• Tired
  • Wtf

Thread: Saving money

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Default Saving money

In the current economic climate...I thought it might be good to suggest any ways you can save money/cut on costs if anyone has any ideas?

One of mine is to never be afraid to bargain or haggle on a price...even if its already reduced. You'll be surprised how much you can save on things if you chance your arm!!

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Saving money started with us somewhere in 2006 by cutting us off from the electricity company. We payed 80 Euro's every month. So we decided to place a budget meter instead, it works with a card that you have to charge up with money.

It's a lot cheaper. Every 3 months i charge that card with 100 to 150 euro's and we have electricity for 3 months again. In the weekend and holidays like christmas it's 50% cheaper, during the week days after 22:00 pm until 07:00 am it's also 50% cheaper.

It all depends on what you do of course, besides cooking, washing and stuff i use only my laptop every day.

My next step is to buy a Eee Box pc from Asus which lowers the power consumption by or up to 90%.

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Yes we have those meters here too and they are a good thing! Good call Maik!
      We have gotten in the habit of turning every appliance off at home when not in use...its amazing how many things we leave on standby and theres still power being used.
      Also I wait until there is a full wash as a half load uses the same water and power as a full one. Saves on powder too.

Martin may not have a job after this week so its a case of seriously tightening the belts now for us too...just in case!!

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

Good Topic Lorri

Never go food shopping on an empty stomach, You will end up with loads of snack foods that will go to waste.

Never buy clothes because of what label they have on them, All you are doing is paying inflated prices, making somebody else rich and making you poorer, I guarantee you will be able to buy a similar item for a quarter of the price if you shop around. And don't believe the hype about quality. My partner is a seamstress she says the majority expensive clothes are no better made than cheaper versions.

Never buy a CD without listening to it, (these days that's easy on the internet) It may be tempting to do so with your favorite band but you may find you have wasted your money, One or two tracks may be cool but that doesn't mean the album will be.. e.g... Voyageur

If possible the same also goes for DVDs, I hardly ever buy a film I have not seen, I would rent it or borrow it first.. It would have to be something I knew would be brilliant and has been recommended by quite a few people.

If you smoke, try to quit, I know its not easy but all you are doing is making cigarette companies rich and cutting your life short. Costs around £5 for 20 cigarettes in this country, Thats £35 per week. Its quite a saving if you quit.

Use ebay, freecycle and other internet sites to shop around and buy stuff, you will save a fortune.. I know its not good for shops but shopping on the net will save you a fortune, as well as the savings you make on items, you save on Car Parking and Petrol.

Walk places instead of taking the car again cutting down on petrol

I had to laugh recently, In the middle of a credit crunch and a blizzard, some reporter is on the news telling people to wrap up warm and go Christmas shopping so shops do not go under.. Were is the logic in that.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I don't know how it works in other countries...but, here, we are approaching tax refund time! So, what I usually do, is push money to the side because I know that at the end of the year, is usually a struggle! I have 3 birthdays in November, One in december, Christmas in December, and my wedding anniversary also in December. And, I am sorry for the way this may sound...but, no one knew that I pushed money aside...not even my husband. And it tends to work better that way!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I agree with SoulChild, this is different from country to country, so when you "learn" how to live in hyperinflation and of what would be considered today 5 euros a month, world wide economic crisis does not really upset you a lot lol That was my attempt to be funny about some past days.. Oh well, moving on..

I'm still in school and I don't work, but I do live 80% of my time alone, so I understand all the food shopping and bill paying and everything far to well then I'd like to I can't say I'm doing anything different now, but I always was a careful shopper, so maybe I'm a bad example. Only advice I can give everyone is always to do a research about something that is taking your money and see what is best best you can get for it, even if it means spending more sometimes..

At the moment I'm thinking about changing my ISP and Cable Service Provider, because I can get double internet speed and better TV from a different company in about same price range, so no need to pay more for less?.

I'm not able to be a big spender, but sometimes I go out of my way and buy something a bit more expensive, but I save my money first, never ever go to debt to buy it and I only buy a high quality product that I know it will last. I most definitely am not like some people I know who give 300 euros for pair of gloves.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

All here have some interesting strategies to save there hard earned money....i was wondering what suggestion i can offer....well i am not yet an earner in the first place,so many times i don't feel the pinch when i spend money on something......But i do have a suggestion for men....how about leaving your beard unshaven for some weeks or even months...it will certainly save you some money and keep your face warm during these harsh winter....I guess it's not an option for those in corporate sector,but for those who are on there own