• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other vegetarians?

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Default Any other vegetarians?

For years I felt uneasy about the fact I was eating meat, but I kept doing it anyway just because it just seemed easier....surely becoming a vegetarian would be a lot of hassle?

Well, at the start of this year I decided to act on that little voice of conscience and I stopped eating meat products.

Numerous things brought me to that decision: principally the horrendous suffering that is inflicted upon animals just so we can eat something we don't even need to eat, the fact that vegetarian diets are healthier and significantly reduce the likelihood of developing cancer and also the significant benefits to the environment. Also, it was in part motivated by spiritual leanings, and I was advised that spiritual advancement is aided by a light vegetarian diet. One of the final kicks I needed was seeing the comment that people who claim to love animals and yet eat them and thus participate in their enslavement, suffering and slaughter are hypocrites of the worst kind.

That hit home...big time. And like Leonardo da Vinci, the ultimate renaissance man said, feeding on animal flesh is feeding on death and making your body into little more than a tomb.

I can't do that any more.

Becoming vegetarian was surprisingly easy and I didn't miss meat products AT ALL. In fact, there is an abundance of meat-free products such as Quorn that are not only better for you (and the environment) but which are absolutely delicious. I can eat with a clean conscience. The very thought to consuming animal flesh is now quite repellent to me. I also feel healthier and lighter overall...I can definitely attest to the benefits of a meat free diet.

Although I am a fierce advocate of vegetarianism and will do what I can to promote the cause, I respect other people's rights to make their own moral and ethical choices. I just wish people would actually think a little bit more about what they are putting into their bodies however and the COST of doing so...many people are quite unconscious about what they eat and the suffering that animals have to endure just so they can habitually eat what they've always eaten without having to think about the consquences. I would invite people to spend the day at a slaughterhouse and see then if they are still happy knowing that animals have suffered horrifically (yes, even in our supposedly highly-regulated industries) just so they could stuff their bellies with their corpses when there is a abundance of healthier and blood-free alternatives to choose from.

I don't mean to offend anyone, merely inform. I also don't want to go into debate. I don't do debating. I just state my cause and let it be and I let it go. Once expressed, there is no point in trying to win arguments. This is just, um, food for thought...

If there are any other vegetarians here I would love to hear your stories and chat about foods, recipes and meat free alternatives

is i am U

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I am a veggie....

What type of vegetarian are you ?

A vegan diet is a form of vegetarianism which excludes all animal products from the diet, such as meat, poultry, fish, dairy products, eggs and honey
      Fruitarianism is a diet of only fruit, nuts, seeds, and other plant matter that can be gathered without harming the plant.

Lacto-vegetarianism includes dairy products but excludes eggs

Ovo-vegetarianism includes eggs but not dairy

lacto-ovo-vegetarianism includes both eggs and dairy products.

Semi-vegetarianism consists of a diet largely of vegetarian foods, but may include fish and sometimes even poultry, as well as dairy products and eggs

pescetarianism (also called pesco-vegetarianism and described as a "vegetarian" diet that includes fish

vegetarianism originating in Buddhism, excludes all animal products as well as the fetid vegetables: onion, garlic, scallions, leeks, or shallots.

Macrobiotic diet is a diet of mostly whole grains and beans. Not all macrobiotics are vegetarians, as some consume fish.

Raw veganism is a diet of fresh and uncooked fruit, nuts, seeds, and vegetables.

Dietary veganism: whereas vegans do not use animal products of any kind, dietary vegans restrict their veganism to their diet.

I am a lacto ovo vegeterian....
      a few yrs ago my body told me what it needed...
      I got very sensitive to meat and eggs.....
      now i eat eggs again....

In canada its very easy to be a vegetarian most restaurants cater for veggies...
      I Found it very hard to get a away from eggs in most products....

Why am I a vegeterian ? This has nothing to do with the killing of animals like some ...."I think that the wrong way to think" ......

I do it for its health benifits and also because it's makes me feel healthy...mind body and spirit...

I am not saying that i will never eat meat again but , for now this is what my body wants and needs....
      Last edited by planetlove; May 5th, 2009 at 10:46 PM.
      This great, Supreme God of all the Gods is limited in one respect: He cannot take Himself out of you , anything or anyone else.You are the projector and the screen ...you are the movie and every player is you ....The Projector - The Bodys eyes ...the screen = the world and the universe you see...Know thy self ...

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I occasionally eat tuna or salmon but apart from that no meat (and I'm soon gonna cut those out too as I feel guilty about it!). I still eat dairy products but try to ensure that they are free range and/or organic. There was an expose done on battery farming here in the UK earlier this year which was more than eye-opening. The suffering these animals endure is horrific so I try very hard to ensure I eat free range dairy products.

Soooo.....this will be my first veggie Christmas, so what alternatives do you recommend to turkey? Quorn roast is a possibility, or nut roast or something.

is Living in my now

I am:
      Meh

Blog Entries

i have a sister who has been a vegetarian for most her life ..and occasionally it crossed my mind over the years but nothing really stuck to where i knew to do it.. but recently ive been thinking alot about this ,being a vegetarian especially as i get older ..i think we are meant to go off meat when we get older ..so ill be exploring the idea over the next few years ..definately why not ..
      Last edited by Rana; June 25th, 2009 at 07:26 AM.

" BE PRESENT "

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

I didn't realize there were so many classifications of being a vegetarian.
      I would probably fall under the category of 'semivegetarianism, in that I rarely eat fish and fowl and cosume dairy.
      As I became more ill with AIDS, my body made it loud and clear to me that I Needed more fruits, vegetables, and nuts than anything else. I actually crave more fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Meat consumption makes me very ill, so I avoid it.
      My body and mind are healthier as a result.
      I recieve what amino acids my body requires through Whey protein. I supplement my diet with a multi-vitamin/mineral.
      I can easily stop eating fish and fowl.
      Thank You Lucid. I think I will.

Growth Through Adversity

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oceanentity View Post
      i have a sister who has been a vego for most her life ..and occasionally it crossed my mind over the years but nothing really stuck to where i knew to do it.. but recently ive been thinking alot about this ,being a vegetarian especially as i get older ..i think we are meant to go off meat when we get older ..so ill be exploring the idea over the next few years ..definately why not ..
      Hi Rana, I think it starts as almost a little inner calling. It was like that with me. I just felt more and more than being vegetarian was something I wanted - or in fact HAD - to do. I kept putting it off because I thought it would be so much hassle, but in fact it was easy as pie! I thought I'd miss certain things, but in reality I didn't miss them AT ALL. The moment you make the commitment and get over thoughts of 'it'll be so difficult', it's actually remarkably easy, it just takes some time to get used to changing your eating habits. There are so many delicious meat alternatives - I love the Quorn range of products. They are tasty, convenient and cheaper than meat! Plus so much better for you - and the animals, obviously. I recommend gradually phasing meat out; I stopped eating red meat first, then some months later stopped eating chicken and other white meat, then later I stopped eating fish. I think that was the easiest way for me. If you'd like any advice or anything, then I'd love to help, so just let me know and I'll try my best. Trust me, you won't regret giving up meat - not only do you feel lighter and healthier physically but it's also a huge weight off the conscience for animal lovers like us

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
      I didn't realize there were so many classifications of being a vegetarian.
      I would probably fall under the category of 'semivegetarianism, in that I rarely eat fish and fowl and cosume dairy.
      As I became more ill with AIDS, my body made it loud and clear to me that I Needed more fruits, vegetables, and nuts than anything else. I actually crave more fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Meat consumption makes me very ill, so I avoid it.
      My body and mind are healthier as a result.
      I recieve what amino acids my body requires through Whey protein. I supplement my diet with a multi-vitamin/mineral.
      I can easily stop eating fish and fowl.
      Thank You Lucid. I think I will.
      I'm glad you've found a diet that is helping , Michael. I think a lot of it comes down to listening to our body. I always found red meat was very heavy and I never felt very good after eating it. I also think it's not great for very sensitive people; the vibrations of the animals who spend their last moments in intense fear and distress carry into the food and then into us.

What kind of whey protein do you take? I mentioned that I love the quorn range, there's also tofu - bit of an acquired taste but i really like smoked tofu. There are actually so many alternatives on the market that we're spoilt for choice
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Interesting this should come up - I just found the following article online. Basically if you want to help the Earth then perhaps the best thing you can actually do is go vegetarian....

From http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-w...the-new-prius/

We can’t have an Earth Day without stopping to consider how significantly industrialized farming and our diets are affecting the planet and animal welfare, in addition to the simple things we can do to change the direction things are going.

The article Vegetarian is the New Prius appeared some time ago in the Huffington Post, and begs the question, could it be so? Considering what we know about the effects of industrialized farming on the environment it may just be, and while the article is fairly old, the material is no less relevant today.

Taking into account that agriculture is one of the largest sources of greenhouse gasses, along with being a major cause of habitat loss, water usage and pollution, and of course an insane amount of antibiotic use, which could be making us sick, it seems that drastic and immediate change is called for. Not to mention, it’s the cause of suffering of millions of animals who are slaughtered each year.

From the article, “…feeding animals for meat, dairy, and egg production requires growing some ten times as much crops as we'd need if we just ate pasta primavera, faux chicken nuggets, and other plant foods. On top of that, we have to transport the animals to slaughterhouses, slaughter them, refrigerate their carcasses, and distribute their flesh all across the country. Producing a calorie of meat protein means burning more than ten times as much fossil fuels--and spewing more than ten times as much heat-trapping carbon dioxide--as does a calorie of plant protein. …researchers found that, when it's all added up, the average American does more to reduce global warming emissions by going vegetarian than by switching to a Prius.”

And if vegetarian is good, vegan is obviously an even better solution, and both are much simpler, and more cost effective, than buying a prius, solar panels and a composting toilet, with of course the ever so important benefit of alleviating the pain and anguish of farm animals.

If you need some inspiration, check out Farm Sanctuary’s new virtual tour that depicts the lives of farm animals and their Veg for Life campaign that includes lots of helpful tips for a veg lifestyle.

I’d also like to recommend Robin Robertson’s Vegan Planet, along with her blog. Both are full of great and easy recipes and have yet to let me down.
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

The Whey Protein I use comes from soy, milk, and wheat.
      And I completely agree that it is better for the individual body as well as the Earth.
      Thank you for very for the valubale information. Very appreciated.

Growth Through Adversity

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

I have just turned veggie and like most here...its something I have thought baout for a long time and as I mostly have veg or fish, thought it was a good time to go for it.
      I do eat fish (mostly because of my age and associated oncoming issues with that!! lol) and plenty of nuts, seeds, fruit, veg and dairy products.
      I changed mostly like V, for my health. I have had a hormonal imbalance and this has caused some problems for me. Due to the excessive amoutns of hormones pumped into meat etc, thought it was another avenue for me to try and re-dress the balance.
      I have been off (furry) meat for a month now and have to say I feel much better health-wise.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I tried vegetarianism for a while, but found that it diminished my energy. I admit that I eat meat, but keep to fowl and fish as much as possible. I do on rare occasions enjoy a medium-rare steak.
      Also, I assume that if one decides to become a vegetarian, heshe should consult a nutritionalist; an anemic may very well need to know what plant foods can supply the proper iron.

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Yes very much so Nathan!! I make sure I take plenty of supplements to ensure I miss out on nothing.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CyanoVeritas View Post
      I tried vegetarianism for a while, but found that it diminished my energy. I admit that I eat meat, but keep to fowl and fish as much as possible. I do on rare occasions enjoy a medium-rare steak.
      Also, I assume that if one decides to become a vegetarian, heshe should consult a nutritionalist; an anemic may very well need to know what plant foods can supply the proper iron.
      I also tried this. I think it should definitely be looked at on a case per case (person by person) basis, and keep in consideration that even if you try it, it may not work for you. Please pay attention to your body, and listen. With all my running and weight lifting, my body screems for protein. I do realize that you can get everything you need from fruit nuts and veggies, but happiness is a part of life and right now emotionally, I just can't be a vegitarian. I am a disciplined person, and have been down this road before so I know I can do it, it's just not right now. I think that the years I was a vegitiarian was not for nothing...My health and wellness have benefited from that, and I also learned alot about my body.

All that I am saying is the same for dieting as well. What works for some may not work for others and it may take years to find what works for you. It took my several years, yet I think I have found my thing which is running, and still continue to eat many things I enjoy keeping many things in mind that I have learned along the way, yet I find happiness in eating certain foods, yet not overexaggerate with it, but life is too short and I am not financially wealthy, so I choose to enjoy some foods from time to time even though my body may not technically need it. Feed the soul as well, feed your spirit, but control temptation or at least find the balance.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

You guys make a good point - everyone's body rhythms are slightly different and I guess some people's bodies need more protein like Elizabeth's.

Although I am a huge advocate of vegetarianism it has to be down to the needs of each particular individual. Even the Dalai Lama eats meat due to medical advice.

What I might suggest, and I hope you'll not think me out of line, is that people perhaps investigate ethical consumption of meat products - such as organic or free range products. Obviously in this current economy this is a luxury to some, but personally if I was to eat meat, I'd rather eat less knowing that I could eat with a clearer conscience. In fact, it's been recommended that by having at least one meat-free day a week we can have a massive effect on tackling climate change (the meat industry accounts for nearly a quarter of greenhouse gases currently being produced). Just teensy little changes like that - without having to give up meat altogether - can make a big difference.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default a favourite topic of mine :)

hi, have enjoyed reading through this thread. eveyone makes wonderful and valuable contributions.

i have been just about every category of vegetarian except for the full on, no dairy no eggs etc etc

it realy depends on where my health is at, where i am at spiritualy, emotionaly and holisticaly as to what is playing into my diet.

at times i am guided to have fish or chicken, but i do not eat red meat. i eat eggs, and cheese, but not milk products. i've been on soy products for near 20 yrs now. and am veryyyyyyyyyyy happy to say they have improved immensely!! ty!!!! to the soy gods..haaaa

numerous different reasons, health reasons and how i feel about certain foods at the times also comes into play.

a few years back it was discovered i have a B12 deficiency, not uncommon in much older people and can be an issue with some vegetarians aswell- i take b12 supplements now and do feel better for it. but that was what prompted me to re-introduce fish ( mainly some salmon)back into my diet aswell. i just flow with it, if i feel like some then i have it. usualy to me it is a sign that my body perhaps needs something it has to offer, like the B12 perhaps.

i however am not a chick pea- homous person either. yuck! LOL..i just simply do not like it!!!! i had someone say to me once. ' how can you be vegetarian and not like chick peas' .................LOL................i thought hmmmmm i could not for the life of me eat something i did not like.....just to uphold a name....LOL..... surely not all meat eaters love all kinds of meat???????

one of my fave foods, is simply diced potato with sweet potato (yam) tossed in olive oil -loaded with herbs and then baked in the oven. i usualy have it with a pack of 2 min noodles- or a salad of lettuce pineapple tomato spring onions and perhaps some diced cheese, easy! oh and on occasion i will have sour cream with it aswell. shhh!
      ~ Let your Soul and Spirit~ Fly into the Mystic~

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Hi Spirit-Sista, great to hear from you! I must say that sweet potato dish you described sounds deeeelicious, i must try that sometime!!! Thanks for sharing

If you or anyone else has any great veggie recipes, I'd love to see them

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit~Sista View Post
      hi, have enjoyed reading through this thread. eveyone makes wonderful and valuable contributions.

i have been just about every category of vegetarian except for the full on, no dairy no eggs etc etc

People that go that far are called "vegans." I could go vegetarian as I don't really care for the taste of meat (it's not an animal rights/conscience/PETA thing), but I just love teh cheezburgers too damned much. As for going vegan? No way in H!##!!

I could give up teh cheezburgur, but I will NEVAR!!! EVAR!!! surendar mah cheez! ...or ise kreem eethur, aktchally!

Cheez = fud uv teh Godzes.

[edit]
      ...and yes I have had they soy chese, BLECH!!!!!!!! as well as souy Ice cream (not that bad really). However, I want to caution MEN who eat alot of soy: Soy protein contains ESTROGEN, and can actually cause those who eat enough of it to grow woman things in odd places, as well as other feminine physical traits. It destroys the Testosterone balance.

There is an article in this month's "Men's Health" magazine on the effects of soy in the male body, and also:

"Australian researchers found that men who consumed a soy-rich diet had significantly lower testosterone levels than beef eaters. And as for red meat's artery-clogging reputation, a study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition showed that eating lean beef can help to lower LDL [bad] cholesterol levels while increasing HDL [good] levels." The key here being LEAN beef. I only eat 93/7 ground beef.
      http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...10cfe793cd____
      Last edited by messickc; June 14th, 2009 at 02:26 AM.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Exposition View Post
      Hi Spirit-Sista, great to hear from you! I must say that sweet potato dish you described sounds deeeelicious, i must try that sometime!!! Thanks for sharing

OMG!!! I DETEST the sweet potato. Until recently, anyway. I went to a restaurant that serves sweet potato french fries. I could eat them things till I puke then eat some more!!!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by messickc View Post
      OMG!!! I DETEST the sweet potato. Until recently, anyway. I went to a restaurant that serves sweet potato french fries. I could eat them things till I puke then eat some more!!!
      My favorite veggie recipe is just a good-ol' green salad with balsamic vinegar (no oil). Especially this time of year when I can make it with home-grown veggies.

However, I am weird in that I LOVE steamed Brussels Sprouts (steamed so that they are al-dente and NOT mushy-- I DETEST mushy veggies) tossed with a LITTLE butter and salt.

is emotionally drained

I am:
      Bemused

People that go that far are called "vegans." I could go vegetarian as I don't really care for the taste of meat (it's not an animal rights/conscience/PETA thing), but I just love teh cheezburgers too damned much. As for going vegan? No way in H!##!!

I could give up teh cheezburgur, but I will NEVAR!!! EVAR!!! surendar mah cheez! ...or ise kreem eethur, aktchally!

[edit]
      ...and yes I have had they soy chese, BLECH!!!!!!!! as well as souy Ice cream (not that bad really). However, I want to caution MEN who eat alot of soy: Soy protein contains ESTROGEN, and can actually cause those who eat enough of it to grow woman things in odd places, as well as other feminine physical traits. It destroys the Testosterone balance.

There is an article in this month's "Men's Health" magazine on the effects of soy in the male body, and also:

"Australian researchers found that men who consumed a soy-rich diet had significantly lower testosterone levels than beef eaters. And as for red meat's artery-clogging reputation, a study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition showed that eating lean beef can help to lower LDL [bad] cholesterol levels while increasing HDL [good] levels." The key here being LEAN beef. I only eat 93/7 ground beef.
      I read that same article. That is wild. Anyways, I don't think I could not eat meat. But who knows.
      What you allow, is what will continue

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

[edit]

LOL, cheese obviously has some kinda effect on you Christopher!! I must admit I really love cheese as well, which is strange cos when I was a kid I couldn't stand it! I really like it now.

As for soy containing estrogen, I have to admit I'd rather have estrogen in my body than dead animal....its not been that long since I finally quit eating the last meat products I ate, and now the thought of consuming dead animal flesh disgusts me. I often feeling like crying at the horrific suffering that animals endure at our hands and I would rather eat my own socks than be a contributer to that suffering. But that's just me.

Mmmmm socks....(Homer Simpson voice)