• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf

Thread: Balance

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Balance

Sometimes, its difficult for me to sit here and read all these well intentioned posts without grimacing. I think the folks that make up this community are some of the most caring people I have ever run across in my life and want to do their part in saving the earth. However, as a native american, a person who was raised to be in total sync with the natural order, Im forced to see things in a much larger picture. Thats further exarcebated by the fact that i can sense and sometimes even see the threads that bind all things in the universe as a segment of the totality of creation, a curious side effect of my death experience.

Now no one has a greater affinity for wildlife than I. Afterall, my entire cultural outlook is based on a harmonious coexistence with the creatures we share our world with. I mean, I came up with the idea of converting this nation’s most notorious waste dump into a living thriving wildlife refuge. But as we look to save those species on the brink of extinction, it is absolutely imperative that we understand that extinction is a natural process of the earth as well as an essential part of the evolution of all creatures. As such, we must allow the natural process to take place and work to save only those creatures that face extinction as a direct result of man's interference. In saving a creature that is not affected that way, we can very well be blocking the natural order of the genesis of that order of animal and thats just as harmful as in those cases where we have directly been responsible for the demise of a species, such as with the Blue whale. Our efforts, must be a balanced one, taking the whole picture into account….otherwise we are only working towards our human sensitivities and not necessarily the needs of the earth.

Likewise, a lot of you were talking about cleansing the body. Nothing wrong with that except that many of you spoke about drinking a LOT of water to clean out the system. Now I kind of kidded about it at the time, and felt guilty afterwards. Not because I made a joke of it, but because I know something that I didn’t share with you at the time. Raise your hand if you knew that drinking too much water can actually kill you. I’ve known this for 30 years, since my days as an EMT when I would run across such cases. Drinking water at every opportunity can cause serious problems, such as hyponatraemia or water intoxication. As the water content of the blood increases, the salt content is diluted. Consequently the amount of salt available to body tissues decreases, which can lead to problems with brain, heart and muscle function and can ultimately lead to death. In fact, the 8x8 rule of water consumption is actually being questioned these days as it makes no compensation for the fact that we take in water with everything we eat as well. Our bodies tell us when we need water. Its called thirst. We would be better served listening to it.

Now, this is rather rare. But Im trying to make a point that what we think we are doing to help ourselves can actually have an adverse effect because we fail to see the bigger picture and that bigger picture is NOT always easy to see. However, a true stewardship of the earth and our own bodies requires that we step back and examine the consequences of everything we do, even those things we believe are for the better. All too often, its not really all its cut out to be. Activism and alternative practice are great in a progressive society…but only so long as it, despite our best intentions, does not contribute to the greater harm.

Balance.

You are all great people with great hearts and Im proud to know each and every one of you and Im not trying to discourage any of you in any way. Rather Im trying to point out that todays answer can easily become tomorrows nightmare if we aren’t vigilant in keeping things at the most objective level possible. In fact, our very lives and the ability of the earth to maintain a viable ecosystem could very well depend on it.
      Last edited by Jester Black; May 1st, 2009 at 08:09 PM.

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Black View Post
      Likewise, a lot of you were talking about cleansing the body. Nothing wrong with that except that many of you spoke about drinking a LOT of water to clean out the system. Now I kind of kidded about it at the time, and felt guilty afterwards. Not because I made a joke of it, but because I know something that I didn’t share with you at the time. Raise your hand if you knew that drinking too much water can actually kill you. I’ve known this for 30 years, since my days as an EMT when I would run across such cases. Drinking water at every opportunity can cause serious problems, such as hyponatraemia or water intoxication. As the water content of the blood increases, the salt content is diluted. Consequently the amount of salt available to body tissues decreases, which can lead to problems with brain, heart and muscle function and can ultimately lead to death. In fact, the 8x8 rule of water consumption is actually being questioned these days as it makes no compensation for the fact that we take in water with everything we eat as well. Our bodies tell us when we need water. Its called thirst. We would be better served listening to it.
      Thank you Jay for your most informative post!

As you know from my post in the 'Detox' thread, that I have intentions of doing a 'detox/cleansing' for my body sometime soon. I am aware of the dangers of drinking too much water, that it can actually be bad, harmful, and even lethal to ones body .... provided you're not smart about your water intake.

*A couple years ago, a San Francisco women died from drinking 2 gallons of water in an hour* Her electrolytes, which are capable of conducting in liquids, had become so deluded, she literally lost her electrical connections in her body because of the amount of water intake in such a short time.

I haven't had the opportunity, as of yet, to work out a definitive plan for my 'detox', but basically I intend on a clean diet without any sugar (cane), caffeine, alcohol etc, ... my list includes more than just plain ol' water ... a timeline of fruits, veggies, grains, yogart, fish, taking my organic multi-vit, working out, drinking a little more water each day than I normally do and a final day of fasting ... is more-or-less my basic plan.

The idea of doing a strictly water 'detox' ... actually terrifies me, because the logic says to me, that is dangerous and has potential of being harmful in the long run.

So, I have plans of playing it smart.
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Wow, Great Post Jay!

I here and feel what you are saying, yet, I don't get the feeling of "balancement" from your very own post. It seems a little judgemental, and self-absorbed.

I know, personally, that I cannot possibly be the smartest/fastest/strongest/ or any other "est" person because that wouldn't be balance. Balancement to me is knowing that I am always learning, and looking for the balance.

I want to do the things you have done, and maybe one day I will and much more, yet, it just have not happened to me "yet". That does not mean I am not balanced. Perhaps, your balacement has not yet come?

I also understand when you say it is difficult to see the whole picture. Yes, and thats what life is about....the experience, and finding these things out.

Some of the world re-known people, people who created certain technology.....for example....where was the balancement when they were not thinking of effiecency. Instead many thought more of profit, and how people would love it, and now we use so much energy....and NOW people want to go green.

We learn as we grow. Finding balancement is a personal journey.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post
      Wow, Great Post Jay!

I here and feel what you are saying, yet, I don't get the feeling of "balancement" from your very own post. It seems a little judgemental, and self-absorbed.

if pointing out that that the things we do to help our world can have a detrimental effect if we dont "balance" our input (thats the balance im talking about Liz. not the balance one finds in their lives) makes me judgemental and self-absorbed, then Im proudly guilty as charged. Our maybe Im just an older fella sharing the lessons he's learned and a somewhat different perspective with his younger breathren. Your reaction befuddles me. Or maybe I should just keep my half century of learning to myself, except THAT would be self-absorbed...wouldnt it?

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

I wanted to post a more comprehensive reply to the intial post of the thread. But after further consideration I don't believe it's appropriate that I do so.
      I do however agree that balance is an absolute necessity for Life to continue in it's outward growth.

Growth Through Adversity

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Jester...thanks you for your timely reminder. I appreciate your words and sentiment. I think its something we all need to remember...me included...and yes, we do need to see the bigger picture.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I enjoyed hearing your thoughts Jay and I agree with the need to stress BALANCE. It's something it's so easy to lose. We're all like surfers riding the waves of life, both rough and smooth - balance is something that needs to be learned often through many experiences of lack of balance and falling into the water. Buddhism stresses the 'middle way' and with good reason. I see so many people in my life who have yet to master the middle way with anything. That reminder to tread the middle way, to live balance in all things is timely.

I'm not sure what to make of your comments about extinction because I'd never thought of it that way, that maybe certain species are meant to be. I totally get what you are saying about seeing things from a wider perspective, from the strings that bind together the whole tapestry. You've given food for thought there and a new perspective. Although obviously this does not negate the need to really radically transform the way humanity relates to the environment. We're like bacteria attacking the host it lives upon. We need to stop trying to conquer and exploit the environment and animals and learn to co-exist and LIVE with and for each other. We have to realise that, as that awesome Enigma song goes...WE ARE NATURE!

With drinking water, of course balance is again needed and common sense. Most people drink far too little water from the reports I've read; and yet drinking too much is of course bad and I have also heard reports of people dying from this. Again - the middle way
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Exposition View Post
      Although obviously this does not negate the need to really radically transform the way humanity relates to the environment. We're like bacteria attacking the host it lives upon. We need to stop trying to conquer and exploit the environment and animals and learn to co-exist and LIVE with and for each other.
      totally agree with that DJ.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Our maybe Im just an older fella sharing the lessons he's learned and a somewhat different perspective with his younger breathren.

I apologize for bewhatevering you that way. I was sort of speaking randomly,yet, your reply sort of confirms what I am saying. If someone has not yet learned a thing...they have yet to learn the thing....but, they may or may not at whatever time it happens to them.. Okay, I am starting to get random again.

Okay, to put it simple. I know, that in the last two years, I feel I have grown significantly. Some things I here and see, I can analize on a certain level. Yet, two years ago, I wouldn't even be able to approach the same way of thinking. So, yes, when you are older/more intelligent/more fortunate than others, then maybe you may have certian point of views/perspectives that others may not see. It seemd that you were being judgemental for the things that people do not/ or may not be aware of.

I do feel that people should open thier minds more, read more, and try to learn more in order to better themselves on many levels...even including parenting. Many of us have children, and think we just know everything naturally...but it don't work that way. I am sorry Jay, I have to go right now, and I have a lot of things cooking in my life for the next week, so, I promise that if you still don't understand what I am trying to say....as soon as I get my thoughts together I wil re-post.

I am certain that all of us here are close enough to honestly express our feelings whether we agree or disagree and continue the respect and relationships that we have built here. And I am sure that I have told you many times that you are awesome, and I respect you. But, it is time for me to challenge you just a little. Maybe its good for you, and good for me?

