• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Celestial Event

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Celestial Event

A delightful display of planets and the moon will occur on New Year's Eve for anyone wishing to step outside and look up just after sunset.

Venus, brighter than all other planets and stars, will dangle just below the thin crescent moon in the southwestern sky. It'll be visible -- impossible to miss, in fact -- just as the sun goes down, assuming skies are cloud-free.

Soon thereafter, Mercury and Jupiter will show up hugging the south-southwestern horizon (just above where the sun went down) and extremely close to each other. Jupiter is very bright and easy to spot; Mercury is faint and harder to see, but it'll be apparent by its location just to the left of Jupiter.

Jupiter and Mercury will set less than an hour after the sun, so timing your viewing just after sunset is crucial. You'll also need a location with a clear view of the western horizon, unobstructed by buildings, trees or mountains.

All the planets, along with the moon and sun, traverse an arc across our sky called the ecliptic, which corresponds to the plane in space that they all roughly share. For this reason, you could draw an imaginary line from the general location of Venus and the moon, down through the other two planets, and the line would point to where the sun went down. This line could also initially help you find Jupiter and Mercury.

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing Soulchild...we also got a fabulous event a couple of weeks before christmas...mars and venus crossed the moon and were extremely bright to the naked eye!!

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

You know, for the last couple of months, Jupiter has been looking really magnificent in the Southwestern skies, it sometimes looks like a flash light in the sky! I really enjoy viewing Jupiter, through Paul's telescope....it's so amazing to see the moons orbiting around the great planet and the gaint red spot....gives me the shivers everytime!

Mars, Venus, and of course our beloved Moon have been dancing the great dance of the heavens beautifully in front of the ever awe-inspiring background of the stars!
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Yes the weather here has been really cold and frosty and the sky is just amzing when its clear like that!! We're nearly at the full moon so I guess we'd better watch Peter!!!!
      Just kidding Boss!!!! I know how you just lurve the full moon!!!

Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

You know me too well Lorri. Funny thing is i felt this one was on the way last night for some reason.

sorry for being off topic.
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

You're not really off topic...its all about celestial things and how they affect us could kinda be part of that!!! We'll let you off this time!!!
      HUGS

Super Moderator

I am:
      Friendly

Default Unusual Green Comet.

Unusual Green Comet Set to Pass Earth

By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP.

WASHINGTON (Feb. 18) - An odd, greenish backward-flying comet is zipping by Earth this month, as it takes its only trip toward the sun from the farthest edges of the solar system. The comet is called Lulin, and there's a chance it can be seen with the naked eye — far from city lights, astronomers say. But you'll most likely need a telescope, or at least binoculars, to spot it.

The best opportunity is just before dawn one-third of the way up the southern sky. It should be near Saturn and two bright stars, Spica and Regula. On Monday at 10:43 p.m. EST, it will be 38 million miles from Earth, the closest it will ever get, according to Donald Yeomans, manager of NASA's Near Earth Object program.

The story behind the comet is more intriguing than its appearance — the greenish tinge may be hard for many to discern. The color comes from a type of carbon and cyanogen, a poisonous gas.

Lulin was discovered by a Chinese teenager two years ago. It still has many of its original gases — gases that are usually stripped away as comets near the sun. Unlike most comets viewable from Earth, this one hasn't been this close to the sun before, Yeomans said.

While all the planets and most of the other objects in the solar system circle the sun counterclockwise, Lulin circles clockwise, said NASA astronomer Stephen Edberg. And thanks to an optical illusion, from Earth it appears as if the comet's tail is in the front as the comet approaches Earth and the sun.

"It essentially is going backwards through the solar system," he said. It came from the outskirts of the solar system, 18 trillion miles away. Once it's made the journey around the sun, Lulin will gain enough speed to escape the solar system, Edberg said.

"If you are interested in comets, make sure you see it," he said. "But it's not going to be a real great blast for the general public."

Be sure to watch for the Green blaze in the nightsky Feb. 23. 2009! :biggrin
      Last edited by Narnia; February 20th, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
      In Loving Memory.
      ... All with Purpose ...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Huge gamma-ray blast spotted 12.2 bln light-years from earth

– The US space agency's Fermi telescope has detected a massive explosion in space which scientists say is the biggest gamma-ray burst ever detected, a report published Thursday in Science Express said.

The spectacular blast, which occurred in September in the Carina constellation, produced energies ranging from 3,000 to more than five billion times that of visible light, astrophysicists said.

"Visible light has an energy range of between two and three electron volts and these were in the millions to billions of electron volts," astrophysicist Frank Reddy of US space agency NASA told AFP.

"If you think about it in terms of energy, X-rays are more energetic because they penetrate matter. These things don't stop for anything -- they just bore through and that's why we can see them from enormous distances," Reddy said.

A team led by Jochen Greiner of Germany's Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics determined that the huge gamma-ray burst occurred 12.2 billion light years away.

The sun is eight light minutes from Earth, and Pluto is 12 light hours away.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default hey stargazer or whomever interested

I thought you should know,just going on your name here, apparently mars if coming closer to earth
      than it has been in 5000 years, I was reading it may be as visible as the moon.
      I'm sorry I don't have an address, but I am sure the info can be found
      with a little searching
      Peace and Love,
      DangerBird.
      Last edited by userid7; May 26th, 2009 at 01:17 AM. Reason: why me

Super Moderator

I am:
      Friendly

In Loving Memory.
      ... All with Purpose ...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thank you for the reminder good friend!

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Torrential wind and rain here so I don't think we'll get to it here

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Rare New Year's Eve 'blue moon' to ring in 2010

Once in a blue moon there is one on New Year's Eve. Revelers ringing in 2010 will be treated to a so-called blue moon. According to popular definition, a blue moon is the second full moon in a month. But don't expect it to be blue — the name has nothing to do with the color of our closest celestial neighbor.

A full moon occurred on Dec. 2. It will appear again on Thursday in time for the New Year's countdown.

"If you're in Times Square, you'll see the full moon right above you. It's going to be that brilliant," said Jack Horkheimer, director emeritus of the Miami Space Transit Planetarium and host of a weekly astronomy TV show.

The New Year's Eve blue moon will be visible in the United States, Canada, Europe, South America and Africa. For partygoers in Australia and Asia, the full moon does not show up until New Year's Day, making January a blue moon month for them.

However, the Eastern Hemisphere can celebrate with a partial lunar eclipse on New Year's Eve when part of the moon enters the Earth's shadow. The eclipse will not be visible in the Americas.

A full moon occurs every 29.5 days, and most years have 12. On average, an extra full moon in a month — a blue moon — occurs every 2.5 years. The last time there was a lunar double take was in May 2007. New Year's Eve blue moons are rarer, occurring every 19 years. The last time was in 1990; the next one won't come again until 2028.
      Blue moons have no astronomical significance, said Greg Laughlin, an astronomer at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

"`Blue moon' is just a name in the same sense as a `hunter's moon' or a `harvest moon,'" Laughlin said in an e-mail.

The popular definition of blue moon came about after a writer for Sky & Telescope magazine in 1946 misinterpreted the Maine Farmer's Almanac and labeled a blue moon as the second full moon in a month. In fact, the almanac defined a blue moon as the third full moon in a season with four full moons, not the usual three.

Though Sky & Telescope corrected the error decades later, the definition caught on. For purists, however, this New Year's Eve full moon doesn't even qualify as a blue moon. It's just the first full moon of the winter season.

In a tongue-in-cheek essay posted on the magazine's Web site this week, senior contributing editor Kelly Beatty wrote: "If skies are clear when I'm out celebrating, I'll take a peek at that brilliant orb as it rises over the Boston skyline to see if it's an icy shade of blue. Or maybe I'll just howl."

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

This flew over Iowa the night before last. The video doesn't do it justice. It was very cool...

Growth Through Adversity

is i am U

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I saw this on the news ..
      Pretty cool stuff....
      This great, Supreme God of all the Gods is limited in one respect: He cannot take Himself out of you , anything or anyone else.You are the projector and the screen ...you are the movie and every player is you ....The Projector - The Bodys eyes ...the screen = the world and the universe you see...Know thy self ...

Super Moderator

I am:
      Friendly

WOW!! Did you happen to hear and or feel anything!?
      In Loving Memory.
      ... All with Purpose ...

is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries

Yes on both accounts. But to be honest, it's difficult to explain in my current state of mind (sleepy). I'll return after some rest.

Growth Through Adversity

is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries

NASA now suggests the known universe is 13.7 billion years old.
      [HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA!!! Oh. LOL. Pardon me.]

Growth Through Adversity

Super Moderator

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Spirit Walker View Post
      NASA now suggests the known universe is 13.7 billion years old.
      [HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA!!! Oh. LOL. Pardon me.]
      Seems kinda young, don't you think ... 13.7 billion years ... I mean ... come on it's the Universe ... it could be 800 trillion years old or even older for all we know!
      In Loving Memory.
      ... All with Purpose ...

is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries

Agreed completely dear Narnia. What amused myself most was consideration of the fact that humans don't yet truly understand ourselves and still we make such claims. LOL.
      It sounds just a little too 'Flat Earth' to me.

Growth Through Adversity