PDA

View Full Version : Obama awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Logio
October 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/10/09/nobel.peace.prize/index.html

I may disagree on some of his administration, but I believe that he deserves this because he is a great peacemaker.

Respectfully,

Nathan

SoulChild
October 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I just read the article on Yahoo...and I am happy that he recieved this honor...perhaps this is a greater honor than being the first black president because of the fact that many disagree with polotics in general no matter who you are...if you are a polotician.....its hard to trust and sometimes even understand the choices and decisions. I have not been keeping up with Gov., and I should, but I really don't understand all that stuff, and as a black person, usually we felt that all that gov stuff don't apply to us. It is a little different being that he is a black president...but, not really.....cause, I feel that plans have been made for America and the world long ago...and the plan will be fulfilled no matter who the president is...unless people join together and protest and stand up for SOMETHING....

Narnia
October 9th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I say ... Good for him! He is one of few US Presidents to have ever received such an honour!! :)

SoulChild
October 9th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for you comment Sphinx. Unfortunately on my facebook page I have some friends who find this honor ridiculous...and the nature of people is just driving me crazy! I tried to give people a chance....but, they are starting to show thier true colors...how can I not be predjudice/judgemental when people tell you the truth about themselves?

BlueStar
October 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Awesome news!! Good for him. Let's hope that he will continue to demonstrate the qualities that have earned him this high accolade throughout his presidency.

I can't help but muse about his predecessor. Now if there was a Nobel prize for war-mongering he might well have been in luck ;) :laugh:

Logio
October 9th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for you comment Sphinx. Unfortunately on my facebook page I have some friends who find this honor ridiculous...and the nature of people is just driving me crazy! I tried to give people a chance....but, they are starting to show thier true colors...how can I not be predjudice/judgemental when people tell you the truth about themselves?

Some people see this award as a very subjective thing - that perhaps the award is given to the individual most in the spotlight. I don't know about that, but there are probably people out there Elizabeth, who throw the baby out with the bathwater...meaning, for instance they may see only the President's choices in economic policy and carry over a perceived negativity to other areas...so, even though there probably is some prejudice, it isn't necessarily the case....unless by prejudice, you mean his affilation with the Democratic party. I do hope people can look beyond race...if not, then they are definitely in error.

Respectfully,

Natedog.

brother
October 9th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I'm on the email list that comes from President Obama and I just received this a few min ago....

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

MystEerieUsOne
October 10th, 2009, 12:09 AM
My first thought was that it was likely given to President Obama because he, like the Dalai Lama, openly invited the enemy into peace talks, as opposed to a continuing war without dialogue.

I remember President Obama's open invitation with the terrorists to essentially "talk it out together," and that is very much in keeping with the Dalai Lama's initiative to resolve the Tibet-China conflict through peaceful dialogue.

Doesn't always work, but the effort is there, and the invitation remains in place, and that says a lot!

The Dalai Lama's been actively involved in his quest for so much longer, it's true, but the current situation is a dire one on a universal level between the terrorists and the world, because of the "imminent" potential for nuclear war.

Perhaps the seemingly premature nomination of President Obama was for his long effort to change history by his own Presidency, but then he went so much further with his effort to elicit genuine change that went far beyond the race issue.

I think he has earned it and deserves the award.

I'm proud of him!

SoulChild
October 10th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Some people see this award as a very subjective thing - that perhaps the award is given to the individual most in the spotlight. I don't know about that, but there are probably people out there Elizabeth, who throw the baby out with the bathwater...meaning, for instance they may see only the President's choices in economic policy and carry over a perceived negativity to other areas...so, even though there probably is some prejudice, it isn't necessarily the case....unless by prejudice, you mean his affilation with the Democratic party. I do hope people can look beyond race...if not, then they are definitely in error.

Respectfully,

Natedog.

I was a little upset earlier because a friend of mine of facebook stated that he was going to sing Kumbaya and drink kool-aid because Obama got the award. I usually can brush stuff like that off my shoulder...but, in this case, I mean he is a black man who became President in my life time and one the Nobel Peace Prize! No matter what your predjudices are, the accomplishments deserves respect!

But, i come here to MW, and immediately felt better..just knowing that their are people around the world who actually use their mind and think before talking......and I am just so glad to know you all :thanks:

Lion Spirit Walker
October 10th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Dear Elizabeth, you truly bring a beautiful light to the MW forums. We are all better for your being here with us.
Thank you, from my heart.
:two hearts:

Logio
October 10th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I was a little upset earlier because a friend of mine of facebook stated that he was going to sing Kumbaya and drink kool-aid because Obama got the award. I usually can brush stuff like that off my shoulder...but, in this case, I mean he is a black man who became President in my life time and one the Nobel Peace Prize! No matter what your predjudices are, the accomplishments deserves respect!

But, i come here to MW, and immediately felt better..just knowing that their are people around the world who actually use their mind and think before talking......and I am just so glad to know you all :thanks:

The guy on Facebook sounds as if he is definitely out of touch with reality. Obama has defintely played a large part in the peace process.

Nathan

Mr. Brightside
October 10th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Seems strange giving a serving US president a nobel peace prize, But I do think he deserves it, He give people a bit of hope when they needed it most, and I commend his efforts to bring about a peaceful solution to the worlds problems and reach out and try to improve Americas relations with the rest of the world.

In fact he is the only US President I can remember who I like

I say good on him :clap

Logio
October 11th, 2009, 03:53 PM
It seems strange to me that many people were shocked by this announcement; some say Barrack's accomplishments in the area of peace have been only nominal: what has he done? They ask. I personally see it as a change in attitude - which, I believe, has a profound affect on other countries. Obama has extended his hand for peace...and that really means a lot in my book....even though I am conservative...because this (economic policy) has nothing to do with the peace process.

Nathan