• Tired
  • Wtf
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Computer Thread

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Windows 7 will be released as a new OS. The first plan of Microsoft was to release it as an SP2 for Vista but after a while they stepped down from that plan. Being based on Vista, all the programs will be compatible with Windows 7.

I was wondering about something, if the official Windows 7 Beta is released and you keep using it, will it become the final version in time after all the updates?
      Last edited by Mr B; December 16th, 2008 at 10:26 AM.

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

Just found out that the Windows 7 Pre-Beta is an unofficial release and that it "leaked" out onto the net.

Many websites warn people not to download it because there are a lot of fakes around.
      I'll just wait for the official Beta release which can be found on the official Windows 7 website. The official Beta release will be somewhere in January, if it's not delayed again.

Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Yes as he said it here :

Quote Originally Posted by Enkde View Post
      running the new PreBeta 6956 of Windows 7…
      You will never have a time were any betas wont end up on the net.
      Like Sony with the 'home' interface, it's been in closed beta for two years now but I don't know anyone who doesn't have it already
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

So, I was just trying to download Webroot Spy Sweeper on my computer, because I am just noticeing that my DVD drive is not working....So, everything is going alright....I walk away from the computer to refill my cereal bowl...and I come back in it's the Blue Screen of DEATH!...but, I restarted it, and here I am. But, I think I am getting these small clues....maybe it's time to purchase new computer? This one is 8 years old....

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Just format it out I'd say, nothing can survive that plus it will be back to how it was when you first got it.

But yea 8 years is getting old for a PC, hardware is probably starting to fail now... Hell mine overhauled almost every year! Or at least formatted.
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by God's Toy View Post
      Just format it out I'd say, nothing can survive that plus it will be back to how it was when you first got it.

But yea 8 years is getting old for a PC, hardware is probably starting to fail now... Hell mine overhauled almost every year! Or at least formatted.
      Right, that was what I was going to do when I had the viruses last week. But since they wipe viruses at my job, and did it for me no charge...I thought it was all good. I can still bring it back....and yes, that will be my next option to reformat. I am going back to school in January, so I need a reliable computer. Computers are pretty affordable now a days too

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Sure are my friend.

First thing you do after you re-format it is put on a good firewall BEfore connecting up to the Internet!

But remember post here if you need help.

Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

SoulChild,

Didn't you read the advice i gave you that i posted in the thread "Privacy"?

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

The bulbs are on the same frequency as the printer 4 (2):

I enjoyed that

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I know I will be going way out of topic here, but don't you all think its strange how much we can learn from someone just by screen-shot of their desktop ? I for instance like my desktop clean and empty. I have 22" screen and I still hide start menu lol AND even in my start menu I delete or hide most things, only leave what I use. Only when I'm working on something I get it on my desktop. I'd be fun for everyone to show their desktops. Here is my... Dock on the right is only for my extra HDD I keep my media files on and link to a folder with my "school stuff"... I think classic shortcut are ugly so I installed this dock... Its nice...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Enkde View Post
      Here's a screen of my Desktop:
      Cool, you installed Vista Start Menu if I'm not mistaken ? I heard its popular.. I myself only installed Vista Inspirat Pack on my XP (SP3), because it brings only only LITTLE Vista I like and at the same time I get to keep my simple XP with no crazy and unnecessary functions...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

In the end I bought these headphones.. AKG K 432 P.. I'm not audiophile, so I asked around, said how much money I was willing to spend and I'm glad I got best for that money...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius Quest View Post
      SoulChild,

Didn't you read the advice i gave you that i posted in the thread "Privacy"?
      I don't know how I missed that? I am so sorry....but now on, I guess we should discuss it in this thread?

And Samael, that is so cool

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

I am a bit like you Samael I don't go in for adding stuff to my desktop, I like uncluttered, I only keep on it what I need to, I would probably get rid of the recycle bin if I knew how to...

desk.jpg

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

Noticed this earlier on the Sky News Site

Microsoft will rush out an emergency fix for its Internet Explorer (IE) software after the discovery of a flaw which allows hackers to take over PCs.

The flaw allows Internet Explorer to be directed to infected websites
      The company says it will release a patch for the web browser today, rather than waiting for its regular security update next month.
      The flaw was discovered last week and attacks are "spreading like wildfire", according to software security firm Trend Micro.
      The company's senior security adviser Rik Ferguson told Sky News Online: "It's a flaw that affects every version of Explorer on all versions of Windows.
      "The main problem is that there isn't a patch available, so it is very widespread."
      Mr Ferguson explained that many cyber criminals operate by using malware - software that is installed on people's computers without them knowing.
      The software can then run in the background and connect to servers elsewhere, giving it the potential to detect and then pass on confidential information.
      He explained that many pieces of malware are 'injected' onto websites across the world, often by cybercriminals who install them by using sign-up forms or other methods of interacting with a website.
      The malware then runs a piece of Javascript that can detect when the site is being accessed on Explorer, and it then activates and downloads the malicious software.
      Trend Micro believes as many as 10,000 sites have already been compromised, though Mr Ferguson said it is impossible to know how many might have been hit.
      His advice is to switch to another browser until the patch is released, as the malicious code only activates when it detects Explorer.
      Microsoft has rejected this advice and instead recommends putting security settings at high and turning Vista onto protected mode.
      Mr Ferguson said: "All of their solutions are going to make browsing less attractive, less interactive and a lot less normal."
      John Curran, head of Microsoft's Windows commercial business group in the UK, said: "Obviously when you are talking about a customer base of over one billion people, any amount of vulnerability is too much and any type of infection is going to see a large number of people affected by it."
      He added the flaw was primarily being exploited in China, where it has been used to steal passwords from gamers.
      Concerned users should click here for the latest advice from Microsoft.

You can download an alternative to Internet Explorer below

Firefox

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

I use animated wallpapers 'dream scene' so a screen shot here would only show a still of whats going on.

Sometimes I switch to a still wallpaper but always pick something from the terradreams.de website as they are always really cool things hidden there.

Here is a link, have a wander around.

http://translate.google.com/translat.../MainIndex.php
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

Cheers for that, there are some really cool images on that site

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
      Noticed this earlier on the Sky News Site

Microsoft will rush out an emergency fix for its Internet Explorer (IE) software after the discovery of a flaw which allows hackers to take over PCs.

The flaw allows Internet Explorer to be directed to infected websites
      The company says it will release a patch for the web browser today, rather than waiting for its regular security update next month.
      The flaw was discovered last week and attacks are "spreading like wildfire", according to software security firm Trend Micro.
      The company's senior security adviser Rik Ferguson told Sky News Online: "It's a flaw that affects every version of Explorer on all versions of Windows.
      "The main problem is that there isn't a patch available, so it is very widespread."
      Mr Ferguson explained that many cyber criminals operate by using malware - software that is installed on people's computers without them knowing.
      The software can then run in the background and connect to servers elsewhere, giving it the potential to detect and then pass on confidential information.
      He explained that many pieces of malware are 'injected' onto websites across the world, often by cybercriminals who install them by using sign-up forms or other methods of interacting with a website.
      The malware then runs a piece of Javascript that can detect when the site is being accessed on Explorer, and it then activates and downloads the malicious software.
      Trend Micro believes as many as 10,000 sites have already been compromised, though Mr Ferguson said it is impossible to know how many might have been hit.
      His advice is to switch to another browser until the patch is released, as the malicious code only activates when it detects Explorer.
      Microsoft has rejected this advice and instead recommends putting security settings at high and turning Vista onto protected mode.
      Mr Ferguson said: "All of their solutions are going to make browsing less attractive, less interactive and a lot less normal."
      John Curran, head of Microsoft's Windows commercial business group in the UK, said: "Obviously when you are talking about a customer base of over one billion people, any amount of vulnerability is too much and any type of infection is going to see a large number of people affected by it."
      He added the flaw was primarily being exploited in China, where it has been used to steal passwords from gamers.
      Concerned users should click here for the latest advice from Microsoft.

Somethings to read: http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/security/
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

Forum Moderator
      is The Dark Knight

I am:
      Geeky

I can say that i don't have any problems with virus's, spyware and so on. And never will have, I run Linux on my laptop.