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post

I am certain that all of us here are close enough to honestly express our feelings whether we agree or disagree and continue the respect and relationships that we have built here. And I am sure that I have told you many times that you are awesome, and I respect you. But, it is time for me to challenge you just a little. Maybe its good for you, and good for me?
      Well I am glad you feel the same as me honey Its all about the sacred space we are creating here to say what we need to say knowing its out of love and respect
      HUGS

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

lol, well I dont know. I posted something that I really really thought might be helpful, especially for those who may not have known the dangers of water intoxication and I get this. Forgive for caring enough to do so. once again you guys have proven to me that Im better off saying nothing and going my own way. Why I ever believed otherwise is beyond me. Have a great life folks.

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

If we all simply through our hands up and walked away when things felt slightly uncomfortable, Nothing would ever get accomplished.
      Jester, if you should happen to read this, look up the thread I had initiated entitle "Life test us and perfects us".
      I belive it would bring 'light to the darkness.'

With my respect,
      Michael

Growth Through Adversity

Super Moderator

I am:
      Friendly

lol, well I dont know. I posted something that I really really thought might be helpful, especially for those who may not have known the dangers of water intoxication and I get this. Forgive for caring enough to do so. once again you guys have proven to me that Im better off saying nothing and going my own way. Why I ever believed otherwise is beyond me. Have a great life folks.
      Jay, I certainly was not brushing aside your post if you feel that's the way it came off ... no, not at all ... like you, I was just sharing with you that I care too.

I don't think any us of want to see you 'zip up your mouth' and or leave ... you have a great wealth of experience, understanding and knowledge to share and I know for a fact that all of us here, take your words into great consideration and also highly respect your point of view!!

I wish I had words that meant something to you ... but I obviously don't ... I am only whisper that will never be heard.

Please, my dear friend, reconsider ... don't give up on us so quickly!
      In Loving Memory.
      ... All with Purpose ...

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

+1 - don't leave!!

The internet is a funny thing. It's easier to have misunderstandings than if you were discussing something with people in person. The initial essence of what we say first becomes a thought, then words, which are typed into a computer and which are then read by another person, who filters the words through thoughts and a screen of understanding and then responds. So whatever we say is actually at least two or three times removed from our initial impulse to speak.

I guess what I'm saying is this form of communication is great but can be limited by its very nature. don't they say about 90% of communication is nonverbal and yet on the internet it's 100% just words on a screen. I used to feel that sometimes I didn't express myself well online, that my idiosyncratic humour didn't come across well and could be mistaken and taken seriously, or that when I tried to make a point not many people seemed to 'get' it. I don't know whether that was true or not. Then I came to realise that, as Byron Katie said 'it's not other people's job to understand you, it's your job.' In other words, you just say what you want to say, what's in your heart and stop worrying whether people get what you're meaning or not. It doesn't ultimately matter. No one will ever 'get' something precisely as it was intended, because none of us are blank slates - it all gets filtered through our understandings and thoughts. As the Pink Floyd song goes, 'keep talking' (while recognising the inherent limitations of talking!).
      Last edited by BlueStar; May 4th, 2009 at 12:20 PM.
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

I have to agree with you about communication Lucid...thats why i think smilies etc are very important as they can convey what our voice and facial features cannot...people will know if we are kidding, mad etc.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

That's so true Lorri, I don't know who invented smilies but I'm sure they've assisted online communication in many ways and diffused many potential arguments with a simple and

Super Moderator

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Exposition View Post
      That's so true Lorri, I don't know who invented smilies but I'm sure they've assisted online communication in many ways and diffused many potential arguments with a simple and
      and ... and
      In Loving Memory.
      ... All with Purpose ...

is emotionally drained

I am:
      Bemused

Sometimes, its difficult for me to sit here and read all these well intentioned posts without grimacing. I think the folks that make up this community are some of the most caring people I have ever run across in my life and want to do their part in saving the earth.
      I guess these words really did not come from the heart. So quick to run away in the face of opposition. We are all learning Jay. Why so serious?
      What you allow, is what will continue

is Living in my now

I am:
      Meh

Blog Entries

..youd have to drink a **** load of water to die from it and usually those who become at risk from water retention thus sodium intake level being compromised have either been opearating this way for quite some time and when discovered it is usually too late to help ..it mostly affects elderly persons , type 1 diabetics etc ..many many reasons ..but a healthy person will not die from consuming water ..a natural amount any way.. i think we all need to do our bit for our land ..there is yes the natural process of extinction ..but if it is also natural that we try and conserve species and nature do it ..it cant hurt anyone trying ..im sure the Native American elders would not have waved a hand against conservation efforts ..if it brings respect and the feeling of community ..positivity and togetherness is a good thing ..

" BE PRESENT "