PDA

View Full Version : Christmas films

BlueStar
December 15th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Just wondering...what are your favourite Christmas/seasonal films?

I'll post a few of mine when I get the chance.

You first!

Kiran
December 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Oh it has to be Its a Wonderful Life!! Guaranteed to have me blubbing and an absolute mess but a great feel good film!
I also loved Home Alone and Elf - Will Ferrell was excellent in Elf!
I guess I am pretty much a sucker for Christmas feel good films!!

BlueStar
December 16th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I LOVE It's a Wonderful Life, it's one of my favourite films ever. It's also one of the most genuinely spiritual films ever created. The message is powerful and timeless. Life is tough, and with our minds we judge things as being 'bad' and lament that things haven't worked out as we'd like...but when seen from a higher perspective (as shown by the angel Clarence) we see how perfect things actually are, how we are all so interconnected and how we positively influence other people's lives without even knowing it.

It's a really beautiful, powerful and inspired film. Absolutely timeless and incredibly life-affirming! It's a real shame that it hardly EVER gets shown in the UK. I think it's only been shown once in he past 10 years. It's the kind of film people need to see, instead of some of the more crass and superficial Christmas films we get bombarded with. I'd recommend it to anyone :Boy_yes3:

Krash
December 16th, 2009, 11:45 PM
It's a Wonderful Life, which is a favourite of everyone I am sure.

But I really love the 1930's black and white version of Scrooge. That is my favorite.

And of course there is the Griswold's Family Christmas. I love that one.

Mr. Brightside
December 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I agree "Its a wondeful life" is an amazing film with a very real message

Another fim that I always enjoy at christmas is Casablanca, not a christmas film I know but its always shown at christmas in the UK and I always asociate it with this time of year

Like Lorri I am a sucker for feel good films, One film that I have always loved is Oliver

vd1iIqL6ijM

Narnia
December 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
1. A Christmas Story. .... Actually saw it in the threatre when it came out back in 1984! ... holy moly can you believe it!?
2. Home Alone. .... A classic!
3. Miracle on 34th Street. .... Reminds me of Home for some reason.
4. It's a Wonderful Life. .... Definitely the Christmas classic.
5. The Bishop's Wife. .... I just adore this film!
6. Walt Disney's - Scrooge. .... Have to have a cartoon thrown in there!
7. Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer. (1964) .... Totally cheezy and tacky - I love it!

Rana
December 17th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Oh it has to be Its a Wonderful Life!! Guaranteed to have me blubbing and an absolute mess but a great feel good film!
I also loved Home Alone and Elf - Will Ferrell was excellent in Elf!
I guess I am pretty much a sucker for Christmas feel good films!!

hey i watched its a wonderful life two days ago ! i do it every year and get teary every time like its the first time .. i also love Gremlins ..when its christmas ..the Gremlin in the bar who flashes makes me laugh.. and home alone 1 & 2 and of course my fav is scrooge ..any of them i love that story.

BlueStar
December 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Some great choices!!

I'm glad you mentioned A Christmas Story Polly, it's my second favourite I think! It's not well known at all in the UK and rarely shown, but I believe it's deservingly considered a classic in the States. If anyone hasn't seen it, you must! It's the memories of a boy growing up in the 50s and his determination to get a red ryder BB gun for his Christmas against all adversity ("you'll shoot your eye out!"). It's so funny and one of the most charming films I've ever seen. I love it. Reminds me a bit of my own childhood Christmases somehow - not that I was growing up in the 50s, but simply because of the family dynamics. Highly recommended!

I also love Muppet Christmas Carol! It is SO well done and surprisingly faithful to the book!! Really funny and heartwarming and Michael Caine is brilliant as Scrooge.

The Bishop's Wife is great too! It's another really charming and uplifting film, I love watching the oldies.

Some other ones I like are Scrooged (Bill Murray is fantastic!) and Miracle on 34th Street (both are good, but I think the original is definitely better).

Feeling waaay Christmassy now! :)

Rana
December 18th, 2009, 05:45 AM
..hey i just got the muppet christmas carol for my girls today ..we are going to watch it tonight ..yay !! "it starting to feel alot like christmas .." and i agree miracle at 34th street the original tops them all xx

BlueStar
December 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM
..hey i just got the muppet christmas carol for my girls today ..we are going to watch it tonight ..yay !! "it starting to feel alot like christmas .." and i agree miracle at 34th street the original tops them all xx

I love the songs in Muppet Christmas Carol. I'll be singing along from a distance, hehe.

Mr. Brightside
December 18th, 2009, 08:31 PM
.. i also love Gremlins ..when its christmas ..the Gremlin in the bar who flashes makes me laugh.. .

I love the Gremlins films, very funny, everytime I hear Frank Sinatras - New York, New York - now it reminds me of that scene in Gremlins 2 when they are all singing it :D

_m-GdmYc7RA

Kiran
December 19th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Oh the original Miracle on 34th Street has to be up there!!
I loved gremlins as well and Scrooged...Bill Murray was class in that!!!

One of my fave songs for Christmas from Gremlins
bp3v-6rwknk&feature=related

BlueStar
December 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Oh I love that song Lorri, I'd forgotten all about it. Makes me want to go watch Gremlins again!

I watched the colourised version of Its a Wonderful Life last night - first time I'd seen it! It was incredible, very well done (unlike some colourised films I've seen which aren't that great). It's weird seeing it in colour, but exciting and almost like watching it for the first time. What a beautiful, moving film. It should be mandatory viewing methinks :)

Anjou
February 20th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I also love Muppet Christmas Carol! It is SO well done and surprisingly faithful to the book!! Really funny and heartwarming and Michael Caine is brilliant as Scrooge.

Here I am again... newly discovering and perhaps reinvigorating some hibernating threads....

I have several favourite Christmas movies, but let me applaud everyone who singled out The Muppet Christmas Carol. My arm had to be twisted a bit to watch it, since there were (and are) so many good adaptations of the Dickens classic, but....

Was I pleasantly surprised! The movie is so much more than A Christmas Carol with Muppets. It is a wondrous film unto itself. Its charms should appeal to all ages, yet it does not sugar-coat the essence of the Dickens tale. The interaction between “human” actors and Muppet actors is seamless, and the music is spot-on. One song, in particular, “When Love Is Gone," is plaintive and heart-breaking in the best of ways. It is probably the best realized cinematic depiction of what Ebenezer lost when he lost Belle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfI_N0vyxaI

Anjou
December 12th, 2011, 02:26 PM
The 1947 Miracle on 34th Street is one of my very favourite Christmas-themed films.

Miracle on 34th Street. .... Reminds me of Home for some reason.

I never saw it when I was young, but, as a film buff, I had heard and read many positive things about it.

Some other ones I like are Scrooged ... and Miracle on 34th Street (both are good, but I think the original is definitely better).

I sought it out as a young adult and was completely entranced by it.

… i agree miracle at 34th street the original tops them all xx

I guess that each of us has a softer, sentimental side somewhere within, and this film truly taps into mine.

Oh the original Miracle on 34th Street has to be up there!!

I have not seen it in several years, so I think that I need to seek it out this month. I am in the mood.

http://ronhamprod.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Miracle-on-34th-St-5-1024x759.jpg

Narnia
December 12th, 2011, 02:35 PM
http://ronhamprod.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Miracle-on-34th-St-5-1024x759.jpg

I love this film so much!! :two hearts:

Kiran
December 12th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Even though not technically a Christmas film, I love Judy garland singing this...from Meet Me in St Louis...best christmas song ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g4lY8Y3eoo

Silverleaf
December 12th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Elf - watched this the other night very wacky :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jyCfRHumHU

BlueStar
December 13th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Elf - watched this the other night very wacky :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jyCfRHumHU

Elf's really good, watched it a couple of times now :)

Rana
December 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM
ohhh ive gone all mushy lookign thru these .... it IS starting to feel alot like Christmas !! can you believe its another year guys !! wish we could just all get together at someones house huha nd watch these back to back ! wouldnt that be fun xxxxx

BlueStar
December 16th, 2011, 07:50 PM
ohhh ive gone all mushy lookign thru these .... it IS starting to feel alot like Christmas !! can you believe its another year guys !! wish we could just all get together at someones house huha nd watch these back to back ! wouldnt that be fun xxxxx

Haha that would be so cool Rana! We could all snuggle together with mulled wine, mince pies and watch Christmas films together. Maybe we should do it via Skype? :D