• Wtf
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Computer Thread

is ~ Enigmatic Soul...

I am:
      Innocent

Post Great system

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Black View Post
      running a custom designed pc with an AMD Phenom quad, 4 gigs memory, a 500G internal drive, 5 external drives (one TB each), an M-Audio Delta 66 soundcard with an external I/O box, an NVIDIA GForce 9800 GTS vidieo card. I have an M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi controller plugged in via USB, a Yamaha Motif 6 ES and a Triton 61 LE plugged into the the Delta 66, and a Shure SM 58 mic run through a Behringer effects board and into the PC via a Lexicon Lambda interface (works better for this than the Delta 66). Also have a Gibson SG guitar plugged in to the Lambda and a Fender Thunderbird bass plugged into the Delta 66.

I have no choice but to run XP with ASIO4All drivers since at least 50% of VSTis wont run on Vista (Vista isnt musician friendly).
      5 external drives of 1 TB each??? This is my dream… Having 5 TB...

At present i have 3 internal drives (all of them Seagate) 1 of 250 GB, second of 320 GB and the newest having 750 GB - a total of 1.3 TB until now...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Help

In my computer I have a
      MD Athon 64 X2 Dual Core proccesser

So it looks to me that I have 2 64bit proccessers, it came with vista 32bit,
      looks like I should have a 64bit version of vista,or are there possably
      reasons for this, like maybe the mothreboard is 32bit?
      So is it worth it getting a vista64, and are there any drawbacks,like compatability
      with softwares etc.

Anyway any help welcme,
      Freedom,
      DangerBird

Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Hey DB,

You have one processor but it has two cores inside it and it's 64 bit compatible, thats why it's called a 64 X2 Dual Core processor.

Your Computer can run the Windows Vista 64 bit OS (or any 64 bit OS)
      Your Computer came with 32bit as that's what most people need, plus a 64 bit OS may not be fully compatible with all your software where 32 bit would be. (more or less)

Right now 64 bit Windows will make your PC about 10% faster and it will allow you to add more than 4GB of RAM (32bit is limited in this regard)
      your PC would be more stable on a 64 bit platform and as more and more software is written in 64 bit code it should get faster and more stable as time goes on, but really right now a 32 bit os is fine for most people unless your planning to get/buy all new software to take the advantages 64 bit computing will bring.

Note if you change over to 64 bit without formatting your hard drive you may have to find 64 bit drivers for your hardware yourself.

I myself have been using Vista ultimate (Sig edition) 64 bit for a long time now never had any software compatible problems.

If your thinking of getting a 64 bit os I would hold off until Windows 7 makes it way on to the market and thats not to long away now.
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Thanks Gtoy

Sounds like they are downgrading machines to make it seem like there
      is a choice and ultimatly sell more - like competeing with themselves to
      beat some of the real competition - not a new thing for big bussiness
      though,
      It's too bad that there isn't more co-operation, we could all have the
      best that can be made and all compatable.
      I found a OS/10 tiger operating system that runs beutifully on my PC,
      It's not an official release, I guess it was dubbed a Hackentosh, or
      Pear PC.
      Too bad all my software is windows, next computer though will be a
      Intel MAC.
      Peace,
      DangerBird Oh HEY,
      I have a software suggestion - a little program called absolute uninstall,
      I think everyone notices a gradual slow down of thier PC, this helps.
      The main function is to clean up all the junk left from the windows
      uninstall utility, including the registry, another thing it does is a fast clean up
      of unused files and finnally a utility that I couldn't find for years, if you
      open your task manager that automatically begins running software
      on start-up you will likely find a load of programs that you don't need
      and other suspicious looking programs that look like a big jumble of
      letters slowing your machine down, anyway this will give you the abilty to edit the start-up file
      and speed up your machine again.
      OK, gone,
      peace.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius Quest View Post

If you want a good and free program try Avast Home Edition. It protect your computer from all the stuff i mentioned before.
      Thank you MQ ...recently my pc had many notorious visitors...trojans,worms,win32........,going by your recommendation i then installed Avast,it was very efficient and user friendly.

is ~ Enigmatic Soul...

I am:
      Innocent

For all of those interested in new Windows 7 development you can see the changes from Windows 7 Beta to the newest RC & Escrow releases

Windows 7 UI Changes

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Cool.. 7068 built leaked few days ago.. I wonder when official RC1 will be released

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Samael View Post
      Cool.. 7068 built leaked few days ago.. I wonder when official RC1 will be released
      Well, turns out I was kinda wrong and built 7070 already leaked lol This is fast

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

I am still shocked that I havent yet gave in and loaded up the beta!
      It's silling in my dvd drive and every time the PC boots up it asks do I want to run it... and I say no! Why?

Lol maybe I need time off.

Good luck to all those testing it, I know I would enjoy being there with you.
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by God's Toy View Post
      I am still shocked that I havent yet gave in and loaded up the beta!
      It's silling in my dvd drive and every time the PC boots up it asks do I want to run it... and I say no! Why?

Lol maybe I need time off.

Good luck to all those testing it, I know I would enjoy being there with you.
      Every time I wanna download beta its to big hassle for me at the moment. Every free time I have I spend it watching a movie or sleeping BUT, I will install RC1, because its the version most likely to be released as a final relese, also from what I understood (and please correct me if I'm wrong anyone, I'm not sure about this) when RC1 is out, updates will not be as frequent as they are at the moment, right ?

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Yep thats what I read too, I wonder why they are doing it this way?
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Yep thats what I read too, I wonder why they are doing it this way?
      From what I understood, they need to send early release model or RC1 to a lot of other people and developers in other companies so they can also do some work on Windows or their own software for Windows and this takes time and we all want it finished as soon as possible. What I do know is that OEM copies will most probably be RC1, like XP or Vista and you can update later. It will be soon how will Windows 7 position itself with new OSX, specially now that Microsoft has started to be a bit more brutal on Mac with their new adds. I will use Windows 7, can't wait to see it. Microsoft also said that new versions of Windows will be more frequent and this is also a good news

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Yep I'd agree with that alright,

Sure by the time Windows 7 is out they will have a load of updates waiting to be downloaded.

I'll be updating for sure as i've heard many good things so far, kinda what Vista was 'meant' to be...
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

is ~ Enigmatic Soul...

I am:
      Innocent

Post New Windows 7 versions

Now i'm running Windows 7 Build 7077 and i can tell you - this is the OS that you've waiting for so long time

Even when i installed Beta build 60xx it was smooth and very good, the only problem i had then it was my sound card (SB Audigy SE) drivers issue.

Now, on this latest Build 7077 version, everything is working like a dream.

Even Vista had its own failures on some parts, but now... with this new improved version is a big step and i'm proud to have this OS installed in my computer as main OS and not running it anymore in Virtual PC as i did...

It took me 15-20 minutes to install it, then it recognised all my drivers, except for sound and tv-tunner wich they updated (with Windows Update) after i connected it to the internet - then i started to install my programs and until now i don't have anything to complain.

The only thing that i miss is Quick Launch but, i discovered another great option in taskbar called pin/unpin program in taskbar.
      For example you have from default Media Player and Explorer pinned in taskbar and they're always in the taskbar until you unpinn them. a smart idea and a forward step for MS, then any inactive icon in tray zone, such your Anti-Virus or Winamp for example tray icon is hidden by default leaving you more space.

I've heard rumours, peoples talking in some forums about April/May for a possible final release... but those are only some rumours

Now, i will try to make some tests with Games to see the difference between old versions - Win XP and Win Vista...

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Cool stuff dude,

I like that your getting to grips and more so that you enjoy it!
      If we are only months away from release I may hold off that beta I have get a full copy when it's in the shops.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Peter
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Cool stuff dude,

I like that your getting to grips and more so that you enjoy it!
      If we are only months away from release I may hold off that beta I have get a full copy when it's in the shops.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Peter
      I hope that Windows 7 will be more reasonable priced. Almost 500 USD for Ultimate version Vista was a bit to much. I didn't pay for my last PC in hardware that much.

I waned to download 7068 few days ago, got fed up with waiting, its a good thing I didn't download, because of 7077. Turns out its not fake

I have things to do today, so probably tomorrow I'll test this baby, I also found a few patches to remove watermark and evolution date and stuff like that...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Enkde View Post
      5 external drives of 1 TB each??? This is my dream… Having 5 TB...

At present i have 3 internal drives (all of them Seagate) 1 of 250 GB, second of 320 GB and the newest having 750 GB - a total of 1.3 TB until now...
      I only have 2 internal drives; old 160 GB from old computer and new drive with 500 and its more then enough for me, I don't storage a lot of things, so I guess I don't really need more, specially with having 80 GB iPod Classic, but I guess its one of these 'time things'. In a few years TB will be small Even today I guess its small, there is a rumor that Apple will be releasing 2TB Time Capsule lol

Last week I visited local Super Computing Facility. We had a little tour with University or something and they have something like 30 or something TB of storage, 750 processors (Core 2 Quad) and a lot other stuff I don't know what they are for This cluster is a part of some other clusters in Eastern Europe that make in about 2500 processors, I think its called grid computing. Anyway, I wonder how many seasons of Desperate Housewives they might have there OR EVEN BETTER how will it run Mac Warrior

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samael View Post
      I hope that Windows 7 will be more reasonable priced. Almost 500 USD for Ultimate version Vista was a bit to much. I didn't pay for my last PC in hardware that much.

I waned to download 7068 few days ago, got fed up with waiting, its a good thing I didn't download, because of 7077. Turns out its not fake

I have things to do today, so probably tomorrow I'll test this baby, I also found a few patches to remove watermark and evolution date and stuff like that...
      Yep it was over the odds in pricing too be sure but if I remember right, I got mine for about 200 euro.
      I went to ebay and started bidding on one of the 'Limited Numbered Signature' copy's but making sure the number was very high as few would want it. (the lower numbers going for 5X times the amount I paid. paid a lot les then if I had got it over here in a store.
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Just for the sake of marking it. IE8 is out for download now.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

Been testing it and I like the addons you can add, er, on! (think Fire Fox)
      So far I'm liking it, it's fast and rock stable in use and anyway FF is crashing like a good thing on a more and more websites latley (evein the betas) so untill they get that patched it's IE8 time.

Just read that FF has over taken IE in use around Europe now. Maybe IE8 is the answer for this?

Anyhoo here is some info regarding the update:

New in Internet Explorer 8

• Accelerators help automate tasks such as mapping an address
      • Web Slices keep you up to date with changes in your favorite sites
      • Enhanced Tabbed Browsing helps you manage many tabs at once
      • Suggested Websites while serfing, it builds a profile and suggests sites for you
      • lots more, to much to list.
      optimized for Google:

• A Google homepage you can personalize
      • Preinstalled Google Toolbar with Quick Search Box
      • Your default search engine set to Google
      • Accelerators for easy access to Gmail, Blogger and other sites
      Google IE8 download here: http://www.google.com/toolbar/ie8/

Regards,

Peter
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I installed Windows 7 7077 this morning and... At the moment I feel like Vista was bit snappier, but I guess I'll have to wait untill I install all my programs and let everything settle in to make final judgement.

My biggest fear was taskbar and I have to say I LOVE IT. I didn't pin anything on it, but its very useful and I really enjoy it. Specialy the colors.

Windows Media Player 12 is a BIG SCORE for Microsoft in my book. I think this is first time I prefer using WMP over iTunes.

My 10 years old TV Tuner still works under Windows 7, so this is a big YES as well

Drivers ? NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER. I didn't install audio, ethernet,monitor, even printer was installed from updates. I think all Vista and XP dirvers will work without a problem on Windows 7.

Themes are also GREAT ! I specially like that you can shuffle wallpapers and automaticaly change them in time. This is very neat I think.

More from me a bit latter....