• Wtf

Thread: WOA! World Overpopulation Awareness

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Default WOA! World Overpopulation Awareness

So much of the focus gets placed on improving our economies, which is almost a triviality compared to other issues facing the planet. One is overpopulation -- basically we're exceeding the capacity of the planet's ability to sustain us.

http://www.overpopulation.org/

A topic definitely worthy of focus.
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

When it comes to this issue I've often thought of humans as being like lemmings. The difference being we know what we're doing.
      Irregardless of the species, without change the outcome remains the same.

Growth Through Adversity

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

Since I was a young kid, the rate of the Human population has always worried me ...

It is runner up reason why I don't ever plan on having children of my own ... there just too many people.
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

It's funny, when someone has a new baby, I'm happy for them but a little part of me is thinking "stop, we don't have room for anymore!" I do have great concerns about how resources will support us as we reach what they call 'the bottleneck' in history. Yet, I am glad when people that are truly fit parents bring a child into the world, knowing that this child will be raised well and will presumably become a decent human being. It's the people that are unfit to be parents and that seem to pop them out like they were rabbits that vex me. Children raised by unfit parents often tend to replicate their parents dysfunctions. When it comes to nature vs nurture, I'm on the side of the social scientists - I believe it's largely down to nurture. I actually believe prospective parents should undergo psychological testing before they're allowed to have children, for the sake of the children and the future of the human race.
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”

is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries

I was honestly dumb-struck when I realized that in my lifetime to date over a BILLION new human beings have been added to the global population.
      It seems unreal.

Growth Through Adversity

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
      It's funny, when someone has a new baby, I'm happy for them but a little part of me is thinking "stop, we don't have room for anymore!" I do have great concerns about how resources will support us as we reach what they call 'the bottleneck' in history. Yet, I am glad when people that are truly fit parents bring a child into the world, knowing that this child will be raised well and will presumably become a decent human being. It's the people that are unfit to be parents and that seem to pop them out like they were rabbits that vex me. Children raised by unfit parents often tend to replicate their parents dysfunctions. When it comes to nature vs nurture, I'm on the side of the social scientists - I believe it's largely down to nurture. I actually believe prospective parents should undergo psychological testing before they're allowed to have children, for the sake of the children and the future of the human race.
      Agreed, agreed, agreed and agreed!
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries

This is a valid issue of concern. But how can it be dealt with realistically?
      I agree that psychological evaluations are a good idea in theory. But who has the wisdom to actually carry out such evaluations?
      Here in the USA, from the 50's through the 70's many people were surgically altered so they couldn't reproduce. And many of those people were made to go through the proceedures without awarreness or consent. And it was all done because they were considered 'unfit' to reproduce.
      Honestly, who can rightly pass such a judgement?
      Still the over-population of our species continues, ever closer to a point of critical mass.

Growth Through Adversity

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

You're right of course Michael. Any such strategy would necessitate a very right-wing authoritarian approach, although I can see a time in our future where we may be forced into it for the sake of our own survival. What I sometimes find concerning is also the fact that often the people that reproduce the most are those who are least fit as parents (to put it politely), and whose inadequate parenting passes on psychological dysfunction from generation to generation. I see this so often and think, 'this is the future of society'. Hmm. I don't know. The key I think is not dwelling on this, but focussing on the only thing we ourselves can change, which is elevating our own consciousness, which can't help but heal the world and the collective in ways we can't yet begin to imagine. Once the inner change is in place, the outer can't help but change. Maybe we'll awaken to what we're doing to the planet and just know what we need to do to keep things (specifically ourselves as a species!) under control and back into alignment with the natural world. Change will come. It has to.

is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries

I do agree my friend. An awakening to the Reality that truly is is our greatest hope. And we can only awaken our Self.
      One day...

Growth Through Adversity

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I think it was Eckhart Tolle who once pointed out that evolution happens out of necessity. The first fish didn't crawl onto land because it wanted to - something must have forced it to change, evolve and develop. same with birds! and same will probably be the case with us now. The dire necessities facing us, the need to change and adapt and evolve in order to survive will surely hasten our evolution as a species. And I do believe the true evolution will be an evolution in consciousness rather than form.

is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries

As a species we are so numerous that as we change the entire Earth changes with us...

Growth Through Adversity

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
      ... The dire necessities facing us, the need to change and adapt and evolve in order to survive will surely hasten our evolution as a species. And I do believe the true evolution will be an evolution in consciousness rather than form.
      Evolution in consciousness is indeed an important part of our evolution, as oppose to what happens in the animal world.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
      Ludwik Kowalski, author of a free ON-LINE book entitled “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.” Google will provide the clickable link. Or see below.
      h*ttp:*//csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.h*tml (but remove * after pasting)
      It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA)