• Wtf
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The Computer Thread

is ~ Enigmatic Soul...

I am:
      Innocent

Smile Great then,

Quote Originally Posted by Samael View Post
      I installed Windows 7 7077 this morning and... At the moment I feel like Vista was bit snappier, but I guess I'll have to wait untill I install all my programs and let everything settle in to make final judgement.

My biggest fear was taskbar and I have to say I LOVE IT. I didn't pin anything on it, but its very useful and I really enjoy it. Specialy the colors.

Windows Media Player 12 is a BIG SCORE for Microsoft in my book. I think this is first time I prefer using WMP over iTunes.

My 10 years old TV Tuner still works under Windows 7, so this is a big YES as well

Drivers ? NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER. I didn't install audio, ethernet,monitor, even printer was installed from updates. I think all Vista and XP dirvers will work without a problem on Windows 7.

Themes are also GREAT ! I specially like that you can shuffle wallpapers and automaticaly change them in time. This is very neat I think.

More from me a bit latter....

I told you guys, that this new version of Windows is a big step for MS.

Until now, everything runs excellent and i don't have any bad to say about Windows 7.

Well, the taskbar is a very good and themes - i got off all those programs like WindowBlinds wich i was used to use them on XP and Vista like Aero theme now is more elegant and it really looks like glass even when you have your window maximized.

I've encountered also some little problems with Chrome no big deal, since IE8 or Opera can make their job very well; also there are some performance glitches but, is still a beta/RC and we'll have to wait a little time until the final version will come out and will be fully optimized.

In the game part - another good point for this stage... i've tested the new HAWX released game and everything was fine with a little exception, i had to set the compatibility to Vista or XP SP3 to get rid off those freeze moments.

It seems that i didn't took a wrong decision when i made Windows 7 as my primary system.

Even now you can obtain and activate a beta key from Microsoft and i read somewhere that Microsoft will give unlimited keys for final RC versions and they will allow users to test the RC version for one year... this is amazing.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Enkde View Post

I told you guys, that this new version of Windows is a big step for MS.

Until now, everything runs excellent and i don't have any bad to say about Windows 7.

Well, the taskbar is a very good and themes - i got off all those programs like WindowBlinds wich i was used to use them on XP and Vista like Aero theme now is more elegant and it really looks like glass even when you have your window maximized.

I've encountered also some little problems with Chrome no big deal, since IE8 or Opera can make their job very well; also there are some performance glitches but, is still a beta/RC and we'll have to wait a little time until the final version will come out and will be fully optimized.

In the game part - another good point for this stage... i've tested the new HAWX released game and everything was fine with a little exception, i had to set the compatibility to Vista or XP SP3 to get rid off those freeze moments.

It seems that i didn't took a wrong decision when i made Windows 7 as my primary system.

Even now you can obtain and activate a beta key from Microsoft and i read somewhere that Microsoft will give unlimited keys for final RC versions and they will allow users to test the RC version for one year... this is amazing.
      I decided to go back to Vista Ultimate. I like Windows 7 and when its finished its gonna be great, but for now its kinda buggy, I can't have 2 user accounts and have everything working ok, some programs are not computable as I read and a few other things. Its gonna be nice, but not my cup of tea at the moment. I still LOVE task bar and its going to be one thing I will be missing more from it, but...

I kinda remember now why I don't like BETA-s much lol But I do like Win7

ALSO ~ DID YOU NOTICE THAT COOL GLOW EFFECT WHEN YOU CLICK ON IE8 ICON IN TASKBAR ?? Its soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo coool

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Just some cool desktop stuff.
      Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Looking good indeed my friend!

I do like 3d stuff.
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Well.. As I was to delete Win7 I kinda noticed I missplaced my Vista DVD, so still using it lol

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Oh well, just for fun two screenshots of my desktop with another wallpaper.
      Attached Images Attached Images

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I just have to say that Taskbar + Win 7 = Oh My God ! Its not just shiny new thing, its really useful. I'm very surprised for much I'm liking it and I thought I was going to have it. Also, it has that "Expose" feeling to it that Mac users will now about. I know, its not about "bling", but I hope Microsoft pimps up a bit more Win 7 for final release. People want functional and pretty lol

This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius Quest View Post
      Oh well, just for fun two screenshots of my desktop with another wallpaper.
      I love your wallpaper, MQ! Is this one you made?
      ~Shalott
      "We do not own the earth, we are part of it."
      ~Chief Seattle~

My Blog | Last.fm | Current Weather

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Hi Shalott,

No, i didn't make those wallpapers. I wish i could though but it's not really my thing.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Okay, I am trying to hold out for windows 7 but my computer continues to fail me. You guys may not see me for a while...I don't know, I am on my work comp now, but, when I get home, I got to see whats going on. It wasnt booting into windows this morning.

Boy, I am sure glad that some of my harder homework, and the semester is all done! Thank goodness. But, I have to be ready for the fall semester.

Well, to the beach I go.....(got to get my tan on!...LOL)

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Bad hard drive....and 400 infections. Well, looks like.....I am still going to keep the computer...still waiting for Windows 7!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Let me tell you something hun and I think 99,99% people here will agree with me..

If you are in need of a computer and trust me I know how bad exam season can be, specially when its all year around you can't make mistake by purchasing any decent configuration computer anytime Also, any computer, even IBM's "Roadrunner" becomes outdated in a matter of days these days, but it will be usable for a LONG, long time, all depending on the user. My last PC worked more then 6 years for me and given money / quality / usability it was a great computer.

If you need a descend speed computer, not a "wild" graphics card (maybe run casual games) you can get a new computer now, one that runs Vista good will also run Windows 7 as good and some say even better.

More important is, will you purchase desktop or a laptop computer ?

My personal advice is that if you seek desktop to go with PC, best would be to go with a custom made PC, it will save you some money, but if not, Dell has a great selection, from compact to really powerful and price is very acceptable. Few days ago real and official Windows 7 Release Candidate, build 7100 was released, so its my best estimate that Windows 7 will become standard by the end of this year, maybe.

On this link you will find something I would recommend anyone that is undemanding user like myself : http://www.dell.com/content/products...ref=dthp&s=dhs (there is a slim, desktop as standard and something called Studio Hybrid Desktop)

These computers are mid range so to say, but they will also run Matlab, Photoshop, Catia, Solidworks and some other popular programs that you might find in your school and I have to add, those are a great value machines.

This link will get you to the same thing, BUT there configurations are really high end and prices are also bigger : http://www.dell.com/content/products...s&cs=19&~ck=bt

As for laptop, my personal advice is to go with Apple. You can't really make a mistake there and you can also install and use XP, Vista or Windows 7 on it, but most people with Mac prefer its own operating system. As for buying a Mac, it will be a lot more money and models are due to be updated in June, also with new version of its operating system called Snow Leopard (sounds much better then Windows 7, rite? lol).

This is Apple's MacBook, a laptop that I plan to get for myself maybe by the end of this year, it all depends on my masters and some other plans with phd, but I'm 99% sure that it will be either Apple's MacBook or Sony's Vaio CS series. Mind that you can also get official refurbished product from Apple on their website and it will save you a lot of money http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...mco=MTkzOTI0Mw

Also, if you get a Mac for school, every august or something (maybe earlier or later I don't remember right now) you get a GREE iPod and I heard some people also mention printer or something like this, but I'm not sure. Its worth checking all your options out.

On the other hand if you want all Windows laptop, I would go for Sony's VAIO line. Yes, they are also a bit more pricey, but getting a laptop is not the same as getting desktop, its moved a lot and you really wanna a bit more quality, also they come in PINK lol

This is Sony Vaio I would get for myself, its compact, strong enough to support comfortable work and it can also run a lot of apps I need now or might need in the future http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=16154

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default win 7

Just installed win 7 , looks like the first actual improvements no a new os
      has finnally happened (they probably hired someone from Apple).

Anyway there was a specific program that would not run in win7,
      (amiga forever)
      So I went into safe mode and installed it from there,
      worked like a charm,
      So next time you have such a probem, give it a try
      DangerBird

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by DangerBird View Post
      Just installed win 7 , looks like the first actual improvements no a new os
      has finnally happened (they probably hired someone from Apple).

Anyway there was a specific program that would not run in win7,
      (amiga forever)
      So I went into safe mode and installed it from there,
      worked like a charm,
      So next time you have such a probem, give it a try
      DangerBird
      The only thing Apple has over Microsoft is that what Apple does with OSX is to bond it with specific hardware, Windows on the other hand you can install on ANYTHING, so in the end no one is better then the other, its just that their strategies are different

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Firefox 3.0.10 has been released last week and it's running great.

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Yep it's working out well. 3.0.9 crashed many times on me and had to return to IE8 just to get some Internet time without restarting.

Also Windows 7 is now in RC1! This means we are not far off the new OS release.
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

*Dust's off the thread*

So yeah, it's been a while since i posted something in here. Just to tell that i bought myself Windows 7 a couple of days ago and i'm lovin' it. After i used Linux for a long time, 2 years max, i returned to Windows. On my Laptop it's W7 and on the netbook i run XP at the moment.

The iMac is, well, still the iMac with Os X 10.4 Tiger.

Still dunno what happened to FireFox 3.6, it's seems that it doesn't run that great on W7 and freezes up every now and then. Back on IE8 at the moment.
      Last edited by Mr B; March 29th, 2010 at 09:59 PM.

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Cool! Thanks for reminding me about this thread.

Good stuff on win 7 upgrade, I'm loving it as its what Vista should have been.

I've upgraded everything Computer related too from my last post in this thread.

Laptop received 4 Gigs DDR 2 RAM, Windows 7 64bit Ultimate (System Builders copy) and 500 GB Hard drive.

Main Gaming PC received Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Intel i5 750 Quad Core CPU, Asus P55 Delux mother board with 4 GB DDR 3 1600 RAM and an ATI Radeon 5870 GFX Card. Good for the next few years gaming.

Yep will agree firefox does not like win 7 but Opera 10 works fine. IE 9 is starting to look good too.
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

I have just upgraded from XP to Windows 7, I took a risk as my PC is not high spec and I thought It might slow it down to an unbearable level. But It doesn't, it runs almost as fast as XP did which shocked me a bit. I skipped Vista because apart from the fact I didn't really like the look of it I had heard so many bad things about it.

I was fixing a friends laptop and he had 7 on it and after playing with it for a few hours I was impressed and decided to take the plunge, I must admit it looks fantastic,, I am still learning my way around it and discovering lots of cool new features but I have had very few problems (probably about a quarter of what I usually get with a new OS installation) Its quite big on shortcuts with favourites and Libraries but once I got the hang of it I was away.

So far so good and lot better than expected...

I also upgraded my broadband so now I am surfing a hundred mile an hour in a shiny new speedboat

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

sounds good indeed!
      Win7 is happy to run on stuff a few years old and if your GFX card is up to it you would never need to replace your pc to use it. Hope you enjoy it! us beta testers loved the year long testing session.

I love how well win 7 has been takin in so well by everyone, even the vista hates seam to like it.
      Funny stuff indeed as over 70% vista code is still there in 7 'under the hood', its just running under a new UI (user interface) that everyone seams to agree with.
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator