• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf

Thread: Ideas to save money, grow your own and help Gaia at the same time!

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Default Ideas to save money, grow your own and help Gaia at the same time!

Please share! Free Range chickens that have been allowed to eat their natural diet of worm, grubs, and other such chicken delights have a dramatically different egg. Look at this picture. Even the color is dramatically different! The dark yolk is from a local farmer who allows her chickens access to the her yard (and bugs).

You really can taste and see the difference.

Mother Earth News did a study comparing small farmer’s eggs with commercial eggs. They found that it affected everything from cholesterol amount, ratio of omega 3 to 6 fats, and vitamin content.
      by: Homesteading / Survivalism on Facebook

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Dandelion Root Health Benefits :

* Dandelion root extract is unique, and is one of the only things found to help with chronic myelomonocytic Leukemia and it is effective in treating Breast Tumors

* Detoxification of vital organs : Because of the diuretic abilities of dandelion root, it is beneficial for flushing out the Liver, Kidneys and Gallbladder. İt works great to purify the blood and cleanse the system. This also makes it a good herb for Fighting İnfections.
      It is also used for Arthritis, Osteoarthritis , Gout and Rheumatism

* Dandelion tea actively ameliorates disease—it is a potent disease-fighter—and helps the body heal, helps Boost İmmunity and Heart Disease, and age-related Memory Loss.

* Treating Anemia : Because of the high content of iron in dandelion root, it is beneficial for building red blood cells in the body to treat anemia.

* Treating Diabetes : Dandelion root has been shown to lower blood sugar levels in patients. In Europe, it's used to treat Type-1 and Type-2 diabetes.

* Digestive System : Dandelion root, when made into a tea, is beneficial for relieving constipation, flatulence and fullness.

*Treating High Blood Pressure : Dandelion root is a natural Diuretic. When combined with its high potassium content, it is an effective treatment to lower blood pressure.

* Dandelion tea helps reduce High Cholesterol.

* High Nutritional Value : Dandelion root contains vitamins A, B-complex, C and D as well as the minerals İron, Zinc and Potassium. This combination of vitamins and minerals also makes dandelion root a High Antioxidant Food.

* Mood Enhancer : Due to the high amount of vitamin B-complex, dandelion root can help to stabilize mood and Treat Depression.

*Dandelion root is also used to treat skin disorders such as Acne, Eczema and Psoriasis.

* It is very beneficial to Menopausal Women

* Laxative : Dandelion root is also a mild laxative and is used to help with regularity.

* Dandelion tea helps with weight control—especially with Weight Loss.

( Composting spent dandelion tea Blossoms, Leaves, and/or Roots, after drinking your dandelion tea, improves soil composition. )

( There are very few side effects linked to using dandelion root. Allergic Reactions to the herb have been reported. People taking prescription lithium, a diuretic, medication to lower blood pressure or medication to lower blood sugar should not take dandelion root. Women who are Pregnant or Breastfeeding should consult their doctor before taking this herb. )
      by: Homesteading / Survivalism on Facebook

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Grow your own celery from your celery remains. Just chop off the base and plant. One week of growth shown in photo. Please share!

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Sprouting seeds to eat
      Author: Anne Caborn | Posted: Thursday 29th March '12
      www.makeitandmendit.com

Sprouting seeds is one of the simplest and fastest ways to grow your own food. Ready in just a few days, they’re a colourful and nutritional addition to salads, soups and other recipes. And you need minimal space – even less than a window sill!

X

It was my sister who got me into seed sprouting. As she explains: “Even if you’re not up to full on gardening, it’s worth having a go at sprouting seeds. They’re very good for you and add balance to a diet which might otherwise contain a little too much chocolate etc.

“I sprout chickpeas (with a bit of tahini they make great humus), alfalfa, mung, radish, aduki and sunflower, among others. No need for special seeds – the chickpeas in the store cupboard that you haven’t used because you keep forgetting to soak them first – yes, they’re fine.”

My sister reckons the best sprouting container is the empty pack from 100 rewritable CDs but I decided to buy a special seed sprouter. I like the way you can stack the trays and water different varieties of seeds at once. I already had some alfalfa seeds but also invested in some brocoli and onion seeds.

Step 1. Soak your seeds overnight

To get started, soak small amounts of seeds overnight. A tablepoon of seeds can produce a huge amount of sprouts. Volume varies between seed varities, I’ve found. Alfalfa create a lot of sprouts. My first go with onion seeds was a little disappointing. They all taste best when freshly sprouted. I’m currently thinking of buying a second sptouter so I can have 2 ‘harvests’ at different stages in the germination process.

2. Rinse then place in the trays

You need a fine sieve for the rinsing or they just end up going down the drain. Sprout the seeds seperately, rather than mix varieties together, as some will germinate before others.

3. Rinse and drain the seeds twice a day

This is when the stacking seed trays really come into their own. You just pour water in at the top and it filters through the stacks before collecting in the run off tray at the bottom, which you then empty.

4. Ready to eat in a few days

Sprouting takes place really quickly. But I also noticed that some seeds sprout faster than others. Take a look at the onion seeds (the little black ones) which look quite puny compared to the alfalfa in the tray underneath. Once they’ve sprouted you can keep them in a container in the fridge for a day or two But the fresher you eat them – the better.

Serving suggestions

Pop them into pittas with humous or tahini. You can also try my sister’s sprouting chickpea humous, which is delicious. They’re great in salads but also when added to stir fries and as a garnish on soups and stews. Use union sprouts mixed with egg mayonaise in sandwiches.

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Health Benefits of Dill:

Protection from cancer, good digestion, oral care, relief from insomnia, hiccups, diarrhea, dysentery, menstrual disorders, respiratory disorders, etc)

1 ) Cancer: Now it is the turn of the Monoterpenes to come under the lime light. These chemoprotective Monoterpenes, being stimulant in nature, activates secretion of an enzyme called glutathione-S-transferase (the radical glutathione is an effective anti oxidant) which is very effective in neutralizing carcinogens, particularly Cyano- and Benzo- derivatives and free radicals, thereby protecting from cancer. The other Anti Oxidants in essential oils of dill also contribute to this.

2 ) Respiratory Disorders: Kaempferol and certain other components of Flavonoids and Monoterpenes in the essential oils of dill are Anti Congestive and Anti Histaminic in nature and help clear congestion in the respiratory system due to histamine, Allergies or Cough.

3 ) Digestion: Dill itself is an appetizer and therefore extensively used in culinary. The essential oils present in it are stimulant in nature and activates secretion of bile and digestive juices. These oils also stimulate peristaltic motion of the intestine.

4 ) Menstrual Disorders: The Flavonoids in essential oils of dill are stimulant and Emenagogue in nature, that is, they stimulate secretion of certain hormones which in turn help maintain proper menstrual cycles.

5 ) Insomnia: Essential oils found in herbs have a peculiar property. They are simultaneously stimulant and sedative or hypnotic, that is, they stimulate as well as pacify. The essential oils in dill are no different. The Flavonoids and vitamin-B complex present in its essential oils, being stimulant in nature, activates secretion of certain enzymes and hormones which have calmative and hypnotic effects, thereby helping have a good sleep.

6 ) Diarrhea: Diarrhea is caused mainly due to two reasons; indigestion and microbial action. For the first, dill can certainly help as it has very good digestive properties. For the second, it can help again since the Monoterpenes and Flavonoids present in its essential oils are germicidal or bactericidal in nature and can help cure diarrhea by inhibiting microbial infections.

7 ) Dysentery: Dysentery is primarily caused due to fungal infections. Here too, dill can help as its essential oils are disinfectant in nature and help inhibit fungal infection effectively.

8 ) Hiccups: Hiccups occur due to various reasons, primarily due to trapping and repeated upward movement of gases through the food pipe and secondarily due to certain allergies, hypersensitivity, hyperactivity and nervous malfunctioning etc. Dill can help in all of these situations. Being a carminative, it helps expulsion of gases and also reduces gas formation and being sedative, it helps calm down hiccups due to allergies (which is actually hypersensitivity of the body towards certain foreign elements and bile), hyperactivity, nervous disturbances etc.

9 ) Oral Care: Dill seeds and leaves are very good mouth fresheners. Apart from that, the essential oils in it are germicidal, Anti Oxidant and Disinfectant in nature. Thus they help end microbial infections in the mouth as well as their anti oxidants minimize the damages caused to gums and teeth by the free radicals.

10 ) Other Benefits: Dill is relaxant, Fortifying (strength giving), Diuretic (increases urination helping removal of toxic substances from the body), Carminative (helps removal of gases), Anti Spasmodic (prevents cramps), Anti Flatulent, Stimulates Lactation (galactagogue) and Endocrinal Secretions, enhances libido due to presence of Arginine and last but not the least, it ensures bone and dental health, being a good source of Calcium — Homesteading/Survivalism on Facebook

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Excellent thread, Lorri!! Important topic, in these times it's no longer good enough for us to simply profess to spiritual beliefs and ideologies (i mean, who really cares? Lol) but to actually walk our talk. One of the best things I ever did was quit eating meat and reduce dairy significantly, and to switch to largely organic fruit and veg, and supporting fair trade products wherever possible. Not just for my health and quality if consciousness but mainly because I no longer wanted support industries and practises I know are wrong and ethically reprehensible. Locally we now have allotments, allowing us to grow our own veg. Much better than relying on exploitative mega-supermarket chains. Definitely the way forward...
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Thanks Rory....well I also feel that growing our own, even the smallest thing helps us reconnect to the Earth and the Goddess.

Here's some more on Dandelion....

Dandelion leaves can be used in salads, soups, juiced, cooked the same way as spinach, or dried (with flowers) to make dandelion tea. The root can be dried and roasted and used as a coffee substitute, and the flowers can be used to make dandelion wine. (The greens can be sauteed with olive oil and onion to add to eggs for a wonderful frittata! KM)

Dandelions are known for the following therapeutic properties:
      ■Laxative and diuretic; useful for premenstrual bloating and edema.
      ■Normalizing blood sugar and cholesterol (dandelion root).
      ■Tonic; appetite stimulant and a good general stomach remedy.
      ■Liver cleanser; remedy for liver and gall bladder problems ( I have personally used dandelion root to keep my grumpy gall bladder under control).
      ■Agent for treating burns and stings (inside surface of flower stems)
      ■Leaves are known to help with anemia, again, personal experience speaking. KM.

Dandelions also have antiviral effects so may be useful in combating herpes and AIDS. For more information on the nutritional and medicinal properties of dandelions, go to this article by Leaf Lady.

Be careful not to confuse dandelion plants with Hawksbeard, which can look very similar. Hawksbeard won’t kill you, but it certainly doesn’t offer the great nutritional benefits of dandelion. Here is a video showing how to tell them apart.

In my quest to make dandelion our latest culinary delight, I found more ways to eat and enjoy dandelion that you can shake a stick at! Here’s a few…

* Kentucky Dandelion Greens

* Batter Fried Dandelion Blossoms (my neighbor recommends this!)

* Dandelion Greens sauteed in Ginger Butter

* Dandelion Greens in Broth

* Dandelion Jelly

* Pink Dandelion Wine

* Dandelion Greens

* Dandelion Fritters

* Dandelion coffee
      For the links and further info, see http://www.themorristribe.com/2012/0...joy-dandelion/

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Dandelion muffins. Chop the dandelions up fine, add to corn bread mix. Great with eggs! (from SurvivalGearup on FB)

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Today’s Recipe Hit List is a handy reference sheet listing dozens of different tutorials and recipes for canning assorted fruits and vegetables. I’ve handpicked these from around the net and focused on featuring those that are for long term storage (though there are a small number that go straight to the refrigerator, these are noted) - With thanks to http://tipnut.com/recipes-canning/

It's Satisfying To Stock Up The Pantry With Canned Goods

This collection highlights garden fresh produce that is pickled, packed in syrups or just in water and I’ve sorted them alphabetically (by vegetable or fruit item) so it will be easy to find what you’re looking for.

If you’re more interested in jams, jellies and spreads, many have been already organized on other pages here (with some fruit butters and sauces referenced in the main alphabetical list below):
      ■100 Jams, Jellies & Marmalades
      ■20 Freezer Jams
      ■10 Pie Fillings
      ■Making Relish

Note: As with all the tips and lists here on Tipnut, this page will be updated as I come across new goodies so you may want to bookmark this page for reference.

*Some recipes are similar to each other but still included because of the tips, slight ingredient tweaks or quality of tutorial each has to offer. Have fun!

Apples:
      ■Spiced Apples: Apples are grated (including peels), ingredients include sugar, Ceylon cinnamon, ground ginger, freshly grated nutmeg, ground cloves, Citric Acid. From Mrs. Wheelbarrow’s Kitchen.
      ■Also see this list of applesauce recipes and this collection of apple butters.

Asparagus:
      ■Herbed Pickled Asparagus: Yields 4 pints, ingredients include white wine vinegar, water, granulated sugar, pickling or Kosher salt, fresh oregano and fresh marjoram. From Small Measure.
      ■Pickled Asparagus & Fiddleheads: Ingredients include thinly sliced onion, fresh asparagus, fresh fiddleheads, white wine vinegar, water, sugar, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, whole allspice, dried chilies, pickling or Kosher salt. From Backyard Farms.
      ■Pickled Asparagus With Lemon: Yields 6 – 12 oz jars. Ingredients include white vinegar, water, pickling salt, mustard seeds, peeled garlic cloves, sliced & seeded lemon. From My Pantry Shelf.
      ■Pickling Asparagus: Made with asparagus spears, white wine vinegar, water, dill seed, chili flakes, sea salt, sliced shallot, sliced garlic and wild garlic flowers (optional). From Laundry Etc.
      ■Pickled Asparagus: Yields 3 or 4 pint jars. Ingredients include distilled white or white wine vinegar (5% acidity), salt, slivered garlic, dill seed (optional), hot pepper flakes, whole allspice (optional), cumin seed (optional), coriander seed (optional). From The New York Times.
      ■Pickled Asparagus: Yields approximately 2 pints, ingredients include thick asparagus tips (4″ long), rice vinegar (4% acidity), water, Kosher salt, sugar, pickling spice and peeled garlic cloves. From Piccante Dolce.
      ■Spicy Pickled Asparagus: Yields 1 – 12 oz jar, ingredients include white vinegar, pickling salt, red pepper flakes, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, garlic cloves. From Sustainable Pantry.

Beets:
      ■How To Pickle Beets: Packed with a hot brine made of apple cider vinegar, sugar, whole cloves, whole anise berries and cinnamon sticks. From The Bower Family Happenings.
      ■Pickled Beets: Yields 4 pints. Made with small beets, cider vinegar, sugar, water, small whole onions (peeled), pickling salt, caraway seeds and mustard seeds. From Planet Green.
      ■Pickled Beets: Made with cider vinegar, brown sugar and beet juice (cooking water). From Brooke’s Food Blog.
      ■Red or Golden Pickled Beets: (for refrigeration) Makes 2 quarts. Ingredients include coriander seeds, yellow mustard seeds, dill seed, whole allspice, fenugreek seeds, whole cloves, crushed red pepper flakes, fresh bay leaves, white wine vinegar, dry white wine, sugar and coarse salt. From Martha Stewart.
      ■Pickled Beets: Beets are cooked until fork tender then packed with a boiling sugar and vinegar mix. From Sense and Simplicity.
      ■How To Make Pickled Beets: Beets are cooked, drained and skins are rubbed off before packing with brine (white vinegar, water, granulated sugar and pickling spice). From Playing In The Dirt.

Cabbage:
      ■Traditional Method For Making Sauerkraut: {Plus Tips}: Can be canned, frozen or refrigerated. From Tipnut.
      ■Turkish Fermented Cabbage: (refrigerate) Yields approximately 2 & 1/2 quarts. Ingredients include shredded white head cabbage, sea salt, minced garlic, minced ginger, aleppo pepper (or Korean, or Hungarian paprika & cayenne powder), sugar, water. From Tigress In A Pickle.

Carrots:
      ■Vietnamese Carrot & Radish Pickle: Ingredients include white vinegar, filtered water, sugar, grated ginger, julienned carrots, julienned dense radish (daikon or watermelon), whole star anise. From Married…with Dinner.
      ■Pickled Dill Carrots: Yields 5 pints, made with dill seeds, garlic cloves, water, vinegar and pickling salt. From Craving Greens.
      ■Spicy Pickled Carrots: Yields 5 pints. Made with 4 lbs. of carrots, water, white vinegar (5% acidity), apple cider vinegar (5% acidity), kosher salt, garlic clovers, sliced jalapeno (1 slice per jar), brown mustard seeds, celery seeds, coriander seeds, allspice berries, ground allspice, turmeric. From Hitchhiking to Heaven.
      ■Canning Carrots: Yields 7 pints. Ingredients include white vinegar, filtered water, pickling or canning salt, garlic cloves, fresh dill heads (or dried dill seeds), hot pepper flakes (optional) and 1-inch sticks of peeled carrots. From Local Kitchen.
      ■Spicy Pickled Carrots: Made with fresh, peeled carrots, distilled white vinegar, water, sugar, canning salt, dill seed, garlic cloves and hot pepper flakes. From Well Preserved.
      ■Pickled Carrots With Habanero: Yields 12 pints. Ingredients include 10 pounds of multi-colored carrots (cleaned and quartered), cider vinegar, water, salt, honey, coriander seeds, black pepper, sprigs of thyme and habanero slices. From Winebook Girl.

Cauliflower:
      ■Pickled Cauliflower, Carrots & Red Bell Pepper: Yields approximately 3 pints, ingredients include coriander seeds, black or brown mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cider vinegar, crushed & peeled garlic, fresh ginger, yellow onion, sugar, Kosher salt, black peppercorns, ground turmeric, crushed red pepper flakes, cauliflower florets, sliced carrots and diced red bell pepper. From Fine Cooking.
      ■Pickled Cauliflower: Makes 4 quarts, ingredients include coriander seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, dried hot chilies, dried thyme, white vinegar, water and pickling or Kosher salt. From Hunter Angler Gardener Cook.
      ■Pickled Cauliflower: Ingredients include coriander seeds, turmeric, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, bay leaves, dried chile de arbols (split), carrot, red onion, white wine vinegar (at least 5% acidity), sugar and Kosher salt. From Saveur.

Cherries:
      ■Preserved Cherries: Ingredients include pitted Bing cherries, water, salt, sugar, lemon juice, almond extract. Process in a water-bath canner for long term storage. From The Washington Post.
      ■Cherries In Wine: Yields 4 pints, ingredients include red wine, sugar, orange juice, whole cloves, orange zest and pitted Bing cherries. From Orange County Register.
      ■Pickled Sour Cherries: (refrigerate for up to one year) Ingredients include white vinegar, water, sugar, peppercorns, bay leaves, sour cherries. from David Lebovitz.
      ■Pickled Cherries with 5 Spice Blend: (refrigerate) Yields 2 quarts, ingredients include sweet or sour cherries (stems and pits intact), cherry vinegar or red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, Szechuan peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, star anise, whole cloves and whole fennel seeds. From She Simmers.

Cucumbers:
      ■See this list of homemade pickles and this tip sheet for troubleshooting tips.

See next post for more.....

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Canning Continued......

Figs:
      ■Fig Pickles: Yields about 8 pints. Ingredients include sugar, water, vinegar, cinnamon, whole allspice and whole cloves. From National Center for Home Food Preservation.

Green Beans: (Plus a couple for yellow or wax beans)
      ■Hot Dilly Beans: Ingredients include cayenne pepper, whole garlic cloves, heads of dill, distilled vinegar, pickling or Kosher salt and water. From Lori’s Lipsmacking Goodness.
      ■Lemon Spiced Bean Pickle: Makes 3 pints, ingredients include green beans (or a 50/50 mix of green and yellow beans), cider vinegar, water, pickling salt, granulated sugar, pickling spice, lemon rind. From Sidewalk Shoes.
      ■Canning Green Beans: Pressure canning: tightly packed jars of fresh green beans are topped with salt then boiling water poured over to fill jars (cold pack method), sealed then processed in a pressure canner. From Krista’s Kitchen.
      ■Lemon Rosemary Pickled Green Beans: Makes 6 half-pints, ingredients include water, white wine vinegar, kosher or pickling salt, sugar, garlic cloves, rosemary sprigs and strips of lemon zest. From The Washington Post.
      ■Pickled Green Beans: Makes 10 pints, ingredients include crushed red pepper flakes, mustard seeds, dill seed, garlic cloves, vinegar, water and salt. From Homestead Revival.
      ■Dilly Beans: Ingredients include trimmed green beans, cayenne pepper, dill seed, garlic cloves, white vinegar, water and pickling salt. From Food in Jars.

Yellow String Beans or Wax Beans:
      ■Sweet & Sour Wax Beans: Makes 4 pints. Ingredients include 1-inch pieces of wax beans, white vinegar, sugar, celery seed, ground ginger, dried summer savory or basil, bay leaves. From The Crispy Cook.
      ■Pickled Yellow Wax Beans: (single jar, store in refrigerator) Ingredients include garlic cloves, coriander seed, small hot chili, black peppercorns, bay leaf, white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar, dry white wine, water, Kosher salt and sugar. From The Amateur Gourmet.

Onions:
      ■Golden Crunchy Pickled Onions: Yields 12 pints. Onions are sliced into 1/4″ thick rings and packed with cloves, peppercorns, mustard seed and celery seed. Syrup ingredients include vinegar, water, sugar, salt, turmeric and cinnamon. From Foodie With Family.
      ■Sweet Onion Pickles: Ingredients include thinly sliced red onions, apple cider vinegar, water, Kosher salt, sugar, white mustard seed, peppercorns and coriander seed, celery seed, caraway seed, cloves and a bay leaf. From Voodoo & Sauce.

Peaches:

See How To Peel Peaches: {Quick & Easy}
      ■Brandied Peaches: Makes 2 pints, peaches are packed with syrup (water and sugar) then topped with brandy. From The New York Times.
      ■Peaches In Lavender Syrup: Yields 6 quarts and made with white peaches, water, sugar (to make a light syrup) and dried lavender flowers. From Saving The Season.
      ■Spicy Bourbon White Peach Pickles: Makes between 2 and 3 half pint jars. Ingredients include granulated sugar, brown sugar, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, bourbon, water, cinnamon sticks, fresh ginger root, red pepper flakes, yellow mustard seeds and cloves. From Leena Eats.
      ■Georgia Pickled Ginger Peaches: Makes approximately 2 quarts, ingredients include vitamin C tablets (crushed), distilled white vinegar, sugar, knot of ginger (sliced into coins), cinnamon sticks, ground allspice and whole cloves. From Tigress Can Jam.
      ■Niagara Peaches in Cardamom Vanilla Bean Syrup: Made with Niagara or medium-sized southern peaches, water, granulated sugar, vanilla bean and cardamom pods. From Piccante Dolce.
      ■Texas Peach Pickles: Makes 6 to 7 pints, ingredients include small texas peaches (peeled, pitted and halved), lemon juice or crushed vitamin ca tablets, distilled white vinegar, organic cane sugar, knob of ginger (peeled and left whole), whole cloves, whole allspice and cinnamon sticks. From The Cosmic Cowgirl.
      ■Rum & Syrup Packed Peaches: Ingredients include white sugar and water for a light syrup and a tablespoon of rum per 1 litre jar. From Putting Up With The Turnbulls.
      ■How To Can Peaches: Yields about 32 pints and made with a bushel of peaches, sugar and water (for syrup). From Shiny Cooking.

Pears:

You’ll find recipes for Pear Butter here. See more recipe ideas for using up pears here.
      ■Vanilla Pears: Ingredients include sugar, water, cinnamon sticks, whole vanilla beans and whole cloves. From Stitch and Boots.
      ■Canned Pears With Star Anise: Ingredients include syrup (1:2 sugar, water), lemon juice and star anise. From Doris and Jilly Cook.
      ■Spiced Canned Pears: Made with a bushel of firm, ripe pears, sugar, water, cinnamon sticks, ground cinnamon, freshly grated nutmeg, whole star anise. Makes about 14 quarts or 28 pints. From Straight from the Farm.
      ■Belgian Pears: Pears are simmered several hours with white granulated sugar and white wine vinegar before packing in jars. From The Cottage Smallholder.
      ■Canned In Vanilla Syrup: Yields 4 quarts, made with citric acid (or lemon juice), firm Bartlett pears, sugar, water, vanilla bean, peppercorns and brandy (optional). From Put Up or Shut Up.
      ■Canned Pears: Gives tips for canning firm pears vs. ripe, soft pears. Made with lemon juice, medium syrup (water and sugar). From Mostly Foodstuffs.

Peas:
      ■Sugar Snap Pea Pickles: (refrigerate) Yields 1 pint, ingredients include distilled white vinegar, cold water, canning salt, turbinado or raw sugar, sliced garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, white peppercorns, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and sugar snap peas with strings removed. From eat.repeat.
      ■Pressure Canning Peas: Fresh garden peas are shelled, packed in jars and topped with salt and boiling water. Processed in a pressure canner (basic instructions plus video tutorials). From Homestead Acres.

Peppers:
      ■Savory Pickled Peppers: Ingredients include white vinegar, water, sugar, olive oil, diced onion, diced carrots, peppers, dried oregano, bay leaves. From The Kitchn.
      ■Marinated Red Bell Peppers: Ingredients include bottled lemon juice, white wine vinegar, olive oil and salt. From SweetHome.
      ■Fire Roasted Peppers In Red Wine Vinegar: Yields 3 pints. Made with sweet peppers (first charred on a hot woodfire or beneath the broiler), red wine vinegar, water, sugar, non-iodized salt, whole garlic cloves and good olive oil. From Saving the Season.
      ■Pickled Hot Cherry Peppers: Yields 2 quarts and 1 pint, ingredients include hot cherry peppers, garlic cloves, bay leaves, whole black peppercorns, white-wine vinegar, water, sugar and coarse salt. From Martha Stewart.
      ■Pound of Pickled Peppers: Ingredients include both sweet and hot peppers (such as banana, fresno and jalapeno), an onion, cider vinegar, water, sugar, salt, bay leaf, coriander, cumin seeds, dried oregano, garlic cloves and black peppercorns. From Sippity Sup.

Plums:
      ■Whole Plums In Honey Syrup: Made with honey, water, cinnamon sticks, a vanilla bean and star anise. From Food In Jars.
      ■Canned In Syrup: Whole plums are packed in a medium syrup (2:1 water, sugar) and processed in a hot water bath. From Mostly Foodstuffs.
      ■Also see this list of assorted recipes for using up plums.

Potatoes:

These must be pressure canned (for safety) and there’s not much variation in prepping (wash potatoes, cube, pack in jars, top with salt and hot water then process). Here are a couple tutorials to get you started:
      ■How To Can Potatoes: From No Ordinary Homestead.
      ■Canning Potatoes: From Becky’s Farm Life.

Pumpkin, Squash & Zucchini:
      ■Chunky Zucchini Pickles: Yields 6 (500mL) jars. Ingredients include finely chopped onions, pickling or canning salt, granulated sugar, Clearjel (or cornstarch), dry mustard, ground ginger, ground turmeric, water, white vinegar, red bell pepper. From Putting Up With The Turnbulls.
      ■Pattypan Pickles: Yields 2 pints. Made with pattypan squash or a mix of yellow & green zucchini, pickling salt, garlic cloves, fresh ginger, lemon zest, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, chile flakes, dried Thai pepper. Brine: water, white vinegar, cider vinegar, pickling salt and raw sugar. Processed in a boiling water bath. From Local Kitchen.
      ■Canned Squash or Pumpkin: (pressure canning) Squash or pumpkin is cubed then blanched, packed in jars then topped with boiling water before processing. From Your Home Kitchen Garden.
      ■Pumpkin Pickles: Made with lemon, sugar, cider vinegar, fresh ginger (peeled and finely chopped), cinnamon sticks, black peppercorns, salt, sugar pumpkin. From Reader’s Digest.

Radishes:
      ■Radish Relish: (can be stored for up to one year) Ingredients include distilled white vinegar, sugar, Kosher salt, whole coriander, cumin seed, yellow mustard seed, shredded radishes (2 pounds), diced onion, a knob of ginger (peeled and grated), minced garlic cloves. From Baking with Lisa.
      ■Pickled Radishes: (refrigerate) Yields 1 pint, ingredients include red wine vinegar, granulated sugar, water, salt, yellow mustard seed (or brown), dash of coriander, whole black peppercorns and a dried bay leaf. From Canning with Kids.

Tomatoes:

To remove skins, see this tip sheet: How To Skin Tomatoes: {Step By Step}
      ■Tomatoes Packed In Water: Instructions for both raw-pack and hot-pack methods, canned with bottled lemon juice or citric acid and salt (optional). From The Bitten Word.
      ■Canning Crushed Tomatoes: Makes about 4 quarts, tomatoes are peeled first, cut in quarters, mashed and heated before canning (with either citric acid, bottled lemon juice or 5% acidity vinegar). From Hippo Flambe.
      ■Canning Roasted Tomatoes: First roasted (tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, thyme, olive oil) then canned (lemon juice or balsamic vinegar).
      ■Grandma’s Canned Tomatoes: Yield is 4 quarts, made with tomatoes (3 lbs for each quart you want to make), Kosher salt and lemon juice. From food52.
      ■Canning Tomatoes: This recipe includes packing tomatoes with herbs, chiles, spices (optional). From Chow Times.
      ■Canned Tomatoes: Makes 4 quarts or 8 pints, use plum or small Jersey tomatoes, coarse salt and citric acid. From Whole Living.
      ■Pickled Green Tomatoes: Try Romas, grape or cherry tomatoes, canned with garlic, olive oil (optional), pickling spice, spicy peppers, fresh dill and powdered alum. From Andrea Meyers.
      ■Pickled Green Tomatoes: Ingredients include jalapeno chile, cumin seeds, peppercorns, celery seed, dill seed, minced garlic, white vinegar and sea salt. Makes 2 pints or 1 quart. From Homesick Texan.