• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf

Thread: Good TV / Bad TV / Good TV Gone Bad / Good TV, But For How Long ?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Question Good TV / Bad TV / Good TV Gone Bad / Good TV, But For How Long ?

This is going to be one of those brain exercises, but stick with me, I think I'm on something interesting here

I recently started watching "Veronica Mars" on TV and I thought of something that would be interesting to share. Now, I heard of this show before, was never interested, but there was nothing else on TV last week, so I thought to give it a shot. I was very surprised to see how good and "smart" this show was, I really haven't seen smarter show in a long time.

Naturally, after I sow season one, I wikied info to find out more and what I found out was very interesting information. The show was canceled after season 3 and was replaced by "*****cat Dolls Present". Of course, I thought how terrible, but soon after I realized that its very typical. From the wiki stats, you can see a large, but steady fan base, but I think net execs thought they could bank more money with reality crap that can be made for pennies and this is just sad. Mostly teens and tweens were watching this show and now they are watching something that is, lets just call it "stimulating in all the wrong ways".

People complain how much LiLo and Kardashians are a bad influence, but that kind of life is the only one presented on TV these days and most of it is fake anyway. Good for business, but not that real, even for a reality.

That was my first point and my second is coming right now. It's also nothing new that a smart show starts getting very, very stupid and pointless after some time and yet "they" keep producing it because of large fan base. Such shows as: "OC", "Desperate Housewives", "How I Meet Your Mother", "Grays Anatomy" etc. All of these shows were excellent and if only they ended the right way at the right time, that would be great. I was watching DH and HIMYM, seasons of bought series started last week, I tuned for the first episodes, but could not bring myself to finish watching, it was so boring.

This is going to sound bizarre, but I think of TV shows as organisms, and as every organism they should grow in a natural way, but some shows just keep growing until they become *insert C word here*. There is no better example for this then "Baywatch", remember "Baywatch Night" and "Baywatch X Files" (not sure about real name). Even my favorite TV show of all time "Only Fools and Horses" may had a season to much.

What happened with following a story, making a good TV, good peace of art and starting on a different one. Today, its all about cash cows and even now I can see that some shows are going to be a little to much, like maybe fourth season of "True Blood", hope not but well see. So, maybe its not that bad that Veronica Mars ended when she did.

These two different points, I know and yea, it sound a bit like a rant, but I would love to hear more thought on this.

P.S, Don't think I'm against trash TV, because I'm not, there are some things I watch from time time, could live without those shows, but very networks that make them don't really have anything better anyway

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I hardly watch anything on TV now. Very little appeals to me, it's mainly all style over substance or useless reality or 'talent' shows, which I'm so utterly sick of. Simon Cowell should be arrested for his crimes against not only the music industry but the TV industry.

Thank heavens for DVDs

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

I too, do not watch much TV, mainly because I have lost the interest in it and secondly I don't have cable ... but from what I have seen in the headlines on news pages online regarding TV shows and programs ... is that it seems like the quality and content within these TV programs is on a downward spirl covered in grease heading towards a black pit of sheer nothingness ... the industry is so wrapped up within itself, that it is only concerned with the 'bottom line' ... ie; ratings and money.

The saving grace and silver lining to all the nasty and senseless static of TV is that there are the public stations ie; PBS and other stations dedicated to education and 'brain food' such as Discovery, History and the like .... it is a small percentage yes, but it is a balance, which we have the power to choose what we watch on the 'tube' ...

And Rory ... you are right ... thank heavens for dvds ... and if I may add to that, thank heavens for Netflix (online dvd rental service here in the US)
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

The only thing I really watch on TV is sci fi shows and the occasional comedy but these can be in short supply, I am now dubious in investing my time on American shows as they just cancel them on a whim, somtimes leaving plots just hanging. I hate soaps and most reality TV (especially if they involve so called celebrities)

There is a lack of decent quality TV, and a severe lack of imagination, Why do they think people only want to watch shows that involves crime fighing or Hospital dramas or soaps.

Only Fools and Horses could never have a season too much it could have gone on forever.

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

I had given up on television programs. On infrequent occassions I may watch the national/international news, and even less frequently I'll watch a Nova or Nature program on PBS (public broadcasting system in the USA). I rarely watch DVDs but still enjoy them when I do sit down to watch one. I'm not into my PS2 games as I use to be. Most of my time in front of my television is spent using my computer.
      I just simply lost interest in the programing on television. The only exception to this is during times of extreme illness. And then it isn't as much an interest as much as it is passive white noise when I don't have the energy to engage in anything else.
      You do bring up some good point Samuel. Ty.

Growth Through Adversity