• Wtf

Thread: Carbon Based Lifeforms - Interloper

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Default Carbon Based Lifeforms - Interloper

This album deserves its own thread, as I absolutely love it! There have been some great albums this year, but at the moment this is perhaps my favourite and stands as one of the best ambient trance releases I've ever heard! Ohh and I know at least one other person on MW who loves it as much as I do (she may wish to post her own favourite track/s!)

I find it very rich and atmospheric, great to listen to while being creative but even better when listened to with a pair of good headphones, allowing yourself to be immersed in the rich textures, atmospheres and emotions. Love the way each song very slowly builds up to a climax.

Some highlights for me...I especially love the second half of the album, which builds up and melts into a sublime transcendent kind of state. It's definitely a consciousness elevating album, as the review below concurs. Grooovy man. Oh, and their previous album 'World of Sleepers' is also very worth checking out!

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

An insightful review from a website called chillbase.org:

The long awaited third studio album, from duo Daniel Segerstad & Johannes Hedberg aka Carbon Based Lifeforms is finally here. After having released a couple of mediocre tracks on various compilations and a modestly interesting EP, has it been worth the wait? The question to that answer has to be answered in a positive way, or rather in jubilation.

Slow throbbing basslines, layers of ethereal sonic tapestries accompanied by soft extended female voices creates a very peculiar and original take on the to this date known CBL formula, and genre as a whole for that matter, the production oozes freshness and innovation. The key here is not complexity nor is it intricate layers of sound, but intelligent composition pushing the right buttons at the right time. Genius and simplicity go very often hand in hand. I would like to divide the album into two halfs, the precursive and the elevating part. Let's talk a little about the precursive part. Here the bass is very prominent, there is a lot of nice happy melodies, the overall feel is groovy and energetic, it gives a sense of a dancing universe, or dancing Gaia.

This part is preparatory in the sense that it shakes you up, making you receptive and prepared for the transition in to the elevating part. The transition is initialized by 'Init'(T5), where the overall tempo is slowing down, gone are the throbbing basslines and happy melodies, the music heads towards a profoundly more contemplative but yet so much more magnificent and beautiful approach, with elongated ethereal tones and panoramic soundscapes. A very welcome addition are the not so often reoccurring but touching acoustic elements, these bring about a more mature and sophisticated touch.

This transition from precursive towards elevating is perfectly executed, there is no risk of the listener being pushed into something new, you are gently swept into this part. It's quite contradictory to call this part elevating since the listener is actually drawn into the internal world, but all of us who are acquainted with psychedelic experiences know that to “go up”, you must first “go down”. So the elevating aspect of the album comes only indirectly.

What the album manages to achieve is putting a receptive listener into a highly psychedelic state of mind. All of you who are acquainted with psychedelic substances know which state of mind I am talking about, and you also know how hard it is to enter this state without the help from a various array of different substances. How the album manages in doing this is because of two main aspects, (i) the music is of course highly psychedelic, but also (ii) the structure of the album as a whole is constructed in a way allowing for this.

Most downtempo albums fail in making this cohesive journey, because of the eagerness from the artist to infuse variety in an album by throwing in some devastating element in the middle or towards the end, CBL passes this test flawlessly. It's not that other albums can't accomplish the deed of being extremely psychedelic in their sound, but they often figure you already in a particular state of mind, or rather that the listener will sort of magically enter one. The only album I can think of trying the same goal is Solar Fields - Leaving Home, but that albums is flawed at critical points missing that consistent whole. To conclude what is really unique about this album then, is the feat of making a pristine journey from start to end, taking the listener deeper and deeper into a psychedelic state of mind.

I have always been wondering if music might have some greater or more significant meaning than just self fulfilling pleasure for the listener. This meaning has finally become clear with the release of Interloper. We are climbing a ladder, a ladder towards higher states of consciousness. Daniel and Johannes has given us a great many steps towards that always abditive goal.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

PS Pump up the volume!

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
      PS Pump up the volume!
      Naturally I 100% concur!!
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

is Living in my now

I am:
      Meh

Blog Entries

oh how magical and amazing ..thankyou my friend xx

" BE PRESENT "

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks for the post Bluestar,.....i've come across cblf many times in my quest to find the ethereal music but never really gave a serious thought until i read the above review

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
      Thanks for the post Bluestar,.....i've come across cblf many times in my quest to find the ethereal music but never really gave a serious thought until i read the above review
      Oh my goodness dear Naveen ... this album is soooo beautiful, you'll love it, I know it!!

How are you doing by the way ... good I hope!?
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

btw i'm sure you guys gave a chance to Solar Fields.....if not then please give it a try, you'll sure love it......

Quote Originally Posted by Narnia View Post

How are you doing by the way ... good I hope!?
      I'm doing good, very good....thank you

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Hi Naveen great to see you back!! Yup, check out the album, you'll love it. CBL's previous two albums "World of Sleepers" and "Hydroponic Garden" are also great albums.

I have indeed heard Solar Fields, another talented Ultimae artist! My favourites from him are "Movements", "Leaving Home" and "Extended"

Also be sure to check out an artist called Asura - the album "360" in particular is brilliant and addictive!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Hi again.....yes, cblf has grown on me finally, i'm hooked to it's albums lately, Interloper especially, M is one of my favouriest track along with supersede, central plain, right where it ends and the title track Interloper.....i'm listening to it on repeat ......thanks Bluestar for this thread.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Glad you're enjoying them Naveen, I love those albums, especially Interloper as you say. And yup, "M" is perhaps the standout track for me, such power and depth! Amazing