• Wtf

Thread: Sigur Rós – 'Valtari'

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Default Sigur Rós – 'Valtari'

Truly looking forward to this. I have a feeling this will be THE album of 2012, certainly if it continues the uniformly high standard of previous releases!

As promised, Sigur Rós will return this spring with their sixth studio album. According to this month’s Q Magazine (via the band’s message board), the LP is called Valtari and will arrive in the UK on May 28th (and presumably the following day in the U.S.)

Produced by frontman Jónsi, along with his partner and frequent collaborator Alex Somers, the album includes at least seven tracks, which you can find listed out below.

In a previous interview, the band used adjectives like “ambient,” “introverted,” “floaty,” and “minimal” to describe the album’s sound. Speaking with Q, bassist Georg Hólm added that the the album lives up to its title — which translates to “steamroller” in English. “The music kind of just rolls over you. In a good way,” he explained.

For his part, Jónsi described the album as “heavy and floaty” and said “there’s more electric stuff than before… but don’t worry, we haven’t made a dance record.” He also revealed that there will be no English lyrics.

From Rolling Stone: The title of the Icelandic* art-rock crew's sixth studio LP means "steamroller" – a perfect description of the disc's epic, celestial sound. Vocalist Jónsi Birgisson takes his spectral vocal style to uncharted realms, soaring over sublime hymns that stagger in their cumulative force. "It sounds corny, but when I listen to it, it puts images in my head," says bassist Georg Hólm. "I feel like I'm walking up a mountain alone, staring out into a massive landscape, hearing only my heartbeat. It gives me goose bumps – always a good sign!"

New song and video from the album:

Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks for the info Bluestar.....now eagerly looking forward to the album's release....
      It is always better to live with Reality, because otherwise, without fail, Reality will come to live with you. -- The Aghori Vimalananda

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
      Thanks for the info Bluestar.....now eagerly looking forward to the album's release....
      You're welcome, Naveen! Can't wait for it!!
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

One of the tracks on Valtari is evidently a re-mixed version of Luppulagio from the Inni film.

I'm really happy, by all accounts the new album is very ambient and minimalist a welcome return back in the direction of ( ) following the comparatively more 'poppish' (term used loosely) sound of 'Meo Suo...'

I can't wait for next month. And if I'm strong enough I'll manage to stay away from that rumoured low quality leak

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

You can now stream Valtari online!!

Check out here on NPR http://www.npr.org/2012/05/20/152841...ur-r-s-valtari

or

The Guardian here http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musi...clusive-stream

Valtari is just a stunningly, heart-shatteringly beautiful album. It's the first music in a long, long time that has moved me to tears, not once but twice (the tracks Varuo and Duaologn - both extremely moving). It's truly ambient in style -- immersive and haunting soundscapes, totally evocative and highly atmospheric.

It's just PERFECT. And I don't actually want to listen more than a couple of times as I'm trying to hold out for the CD to arrive next week