PDA

View Full Version : world mysteries

brother
October 16th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I thought I'd share one of my favorite "modern" mysteries...

There are alot of theories about how the pyramids were built. This mystery holds the key I believe... and its not as far out there as we might think ;)

Coral Castle in Homestead, Florida, is one of the most amazing structures ever built. In terms of accomplishment, it's been compared to Stonehenge, ancient Greek temples, and even the great pyramids of Egypt. It is amazing - some even say miraculous - because it was quarried, fashioned, transported, and constructed by one man: Edward Leedskalnin, a 5-ft. tall, 100-lb. Latvian immigrant.

Many men have single-handedly built their own homes, but Leedskalnin's choice of building materials is what makes his undertaking so incredible. He used huge blocks of coral rock, some weighing as much as 30 tons, and somehow was able to move them and set them in place without assistance or the use of modern machinery. And therein lies the mystery. How did he do it?

It's estimated that 1,000 tons of coral rock were used in construction of the walls and towers, and an additional 100 tons of it were carved into furniture and art objects:

* An obelisk he raised weighs 28 tons.
* The wall surrounding Coral Castle stands 8 ft. tall and consists of large blocks each weighing several tons.
* Large stone crescents are perched atop 20-ft.-high walls.
* A 9-ton swinging gate that moves at the touch of a finger guards the eastern wall.
* The largest rock on the property weighs an estimated 35 tons.
* Some stones are twice the weight of the largest blocks in the Great Pyramid at Giza.

Working alone, Leedskalnin labored for 20 years - from 1920 to 1940 - to build the home he originally called "Rock Gate Park" in Florida City. The story goes that he built it after being jilted by his fiancée, who changed her mind about marrying him because he was too old and too poor. After wandering around the U.S. and Canada for several years, Leedskalnin settled in Florida City for health reasons; he had been diagnosed with tuberculosis. He began building his coral home in 1920. Then in 1936, when a planned new subdivision of homes threatened his privacy, Leedskalnin moved his entire home 10 miles to Homestead, where he completed it, and where it still stands as a tourist attraction.

How Leedskalnin managed this feat of engineering has remained a mystery all these years because, incredibly, no one saw him do it. A secretive man, Leedskalnin often worked at night by lantern light. And so there are no credible witnesses to how the small, frail man was able to move the huge blocks of rock. Even when he moved the entire structure to Homestead, neighbors saw the coral blocks being transported on a borrowed truck, but no one seems to know how Leedskalnin got them on and off the vehicle.

Lots of weird stories have been told and bizarre theories proposed to explain Coral Castle. And since no witness can dispute any of them, they are all worthy of consideration.

The Theories

* One story says that some curious neighbors did see how Leedskalnin moved the stones. They say he placed his hands on the stone to be lifted... and sang. Somehow this levitated the great rocks.
* According to an article in Fate magazine, "some teenagers spying on him one evening claimed they saw him 'float coral blocks through the air like hydrogen balloons,' but no one took them seriously."
* Frank Joseph, in the Fate magazine article, also writes, "Alternative science investigators suggest that Leedskalnin somehow learned the secret of the 'world grid,' an invisible pattern of energy lines surrounding the Earth which concentrates points of telluric power where they intersect. It was here, at one of these intersections of Earth energy, that he was supposedly able to move his prodigious stone blocks using the unseen power of our planet." Yet that still does no explain how Leedskalnin was able to tap this power, and others cannot.
* Coral Castle quotes J. Cathie, a captain flying with National Airways Corp. of New Zealand, as saying: "Measurements from the Coral Castle position to the zero-degree and 90-degree longitude lines, when they passed through the equator, also yielded harmonics related to light and gravity. The final check of the distance between Coral Castle and grid pole A in the north, dispelled any doubt about the site being in an ideal position to allow Leedskalnin to erect the huge blocks of coral with relative ease. Measurements from all major points gave the geometric harmonics necessary for the manipulation of anti-gravity." Cathie also believes that this energy grid is also responsible for many UFO sightings.
* In an article by called "The Coral Castle Mystery" in Atlantis Rising, author Christopher Dunn asserts: "What if there's no such thing as gravity? And the natural forces we already know about are sufficient to explain the noted phenomena we have labeled as gravity? Perhaps Leedskalnin's means of working with the Earth's gravitational pull was nothing more complicated than devising a means by which the alignment of magnetic elements within his coral blocks was adjusted to face the streams of individual magnets he claims are issuing forth from the Earth with a like repelling pole."
* When he was personally asked how he managed the feat, Leedskalnin replied only that he understood the laws of weight and leverage. He is quoted as saying, "I have discovered the secrets of the pyramids. I have found out how the Egyptians and the ancient builders in Peru, Yucatan, and Asia, with only primitive tools, raised and set in place blocks of stone weighing many tons."
* According the The Enigma of Coral Castle, "Ed flatly disagreed with modern science, and claimed that the scientists were wrong, 'that nature is simple.' He believed all matter consisted of individual magnets, and it is the movement of these magnets within materials, and through space, that produce measurable phenomena, magnetism, and electricity. These concepts 'involved the relationship of the Earth to celestial alignments.' He claimed to see beads of light which he believed to be the physical presence of nature's magnetism and life force, or what we term today, chi."

Was Leedskalnin being deceptive when he talked about magnetism and electricity, trying to make his accomplishment more mystical and mysterious than it actually was? Had he merely found a very clever way to manipulate the great stones with levers and pulleys? We may never know the answer. Leedskalnin took his secrets with him to his grave in 1951... secrets that await to be rediscovered.

amXsPcD7g5g

Krash
October 16th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I never heard of that place.

Like most things I am sure there is a reasonable explanation. The pyramids have so many goofy explanations as to how they were built, but there are reasonable theories.

It is very interesting, and I want to thank you for posting that!

MystEerieUsOne
October 16th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Ah, the secret of the pyramids:

Levitate the rock "in place" using a magnet.

Let the rotation of the earth itself move the SITE to the rock, as opposed to the other way around.

All he had to do then was walk in place with the magnet, like a child pulling a little red wagon on a treadmill, "as the world turned."

When the earth delivered the site to the rock, he just removed the magnetism. Tada!

:)

brother
October 16th, 2009, 04:19 PM
;) yup... now to simply "do it" ...hmmmmmmmm

Lion Spirit Walker
October 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Hehehehehehe.
Oh forgive me.
I'll shut up now.
LOLLOL
:superman:

MystEerieUsOne
October 17th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Tibetan monks, I've read a few years ago, do levitation like this, supposedly.

I haven't actually seen it, but *knowing* what they *know,* I wouldn't put it past them.

There's a whole 'nother world going on in translucence. :haloweencat:

:Buddha2: :Buddha: :Buddha2: :Buddha:

Narnia
October 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Human Beings can be very resourceful - in more ways than one ...

*Hm?* .... Interesting stuff indeed .... and yes, thank you sharing this with us!

brother
October 17th, 2009, 06:40 PM
:) glad you found it interesting.

There are alot of very interesting things around our little world that can expand our thinking and some of them arent ancient, some are happening even now.

I know how easy it is to focus on the negative things... but I am in awe of humankind. We have such an incredible beauty when we choose to express it, and the ways in which its been expressed seem limited only by the imagination.

I cant wait to see how we will mature into adulthood.
If we survive our childhood as a race...

Kiran
October 17th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I know how easy it is to focus on the negative things... but I am in awe of humankind. We have such an incredible beauty when we choose to express it, and the ways in which its been expressed seem limited only by the imagination.

I couldn't agree more with you here brother :)

Rana
October 18th, 2009, 10:40 AM
:) glad you found it interesting.

There are alot of very interesting things around our little world that can expand our thinking and some of them arent ancient, some are happening even now.

or moreso revert to it .. what a beautiful resource Coral .. although all these structures are magnificant in every aspect of the word .. its a shame people needed to magnify their need for power in this way ,when the humble abode was all we needed . thankyou for this insight im captivated .. xx :)

Lion Spirit Walker
October 18th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I honestly believe it is that "incredibale Beauty" which has kept the human race from extinction.

brother
November 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM
The search for Atlantis continues....... :D

Helena Smith in Athens
guardian.co.uk, Friday 16 October 2009 19.49 BST

The secrets of a lost city that may have inspired one of the world's most enduring myths – the fable of Atlantis – have been brought to light from beneath the waters off southern Greece.

Explored by an Anglo-Greek team of archaeologists and marine geologists and known as Pavlopetri, the sunken settlement dates back some 5,000 years to the time of Homer's heroes and in terms of size and wealth of detail is unprecedented, experts say.

"There is now no doubt that this is the oldest submerged town in the world," said Dr Jon Henderson, associate professor of underwater archaeology at the University of Nottingham. "It has remains dating from 2800 to 1200 BC, long before the glory days of classical Greece. There are older sunken sites in the world but none can be considered to be planned towns such as this, which is why it is unique."

The site, which straddles 30,000 square meters of ocean floor off the southern Peloponnese, is believed to have been consumed by the sea around 1000 BC. Although discovered by a British oceanographer some 40 years ago, it was only this year that marine archaeologists, aided by digital technology, were able to properly survey the ruins.

What they found surpassed all expectations. Thanks to shifting sands and the settlement's enclosure in a protected bay, the exploration revealed a world of buildings, courtyards, main streets, rock-cut tombs and religious structures. In addition, the seabed was replete with thousands of shards of pottery.

"We found ceramics dating back to the end of the stone age, which suggested that the settlement was occupied some 5,000 years ago, at least 1,200 years earlier than originally thought," said Henderson, who co-directed the underwater survey.

"Our investigations also revealed over 9,000 square meters of new buildings. But what really took us by surprise was the discovery of a possible megaron, a monumental structure with a large rectangular hall, which also suggests that the town had been used by an elite, and automatically raised the status of the settlement."

More than any other underwater site so far, the find offers potential insights into the workings of Mycenaean society.

"It is significant because as a submerged site it was never reoccupied," said Elias Spondylis, who co-directed the survey as the head of Greece's underwater antiquities department. "As such it represents a frozen moment of the past."

Marine geologists have yet to work out why the settlement sank. Theories include sea level changes, ground subsidence as the result of earthquakes, or a tsunami.

"It is very likely a combination of the first two," said Dimitris Sakellariou, at the Greek Institute of Oceanography. "As the world's oldest submerged city it is truly amazing. It not only shows how people lived at the time is also of great interest to natural scientists because the waters around it are so shallow."

Locals in the nearby town of Neapolis are delighted. "Older generations always knew something was there but we had no idea about the extent of it," said Neapolis's mayor, Yiannis Kousoulis.

It is the first time a sunken city has been found in Greece that predates the time that Plato wrote his allegorical tale of the sunken continent of Atlantis.

"Atlantis was a myth but it is a myth that keeps underwater exploration going," said Sakellariou. "Less than 1% of the world's ocean floors have ever been surveyed. This is an extraordinary find but there is still a lot more down there that has to be found."

If anyone has any new archeological finds they have heard about..... lets hear about them:)