• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Results 61 to 80 of 140

    Thread: The Computer Thread

    1. #61
      Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      I am:
      ----
       
      Tzvika's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Umm..Israel
      Posts
      187
      Rep Power
      11

      Default

      I peeked at that website Peter, and i noticed its mostly dedicated to a software called Terragen. For all of you graphic designers out there - Terragen is a free and very complex software for creating photorealistic landscapes. I tried to dabble with it for a while, but then i realized i have no graphic skills what so ever so i quit . Anyone else heard about it?

    2. #62
      Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      I am:
      ----
       
      SoulChild's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Central North Carolina, USA
      Posts
      933
      Rep Power
      17

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by Mathius Quest View Post
      I can say that i don't have any problems with virus's, spyware and so on. And never will have, I run Linux on my laptop.
      Can you really say that you will never get them? Let me know more about Linux.....do you have a PC or Mac?

    3. #63
      Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings
       
      I am:
      Godly
       
      God's Toy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      Here!
      Posts
      2,983
      Blog Entries
      3
      Rep Power
      10

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by Tzvika View Post
      I peeked at that website Peter, and i noticed its mostly dedicated to a software called Terragen. For all of you graphic designers out there - Terragen is a free and very complex software for creating photorealistic landscapes. I tried to dabble with it for a while, but then i realized i have no graphic skills what so ever so i quit . Anyone else heard about it?
      Happy you liked it, Yep some really good work on that site, I can spend all day wondering over the pages.

      I've not used that software but I really should put it on my 'to do' list for when I have some spear time.
      Sumedha.

      Justified & Ancient.

      Owner & Administrator

    4. #64
      Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight
       
      I am:
      Geeky
       
      Mr B's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      There!
      Posts
      1,533
      Rep Power
      21

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post
      Can you really say that you will never get them? Let me know more about Linux.....do you have a PC or Mac?
      On Linux no virus can harm your computer because virus's are written for Windows which doesn't have any effect on a Linux based system. You even don't need a anti virus program. Linux has a firewall build within it's kernel, you don't see it, hear it but it is there. Also a hacker or say "cracker" won't have a chance to get into your computer because Linux doesn't have applications/processes running in the background that keep contact to the "outside world" like Windows does. Linux keeps the port closed.

      There was a official competition last year in which hackers had to crack a system. they could choose between a PC with Vista, a Pc running Linux and a iMac running Leopard.

      The Mac was hacked within 5 to 10 minutes. The Pc running Vista took a bit longer and the Pc with Linux on it was almost impossible to hack.

      If you want to know more about Linux and want to go deeper into the subject I can help you a bit. BUT.... I have to warn you. Linux is NOT Windows, so forget about running Windows programs on a Linux system.
      So no iTunes, Sony SonicStage and stuff like that.

      You know what Soulchild, i've got an idea. I'll open a "Social Group" on my profile page. Just give me a few days to set things up and provide it with more information.

      By the way, I have a iMac on which i run Mac Os X Tiger and a laptop with Ubuntu/Linux.

    5. #65
      Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      I am:
      ----
       
      SoulChild's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Central North Carolina, USA
      Posts
      933
      Rep Power
      17

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by Mathius Quest View Post
      On Linux no virus can harm your computer because virus's are written for Windows which doesn't have any effect on a Linux based system. You even don't need a anti virus program. Linux has a firewall build within it's kernel, you don't see it, hear it but it is there. Also a hacker or say "cracker" won't have a chance to get into your computer because Linux doesn't have applications/processes running in the background that keep contact to the "outside world" like Windows does. Linux keeps the port closed.

      There was a official competition last year in which hackers had to crack a system. they could choose between a PC with Vista, a Pc running Linux and a iMac running Leopard.

      The Mac was hacked within 5 to 10 minutes. The Pc running Vista took a bit longer and the Pc with Linux on it was almost impossible to hack.

      If you want to know more about Linux and want to go deeper into the subject I can help you a bit. BUT.... I have to warn you. Linux is NOT Windows, so forget about running Windows programs on a Linux system.
      So no iTunes, Sony SonicStage and stuff like that.

      You know what Soulchild, i've got an idea. I'll open a "Social Group" on my profile page. Just give me a few days to set things up and provide it with more information.

      By the way, I have a iMac on which i run Mac Os X Tiger and a laptop with Ubuntu/Linux.

