me, I don't want to see him!" )

The beginning of this article really made me laugh. The image of trained monkeys going about making cups of tea, doing housework and putting on DVDs or CDs really amused me! I think it's wonderful though
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Hmm...don't know how I missed this one!! Glad I caught up with it at last though...
      Yes Rory...I know many studies have been done on many various ills/complaints/health issues on the value of animal therapy.
      I remember one in the UK where they brought pets to some of the old folks homes and found after a while, many of the people living there actually came off some of thier medication and looked forward to the visits from animals where thier own families often did not visit.
      The people got depressed and that affected thier health and this seemed to give them such a boost many came off thier meds altogether in some cases.
      Marvellous!!

I agree totally about the interaction between us and our pets - no agenda, no judgements just unconditional love. They can teach us much my dear friend!!

is Living in my now

I am:
      Meh

Blog Entries

our Harley boy who went to sleep this year ..was my healer ..he always connected to me ..and he knew ..what i was feeling always ..even when i was pretending to be ok. animals are special .. thanks for his article its a beautiful reminder xx

" BE PRESENT "

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

I love this thread. Should be required reading for all members.
      Here's a pic of my avian dinosaur when she was approximately a year.
      She's now three years, five months old. She can live to be 100 years old, and I plan on being here with her the entire time.
      p.s., pardon the flash. Pics were taken with a disposable camera.
      Last edited by Lion Spirit Walker; October 14th, 2009 at 06:48 PM.

Growth Through Adversity

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

why do I sometimes feel bothered by animals? I understand that they can be companions and emotionally comforting and soothing to humans. And I have experienced that with a cat before. Yet, now, my family recently tried to adobt a cat, and it was just freaking me out. I don't know, but, it seems that the smarter the animal, the more it creeps me out. I am starting to think I don't like animals....but, that just can't be. Somehow I feel imbalanced in reference to animals. How can I get it back?

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

Default SoulChild,

If I may suggest you truly examine your interconnectedness with nature.
      In this human made world too many often forget that we are ALL brothers and sisters, All Life without exception.
      I'm simply reminding you that we are All of the same Source.And as such, All Life is prescious and deserving of respect.
      As I respect you.

Growth Through Adversity

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post
      why do I sometimes feel bothered by animals? I understand that they can be companions and emotionally comforting and soothing to humans. And I have experienced that with a cat before. Yet, now, my family recently tried to adobt a cat, and it was just freaking me out. I don't know, but, it seems that the smarter the animal, the more it creeps me out. I am starting to think I don't like animals....but, that just can't be. Somehow I feel imbalanced in reference to animals. How can I get it back?
      Ohh that's interesting! I'm trying to figure out advice based on what my spiritual teachers might suggest. 'Just sit with it' comes to mind...explore the feelings and be present with them. Sometimes if you are unsure of why you are feeling something it can help to ask yourself 'what would I have to believe in order to feel this?' Then old unconscious beliefs can come to light, maybe from childhood or beyond. There could be old unconscious fears or conditioning. Explore it, acknowledge it, allow it...go beyond it, knowing that YOU are not your thoughts, beliefs or feelings (you are the one that witnesses them).

I like Michael's response; it acknowledges the oneness of all life. I now feel that there is only ONE consciousness in the universe and it simply expresses itself in different forms. I look at my dog or an insect and I somehow feel that the consciousness that animates it is the very same consciousness that animates me...albeit within the limitations of that particular form. This recognition of oneness allows for a great feeling of love for all beings. That's actually why I can no longer eat meat, it would be like eating my own flesh! Exploring and sensing this oneness for yourself might help you get over your current feelings. remember that all divisions are created by the mind (left hemisphere, to be exact!).

Hope that makes some sense. Lotsa love to you my friend

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Exposition View Post
      Ohh that's interesting! I'm trying to figure out advice based on what my spiritual teachers might suggest. 'Just sit with it' comes to mind...explore the feelings and be present with them. Sometimes if you are unsure of why you are feeling something it can help to ask yourself 'what would I have to believe in order to feel this?' Then old unconscious beliefs can come to light, maybe from childhood or beyond. There could be old unconscious fears or conditioning. Explore it, acknowledge it, allow it...go beyond it, knowing that YOU are not your thoughts, beliefs or feelings (you are the one that witnesses them).

I like Michael's response; it acknowledges the oneness of all life. I now feel that there is only ONE consciousness in the universe and it simply expresses itself in different forms. I look at my dog or an insect and I somehow feel that the consciousness that animates it is the very same consciousness that animates me...albeit within the limitations of that particular form. This recognition of oneness allows for a great feeling of love for all beings. That's actually why I can no longer eat meat, it would be like eating my own flesh! Exploring and sensing this oneness for yourself might help you get over your current feelings. remember that all divisions are created by the mind (left hemisphere, to be exact!).

Hope that makes some sense. Lotsa love to you my friend
      Your words maked great sense! and your words will help me. Thanks for responding. I will take your advice