• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other vegetarians?

is emotionally drained

I am:
      Bemused

This might not be the right place to ask this question, but since it does deal with the topic, I will ask it anyway. Some of you feel that we should not eat meat. I can and do respect that.

My question is: We are animals, some animals are built to live off of plants alone. We are not built that way. Why would you go against what we truly are and that is meat eaters? We were made to eat meat. If that was not the case, then we would simply get sick when we would eat it. Why not accept that? I know some people do it to lose weight or whatever the reason, but when people start to belief that eating meat is disgusting and things of that nature, what brings you to that point when clearly we are made to do so?
      What you allow, is what will continue

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by inutero View Post
      This might not be the right place to ask this question, but since it does deal with the topic, I will ask it anyway. Some of you feel that we should not eat meat. I can and do respect that.

My question is: We are animals, some animals are built to live off of plants alone. We are not built that way. Why would you go against what we truly are and that is meat eaters? We were made to eat meat. If that was not the case, then we would simply get sick when we would eat it. Why not accept that? I know some people do it to lose weight or whatever the reason, but when people start to belief that eating meat is disgusting and things of that nature, what brings you to that point when clearly we are made to do so?
      Excellent question Inutero. I can only answer for myself, but I will gladly do so. I can best express this by recalling a conversation I once had with an anti-vegetarian who was expressing similar sentiments; basically suggesting that, judging by our teeth we are 'evolved' to eat meat. My response was that supposedly we have evolved since we dwelled in caves.

This is a different world and we are no longer primitive hunter-gatherers limited to a certain type of food in order to survive. When there is such a massive abundance of food available to us, including delicious and nutritious alternatives to meat, I simply don't know why anyone would WANT to live off meat. It's fair enough that they do; although I would invite them to visit their local slaughterhouse and if, after seeing the process actually involved in producing this thing we call 'meat', they still have no qualms, then fair play to them - they can eat heartily. Many people view animals as having no more rights than an inanimate brick, which is of course their prerogative.

But for me it's a moral choice. I personally could not look an animal in the eye and declare that my appetite was more important than its suffering or its life. I mean, I wouldn't be willing to eat my dog, would you? So why should I be willing to eat ANY animal? All are equally deserving of life and to be free of suffering. Who am I to decide which animals are worthy of being loved and cared for and which ones ought to be executed and ground into mince?

So I guess the short answer is I respect ALL life. Just because we humans are 'smarter' does not give us the right to deem ourselves superior to other forms of life and to use and abuse them as we see fit.

I don't mean to offend anyone with my opinions, but equally I make no apologies for something I feel very passionately about. (And you did ask...!!
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

is i am U

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I just put up a post living on PRANA .....
      tell me what you all think about that ....
      V
      This great, Supreme God of all the Gods is limited in one respect: He cannot take Himself out of you , anything or anyone else.You are the projector and the screen ...you are the movie and every player is you ....The Projector - The Bodys eyes ...the screen = the world and the universe you see...Know thy self ...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by planetlove View Post
      I just put up a post living on PRANA .....
      tell me what you all think about that ....
      V
      not sure if i am having a blonde moment LOL but umm where is that post?
      ~ Let your Soul and Spirit~ Fly into the Mystic~

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

hello~

actualy i am not built that way. i am unable to digest red meats and i am not alone. it is much more common than we think.
      i eat white meats, fish and chicken on occasion, but even then it is not something i can eat a lot of.

this was discovered when i was young. it then led me to research and learn more as i got older, that we are actualy designed more so as non meat eaters than meat eaters. there is a wealth of information aviaible to support this, also however you can also find those for the meat eater design aswell. depends on who they are and what their interest is most of the time as to who is doing the research and writing the articles.

a lot of spiritual groups also put out good information and theorys on , being more at peace by not eating meat. they beleive that to be living a life of peace and compassion does not fall in line with killing and eating animals.

i tend to agree, as it makes sense to me

and well the more i have learned of the process of meats, from animal to the table..it just realy puts me off to be honest.

sometimes i obviously choose to ignore that because i do eat the chicken and fish meats at times, but i am even wanting to change that- ignoring the issue doesn't sit well with me

is emotionally drained

I am:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Exposition View Post
      Excellent question Inutero. I can only answer for myself, but I will gladly do so. I can best express this by recalling a conversation I once had with an anti-vegetarian who was expressing similar sentiments; basically suggesting that, judging by our teeth we are 'evolved' to eat meat. My response was that supposedly we have evolved since we dwelled in caves.

This is a different world and we are no longer primitive hunter-gatherers limited to a certain type of food in order to survive. When there is such a massive abundance of food available to us, including delicious and nutritious alternatives to meat, I simply don't know why anyone would WANT to live off meat. It's fair enough that they do; although I would invite them to visit their local slaughterhouse and if, after seeing the process actually involved in producing this thing we call 'meat', they still have no qualms, then fair play to them - they can eat heartily. Many people view animals as having no more rights than an inanimate brick, which is of course their prerogative.

But for me it's a moral choice. I personally could not look an animal in the eye and declare that my appetite was more important than its suffering or its life. I mean, I wouldn't be willing to eat my dog, would you? So why should I be willing to eat ANY animal? All are equally deserving of life and to be free of suffering. Who am I to decide which animals are worthy of being loved and cared for and which ones ought to be executed and ground into mince?

So I guess the short answer is I respect ALL life. Just because we humans are 'smarter' does not give us the right to deem ourselves superior to other forms of life and to use and abuse them as we see fit.

I don't mean to offend anyone with my opinions, but equally I make no apologies for something I feel very passionately about. (And you did ask...!!
      But we are superior to all other life forms on earth. And I agree 100% that we should not abuse them. It is a cycle of life. Other animals eat other animals. That is a fact of life. I understand completely your example of our cave dwelling ancestors, but none the less, we are built to eat meat. Nothing changes that fact. I feel you can still respect all life and eat for your survival. I do not condone or agree with how animals are treated in slaughter houses, and no I would not eat my dog. But what would we do if it was a matter of life and death? Thank you for your insight on this. I am feeling you.

is emotionally drained

I am:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit~Sista View Post
      hello~

actualy i am not built that way. i am unable to digest red meats and i am not alone. it is much more common than we think.
      i eat white meats, fish and chicken on occasion, but even then it is not something i can eat a lot of.

this was discovered when i was young. it then led me to research and learn more as i got older, that we are actualy designed more so as non meat eaters than meat eaters. there is a wealth of information aviaible to support this, also however you can also find those for the meat eater design aswell. depends on who they are and what their interest is most of the time as to who is doing the research and writing the articles.

a lot of spiritual groups also put out good information and theorys on , being more at peace by not eating meat. they beleive that to be living a life of peace and compassion does not fall in line with killing and eating animals.

i tend to agree, as it makes sense to me

and well the more i have learned of the process of meats, from animal to the table..it just realy puts me off to be honest.

sometimes i obviously choose to ignore that because i do eat the chicken and fish meats at times, but i am even wanting to change that- ignoring the issue doesn't sit well with me
      I respect your post Sista. But, I must say that I am not one to go off someone's belief system. I tend to look at everything and make up my own judgement. I mostly go with logic though. If I did go by people's "belief system", I probably would not be here today. To each their own. That is what makes the world go round.

Of course as with your case, there are always exceptions to any rule. But I am talking in sense of majority and not the exceptions. Just like some people are allergic to certain foods, or whatever the case may be. Most of us are made to eat meat and I am merely trying to understand the thought process behind this topic. Thank you for your post. Very informative.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I respect your post Sista. But, I must say that I am not one to go off someone's belief system. I tend to look at everything and make up my own judgement. I mostly go with logic though. If I did go by people's "belief system", I probably would not be here today. To each their own. That is what makes the world go round.

Of course as with your case, there are always exceptions to any rule. But I am talking in sense of majority and not the exceptions. Just like some people are allergic to certain foods, or whatever the case may be. Most of us are made to eat meat and I am merely trying to understand the thought process behind this topic. Thank you for your post. Very informative.

sorry if i offended you, i didn't think i was putting or trying to push my own beleif system onto anyone else at all. you asked a question i answered from my own experiences and thoughts.

as i said in my post there is a lot of information out there to support that humans are actualy more designed to be non meat eaters than meat eaters, not my belief system just what i have discovered over the years.

good luck on your endeavour.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default my fave pizza recipe simple!!!

This is a realy popular meal in our house. I have the vegetarian kind, my husband who is a full on meat and potato man has the different kind

we each make our own, put on them what we want and love to eat. simple quick and easy. fresh and yummmmmmmmm

wholemeal pita bread rounds
      pizza sauce base

i usualy have
      spring onions
      tomato
      pineapple
      cheese ( not too much)
      occasoinaly banana
      i dont' mind bell peppers and will occasionaly add them aswell diced
      maybe some olives aswell

just place it all on top and put in the oven till done mm mmmm

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default juicing!!

one of my pride and joys is my vegie juicer. didn't cost much and does the job superbly!!

i have

one beet
      a couple of carrots
      about 3 celery sticks
      one apple

if i have some ginger i add that aswell. gives it some zing!!

i always tend to feel a little lighter and i don't know but i just feel different whenever i start my day off with this juice. my 11 yr old son loves to help me make it...but doesn't like to drink it..LOL..not yet at least. he thinks it looks and smells disgusting....hahaa i think otherwise! to me it looks and smells delishhhhh

is emotionally drained

I am:
      Bemused

sorry if i offended you, i didn't think i was putting or trying to push my own beleif system onto anyone else at all. you asked a question i answered from my own experiences and thoughts.

as i said in my post there is a lot of information out there to support that humans are actualy more designed to be non meat eaters than meat eaters, not my belief system just what i have discovered over the years.

good luck on your endeavour.
      No Sista...I was not offended. You simply did answer my question. I am totally cool with that. I will read up on what you have stated. Perhaps people rejecting meat is evolution taking its course on us humans. I was just trying to make a point that there are many belief systems out there and before joining the band wagon on one, I kinda like to look at all the options. Thanks for your post.

P.S. I have had a veggie pizza before, and I must say that it was pretty good.

is emotionally drained

I am:
      Bemused

For years I felt uneasy about the fact I was eating meat, but I kept doing it anyway just because it just seemed easier....surely becoming a vegetarian would be a lot of hassle?

Well, at the start of this year I decided to act on that little voice of conscience and I stopped eating meat products.

Numerous things brought me to that decision: principally the horrendous suffering that is inflicted upon animals just so we can eat something we don't even need to eat, the fact that vegetarian diets are healthier and significantly reduce the likelihood of developing cancer and also the significant benefits to the environment. Also, it was in part motivated by spiritual leanings, and I was advised that spiritual advancement is aided by a light vegetarian diet. One of the final kicks I needed was seeing the comment that people who claim to love animals and yet eat them and thus participate in their enslavement, suffering and slaughter are hypocrites of the worst kind.

That hit home...big time. And like Leonardo da Vinci, the ultimate renaissance man said, feeding on animal flesh is feeding on death and making your body into little more than a tomb.

I can't do that any more.

Becoming vegetarian was surprisingly easy and I didn't miss meat products AT ALL. In fact, there is an abundance of meat-free products such as Quorn that are not only better for you (and the environment) but which are absolutely delicious. I can eat with a clean conscience. The very thought to consuming animal flesh is now quite repellent to me. I also feel healthier and lighter overall...I can definitely attest to the benefits of a meat free diet.

Although I am a fierce advocate of vegetarianism and will do what I can to promote the cause, I respect other people's rights to make their own moral and ethical choices. I just wish people would actually think a little bit more about what they are putting into their bodies however and the COST of doing so...many people are quite unconscious about what they eat and the suffering that animals have to endure just so they can habitually eat what they've always eaten without having to think about the consquences. I would invite people to spend the day at a slaughterhouse and see then if they are still happy knowing that animals have suffered horrifically (yes, even in our supposedly highly-regulated industries) just so they could stuff their bellies with their corpses when there is a abundance of healthier and blood-free alternatives to choose from.

I don't mean to offend anyone, merely inform. I also don't want to go into debate. I don't do debating. I just state my cause and let it be and I let it go. Once expressed, there is no point in trying to win arguments. This is just, um, food for thought...

If there are any other vegetarians here I would love to hear your stories and chat about foods, recipes and meat free alternatives
      Hey Lucid...What changes did your body and mind endure once you went to all vegge? I have been thinking about going all veggies for the duration of about a week, but more so as a cleansing.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

But we are superior to all other life forms on earth. And I agree 100% that we should not abuse them. It is a cycle of life. Other animals eat other animals. That is a fact of life. I understand completely your example of our cave dwelling ancestors, but none the less, we are built to eat meat. Nothing changes that fact. I feel you can still respect all life and eat for your survival. I do not condone or agree with how animals are treated in slaughter houses, and no I would not eat my dog. But what would we do if it was a matter of life and death? Thank you for your insight on this. I am feeling you.
      Hey buddy, I appreciate hearing what you have to say as it's always interesting to consider things from all angles ("a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson). I guess I shared your viewpoint in the past. Eating meat per se isn't 'bad' because obviously it happens in the natural world. But humankind has long since slipped out of touch with the natural world. Unlike animals that eat when hungry - or indigenous tribes which just take what they need, we've created a monstrous industry in which animals are treated as objects, resources, free of rights and are cultivated and harvested as though they were nothing more than corn in a field...I know this is inevitable in an industrial society, but the enslavement and barbaric treatment they receive (I won't even go into the stories I heard that once and for all made me stop eating meat..) is really something that horrifies me. And if I continued to eat meat, then I'd be contributing to their suffering.

I don't personally agree with your assertion that humans are superior. I know everything in our society and the way we approach life seems to confirm this viewpoint, but as I have changed and sought to move deeper into making spiritual awakening the primary priority in my life, I've come to deeply feel that all beings are equal. I don't think the creative force of life creates 'greater' and 'lesser' species, in spite of the inferences we make based on levels of intelligence. I can look at a spider and genuinely feel that ultimately the same consciousness which animates that spider is the same consciousness which animates myself (although obviously the expression of that consciousness varies greatly according to the limitations of the form). So, I don't even swat bugs anymore. That doesn't really stem from a mental position or reasoning, so much as an inner conviction that I don't want to inflict any harm on any living being. Hence the reason I stopped eating meat - for a long time I actually had an inner conflict about it and tried to ignore and block out the implications of what I was consuming and the PROCESS of what got that product to my plate - a process that inevitably involves the pain, suffering, distress and ultimate death of a being that had as much right to live and to be free of suffering as I, or anyone else does.

I hope that makes some sense. I don't want or need to convince anyone that 'I'm right', we each need to look within our hearts to know what's right for us. But I do believe that as we as a species gradually grow in consciousness (and we HAVE to - the planet cannot sustain the human species indefinitely at our current level of unconsciousness and insanity!), then more people will feel this inner conviction to do no harm and that vegetarianism will become commonplace. It's a switch that I don't think will come from logical reasoning alone (the mind's job is to validate what it believes - and most people were brought up to believe that eating meat is 'normal' and 'right'), but from something deeper. I know that many people as they move deeper into the 'spiritual path', naturally switch to a meat-free diet. It seems like a natural impulse - and I might even say an evolutionary one.

The changes I noticed when stopping meat were better digestion (I always found meat heavy to digest and would feel it sitting in my stomach for hours), generally more 'lightness' and I think improved concentration. But the main thing was a clearer conscience and knowing that I was 'walking my talk' and being true to my deeper nature. I had put off the 'meat switch' for a long time because I'd assumed it would be difficult and inconvenient, but it was actually as easy as pie. I thought I'd miss things like chicken (I never really ate much red meat), but actually I didn't at all. I'm loving the many various alternatives and actually find that eating is more fun and varied now.

Thanks again for asking and I hope I made some kind of sense.
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

one of my pride and joys is my vegie juicer. didn't cost much and does the job superbly!!
      Sounds YUM!! Thanks for sharing Spirit-Sista, I am def gonna make a note of your suggestions. And I really want to invest in a veggie juicer...

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

The reason I don't eat meat now ( a recent change) is to do with not being able to digest it anymore. I eat fish and will eat chicken if there is nothing else and I feel my body needs it, but I am sticking to veg, fruit, nuts and pulses.
      I also found that as a person who has a hormon imbalance and most meat contains a certain amount of hormones, wanted to try and see if this had any impact on my health and I have to say it has had.

BTW ladies...I agree with Lucid...the recipes look delicious!!! Thanks for sharing

is emotionally drained

I am:
      Bemused

Hey buddy, I appreciate hearing what you have to say as it's always interesting to consider things from all angles ("a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson). I guess I shared your viewpoint in the past. Eating meat per se isn't 'bad' because obviously it happens in the natural world. But humankind has long since slipped out of touch with the natural world. Unlike animals that eat when hungry - or indigenous tribes which just take what they need, we've created a monstrous industry in which animals are treated as objects, resources, free of rights and are cultivated and harvested as though they were nothing more than corn in a field...I know this is inevitable in an industrial society, but the enslavement and barbaric treatment they receive (I won't even go into the stories I heard that once and for all made me stop eating meat..) is really something that horrifies me. And if I continued to eat meat, then I'd be contributing to their suffering.

I don't personally agree with your assertion that humans are superior. I know everything in our society and the way we approach life seems to confirm this viewpoint, but as I have changed and sought to move deeper into making spiritual awakening the primary priority in my life, I've come to deeply feel that all beings are equal. I don't think the creative force of life creates 'greater' and 'lesser' species, in spite of the inferences we make based on levels of intelligence. I can look at a spider and genuinely feel that ultimately the same consciousness which animates that spider is the same consciousness which animates myself (although obviously the expression of that consciousness varies greatly according to the limitations of the form). So, I don't even swat bugs anymore. That doesn't really stem from a mental position or reasoning, so much as an inner conviction that I don't want to inflict any harm on any living being. Hence the reason I stopped eating meat - for a long time I actually had an inner conflict about it and tried to ignore and block out the implications of what I was consuming and the PROCESS of what got that product to my plate - a process that inevitably involves the pain, suffering, distress and ultimate death of a being that had as much right to live and to be free of suffering as I, or anyone else does.

I hope that makes some sense. I don't want or need to convince anyone that 'I'm right', we each need to look within our hearts to know what's right for us. But I do believe that as we as a species gradually grow in consciousness (and we HAVE to - the planet cannot sustain the human species indefinitely at our current level of unconsciousness and insanity!), then more people will feel this inner conviction to do no harm and that vegetarianism will become commonplace. It's a switch that I don't think will come from logical reasoning alone (the mind's job is to validate what it believes - and most people were brought up to believe that eating meat is 'normal' and 'right'), but from something deeper. I know that many people as they move deeper into the 'spiritual path', naturally switch to a meat-free diet. It seems like a natural impulse - and I might even say an evolutionary one.

The changes I noticed when stopping meat were better digestion (I always found meat heavy to digest and would feel it sitting in my stomach for hours), generally more 'lightness' and I think improved concentration. But the main thing was a clearer conscience and knowing that I was 'walking my talk' and being true to my deeper nature. I had put off the 'meat switch' for a long time because I'd assumed it would be difficult and inconvenient, but it was actually as easy as pie. I thought I'd miss things like chicken (I never really ate much red meat), but actually I didn't at all. I'm loving the many various alternatives and actually find that eating is more fun and varied now.

Thanks again for asking and I hope I made some kind of sense.
      Thanks for your insight on the subject Rory. As I stated earlier, I am merely trying to understand the reasoning behind it all. I respect your input and decisions that you have made on this. I agree about the industrialization and process of how our meats are produced. My heart hurts when I hear or watch the cruelty that these animals endure. I do not hunt for this reason. I feel that we should only kill an animal with the intention of survival.

Maybe one day I will find the inner strength to not consume meats, but I will probably continue to fish.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I appreciate your asking, my friend, I have learned from our discussion as well. The best thing we can do is to look within and follow our heart and intuitive guidance in this issue. What's right for one person may not hold true for another, so in the words of Enigma 'follow your inner guide'

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default I don't see the confusion

That is pretty straight formard , right or wrong,
      this world is suffering from the lack of other species,
      let her Earth Live on!!
      beause humans decided they could take over,the place is rapidly
      going insane.
      Brian.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

~found this and thought i would post it here~ *S* i thought it was interesting and there are quite are few others out there aswell..
      Last edited by Spirit~Sista; June 23rd, 2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: peacefulness :)

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Please be aware of comments placed here and with the diversity of people viewing the site, we do not want to offend anyone. This site is non-judgemental and if comments are placed that may offend someone, they will be deleted.
      All points of view are welcome as long as they are respectful.

Please keep on topic!

Thank you.