      Oh yes, I want this!...and I will look out for your "social group" also.

      Oh, and no, I don't do iTunes or the sony stuff..LOL but, I do know that my (cheap) mp3 player wont work on it though...because my cousin has a Mac book, and even have the windows operating system conversion on it...but it wouldn't recognize it.....and then I was confirmed by a customer who tried it also and failed. But, I usually just take the music from my cd's and upload them on my mp3.....but, i usually don't download music.....(right now). So, yes I am interested...we'll talk more about it...

    6. #66
      Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings
       
      I am:
      Godly
       
      God's Toy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      Here!
      Posts
      2,983
      Blog Entries
      3
      Rep Power
      10

      Default

      I would not recommended Linux to any novice, end of story.
      Sumedha.

      Justified & Ancient.

      Owner & Administrator

    7. #67
      Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      I am:
      ----
       
      SoulChild's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Central North Carolina, USA
      Posts
      933
      Rep Power
      17

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by God's Toy View Post
      I would not recommended Linux to any novice, end of story.
      Well, I am not in an immediate rush...I can certainly learn....cause, you know, I can't stay in the dark forever....but, well, I guess you are right

    8. #68
      Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings
       
      I am:
      Godly
       
      God's Toy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      Here!
      Posts
      2,983
      Blog Entries
      3
      Rep Power
      10

      Default

      Hey now I'm not saying you should not give it a go, Hell I'm all for trying new things... But, well, lets put it this way, if I could not take care of spywere or a Virus myself, I would not be trying any new operating system.

      BUT thats just how I see it, maybe it will be just what you need and you can become our expert!

      Anyway whatever you do, I wish you the best with it.
      Sumedha.

      Justified & Ancient.

      Owner & Administrator

    9. #69
      Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight
       
      I am:
      Geeky
       
      Mr B's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      There!
      Posts
      1,533
      Rep Power
      21

      Default

      lol... Alright, I'll keep my mouth shut in this thread about Linux.

      It's true what GT said, Linux is not for any novice.

    10. #70
      Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight
       
      I am:
      Geeky
       
      Mr B's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      There!
      Posts
      1,533
      Rep Power
      21

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post
      I do know that my (cheap) mp3 player wont work on it though...:
      What kind of brand is this (cheap) mp3 player?

    11. #71
      Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      I am:
      ----
       
      patrik.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Stockholm, Sweden.
      Posts
      167
      Rep Power
      11

      Default

      Found this one on youtube. ^^

      Mc vs PC
      I would really love to kiss you but I just ... shaved my hair.

    12. #72
      Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      I am:
      ----
       
      Samael's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Posts
      289
      Rep Power
      12

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by God's Toy View Post
      I would not recommended Linux to any novice, end of story.
      I completely agree. My only Linux experience was with SUSE distribution and an old version of UBuntu that a friend ordered from internet. I have to say that it was very complicated for me at the time and maybe even now, I don't know, but I prefer Windows over Linux, even Vista lol Its much less complicated and as for viruses ? Well, if you update your Windows on regular bases, have any free virus and spy ware protection program you are set. Also, on Linux (I think, couldn't when I was playing around with it) you can't install Windows programs and games. As for Mac, everyone knows that I'm a huge Apple fan, but prices in Europe are CRAZY compared to Dell and what you get, so its not worth my money or my time I myself have custom ordered PC that I'm very happy with

      I was also thinking about one more thing and these are NET BOOKS.. There sub-notebooks are very interesting I think and its probably this platform on which we will see explosion of Linux, because people generally use them for internet and office documents. I think you can even install Mat Lab on them if you need it, so yes I think it will be interesting. Same with Google's GOS that is already pre-installed on some of there small notebooks
      Last edited by Samael; December 26th, 2008 at 04:54 PM.

    13. #73
      Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings
       
      I am:
      Godly
       
      God's Toy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      Here!
      Posts
      2,983
      Blog Entries
      3
      Rep Power
      10

      Default

      I,m so watching that vid. Within seconds it smacks of being made by a MAC fan boy... but then, wow!


      And then, yep it was made by Mac fan boy... ohwell.



      lol I love this:


      South Park Mac vs. PC vs. Linux

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-22E...eature=related
      Sumedha.

      Justified & Ancient.

      Owner & Administrator

    14. #74
      Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      I am:
      ----
       
      Samael's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Posts
      289
      Rep Power
      12

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by God's Toy View Post
      I,m so watching that vid. Within seconds it smacks of being made by a MAC fan boy... but then, wow!


      And then, yep it was made by Mac fan boy... ohwell.



      lol I love this:


      South Park Mac vs. PC vs. Linux

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-22E...eature=related
      I like video you posted We can make like 100 threads about Apple, but one thing is sure and that is that they sell more then just consumer electronics and that is design and a certain coolness that they make from their ads and stuff like that.

      I'm not saying they don't have quality products (am a huge fan boy), but some are very overpriced and over rated. Then again, its a harsh business world out there with more then a lot of manufacturers and they all try to get most from the market. Marketing and design are very important. Because, in all their commercials I never see Mac saying "he" has a Foxcon motherboard which if you ask anyone who ever put together a good custom PC will tell you its utter crap. Or that low-end MacBook didn't had a DVD drive until recently and its almost 2009 ! For money I could give for 2.4 MacBook, I'd get way better Dell with Blue-Ray burner and real HD screen. Would I ? Hell no..

      I myself love PC and Mac, but I see Mac more as a fashion thing, but if I need some serious work to do I want my XP and my PC. Also, because of current economics crisis I hope that people will think twise before spending money on new computers and this will force manufacturers to make better quality products.

    15. #75
      Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      I am:
      ----
       
      Samael's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Posts
      289
      Rep Power
      12

      Default

      I installed Vista Ultimate. I also played around to disable some stuff I don't like and its getting better and better Its not as fast a XP, but it gets the jobe done and it looks nice...

    16. #76
      Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      I am:
      ----
       
      Tzvika's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Umm..Israel
      Posts
      187
      Rep Power
      11

      Default

      Its maybe not computer-related per-se, but i really like the "Hello i'm a Mac. And i'm a PC" Commercials

    17. #77
      Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings
       
      I am:
      Godly
       
      God's Toy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      Here!
      Posts
      2,983
      Blog Entries
      3
      Rep Power
      10

      Default

      Yep I like em too.

      (wow first post today!... so much to do and little time)



      Anyway, I'm a PC and always will be!
      Sumedha.

      Justified & Ancient.

      Owner & Administrator

    18. #78
      Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      I am:
      ----
       
      SoulChild's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Central North Carolina, USA
      Posts
      933
      Rep Power
      17

      Default

      Hi guys! So, today I installed a dvd drive (all by myself...I am so proud!) It was actually extremely easy...and the hardest part was getting the screws off the old one! I have not changed anything, and this computer is from 2001. I have so far upgraded my memory...( I didn't do that by myself...but, it was done free at the geek squad) (I got people there...lol) and now the drive that has prevented me from burning cd's for the longest time. But, now that I am in school, I had to install software, so I couldn't go without the cd drive any longer! The next thing....I had to purchase microsoft word. I couldn't not believe it! Luckily I get a discount from Best Buy. I had it on my computer, but, I could not find the key code. It was the 2002 version, so now I have the 2007 office word, so I am sure it was worth it. So, yes, I will still purchase a new computer soon, but I am going to ride this one out just as long as it can go!

      BTW, at my job we have been selling these mini pc's that cost about $200-$250, and some of them are running Linux...and it seems as though Linux has become more user friendly since it has been first introduced.

      But, like i said, I will ride this out, and later I may even purchase a mini pc for my children.

    19. #79
      Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      I am:
      ----
       
      SoulChild's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Central North Carolina, USA
      Posts
      933
      Rep Power
      17

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by Samael View Post
      I installed Vista Ultimate. I also played around to disable some stuff I don't like and its getting better and better Its not as fast a XP, but it gets the jobe done and it looks nice...

      I am still using XP, but I get to use Vista at work, and I am still trying to get used to it

    20. #80
      Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight
       
      I am:
      Geeky
       
      Mr B's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      There!
      Posts
      1,533
      Rep Power
      21

      Default

      Quote Originally Posted by God's Toy View Post
      Yep I like em too.

      (wow first post today!... so much to do and little time)



      Anyway, I'm a PC and always will be!
      I am both, i'm a Pc and Mac.

    Tags for this Thread

    Bookmarks

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •