Thread: Science Fiction

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

Default Science Fiction

Any science fiction fans on the board? I have been a fan of various SF from when I was very small, One of the first programmes I ever remember watching was Dr.Who with the then doctor Jon Pertwee who was an excellent Dr Who. (showing my age again) I love the overview of the Earth from a different perspective, but what appeals to me most is the characters who inhabit these far off lands, spaceships, spacestations. I have watched some shows from start to finish then watched them all over again each time finding something new.

Doctor Who holds a special place in my heart simply because I grew up with it, I love its new re-invention, Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant are both great in the part, I am looking forward to the Christmas special and to finding out who the new doctor who will be when David quits next year.

Very recently I watched the full season of Firefly, all 14 episodes and The Serenity movie.

What an amazing show I cant believe I had not seen this before, best show I have seen since Babylon 5 (another favourite) the tagline is “9 people looking out to space and seeing different things” The backstory is great and all the characters are very likable and watchable. I found myself laughing out loud a few times the humour certainly appealed to me. The character of River is especially intriguing with her amazing mental powers and agilty, This show has kept me hooked for the last few weeks. I am a bit gutted that thats all there is maybe Joss Whedon will figure out a way to bring it back in some form.

I also love Red Dwarf, Its probably my fav Sci Fi even though its comedy, The characters are excellent, especially Holly and Kryten the best news I heard this year is that they are making 4 specials to be aired sometime in 2009. I cant wait....

Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Yep big SiFi lover here too!

You name it and I'll be there watching it on TV (or net).
      The big budget stuff right down to home grown youtube silly stuff , I'll watch it all.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I think a lot of Enigma fans are also SF fans.. I like a lot of SF stuff, from series, movies and recently games From Star Wars to Farscape

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

Thats cool, do you guys have any favorite shows? I have never see all of Farscape only some of the first season, enjoyed what I watched though..

2009 should be a good year, some things to look out for:

Battlestar Galactica - Final Season - Preview

The final season of the new Battlestar Galactica returns on January 16th I cant wait for this, been looking forward to it for what seems like ages, It has been an amazing series. I never watched the original show so dont know what happens now they have reached Earth but have been addicted to this rebooted version. The new spin off series Caprica due in 2010 could be quite promising also.

Star Trek XI - Preview

What JJ Abrams is doing to Star Trek has been the subect of a lot of contention amongst fans who think he is deviating away from previous Star Trek too much and is rewriting the book. I personally believe it needed a re-boot and was becoming a bit stale so am quite looking forward to this new version. The last Star Trek I really enjoyed watching was "Deep Space Nine"

Lost Season 5 - Preview

Still 2 camps, still getting attacked left right and centre, good versus evil, (but which is which) Jack still being way too cool Locke and Said still being over dramatic, I love this show, It returns on January 31st, Dunno if you would class it as Science Fiction but I am really looking forward to it anyway..

And did I mention Red Dwarf

No Trailer or plot yet, just thousand of hungry fans like me waiting in anticipation..

Smoke me a kipper
      Ill be back for breakfast

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

From a very young age I was a fan of Star Trek (Original series) , I love the concept and ideas behind it.
      from there TNG and all the treks had me glued to my seat but DS9 I would re-watch forever...

If I had to pick a favorite show it would be something by Gene Roddenberry, I understand how he use to see the world and I can relate, maybe Earth: Final Conflict or Andromeda as once more I love the ideas behind the shows and it's message.

Right new I'm lovin Heroes
      I am happy to watch anything tech and sifi so bring on DR Who (All of them, old and new!) or anything star wars or Battlestar, even Red Dwarf related!.

Regards,

Peter

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Ooh ooh me too!!!

I love all the shows above except I never really got into Red Dwarf. I loved Andromeda too and shame it was taken off.
      I absolutely love Heroes...so cool!!!

Yes Gollum, I thought it was sad they find the two best ever Doctors and now they are changing again. I loved the storyline between the Dr and Billie finding eachother again...made me cry I have to admit!! Will the new one live up to the role I wonder??

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
      Battlestar Galactica - Final Season - Preview

The final season of the new Battlestar Galactica returns on January 16th I cant wait for this, been looking forward to it for what seems like ages, It has been an amazing series. I never watched the original show so dont know what happens now they have reached Earth but have been addicted to this rebooted version. The new spin off series Caprica due in 2010 could be quite promising also.
      YAY! BIG Galactica fan here! Cant wait for the series to continue. It had its times of sappyness, but still remaind genius.

Obviously i saw the LOTR trilogy and even have the deluxe directors special edition with 12 DVD's , i saw the original star wars trilogy and most of the star trek movies. I wouldnt call my self an avid fan, but i do enjoy SciFi.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I used to watch Red Dwarf every Saturday night at 11:30 (Doctor Who would come on right after it) in the 90's.

IT was the mose spaced out acid trip on steroids I ever ran across, and mixed with classic British humour, it was pure Genius.

Cat was my favourite.

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

Love Heroes great show

I hope the new doctor does live up to the role Lorri, fingers crossed, the jurys still out on who will be Tennants replacement, we still have 4 specials with David Tennant which im looking forward to..

Love "Lord of the Rings" too Tzvika as you can probably tell Looking forward to The Hobbit when it eventually gets made.

The Cat is funny, completely shallow and egotistic but you have got to love him with his thousand of suits, one for every occasion My favorite character is "Holly" with His/Her deadpan humour.

Babylon 5 was another amazing show, I have watched it from start to finish a few times and never tire of it, The whole story arc and universe they created was great with superb characters, especially Londo and Gkar.

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

I hope they do make The Hobbit!! I first read that when I was about 12 years old and thats when my passion for Tolkein began!!!

Yes Sean...will look forward to those!!!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I loved Pan's Labyrinth and even HellBoy. I'm sure Guillermo del Toro will know exactly what do to with the script that he will get, and considering its the same people who wrote LOTR, its gonna be nothing less than perfect.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Science Fiction?...hmm i remember jeepers creepers 1 & 2.....wow it was very well made and i was hoping for a part 3 but there are no signs of it.

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tzvika View Post
      I loved Pan's Labyrinth and even HellBoy. I'm sure Guillermo del Toro will know exactly what do to with the script that he will get, and considering its the same people who wrote LOTR, its gonna be nothing less than perfect.
      Yes I loved Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy. I have to say I love all the Marvel/comic book films on the whole! I am embarrassed to say I have a large DVD collection of them!
      Have all three X Men, Spiderman, Fantastic Four etc etc etc as my kids would say...oh the shame!!! lol

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Im a huge SciFi fan, but much more on the literary side than the film side, although I do enjoy a well made film or series like Battlestar Galactica. I have a scifi library that rivals a lot of libraries and includes every single Nebula and Hugo winner. Big fan of Frank Herbert, Stephen Donaldson (I think his Chronicles of Thmas covenant rivals LOTR) and Orson Scott Card

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Black View Post
      Im a huge SciFi fan, but much more on the literary side than the film side, although I do enjoy a well made film or series like Battlestar Galactica. I have a scifi library that rivals a lot of libraries and includes every single Nebula and Hugo winner. Big fan of Frank Herbert, Stephen Donaldson (I think his Chronicles of Thmas covenant rivals LOTR) and Orson Scott Card
      I remember reading Michael Morrcock books years ago and I would definitely recommend the Eternal Champion series and Dancers at the End of Time!

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

I read a few books of Frank Herberts Dune saga (Dune and Dune Messiah) a lot of years ago they were really good, at some point I will read the rest of the saga.

I am a big fan of Terry Pratchets books, love the craziness and humour of the Discworld series.

Administrator
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Ha, Discworld! loved that, loved the PS1 game too.
      "Did someone get the number of that Donkey cart"

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

Quote Originally Posted by God's Toy View Post
      Ha, Discworld! loved that, loved the PS1 game too.
      "Did someone get the number of that Donkey cart"
      lol The Discworld games were fantastic, I loved the old graphical Adventure games like Monkey Island, Lure of the temptress, Simon The Sorcerer , It was a masterstroke getting Eric Idle to do the voice of Rincewind on Discworld and getting other well known actors to play the other parts, (Tony Robinson, Jon Pertwee)

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

I have watched a few episodes of Stargate Atlantis and it looks pretty good

(yep you have guessed it, I only discover stuff years after they have have begun lol)

Anyway I have a few questions

1. Has anybody ever watched it? If so

2. Can you watch it without watching all of Stargate, I only ever watched the Stargate film and a few episodes of Stargate SG1 now and again. Is it a stand alone series or does it run on from events that happened in SG1? I understand that people, events and places will be mentioned in Atlantis but will it be difficult to follow without watching the previous show?

3. Is it any good?

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

I really like it Sean and yes to some extent it helps if you have watched SG1 but it will stand up on its own merits too. Its just a lot of characters and issues mentioned were from the older series but its easy enough to catch up on.
      I love the Stargate stuff as does Martin. The film was good but I have to say I loved Richard Dean Anderson as Jack O'Neill.