• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vitamin supplements

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

This was debunked years ago, but still some things became part of culture like Vitamin C overdosing. There is no real need to take any kind of supplement if you are healthy and have a balanced diet.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samael View Post
      This was debunked years ago, but still some things became part of culture like Vitamin C overdosing. There is no real need to take any kind of supplement if you are healthy and have a balanced diet.
      I tend to agree that a well balanced (and as organic as possible) diet provides just about all we need. Except when there are underlying medical issues, such as I have myself. Extensive blood testing revealed certain severe deficiencies in enzymes, etc, which my body simply doesnt produce and which I now have to take orally. Usually, but noy always, excellent diet can provide all the body needs. Most people I know have quite poor diets however, and I often wonder how their bodies manage to continue functioning on the crap they feed themselves (nothing but pizzas and processed meat pies and chips, etc. - food with virtually no nutritious value ).

Regarding the "debunking" of vitamins and supplements I maintain a more sceptical outlook. In my social science degree I studied research methods and statistical analysis and the overriding thing that remains with me is this: don't believe studies until you've ascertained: a. Who funded the study; b. what their motives likely were (and there are always motives and profit interests, etc); c. Examine the unaccounted variables and d. If you can take a look at he raw data because it's extremely easy to take data and bend (or outright distort) it to tie in with the original hypothesis, which in itself often sways the findings and the way they are reported. The media is dreadful at handling 'scientific studies' like this. Jouarnalists rarely have the capacity or ability to question the findings of such studies or read between the lines, which in turn leads to an often misinformed public. Or a confused public, for often totally contradictory studies are released weeks or months later.

It was a while back but from what I recall upon investigation, I found these widely reported studies of the I effectiveness of vitamins and the higher likelihood of illness and/or death while on them was a poorly conducted study that failed to take significant variables into account, and the funding of which could be indirectly connected with the pharmaceutical industry (which is frankly so powerful it gets it's paws in just about everywhere, including sadly government policy).

The study im thinking of was based on questionnaires which are of dubious scientific value in themselves, and failed to take into account the fact that firstly, some vitamin supplements are of far greater quality and absorbability than others, and also that people that takes vitamins are far more likely to have existing medical conditions in the first place. This stands to reason. There was a whole lot more picked up in the analysis of this study when the raw data was made public, yet the media immediately latched onto it and created sensationalist headlines like "vitamin supplements will kill you". Interestingly I've seen very little mainstream media coverage of recent and frankly quite alarming studies that show antidepressants are basically useless and are only very marginally more effective than placebos. The multi-billion pound pharmaceutical industry clearly has an influence on what he public read and assimilate.

Just some thoughts.

Regarding supplements, I believe the best thing is to be unattached to what's other people tell you you should do - whether it's doctors, scientists, herbalists or African voodoo witch doctors and just listen to your body. Maybe plenty fruit and veg is sufficient, or maybe you have some underlying imbalances and need the support of a quality supplement.
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran View Post
      Yep Thanks for sharing though dearest
      Me too.

Ludwik Kowalski
      Ludwik Kowalski, author of a free ON-LINE book entitled “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.” Google will provide the clickable link. Or see below.
      h*ttp:*//csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.h*tml (but remove * after pasting)
      It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA)