PDA

View Full Version : Masonic Discussion

Logio
October 20th, 2009, 01:11 AM
http://mx.geocities.com/obrerosdeltemplo_81/imagenesmasonicas/logoot81-2.gif

There might be a renaissance when it comes to Freemasonry. This is most likely spurned on my Dan Brown's 'The Lost Symbol'. As a Master Mason myself, I am rather excited by the notion. Freemasonry is one of the oldest, if not the oldest Fraternities. If anyone has any questions concerning this great institution, I will be glad to answer...of course there are a lot of things concerning that I am bound not to tell...such as descriptions of rituals themselves.

Nathan

SoulChild
October 20th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Why would/should one want to become a Mason?

Logio
October 20th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Why would/should one want to become a Mason?

It's a moral institution for good people to be proud of their ethics; tolerant of others of different races, creeds etc...we Masons do not believe that we are above anyone. Here is a good quote I found concerning the craft of Masonry:

"A mason is a man who professes a faith in a supreme being. As a man of faith, he uses the tools of moral and ethical truths to serve mankind. A mason binds himself to like-minded men in a brotherhood that transcends all religious, ethnic, social, cultural, and educational differences.
"In fellowship with his Brothers, a Mason finds ways in which to serve his supreme being, his family, his fellowman, and his country. A Mason is dedicated. He recognizes his responsibility for justice, truth, charity, enlightenment, freedom and liberty, honesty and integrity in all aspects of human endeavor. A Mason is such a man."

-Rev. Jim Bilbrey, Ph.D.

I hope that helps. Also, since Freemasonry is not a religion, a Freemason interprets his belief in a supreme being his own way; for example, it is who he believes to be God, the laws of the universe etc.
Of course, I am still learning...and have a way to go...a work in progress, we are all rough ashlars (rough stones) seeking to refine our selves to becomes smooth ashlars.

Nathan

Jester Black
October 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Congratulations on achieving the 3rd Degree Brother Nathan. Will you be continuing through the Scottish Rite?

Logio
October 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Congratulations on achieving the 3rd Degree Brother Nathan. Will you be continuing through the Scottish Rite?

I think I will by 2011. There is still a lot in the Blue Lodge the I am assimilating...more than meets the eye.

Thank you Brother....if I'm ever in New York, I'll be sure to visit your Lodge.

Nathan

Narnia
October 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I am curious - not too long ago I finished reading Dan Brown's most recent novel The Lost Symbol - and it is laden with Masonic info ... what makes me curious - is to know how much of that information is accurate and true ...

Jester Black
October 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Ive not read the book Polly. But if its anything like popular conjecture, well lets just say that people have very vivid imaginations.

Logio
October 20th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I am curious - not too long ago I finish reading Dan Brown's most recent novel The Lost Symbol - and it is laden Masonic info ... what makes me curious is to know how much of that information in the novel is accurate and true ...

Ive not read the book Polly. But if its anything like popular conjecture, well lets just say that people have very vivid imaginations.

True, fiction can fill in missing parts of things already known...this can often be misleading...and sometimes dangerous.

Nathan

Narnia
October 20th, 2009, 09:08 PM

In the novel - the Masons and Masonic rituals are not painted in a bad light, but rather - a good light. It seems Dan Brown went to great effort in the novel to clarify a lot of the popular misunderstandings of the Masons and Mason traditions/rituals ... and it certainly has piqued my interest in scoping out the DC area when I get the chance ... :)

I myself, have never believed the Masonic Organisation was an 'evil' entity and or had 'evil intentions' ... it never added up for me.

Mr. Brightside
October 20th, 2009, 09:18 PM

I take it there are various levels of achievment to accomplish on the step up the masonic ladder. How many different levels are there? and what must a mason do to achive these levels? Is it studying, Years of service? Or is it specific tasks they need to do?

Logio
October 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM
In the novel - the Masons and Masonic rituals are not painted in a bad light, but rather - a good light. It seems Dan Brown went to great effort in the novel to clarify a lot of the popular misunderstandings of the Masons and Mason traditions/rituals ... and it certainly has piqued my interest in scoping out the DC area when I get the chance ... :)

I myself, have never believed the Masonic Organisation was an 'evil' entity and or had 'evil intentions' ... it never added up for me.

People sometimes vilify what they don't understand or are scared of...also, some religions feel that Freemasonry competes with religion...which is not the case...many Freemasons belong to an established religion.

Polly here are a few sites concerning the craft of Freemasonry.

http://www.ferndalefreemasonry.com/main/page_freemasonry_explained.html

http://www.masonicinfo.com/whatbelieve.htm

http://www.masonicnetwork.org/blog/2009/myths-misconceptions-and-conspiracy-theories-surrounding-freemasonry/

Nathan

Jester Black
October 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
There are technically only three degrees within freemasonry, Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft, and Master Mason. These comprise what Nathan referred to as the Blue Lodge, the essence of Freemasonry. Technically there is no degree higher than the third, Master Mason. Degrees are achieved through lessons that are meant to be interpeted on an individual basis. I really cant say more than that.

However, there are appendent rites that exist that take the craft to further avenues of personal discovery (personal discovery is the essence of freemasonry). The most prominent are the York and Scottish Rites. These have additional degrees, each of which emphasizes a different aspect of moral development.

I am, for example, a Knight of the Rose Croix, or the 18 degree of the Scottish Rite. The lessons taught in this degree are that man must have a new Temple in his heart where God is worshipped in spirit and in truth and that he must have a new law of love which all men everywhere may understand and practice. This degree affirms the broad principles of universality and tolerance.

In all the Scottish Rite adds 30 degrees to the 3 degrees of the Blue Lodge. The hierchy of the York Rite is different with 10 degrees broken up into three broad categories.

Mr. Brightside
October 20th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I recently went to an open air museum in England and they had recreated a Masonic Lodge from the early 1900s. It was very interesting. I could not find any information on the symbol on the wall (A triangle with a crown) I am not sure if different countries or lodges have different symbols but maybe you have an idea what it represents?

Heres a photo I took although its a bit fuzzy

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b340/Saltwater1000/Beamish12.jpg

Lion Spirit Walker
October 21st, 2009, 03:48 AM
The maternal side of my family was very much into the masonic order for as many generations back as I ever knew of, with even my sisters becoming involve. [Before anyone feels the need to jump in and detail who goes exactly where. Trust me, I already know all about it.] At every wake, you could see the rings upon each of their fingers going to the grave with them.
As a young teenager I was often asked to assist in setting up for various rituals and rites, which I did.
At sixteen I was expected to join.
But I declined acceptance.
With my maternal family history being what it is, I can walk into any masonic temple and be readily accepted.
Just a bit of trivia I thought I would throw into the conversation.
p.s., I know exactly where the masonic order origimated from. As such knowledge was passed down through my maternal family line.
As I had stated in my 'blog' thread, 'Sometimes I need to remember that not everyone here knows truly who I am.'
:radar.1:

brother
October 21st, 2009, 04:41 AM
hmmm ok so what roles do women play in the organization?

Lion Spirit Walker
October 21st, 2009, 05:16 AM
They tend to follow the rule of Sekhmet.

Jester Black
October 21st, 2009, 05:22 AM
http://comasonic.net/

Logio
October 21st, 2009, 06:12 AM
hmmm ok so what roles do women play in the organization?

Order of Eastern Star is the only branch of co-masonry that I am vaguely familiar with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Eastern_Star

http://comasonic.net/

This is very informative, J.B. Thanks!

They tend to follow the rule of Sekhmet.
That sounds of Egyptian origination, Michael; I haven't heard of it being a part of Eastern Star...but then again, I'm not that familiar with OES or any other co-masonic groups.

Nathan

SoulChild
October 21st, 2009, 04:33 PM
Were gays or any other group ever banned from becoming mason? and if so, then what changed? and how/who/what made the change possible?

Logio
October 21st, 2009, 05:18 PM
Were gays or any other group ever banned from becoming mason? and if so, then what changed? and how/who/what made the change possible?

It's not really an issue with the organization itself...people are not supposed to be prejudiced against anyone. It's a debatable point, because personal religion is not supposed to influence the way people vote members into the Lodge....however, homosexuality according to many people is considered an immoral thing. The question is: whose morals do we abide by?...It's like the same old debate about the way the Bible is interpreted...if that book is used as the Sacred Volume...but since the Sacred Volume doesn't have to be the Holy Bible, it has to leave the question open for interpretation. I do think Freemasonry is getting a little relaxed on this point, as society is changing a bit on this matter; morality is becoming more about such things as not harming others and not becoming involved in promiscious behavior.

Nathan

Jester Black
October 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM
there is no stance in freemasonry regarding gays and its essentially a non issue, although its generally up to the individual lodges In my 20+ years of freemasonry I have never run across an instance where a gay person was banned due to sexual preference, however. in fact there have been famous gay masons such as Oscar Wilde and J. Edgar Hoover who is believed to have been gay.

No group is excluded from regular freemasonry except woman and thats made up for by co-freemasonry which does include women. The difference between the 2? Only that. Everything else is identical.

I want to emphasize that the reason I was drawn to freemasonry (other than the self improvement) was because its all inclusive and has no restrictions regarding race, creed, color, religion, and/or political affiliations. You do, however, have to believe in the concept of a supreme being, so I guess one could say that absolute aethiests are not allowed membership. But you can believe in some obscure god from the amazon jungle and be a Mason. I have moslem, christian, jewish, hindu, native american and even santaria friends who are Masons.

And in truth, when you look at the historical record, the openeness and tolerance of freemasonry is one of the main reasons certain theological institutions have demonized freemasonry...because they see it as a threat to their control of the masses through dogma and fear. The concept of an open society in todays geopolitical climate is a direct result of the ideals embodying freemasonry at work. Not entirely, but theres no questioning the influence of freemasonry on the concept of freedom that led to the advent of the democratic ideal.

Logio
October 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM
I recently went to an open air museum in England and they had recreated a Masonic Lodge from the early 1900s. It was very interesting. I could not find any information on the symbol on the wall (A triangle with a crown) I am not sure if different countries or lodges have different symbols but maybe you have an idea what it represents?

Heres a photo I took although its a bit fuzzy

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b340/Saltwater1000/Beamish12.jpg

This looks to be Royal Arch Masonry, which is a part of the York Rite, that encompasses Knights Templar...Jester Black might have more info on the subject...although he is a part of the Scottish Rite.

Respectfully,

Nathan

MystEerieUsOne
October 21st, 2009, 08:41 PM
The Freemason phenomena reminds me of the Vatican and its cardinals, setting out to find a truth not everyone involved may actually want (and didn't see coming) once they get there, although it seems the Freemasons may be a little more open to it than the Vatican, which can't/couldn't help but run into itself after a while.

I am always concerned with any suggestion of a "secretive" society, in this very dangerous world so starved for Answers. There's definitely the question of selfishness and elitism (because there are no actual universal secrets, just distractions), but there's also one of survival, given how difficult it is to communicate with convention, so it is understandable that groups within society seeking something different/more realistic for themselves would isolate themselves as a way of creating a safe place for their exploration and seeking. Many questioning the conceived, accepted norm of conventional rationale, throughout history, have met their demise in the process.

All religions have their meaningful rituals of Existence, and are perfectly harmless if kept in context.

Bottom line, though, is that there is only One (unselective) truth.

FYI...

There's a two-hour program on the History channel tonight, called "Secrets of the Founding Fathers," about Freemasons, if anyone is interested.

Jester Black
October 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Its definitely not a Scottish Rite symbol although Im a little confused by it. One would think it would be the Royal Arch of the York rite as most of those symbols are dominated by the pyramid. However, I dont know of any Royal Arch symbol to have a crown (although you would think so), but I could be wrong on that. The thing is I saw a symbol VERY similar to this. It was a pyramid and a crown, but the crown sat atop the pyramid and in the body of the pyramid was "33". That would clearly indicate the 33rd degree. But only the Scottish Rite has 33 degrees and what I described is not the common symbol for the 33rd degree. i didnt know what that was then and im not sure what this is now, except that its not any Scottish rite symbol that I know. As for the York Rite symbols, its definitely not the Templars as theres no cross. But Ill admit Im not as familiar with York Rite symbolsand that could be a specific symbol for a degree within one of the York Rite orders.

Logio
October 21st, 2009, 09:45 PM
Since there is no Supreme Lodge that has jurisdiction over all Lodges, signs and symbols used may be a bit different from state to state or country to country...maybe much like differant organizations having differing coat of arms; it may be an insignia used in the past that is no longer used; or it may be an uncommon appendant body to the Grand Lodge of England, but this would be pure speculation. I did some searching on the Web and couldn't find anything concerning the insignia of a crown, within a triangle, within a circle. I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere...:radar.1:

Nathan

BlueStar
October 22nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
My experience with freemasons hasn't entirely been positive, although I have no aversion to the tradition itself and feel that whatever works for someone and resonates with them is cool. I totally respect you guys for following what is right for you. But I wonder if you could share your perspective on this issue.

It is well known that Freemasons scratch each other's backs. We used to have a neighbour who was an alcoholic and would regularly drink and drive and when confronted about this and warned that the police would get involve simply laughed it off saying that he was a freemason and so was the local policeman. In spite of his reckless, illegal behaviour he never once was accosted by the police.

Currently in our town the biggest scandal involves a property developer and a local councillor in the planning committee...and a building development which should NEVER have been granted, which contravenes every regulation in the council's own book and which has ruined the local area. Both are freemasons. In spite of over 100 objections, the property developer when asked by someone about whether he'd get planning permission apparently laughed and said 'planning permission? what's that?'. Now no one can prove that their freemason connections is what pushed this forward, but for many it goes without saying.

Now, I know some people who are freemasons and who I respect greatly, including Nathan and Jay. But others, such as mentioned above are among the most immoral, frankly reprehensible characters I've ever met. I don't blame the organisation for this, as I guess it could be the same with church-goers. A lot of people are in organisations for the wrong reasons.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this and the whole notion of dubious favours being granted among members of the freemasons simply because they are freemasons.

(I hope my comments have not offended you personally, that was not my intent. But Nathan did solicit questions and this is foremost on my mind).

Logio
October 22nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Lucid, I know that Freemasons aren't supposed to support others who commit crimes or commit favoritism -- which is an imbalance of justice. I guess there are some bad apples in every organization.....mainly good men though.

Nathan

Rana
October 22nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
i nursed a man until he passed at 99 years of age , before he passed some fellow freemasons came to privately do theor ritual ceremony to award him with his 75 years with them. it made him happy to be part of a club thats how i see being a Freemason .a club member . some people feel the need to be part of clubs and congregate similar ideas and notions in a shared space and have their created rituals happen in an orderly way ..thats cool , some people need that ,it makes them a better person . others choose to do it on a personal level .doesnt matter really.
a better word than "tolerate" other races etc would probably be "accepting " .. as i am of this club . thanks for letting us know about your club .

Jester Black
October 22nd, 2009, 06:00 PM
freemasons are supposed to extend a hand to anyone in need if it is in their power to do so, particularly other freemasons. however, that does not or is not supposed to include favors that are outside the ethical, moral, or legal character of a given community. no freemason should be afforded favoratism over anyone else because they are a freemason by another fremason or anyone else.

SoulChild
October 22nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Lucid, thanks for bringing about your question because that was certainly my next question and should have been my first.

As I read through the posts, I mean, I tell you, I got a feeling of fear for a second, and there Lucids post came about, describing my fear which is; if a mason were to harm me, is it possible that a fellow mason judge perhaps will let him off easy? This really brings a funny feeling to my heart because someone has already tried to harm me long ago when I was a teenager and felt they were above the law because they were diplomats....

So, as Jay and Nathan both answered the question with well spoken words, I guess what Lucid, or should I just say what I am asking is ....but does it happen? is it possible? and is it likely? that a fellow mason will look out for one who is in some sort of legal trouble?

By the way, my grandfather was a freemason...but, he didn't talk about it, nor did I know untill way later in my life. No one that I can think of continued with his tradition. He also was a member of the armed forces, and not too many of my family members followed in those tracks as well...perhaps two or three...

Jester Black
October 22nd, 2009, 11:09 PM
Can it happen? Of course it can happen. Human nature dictates that it can and most probably has at some point.It would be no different than if that someone that hurt you was a cop and he got easy because of it, or someone that went to the same school as the judge and it somehow came up, or something nuts like that. Masons are people like anyone else, flawed in ways we dont even know. But is it acceptable behaviour within the Mason community? In a word....no.

Logio
October 22nd, 2009, 11:52 PM
The instutition is supposed to be for the betterment of Masons and mankind in general...we are supposed to consider those inside as well as those outside the Lodge. As Jay said, human nature sometimes does its own thing. Here are the main virtues that a Mason is supposed to live by:

Within our Masonic education, we are exposed to issues related to fraternity and equality. The basic concept being that no man should consider himself better than another, that he should always be willing to contribute his time, talent, and resources to the betterment of Masonry and mankind in general, and to teach the principles of Masonry to our fellow Mason. However, before we can teach others Masonic principles we must understand and live those principles.

The lessons taught revolve around characteristics of moral excellence and responsibility that we should strive to emulate in our daily lives, within our families, as citizens in society, and in our Lodges. We can think of these virtues as ashlars or building blocks waiting to be arranged upon the Trestleboard where we are constructing our perfect moral and Masonic building.

What are these virtues? There are many and only a few are listed here: Prudence, Temperance, Chastity, Sobriety, Zeal, Honor, Fidelity, Punctuality, Forgiveness, Charity, Kindness, Generosity, Gratitude to God, Love of Mankind, Confidence in Human Nature, Truth, Justice, and Toleration.

As a Mason, one must strive to develop a character of moral uprightness. He must be true to his convictions, always follow the Masonic virtues, and resist the pressures of the world to lower one’s own standards. As Masons, we should be pillars of society and try to lift others up to a higher standard of moral and righteous living. As men and Masons our lives must be founded upon the highest principals of morality, integrity, and honesty.

Time does not permit each of these virtues to be discussed. Instead we would like to concentrate for a few minutes upon the last three Masonic virtues, which can be characterized as the crown of Masonic virtues, Toleration, Justice, and Truth.

Toleration. Toleration is the ability to respect the nature, beliefs, or behavior of others. Masonry teaches that every man has the right to his opinions and beliefs. No man has the right to dictate to another in matters of faith. Many in society have equated toleration with the acceptance of those beliefs and actions that are morally wrong. Toleration does not teach this view. While Masons should be tolerate of views that are contrary to our own, it does not mean we must accept those beliefs when they are morally wrong or conflict with the laws of God. Masons must practice toleration in our dealings with others and respect the right of the individual to his own faith and to form his own opinions. Masons must be defenders of toleration

Justice. Justice is equity, honor, and fairness in one’s dealings with others. It is moral rightness. Masons should judge others as we judge ourselves. We should always look for the good in others and their actions. We should believe everyone is honest and sincere in his beliefs and actions. Justice gives everyone his due, is not rash or censorious, nor hates sin so much that it loves mankind too little. As Masons were are encouraged to stand upright in our beliefs and deal justly with our fellowman.

Truth. Truth is the crowning virtue of Masonry. Truth can symbolize divinity and is the foundation of every virtue. The dictionary defines truth as fidelity to a standard and conformity to fact or actuality. Truth is most often used to mean correspondence to fact or with what actually occurred. As Masons, we should be sincere in all our dealings with others. Society today has a twisted perception of truth. People look for ways to pervert what actually occurred or was said to fulfill their own selfish goals. As Masons, we should stand for truthfulness and abhor the perversion of truth.

We should all strive to emulate the Masonic virtues. Toleration, Justice, and Truth: the great lights of Masonry. May they shine in our lives and in our lodges.

From: http://www.themasonictrowel.com/Articles/Freemasonry/philosophy_files/masonic_virtues.htm

BlueStar
October 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Thank you for explaining, guys. It was an important issue for me to raise because the freemasons around here have a reputation for the kind of 'I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine' and 'I'll look the other way' kind of behaviour among members. This might be a stereotype they've got around here which may or may not be fully warranted, although as I said I have seen examples...but of course within any organisation there are 'bad apples' who have the potential to use their position for misdemeanours.

I have never known much about freemasonry or felt drawn to it myself but I get the feeling and vibe that the underlying principles are honourable and positive. Like I said, I feel different people will be drawn to different paths depending on their personal predilections and characteristics and I endeavour always to honour that. I do appreciate you guys being so open and answering questions. I think sometimes the secrecy factor can create misunderstandings for people and sometimes fear as well, and being open helps to dispel that.

PS its nice to see you back Jay :)

Logio
October 23rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Lucid, have you ever been to Rosslyn Chapel? There was a lot of hype concerning it in 'The Divinci Code', but I have heard that there are some interesting achitectural symbols within its walls...possibly concerning Knights Templar and Freemasonry.

Nathan

BlueStar
October 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
No I haven't actually. I must admit I've never seen or read the Dan Brown books either, didn't really appeal to me. But maybe someday I shall see what the hype is about :)

Mr. Brightside
October 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Thank you for your answers Nathan, Jay, Its interesting stuff..

As for that symbol I never found anything either on the net, or were it was donated from to the museum, If I go back there I will try and find out.

Jester Black
October 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Lucid, have you ever been to Rosslyn Chapel? There was a lot of hype concerning it in 'The Divinci Code', but I have heard that there are some interesting achitectural symbols within its walls...possibly concerning Knights Templar and Freemasonry.

Nathan

Ive been to Rosslyn Nathan. And yes there are definitle masonic symbols on its columns as well as both Templar and Hospitaller symbols

Rana
October 27th, 2009, 04:56 AM
It's a moral institution for good people to be proud of their ethics; tolerant of others of different races, creeds etc...we Masons do not believe that we are above anyone. Here is a good quote I found concerning the craft of Masonry:

"A mason is a man who professes a faith in a supreme being. As a man of faith, he uses the tools of moral and ethical truths to serve mankind. A mason binds himself to like-minded men in a brotherhood that transcends all religious, ethnic, social, cultural, and educational differences.
"In fellowship with his Brothers, a Mason finds ways in which to serve his supreme being, his family, his fellowman, and his country. A Mason is dedicated. He recognizes his responsibility for justice, truth, charity, enlightenment, freedom and liberty, honesty and integrity in all aspects of human endeavor. A Mason is such a man."

-Rev. Jim Bilbrey, Ph.D.

I hope that helps. Also, since Freemasonry is not a religion, a Freemason interprets his belief in a supreme being his own way; for example, it is who he believes to be God, the laws of the universe etc.
Of course, I am still learning...and have a way to go...a work in progress, we are all rough ashlars (rough stones) seeking to refine our selves to becomes smooth ashlars.

Nathan

hi , just to confirm the reason i had written acceptance would be a better word than tolerate is because of what you had stated here in relation to be tolerant of other races ,creeds etc , fair enough what you said about being able to tolerate beliefs that are morally wrong ..i just thought stating that masons are tolerant of other races isnt good. without sounding like a lecturer but to use the wording tolerate in reference to a race can be seen as a racist remark .

Logio
October 27th, 2009, 06:22 AM
hi , just to confirm the reason i had written acceptance would be a better word than tolerate is because of what you had stated here in relation to be tolerant of other races ,creeds etc , fair enough what you said about being able to tolerate beliefs that are morally wrong ..i just thought stating that masons are tolerant of other races isnt good. without sounding like a lecturer but to use the wording tolerate in reference to a race can be seen as a racist remark .

Yes, good point, OE, tolerate is antiquated and could be taken as perhaps a bit cavalier...and very much offensive in the wrong context. I think the reason tolerate was originally used, was because even though differing people didn't practice certain systems of beliefs themselves; they tolerated the fact that others had those differing beliefs; and there are certain things that some people may not feel comfortable accepting because of their religious convictions. Since much of Freemasonry represents personal freedom of belief and thought, it may not always be possible to encompass full personal acceptance of all things people may believe to be against their religious convictions (even though we are supposed to be blind to our differences, inside and outside of the Lodge).
I admit (ashamedly) that it was fully unacceptable of me to use 'tolerate' in instead of 'accept' when referring to race...for that I apologize. Thank you for making me mindful of this, my friend.

Respectfully,

Nathan

Rana
October 27th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Yes, good point, OE, tolerate is antiquated and could be taken as perhaps a bit cavalier...and very much offensive in the wrong context. I think the reason tolerate was originally used, was because even though differing people didn't practice certain systems of beliefs themselves; they tolerated the fact that others had those differing beliefs; and there are certain things that some people may not feel comfortable accepting because of their religious convictions. Since much of Freemasonry represents personal freedom of belief and thought, it may not always be possible to encompass full personal acceptance of all things people may believe to be against their religious convictions (even though we are supposed to be blind to our differences, inside and outside of the Lodge).
I admit (ashamedly) that it was fully unacceptable of me to use 'tolerate' in instead of 'accept' when referring to race...for that I apologize. Thank you for making me mindful of this, my friend.

Respectfully,

Nathan

ohh Nathan .. thats ok ..i wasnt having a personal dig at you my friend ..and i see what what you mean when you are explaining here how the word tolerate came to be part of the code in reference to differing beliefs .. and i know you are a very concious person .. in all ways ..it just read wrongly and many people (im not saying freemasons have or do ..because i wouldnt know) would still have kept many of their codes and statements from a time where racism was broadly practiced and believed when many other people in society have re written these codes to reflect an equal society ..i just wanted to check with you and ensure this is being portrayed reguardless to having members who are of various ethnic backgrounds etc . love to you my friend xx

Logio
October 27th, 2009, 08:29 AM
..it just read wrongly and many people (im not saying freemasons have or do ..because i wouldnt know) would still have kept many of their codes and statements from a time where racism was broadly practiced and believed when many other people in society have re written these codes to reflect an equal society ..i just wanted to check with you and ensure this is being portrayed reguardless to having members who are of various ethnic backgrounds etc . love to you my friend xx

I have to tell you something endearing to me: a while back An African American Mason Brother attended our Lodge, and I addressed him as "Hello Sir". With a stern smile he responded..."No...I am not Sir to you, I am a Brother to you." It was a very beautiful experience to me. This is how we are to be to each other...as brothers.

Nathan

Logio
October 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Also aware that there are some groups that call themselves Freemasons which are considered irregular...sometimes these groups give Freemasonry a bad name...sometimes they are harmless. Lodges that are irregular do not have a charter with a "regular" Grand Lodge. The following may be a bit confusing for the unititiated, but is of high importance in that not all Masonic Lodges are the same; so, it's a good thing to understand the organizational content that specific Lodges represent: any Lodge should be able to present to you its affilations and bylaws in a clear and concise manner.

http://internet.lodge.org.uk/library/res-brodsky.php

http://www.mastersjewel.com/masons/mm/MM07.htm

TYPES OF MASONIC LODGES:

What is a "Regular" Masonic Lodge?

Regularity is the process by which individual Grand lodges recognize one another for the purposes of allowing formal interaction at the Grand Lodge level and visitation by members of other jurisdictions.

The largest collection of mutually recognized Grand Lodges derives its regularity from the United Grand Lodge of England (UGLE) based on a set of specific criteria. UGLE is considered to be not only the oldest, but the largest grouping of lodges.

What is a "Clandestine" Lodge?

A "clandestine lodge" is one that does not hold a proper charter from any Grand lodge.

What is an "Irregular" Lodge?

An "irregular lodge" is a lodge that does have a charterfrom a Grand lodge, but its Grand lodge is not recognized
by other Grand lodges.

Nathan

Logio
November 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM
There are a lot of changes going on in the world; in these changes are the possibilities of oppressive groups. Freemasonry has always valued the freedom of thought and that of disagreeing with the ways despotic governments; we did it fighting for taxation without representation from Britain.
We know that are not perfect...but we comprise humans from all walks of life who believe in the diversity of all men. Although we do not condone those who commit crimes or purposely harm others in mind or body.

Nathan

Logio
December 10th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I have been duly installed as the Marshall of my Lodge...I am in charge of bearing U.S. Flag for the Pledge of Allegiance...so what do I do? I have it raised so high that it cracks one of the light fixtures. How embarrassing!

Can you guess which Mason I am? I'll give you a hint: I am younger and thinner. lol.

http://www.wayfarers50.com/gallery/2009officers.jpg

SoulChild
December 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Nathan, you are a handsome gentleman! Do you feel uncomfortable being the youngest and slimmest?LOL I am sitting here viewing your pic, checking out the stance, the apron, the hand posture and the feet position.....:girl_yes3 (1)::drink:

Mr. Brightside
December 11th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Cool pic Nathan, shame about the light lol

What are those little blue and white aprons/bags what do the symbols on them represent

Logio
December 11th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Nathan, you are a handsome gentleman! Do you feel uncomfortable being the youngest and slimmest?LOL I am sitting here viewing your pic, checking out the stance, the apron, the hand posture and the feet position.....:girl_yes3 (1)::drink:

Thanks, I'm not as evil as I look; I'm just not comfortable in front of the camera...which makes me stick out a bit. We actually have some younger members petitioning to join the Lodge...so, I won't be the yougest for long...and actually I'm not the youngest..I'm 38; the man in the purple is 29...I just think I look the youngest...I think! lol.

brother
December 11th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Nathan... I might be imagining it but I see what looks like a bit of Scottish blood there. Isnt there an order with in the masons that wear kilts? Thinking you ought to go in for a change of uniform LOL
*kidding ;)

Logio
December 11th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Cool pic Nathan, shame about the light lol

What are those little blue and white aprons/bags what do the symbols on them represent

They are stonemason's aprons:

Mine are cross batons for Marshal
The man with cross keys is: Treasurer.
The Man with the 90 ruled angle is the Master of the Lodge.

The others in the back have other symbols on their aprons signifying their position...such as the secretary of the Lodge has crossed quills or feathers.

Nathan

Narnia
December 11th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I am in charge of bearing U.S. Flag for the Pledge of Allegiance...so what do I do? I have it raised so high that it cracks one of the light fixtures. How embarrassing!

How classic ... I love it!! :girl_yes3 (1):

Logio
December 11th, 2009, 03:21 AM
How classic ... I love it!! :girl_yes3 (1):

LOL! I know, I was like an episode out of the Bad News Bears...or the Movie 'Stripes'.

Nathan

Logio
December 11th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Nathan... I might be imagining it but I see what looks like a bit of Scottish blood there. Isnt there an order with in the masons that wear kilts? Thinking you ought to go in for a change of uniform LOL
*kidding ;)

I actually think the Scottish Rite (a branch or Masonry) wear kilts...

Nathan