PDA

View Full Version : The Animal Game

Lion Spirit Walker
October 7th, 2009, 04:36 AM
In an effort to raise awareness of our fellow creatures with which we share this planet, I thought I would initiate this thread. And thought we could have a little fun along the way.
I will start by asking a question to which there can only be one answer. The question will be discriptive with regard to a specific animal. The one who answers the quetion with both the english and latin name for the animal then asks the next question, etc. In addition, when the question has been correctly answered, the member posing the question should post an image of that animal.
On with the game...

Lion Spirit Walker
October 7th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Q: These animals speak to each other over vast distances, greater than any other. Their songs can be heard around the world. What is this animal???

Kiran
October 7th, 2009, 08:14 AM
You know? When I read your description...my heart gave a little leap of recognition...one of my favourite animals.....
Hopefully this is right now?
Humpback Whale - Megaptera novaeangliae

Lion Spirit Walker
October 7th, 2009, 09:41 PM
close. but no cigar.
:blink:

Lion Spirit Walker
October 9th, 2009, 03:05 AM
sad, sad, sad.
And here I thought everyone liked animals (we certainly seem to like ourselves.?.)

Kiran
October 9th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Blue Whales??

Narnia
October 9th, 2009, 12:43 PM
We like animals .... very much!

I believe Lorri is right - it is the Blue Whale and the Latin term for Blue Whale is: Balaenoptera Musculus

:)

Lion Spirit Walker
October 10th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Too Cool! Well done.

Kiran
October 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Well as Polly got both names - latin one as well...its Polly's go next :)

Narnia
October 10th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Well as Polly got both names - latin one as well...its Polly's go next :)

Well, I think you should go next - because you were the first to guess correctly! I only followed up because I like animals too! :)

Lion Spirit Walker
October 10th, 2009, 04:27 PM
You both have valid points of consideration with regard to who might choose the next animal. So I'll play Solomon here.
I'll role a single die. Should 1,2, or 3 come up, then it's Crystallorri's.
If 4, 5, or 6 comes up, it's Sphinx's call.
Just a moment..............................................3!
There you both go.
Crystallorri's turn to choose the next animal.
:superman:

Kiran
October 11th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Hehehe...ok cool! Thanks!

Hmm...this animal lives along the coast and marshes of USA and need between 10 and 100 square miles of habitat to exist on and will eat any small animal.

Lion Spirit Walker
October 11th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Is this animal specific to any one coast line (i.e., pacific, atlantic, or gulf of mexico)?

Narnia
October 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Hehehe...ok cool! Thanks!

Hmm...this animal lives along the coast and marshes of USA and need between 10 and 100 square miles of habitat to exist on and will eat any small animal.

This is a real shot in the dark ... but is it Osprey (Pandion Haliaetus)?

Kiran
October 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM
No Polly...sorry :)

Ok...some more clues...

Originally this animal would be found in New York, Florida and Texas and maybe as far as Canada!
Now its location maybe in certain spots such as North Carolina at a Wildlife Refuge. It was known as a critically endangered species.

Narnia
October 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM
*Um?* .... well it's obviously not an Alligator if it lives as far as O'Canada .... perhaps is it a land mammal with four legs and a furry coat?

Maybe the Red Wolf. Latin term: Rutilus Lupus.

By the way this is really fun! :)

Kiran
October 12th, 2009, 01:39 PM
YYEEAAAYYYY!! Well done Polly...I knew I gave away too many clues but good work!!!
HUGS:two hearts:

Narnia
October 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
The Red Wolf.

http://www.redwolfs.net/images/wolfimages/red_wolf.jpg

Beautiful, an absolutely beautiful creature!

Narnia
October 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM
This land mammal is often mistaken for being a cat. It lives the ideal life, a life of luxury on an island paradise, loves to play, dance and lounge around, and is a vegetarian. :)

What creature am I?

Kiran
October 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Yes thats why I couldn't resist choosing her! Isn't she magnificent? Thanks for posting the wonderful picture :)
HUGS:two hearts:

Lion Spirit Walker
October 12th, 2009, 10:58 PM
The "mistaken for a cat" part of this one is intriguing...
I'll have figure this one out or pop trying.
Lollol
You both
:two hearts::yourock:

Mr. Brightside
October 12th, 2009, 11:38 PM
mmm A Ring Tailed Lemur?

Narnia
October 12th, 2009, 11:43 PM
mmm A Ring Tailed Lemur?

YEP!! :girl_yes3 (1): Good for you dear Sean!

Ring Tailed Lemur of Madagascar - Latin: Lemures (meaning 'spirits')

http://www.naturalphotos.com/sekercioglu/madagascar/images/MG8-TnZoo-RTLE.jpg

Lion Spirit Walker
October 12th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I actually thought of that but then dismissed it due to the fact that they eat insects.
My bust.
Good call Gollum.
:yourock:

Mr. Brightside
October 12th, 2009, 11:56 PM
yeah fantastic :D "lemur" is derived from the Latin word lemures, meaning "spirits of the night

I went to a zoo a few years ago and the Ring tailed Lemurs were not in cages they just walked around the zoo. they were very playful. I took this photo of one of them from right next to it.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b340/Saltwater1000/Zoo7.jpg

Mr. Brightside
October 13th, 2009, 12:16 AM
This animal ventures out at night so is rarely seen, has characteristic markings and excellent hearing, It is a bit of a loner and lives in high altitude forests with dense cover of shrubs, reeds, and grassand is found in Europe, North America, Canada and the Far east

Mr. Brightside
October 17th, 2009, 12:12 AM
No, well they have tufts of black hair on the tip of their ears :)

Narnia
October 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Is it the Lynx? (Latin term: Felis Lynx)

Mr. Brightside
October 17th, 2009, 01:08 AM
It certainly is Polly well done :yourock:

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs20/f/2007/279/1/7/Lynx_Lynx_by_screwbald.jpg

Narnia
October 17th, 2009, 01:15 AM
AWESOME!! :girl_yes3 (1): The tuffs of black fur - is what did it for me! :)

Lion Spirit Walker
October 17th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Too Cool. I love them.
Sphinx I think it's your turn.
p.s., I like the artwork of the Lynx. Very nice.

Narnia
October 17th, 2009, 01:07 PM
This creature is a bit of a loner as well and is rarely seen, it is known for being rather 'gluttoness' and has a reputation of having some major attitude.

What Creature Am I?

Narnia
October 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM
p.s., I like the artwork of the Lynx. Very nice.

HA! Me too! :)

Kiran
October 17th, 2009, 08:11 PM
This creature is a bit of a loner as well and is rarely seen, it is known for being rather 'gluttoness' and has a reputation of having some major attitude.

What Creature Am I?

Is it a Tasmanian Devil - Sarcophilus harrisii ?

Narnia
October 17th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Is it a Tasmanian Devil - Sarcophilus harrisii ?

Nope - although a very good guess I might add! :)

Another hint - their fur is thick, dark, and oily which is highly hydrophobic, making it resistant to frost!

Lion Spirit Walker
October 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Badger/ Insigne.

Narnia
October 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Badger/ Insigne.

Nope - but a good guess!

Another hint: this creature resembles a small bear.

Lion Spirit Walker
October 19th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Hehehe. I believe I've got this one.
The Wolverine, Gulo gulo.
:radar.1:

Narnia
October 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hehehe. I believe I've got this one.
The Wolverine, Gulo gulo.
:radar.1:

Yep!! Good for you Michael!! :girl_yes3 (1):

The Wolverine.

http://animal.discovery.com/mammals/wolverine/pictures/wolverine-picture.jpg

Mr. Brightside
October 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Well done Michael, It does look rather mean, I would not want to come across that in a dark forest :arghhhh1:

Lion Spirit Walker
October 19th, 2009, 10:07 PM
LOL Sean. I was actually thinking how cool it looks and behaves. Yes, I watch too many animal programs (LOL. Not.)
Give me a few and I'll be back with our next fellow earthling.
:cool.3:

Lion Spirit Walker
October 19th, 2009, 10:54 PM
This one is estimated to reach over 3000 lbs and 11 ft. (3 m.) from fin tip to fin tip.
Found in all oceans in tropical and temperate climates, and is know to eat gelatinous zooplankton (jellyfish) and probably small fishes and algae. During El Nino events they can be found as far north as Alaska.
Who am I???

brother
October 19th, 2009, 11:21 PM
ummm dont shoot me :D

Ocean Sunfish (Mola Mola) (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/Mola_mola_ocean_sunfish_Monterey_Bay_Aquarium_2.jpg/800px-Mola_mola_ocean_sunfish_Monterey_Bay_Aquarium_2.jpg)

Lion Spirit Walker
October 20th, 2009, 02:52 AM
I Love It!
Well done Brother.
Now you choose.

brother
October 20th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Thank you Psyche

This animal stays wet and is a master of camouflage. It can mimmick the physical likeness and movements of more than fifteen different species.

brother
October 20th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I was asked for more clues...

this is another ocean animal and it isnt very big... only about 2ft in length, also, it is only a recent discovery... with in the last 15yrs or so

Narnia
October 20th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I think it is an Octopus - Latin term: Polypus - but I am not sure of which one ... because there are over 200 known species.

Am I close?

brother
October 20th, 2009, 11:17 PM
playing hot and cold now.. :D your VERY VERY HOT!!! LOL

Sigh...... I cant do it.... I cant string ya along..... :( lol

yes Sphinx! its an octopus.

The mimic octopus, Thaumoctopus mimicus, is a species of octopus that has a strong ability to mimic other creatures. It grows up to 60 cm (2 feet) in length. Its normal colouring consists of brown and white stripes or spots.

Living in the tropical seas of South East Asia, it was not discovered officially until 1998, off the coast of Sulawesi. The octopus mimics the physical likeness and movements of more than fifteen different species, including sea snakes, lionfish, flatfish, brittle stars, giant crabs, sea shells, stingrays, flounders, jellyfish, sea anemones, and mantis shrimp.[1] [2] It accomplishes this by contorting its body and arms, and changing colour.

Many octopus species are extremely flexible. For example, one octopus the size of a volleyball can actually squeeze its entire body into a soft drink can.[3] If the mimic octopus has that flexibility, it would explain in part how it mimics other creatures.

Although all octopuses can change colour and texture, and many can blend with the sea floor, appearing as rocks, the mimic octopus is the first octopus species ever observed to impersonate other animals.[4][2]

Based on observation, the mimic octopus may decide which animal to impersonate depending on local predators. For example, when the octopus was being attacked by damselfish, it was observed that the octopus appeared as a banded sea snake, a damselfish predator. The octopus impersonates the snake by turning black and yellow, burying six of its arms, and waving its other two arms in opposite directions. [5]

The mimic octopus is often confused with Wunderpus photogenicus, another recently discovered species. The Wunderpus can be distinguished by the pattern of strong, fixed white markings on its body.

there is a picture here (http://palscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/the-mimic-octopus.jpg)

Narnia
October 20th, 2009, 11:30 PM
The Mimic Octopus

http://www.daveharasti.com/favpics/15-Mimic%20Octopus.jpg

http://richard-seaman.com/Underwater/Indonesia/Lembeh/Highlights/Wunderpus08.jpg

COOL!! :girl_yes3 (1):

Narnia
October 21st, 2009, 01:29 PM
Well, I guess I go next then - *hm?* - haven't thought of a good animal yet to tickle your brains with, so let me think a wee bit on it, I'll try and make it a good one for you all! :)

Narnia
October 22nd, 2009, 12:08 AM
This creature shares the same name of a tasty fruit (kind of looks like the fruit too, actually), apparently they lay the largest egg in relation to their body size (maybe the same size as the fruit?), and this creature is a celebrated as a National symbol.

What Creature Am I?

Lion Spirit Walker
October 22nd, 2009, 12:53 AM
Kiwi, apteryx

Narnia
October 22nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
It is indeed the Kiwi! Excellent Michael - your turn!

I suppose I made that one pretty easy saying was it has the same name as a fruit .... I mean really .... how many animals are named after the banana or the strawberry - none! :7hit (1):

Lion Spirit Walker
October 22nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
LOLLOL. I completely agree Sphinx which is why I suggest you take another turn, pleaseeee.
You choose.
;)

Narnia
October 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
Okay - let me think a little bit and do some research - I'll try and make it harder for you guys! :)

Narnia
October 22nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
This Creature inhabits all the world's oceans except for the Arctic. Their lifespan is about 80 years. They can rest or sleep underwater for several hours at a time. Some of this species change eating habits as they age. For instance, this creature can be mainly carnivorous from hatchling until juvenile size; they then progressively shift to an herbivorous diet. Good Luck!!

What Creature Am I?

Narnia
October 28th, 2009, 11:57 PM
This Creature inhabits all the world's oceans except for the Arctic. Their lifespan is about 80 years. They can rest or sleep underwater for several hours at a time. Some of this species change eating habits as they age. For instance, this creature can be mainly carnivorous from hatchling until juvenile size; they then progressively shift to an herbivorous diet. Good Luck!!

What Creature Am I?

This creature also emerges into the world for the first time from a sandy beach!

Mr. Brightside
October 29th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Is it a Seal?

brother
October 29th, 2009, 03:34 AM
guessing green or black sea turtle. :) good one!

Narnia
October 29th, 2009, 01:17 PM
guessing green or black sea turtle. :) good one!

Specifics are cool, but I wasn't looking for them. Anyway - you're right Chad - it's a Sea Turtle! :girl_yes3 (1):

The Green Sea Turtle!

http://week.divebums.com/2007/Nov19-2007/green-sea-turtle_matt-gieselman.jpg

http://naturescrusaders.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/kemps-ridley-sea-turtle1.jpg

On their way to face the big wide Ocean!

brother
October 29th, 2009, 05:43 PM
This animal is extremely rare and only discovered with in the last ten years (give or take)

It calls New Guinea home and it lives in trees. This furry little animal has a brown coat with a pale stomach and has yellow along its neck, cheeks and feet.

Its distant cousin is quite a jumper!

:spinny:

Have fun

Kiran
October 29th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Is it a Golden-mantled Tree-kangaroo - Dendrolagus pulcherrimus? Very cute little fella!! :)

brother
October 29th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Right you are Crystallorri!

Golden-mantled Tree-kangaroo
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:7HUL0ynpRISLyM:http://bs3260.k12.sd.us/tree%2520kangaroo.jpg

Narnia
October 30th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Golden Mantled Tree Kangaroo

http://assets.panda.org/img/428px_tree_kangaroo2_235666.jpg

AWH!! My God the Kangaroo so darn CUTE!! :two hearts:

Kiran
October 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM
This creature inhabits Indonesia and is a great hunter. If an animal is lucky enough to survive an attack it will probably die from infection as the bacteria in its bite is potent!

brother
October 30th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Sense I know you have a thing about dragons...... ummm maybe a Komodo dragon?

Kiran
October 31st, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hahahaha....yep! You are right and I couldn't resist that one!!
Your turn!

Narnia
October 31st, 2009, 01:19 PM
The Komodo Dragon

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_hVOW2U7K4-M/SeQtdIihjBI/AAAAAAAA-_k/ELOU-J5FJvk/s640/rey6ujery6tgfr.jpg

I just think - WOW, a living Dinosaur! COOL!!

brother
October 31st, 2009, 02:51 PM
This animal is also a totem animal. They come in many colors and varieties and are an Ice Age survivor. They strike fear and awe in most people but they behave more like humans than any other totem animal. If you have ever been in their presence, one of the most striking things about them is their intelligence.

:) have fun!

Narnia
October 31st, 2009, 03:05 PM
Oh - that is tough one Chad!! *Hm?* ... I hope my brain doesn't start to smoke!

Narnia
October 31st, 2009, 03:10 PM
Is it a Cougar - Puma concolor ... ?

brother
October 31st, 2009, 03:49 PM
mmm Sphinx, your close in a way, but no, its not a puma or cougar.

Lion Spirit Walker
October 31st, 2009, 10:32 PM
Wolf/Canis Lupis.

brother
October 31st, 2009, 10:40 PM
Indeed! you win it is the wolf:

your turn brother

Lion Spirit Walker
October 31st, 2009, 11:17 PM
The Clues;
It's melanistic. It is the only species of its genus to be found in the Americas. It is the third largest of its family, and is the most powerful and largest in the western hemisphere. Its been largely extripated from the US since the early 1900s.
Who am I?

Narnia
November 3rd, 2009, 12:48 AM
Is it the Bison?

Lion Spirit Walker
November 5th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Forgive me for taking so long to get back here.
No, not the bison.
But I will give another clue.
See the totem animals for Sphinx.
;)

Lion Spirit Walker
November 8th, 2009, 05:38 AM
The answer is the Black Jaguar, Panthera Onca

Kiran
November 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Beautiful animal Psyche!!

Narnia
November 8th, 2009, 01:18 PM
The answer is the Black Jaguar, Panthera Onca

*she thinks to herself 'Well, duh - yeah - it must be in the cat family!'*

How could I think it was the Bison? Process of elimination I suppose .... *hsigh* .... oh well .... *geez* .... I feel so silly.

Lion Spirit Walker
November 10th, 2009, 04:45 AM
No need dearest Sphinx.
Why don't you take the next turn?

Narnia
November 10th, 2009, 01:18 PM
No need dearest Sphinx.
Why don't you take the next turn?

Thank you dearest, if you would like .... I will take some time to think about the next creature to tickle your brains. :girl_yes3 (1):

Narnia
November 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
This reclusive and mostly nocturnal creature lives in the land of Buddha. Has a disheveled and unkempt appearence, and a reputation of being rather noisy when foraging for insects and fruit, and the occasional honeycomb.

What Creature Am I?

Lion Spirit Walker
November 11th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Forgive me, but when you reffered to the "land of Buddha", you were reffering to India, right?

Narnia
November 11th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Forgive me, but when you reffered to the "land of Buddha", you were reffering to India, right?

Yep! :girl_yes3 (1):

TheNavigator
November 12th, 2009, 03:05 AM
(((Everyone))))

It wouldn't be by any chance an Indian Wild Boar would it?

Shannon

Narnia
November 12th, 2009, 01:10 PM
(((Everyone))))

It wouldn't be by any chance an Indian Wild Boar would it?

Shannon

Good guess ... but nope.

Stargazer
November 12th, 2009, 04:31 PM
This reclusive and mostly nocturnal creature lives in the land of Buddha. Has a disheveled and unkempt appearence, and a reputation of being rather noisy when foraging for insects and fruit, and the occasional honeycomb.

What Creature Am I?

Bear ? :Boy_yes3:

Narnia
November 12th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Bear ? :Boy_yes3:

You're the closest! It is the Sloth Bear! Good job Naveen! :girl_yes3 (1):

The Sloth Bear!

http://www.bearsoftheworld.net/images/bears/sloth_bear_03.jpg

Stargazer
November 12th, 2009, 06:03 PM
You're the closest! It is the Sloth Bear! Good job Naveen! :girl_yes3 (1):

[/CENTER]

Oh yeah the Sloth......the hint 'honeycomb' was a sure giveaway, here honey is more synonymous with bear than it is with bees lol !

Do i get to pose the next question ?

Narnia
November 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Do i get to pose the next question ?

That you do my friend! :girl_yes3 (1):

Stargazer
November 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM
This animal in question is again native to India,primarily feeds on small mammals,reptiles,insects and fruits.The males in this species ,like all other males is notable for their courtship behavior.An extravagant one at that !

Mr. Brightside
November 12th, 2009, 07:48 PM
A Gibbon?

Stargazer
November 13th, 2009, 12:39 PM
No.......!

More Hints : They are feathery and nests on the ground. :Boy_yes3:

Kiran
November 13th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Is it a Black Necked Crane - Grus nigricollis?

Stargazer
November 13th, 2009, 05:35 PM
No...!

More Hints : They are revered across India,believed to be sacred,vehicle of God ! :Boy_yes3:

Lion Spirit Walker
November 14th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Peacock, Peahen, Peafowl/ Pavo, Afropavo

Narnia
November 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Peacock, Peahen, Peafowl/ Pavo, Afropavo

Just a silly side note/uncommon facts tid bit here - but did you know there are Peacocks that run wild in Connecticut - it is the craziest thing to see one running around in the woods!

Stargazer
November 14th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah...it's them :Boy_yes3:
http://thewordwarrior.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/peacock-wooing-peahen1.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hKGXSGNHAuU/SGCTKQx5TbI/AAAAAAAAAGg/QU3VP_85JMA/s400/muruganravivarmapainting.jpg

Narnia
November 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM
http://thewordwarrior.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/peacock-wooing-peahen1.jpg

"Hey - Baby, you like my plumage!?"

Lion Spirit Walker
November 14th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Too funny Sphinx. And I had heard about the wild ones where you are. I use to know some people in California that kept them like free roaming chickens. And some wildlife parks allow them to casually mingle with guest. They are cool. A bit loud at times but cool nonetheless.
If it is now my turn, I'll need a few to gather a bit of info and then return to the thread.
Peacocks Rule! hahahaha.

Lion Spirit Walker
November 15th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Native to the Tanimbar Islands of Indonesia. But due to human introduction can also be found in the wild of Puerto Rico and Singapore.
They are the smallest of their family, weighing approximately 250-300g and being 12 in. (31 cm) from head to tail.
After some scientific confussion [I know. Go figure.], the species was formally described in 2004.
Due to hunting and deforestation, the species is considered 'Near Threatened' to 'Endangered' in the wild.
Prior to sexual maturity the male and female are identical in all appearance. At sexual maturity, they develop unique physical characteristics dependant upon their sex.
Who am I???

Kiran
November 15th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Is it Tanimbar Corella, Cacatua goffiniana?

brother
November 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Its Psy! LOL

Lion Spirit Walker
November 15th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Hehehehee. My dastardly reason for creating this thread has become realized. LOLLOL
Yes, your both correct.
They are also refferred to as a Goffin's or Goffin Cockatoo.
Psy, my little companion is reffered to by myself as a Goffin's cockatoo.

Kiran
November 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Ok...here goes with the next animal.

This european creature is found in all sorts of dry habitats but favours sandy or rocky places, particularly near the sea. It is well known inland though, being found even on the raised bogs.

Lion Spirit Walker
November 18th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I was going to guess the european hare. But the part of the clue indicating a prefference for being near the sea rules that out.

Kiran
November 18th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Ok next clue - it has a unique escape method!

Narnia
November 19th, 2009, 12:10 AM
HA! You and scaly type creatures .... snakes, dragons, and even lizards!

Viviparous Lizard - Zootoca Vivipara.

http://www.euroherp.com/Resources/Trips/310809_16.-viviparous-lizard.jpg

Lion Spirit Walker
November 19th, 2009, 01:34 AM
LOL. Too cool.

Kiran
November 19th, 2009, 08:45 AM
HA! You and scaly type creatures .... snakes, dragons, and even lizards!

Viviparous Lizard - Zootoca Vivipara.

http://www.euroherp.com/Resources/Trips/310809_16.-viviparous-lizard.jpg

Yep Polly!! Well done honey!!!!
I wanted to pick a native irish creature and he seemed to jump out the screen at me :)
HUGS

PS In case you are wondering, he can detach his tail to escape!!

Narnia
November 19th, 2009, 12:15 PM
PS In case you are wondering, he can detach his tail to escape!!

That is what triggered the little memory bell lost deep within the gray mush! :girl_yes3 (1):

Narnia
November 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Okay, swinging back around to my neck of the woods (North America) ... this creature is a personal favourite of mine.

This tree climbing creature always looks dressed and pressed to go out for a big function. They enjoy dining on insects and large, meaty seeds. They get their common name from their habit of jamming large nuts and acorns into tree bark, then whacking them with their sharp bill to get the seed from the inside. Even though this creature is small in size, their voices are loud, and often their insistent nasal yammering will lead you right to them.

What Creature Am I?

Lion Spirit Walker
November 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Acorn Woodpecker, Malanerpes formicivorus
[I hadn't ever realized there are soooo many different woodpeckers. wow.]

Narnia
November 20th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Acorn Woodpecker, Malanerpes formicivorus
[I hadn't ever realized there are soooo many different woodpeckers. wow.]

Good guess, you're close ... but nope!

TheNavigator
November 20th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Hello ... OK will take a stab at this one...a Downy Woodpecker?

:mask.1:

:) Shannon

Narnia
November 20th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Hello ... OK will take a stab at this one...a Downy Woodpecker?

:mask.1:

:) Shannon

Well, you're close too ... but no, this creature is not a woodpecker.

This small compact bird is in the tree climbing family - it is their habit of wedging nuts into the bark of trees and opening them with their bill - that gave them their collective name.

Their backs are gray, the black marking on the head vary, and their white underparts which are variably tinted with buff, orange, rufous or lilac.

Kiran
November 20th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Is it a Nuthatch Polly? I remember you posting about them before I think?

Narnia
November 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Is it a Nuthatch Polly? I remember you posting about them before I think?

And the winner is ... Lorri! Yes - it is the Nuthatch belonging to the Sittidae family!

The Nuthatch!

http://www.hoganphoto.com/White_Breasted_Nuthatch_a.jpg

A classic pose indeed - they're just the cutest!! :girl_yes3 (1):

Kiran
November 23rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
This next animal is one of my favourite kinds of animals :)

This creature is mainly nocturnal and can travel up to 25 miles a night in search of food and lives primarily in the rainforests.

brother
November 24th, 2009, 02:12 PM
is it...........The Giant Golden Crowned Flying fox?

Kiran
November 24th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Yyeaaayyy!! You got it in one Chad!! Well done!

Lion Spirit Walker
November 24th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Very Cool. I like Flying Foxes.

brother
November 25th, 2009, 12:58 AM
this one is going to be HARD!!! LOL

It has the one long horn, one big eye and it likes rock and roll......

Oh ya... and it eats people

:D

Lion Spirit Walker
November 25th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Hehehehehe!
Hahahahaha!
Lollol!
Lollol. Cyclops
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/cyclops.jpg

brother
November 25th, 2009, 02:25 AM
mmmmmm michael you are very close! but no...

second hint

Its purple and there is a song named after it :D

Kiran
November 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Very Cool. I like Flying Foxes.

Me too...I love bats in general!! But these are my favourites!

Kiran
November 25th, 2009, 09:05 AM
mmmmmm michael you are very close! but no...

second hint

Its purple and there is a song named after it :D

Is it the one-eyed, one-horned flying purple people eater? lol
There's a blast from the past!!!:bolt:

brother
November 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM
LOL lorri... it is indeed :)

hahahahahaahaha......... your turn

Kiran
November 27th, 2009, 08:51 PM
LOL lorri... it is indeed :)

hahahahahaahaha......... your turn

That immediately popped into my head!! lol

Kiran
November 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Well in line with Chad's last question......lol

What creature lives by the sea....has a preference for mist and has a breath-like name!!

Lion Spirit Walker
November 28th, 2009, 05:33 AM
It's 'Puff' the magic dragon.
As a child I had a teddy bear with a music box in it that played that very song.
And than years later, my partner gave me a music box with a dragon on it that also played that song.
I know it well.

Kiran
November 29th, 2009, 09:51 AM
It's 'Puff' the magic dragon.
As a child I had a teddy bear with a music box in it that played that very song.
And than years later, my partner gave me a music box with a dragon on it that also played that song.
I know it well.

Hehehe...the star goes to Michael!! Yes I grew up to that song too...always brings a smile to my face and hey...had to include something with a dragon!! Wouldn't be me otherwise!! lol

Lion Spirit Walker
December 5th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I live in the arctic and subarctic areas of North America.
I go by two names. One when in the wild and another when coexisting with people.
One of my names is very popular this time of year.
Who am I???

brother
December 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Rudolph!

Lion Spirit Walker
December 6th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Hehehe.
Close but no cigar. I stepped the direction of the thread back into reality. So no claymation. :)
You are close though.

Kiran
December 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Is it the caribou/reindeer??

Lion Spirit Walker
December 9th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Right on. :)
It is the Caribou, Rangifer terandus. In the wild their refferred to as Caribou. Whereas when coexisting with humans their refferred to as Reindeer.
Well done.
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/800px-Caribou.jpg

Kiran
December 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM
This creature is found in the Arctic and is prey for Polar bears and indigenous people in the area.

Narnia
December 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Is it the - Harp Seal - Pagophilus groenlandicus?

Kiran
December 9th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Nope!:cute.3:
Good guess though!

brother
December 10th, 2009, 01:39 AM
ummmmm... is it one of these?
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/2009/11/custom_1258401972232_sarah-palin-going-rogue-book-cover.jpg

LOL

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/dvd/blog/goldencompass-bear.jpg

brother
December 10th, 2009, 01:40 AM
hahahahaha that was baaad of me I know... hahahahaha

Lion Spirit Walker
December 10th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Hahahahaha!!!
Hehehehehehe!!!
Oh my goodness.
I love it.
LOLLOL

Kiran
December 10th, 2009, 08:16 AM
ummmmm... is it one of these?
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/2009/11/custom_1258401972232_sarah-palin-going-rogue-book-cover.jpg

LOL

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/dvd/blog/goldencompass-bear.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats hilarious Chad!!!!
But no! Sorry! :cute.3:

Kiran
December 10th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Ok I'll give another clue.

It is on the Red List of Threatened Species and it feeds mainly on fish.

brother
December 10th, 2009, 01:16 PM
ahhh... I see you guys are gettin picky now.... ok... umm

A bearded Palin...
no no... umm a Bearded Seal!

Kiran
December 10th, 2009, 01:28 PM

A bearded Palin...

Oh stop!!!! My sides are splitting here!!!!! :bump-1:

Narnia
December 10th, 2009, 02:35 PM

A bearded Palin...

Okay - now that is something that should go extinct ... totally goes against nature!

I know that is a bad thing to think ... but really ....... oh, Universe help this poor sorry nation ....

Narnia
December 10th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Um ... hm? .... Is it the Ringed Seal - Phoca Hispida?

Kiran
December 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Sorry Polly...again no. Getting closer all the time though! ;)

Narnia
December 10th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Um? ... Okay! ... Hm? .... Is it the Beluga Whale - Delphinapterus leucas?

Kiran
December 10th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Um? ... Okay! ... Hm? .... Is it the Beluga Whale - Delphinapterus leucas?

Yeayyy!! You win the star for today!!

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00782/beluga-whale-bubble_782214i.jpg

This is my totem animal :D

Lion Spirit Walker
December 11th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Very cool pic. I saved it to my 'Life' pic folder. Very nice. Love the bubble.

Narnia
December 11th, 2009, 02:22 AM
This creature is found in Africa, Asia, North America, Central America, South America, and Europe. This creature can live in hot volcanic lakes and in icy lakes in the Andean mountains. They make for interesting dinner guests ... they eat with their head upside down in the water. And - they are not only famous for their unusual colouring, but they're also famous for decorating peoples yards.

What Creature Am I?

Kiran
December 11th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Very cool pic. I saved it to my 'Life' pic folder. Very nice. Love the bubble.

I had it as my desktop for many years and have this saved too....I spoke to him in a dream once and he blew the bubbles at me :)

brother
December 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM
This creature is found in Africa, Asia, North America, Central America, South America, and Europe. This creature can live in hot volcanic lakes and in icy lakes in the Andean mountains. They make for interesting dinner guests ... they eat with their head upside down in the water. And - they are not only famous for their unusual colouring, but they're also famous for decorating peoples yards.

What Creature Am I?

lets see... I'll guess a pink flamingo

Narnia
December 11th, 2009, 01:50 PM
The Pink Flamingo!!

http://connect2utah.com/media/jpg/pink_flamingo22009-09-03-1251994248.jpg

oh ... wait ... I uploaded the wrong the photo ... sorry!

http://www.uh.edu/engines/flamingoreal.jpg

I'll have you know - I collect pink flamingo lawn decor. :)

brother
December 12th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I'll have you know - I collect pink flamingo lawn decor.

I think this belongs in the confession thread LOL

Just kidding ;) very cool

Narnia
December 12th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I think this belongs in the confession thread LOL

Just kidding ;) very cool

You know what - I think you're right!! Girl_blush

brother
December 12th, 2009, 07:50 PM
:) hugs

ok this animal is one of my favorite of its species. It lives mainly in north america and typically above 7000ft. The tendancy to live at high elevations combined with its brilliant color is what gives it its name.

:radar.1: have fun

Lion Spirit Walker
December 13th, 2009, 02:05 AM
The Bluebird, Siialia.?.
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/bluebird.jpg

brother
December 13th, 2009, 03:33 AM
hahahah perfect brother... indeed it is the mountain blue bird and that was the picture I'd chosen too! LOL

;) your turn

Lion Spirit Walker
December 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM
This should be relatively easy considering the amount of information I'm going to present. But due to my fascination with the species as well as the family it belongs to, I felt it deserving of detailed information. Not to mention, as a diver this species and some of the other species of it's family scare the hell out of me. Even more than sharks.

They are found in the eastern pacific ocean, commonly at depths of 200- 700m (660- 2,300ft).
Their range was once only as far north as the waters of California. But recent findings have shown the range of the species is spreading as far north as the waters of Alaska.
They are carnivorous. And move in shoals of up to 1,200 individuals. They swim at speeds of up to 24kmph (15mph). Their lifespam is approximately 1 to 4 years. And they grow rapidly up to 7ft, weighing up to 100lbs.
They rapidly change skin color as a complex communication system. They hunt for their prey in a cooperative fashion near the surface of the water at night.
They are known to attack divers and fishermen, sometimes draging them deep into the water.
They tend to be aggressive when feeding, being hunted, and when encountering unfamiliar objects. And have been known to cannibalize the injured and vunerable of their own shoal during feeding. Working together, several of this species can devour large prey very quickly.
Otherwise they're passive, curious, and intellegent.
Oh. And had I mentioned they scare the hell out of me... Cooperative hunting! NO WAY. I don't care how 'passive, curious, and intellegent' they are. I'm not jumping in with them. LOL. Before desiding to major in commercial art, I wanted to major in marine biology and specialize in the study of this species' family. It's amusing how that which scares the hell out of us also fascinates us to no end. Hmmm.

Mr. Brightside
December 19th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Is it a Humboldt Squid?

Dont know if this is one but I liked the picture :D

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/brian_mccarty_squid.jpg

Lion Spirit Walker
December 20th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Right On my friend. :Boy_yes3:
It is the Humboldt Squid/Dosidicus gigas.
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/humboldt-squid.jpg

Mr. Brightside
December 21st, 2009, 11:25 PM
ok an easy one for you :)

There are various types of this mammal and are found in various places of the world including Norway, Siberia, and Canada, and they eat the leaves of willows and birches, as well as sedges and grasses.

They have two layers of fur, a dense woolly undercoat and longer-haired overcoat.

It travels the furthest of any terrestrial mammal, walking up to 5,000 km (3,100 mi) a year,

Sadly the species is in decline although they will always be thought of this time of year ;)

Lion Spirit Walker
December 22nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
Hello my friend. :)
Check my animal on page 7. If that's the answer go ahead and take another turn.
;)

Lion Spirit Walker
December 29th, 2009, 01:54 AM
:blink::7hit (1):
Oh No!!!
I've killed the thread.
Noooooooooooooo.
:no.1:
Just joking.
;)

Narnia
December 30th, 2009, 01:28 PM
:blink::7hit (1):
Oh No!!!
I've killed the thread.
Noooooooooooooo.
:no.1:
Just joking.
;)

he-he ..... you haven't killed the thread .... I think this is a pretty strong thread myself!

Anyhoo .... Sean's animal sounds like a Tundra animal ... maybe it is the ....

Musk Ox - Ovibos moschatus

http://www.cowart.info/blog/uploaded_images/muskox-wallpaper-753654.jpg

Lion Spirit Walker
December 31st, 2009, 01:04 AM
Hahaha!
It's the 'Giant Baby Loving Goats'.
They are too cool. :cool.3:

Narnia
January 1st, 2010, 12:45 AM
This anphibian is known for being a cannibal and strangely enough it has a keen taste for it's young - good thing to not be a family member of this species!

'Mom! don't eat me, please!' ..... Yikes!

What creature am I?

Lion Spirit Walker
January 1st, 2010, 09:40 AM
The Wood frog, Rana sylvatica.?.
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/woodfrog.jpg

Narnia
January 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM
The Wood frog, Rana sylvatica.?.

Nope ... but certainly a good guess ....

Another hint in the process of elimination - this hint leans towards folk lore; if you happen to kiss this anphibian you may end up getting warts ... ick!

Lion Spirit Walker
January 2nd, 2010, 01:26 AM
LOL. It's a Toad. Hehehe.
Still playing with the new features. But I will do my 'homework' on Toads and come back with a proper response.
Kisssss Meeeeee Pleaseeeee. LOLLOL.

Lion Spirit Walker
January 2nd, 2010, 03:00 AM
The 'true' Toad, Bufo bufo.
Lol. Who wouldn't want to kiss that cuddly creature? LOL.
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/toadbufobufo.jpg

Narnia
January 2nd, 2010, 03:07 AM
The 'true' Toad, Bufo bufo.
Lol. Who wouldn't want to kiss that cuddly creature? LOL

You're so close I'll give it you!

I was actually thinking of the ......

Cannibal Cane Toad - Bufo marinus.

http://www.greendiary.com/images/amp_byron_cane_toad_45.jpg

I must say this toad does look tough!

Lion Spirit Walker
January 2nd, 2010, 03:19 AM
Thank you very much.
LOL. It's a good thing they're smaller than we are. Hehehe.
I'll post the next animal game question after doing a little research.

Lion Spirit Walker
January 2nd, 2010, 05:11 AM
This animal is found along the southern and western coast of Australia. It's conservation status is 'Near Threatened'. And it is the only member of it's genus.
It's name is derived from it's resemblance to a mythical creature. And they grow to approximately 20-24cm (10-12in). It's appearance allows it to camouflage with it's surroundings. And it is capable of changing it's color to blend in.
Additional clue; Crystallorri is well know to like the mythical creature mentioned above. Hehehe.
Who am I???

Narnia
January 3rd, 2010, 09:20 PM
Is it the ....

Thorny Devil - Moloch horridus

http://www.alexanderberrymd.com/ThornyDevil.jpg

COOL!! This little bugger looks awfully proud!! :cool.3:

Lion Spirit Walker
January 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
:biglaugh.2: Hehehe. Cool pic. And good guess, but 'no.'
Think aquatic. (hint, hint)
p.s., I liked the pic so much I added it to my "Life" folder so it will be one of the images in my screen saver. Cool. :cool.3:

Narnia
January 4th, 2010, 12:17 AM
p.s., I liked the pic so much I added it to my "Life" folder so it will be one of the images in my screen saver. Cool. :cool.3:

Oh good, I am glad you liked it so! Well, to be honest ... I couldn't help myself ... I just had to post that photo when I saw it ... it was so funny!!

Plus, I had a feeling your choice of animal was aquatic .... (*hsigh* ... remind me, to never second guess my intuition!)

Lion Spirit Walker
January 4th, 2010, 10:35 PM
And here I thought second guessing the intuition was a male thing. Lol.
Next clue, same animal;
It's common name indicates a dragon, yet it's latin name indicates a horse.

Kiran
January 5th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Is it the Leafy Sea Dragon - Phycodurus eques?
Beautiful little creature!!
http://www.subaqua.com.au/images/Leafy_Sea_Dragon1.jpg

Lion Spirit Walker
January 5th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Well Done!!!
LOL. It's your turn. ;)

Kiran
January 6th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Hmm...I'll have to think hard on one.....after that one! That was a good one and a beautiful creature!

Kiran
January 10th, 2010, 07:50 PM
This creature can grow up to almost 10 feet long and they are designed perfectly for thier environment. They can be found in many places across the globe but have a preference for warmer climes.

Lion Spirit Walker
January 12th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Hehehehe. My mind immediately went to horny male whales -------. Heheheheehe.
Oh Pardon Me. LOLLOL.

Kiran
January 14th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Hehehe...naughty boy!!

Guess I have to give you all another clue.....

These can give you a nasty nip!!

Kiran
January 18th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Ok looks like I have to give another clue here....

They prefer water to land and thier bodies have adapted to thier new way of life perfectly compared to thier land based relatives!

Kiran
January 30th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Ok very last clue!!! The majority of them are highly venomous!

Narnia
January 30th, 2010, 02:22 PM
My first thought was a Jellyfish .... but I know that isn't right .... still thinking cause this one is tough! :)

brother
January 30th, 2010, 03:10 PM
sound like some kind of snake in the grass :D

Kiran
January 30th, 2010, 03:14 PM
sound like some kind of snake in the grass :D

Hello stranger! Good to see you again here with us! Missed you my brother!!
Getting very warm ;)

Kiran
January 31st, 2010, 09:05 PM
My first thought was a Jellyfish .... but I know that isn't right .... still thinking cause this one is tough! :)

Getting warmer though Polly! ;)

Kiran
February 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Ok I am going to give this over to brother being as he got the nearest!

brother
February 9th, 2010, 02:15 AM
LOL not going to unless I get to find out what it was! LOL

Lion Spirit Walker
February 9th, 2010, 03:48 AM
It was Larry.

Kiran
February 9th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Michael - No it wasn't my Larry although this would be a kind of relative of my cornsnake!

Brother - hehehehe its a sea snake! Hydrophis spiralis

brother
February 9th, 2010, 02:54 PM
lol you two..

ok, thought I'd try a different tact... :D

who is this http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/TOV_080502_00618C_L.jpg

Narnia
February 9th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Chad - that is such an awesome idea!! I love it! COOL! :girl_yes3 (1):

Lion Spirit Walker
February 9th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Completely agree. Gives it a new twist. ;)

Lion Spirit Walker
February 10th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Hehehe. Dear Brother, that was a very good twist on the game. But next round consider blocking the photographer's name and the site at which you found the photo for more of a challenge. ;)
This bird is a song bird and is found in open country acrossed the western two thirds of North America.
It is the Western Meadowlark/Sternella neglecta
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/WesternMeadowlark.jpg

brother
February 10th, 2010, 12:14 AM
LOL..... well it was hard not to find a pic that didnt identify it straight away...

http://www.naturesongs.com/eame2.wav this link will let you hear its call

good go broder :D your turn

Lion Spirit Walker
February 10th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Who are we???

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/giantcuttlefish2.jpg

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/giantcuttlefish.jpg

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/giant_cuttlefish.jpg

Lion Spirit Walker
February 11th, 2010, 04:42 AM
An additional clue; this gpecies is the largest of it's genus.

Kiran
February 11th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Is it Cuttlefish? Sepia apama?

Lion Spirit Walker
February 11th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Hmmmm. Which species???

brother
February 11th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I bet its the species with a "southern" accent :D

Kiran
February 11th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hmmmm. Which species???

They are of the order Sepiida which belongs to the class Cephalopoda. Thier sub class is Coleoidea. Is this what you meant Michael?

Lion Spirit Walker
February 13th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I'll give it to you for the effort.
They are Sepi apama or Giant Cuttlefish found in the waters around Australia.
;)

Kiran
February 13th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Thank you ;) I'll have a think on this one...

Kiran
February 22nd, 2010, 12:36 PM
Who am I? Breed and latin name and particular common variety name....;)

http://www.halloffamereptiles.com/aneryc.jpg

Lion Spirit Walker
February 28th, 2010, 06:17 AM
You are a snake... Hehehehehe.
It is a pretty one. How long does it grow and where is it indiginous to????
Clues.......

Kiran
March 1st, 2010, 08:38 AM
You are a snake... Hehehehehe.
It is a pretty one. How long does it grow and where is it indiginous to????
Clues.......

I am glad you think its pretty ;) I am partial to these myself!!
They grow to approxiamtely 5 ft in length and are from USA originally.

Lion Spirit Walker
March 5th, 2010, 03:59 AM
After looking at 6,000 different snakes (hehehe. just joking), I believe I've found it...
Gray Rat Snake, Elaphe obsoleta spiloides.
In iIreland their know as Larry. Hehehehehe.

Kiran
March 5th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Ooh you are so close here..! It is a species of Rat Snake but which one...? And what 'morph'?? hehehehe am I being too tough here?? ;)

Lion Spirit Walker
March 6th, 2010, 04:02 AM
LOL. Okay, back to the Rat Snake drawing board.
I really hadn't realized there are so many different Rat Snakes.
Snakes, snakes, snakes, snakes...
p.s., I'll work this one out or pop trying. Hehehe.
Ssssssssssssss.

Narnia
March 6th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Ssssssssssssss.

*he-he-he-he*

Kiran
March 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Ssssssssssssss.

hehehehe...ok ok...if you almost get there, I'll give it to you ;)
You are definitly close there though!!

Lion Spirit Walker
March 7th, 2010, 10:54 AM
corn snake

Kiran
March 7th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Woohoo!! Good for you!! And yes, that is what my Larry looks like ;) His full name is in latin Elaphe guttata guttata and his 'morph' or colour variety is Anerythristic type B as he doesn't have any yellow on his neck. Anerythristic are also known as black albinos...the natural colour of corns being red - they have had all the colour bred out of them. I did say you were very close as they are a sub species of Rat Snakes.
Well done and next guess to you....

Lion Spirit Walker
March 24th, 2010, 02:46 AM
[Finally...]
Who am I???
It's the only member of the monotypic genus. It can be found in New Guinea and northern Queensland, Australia.
Conservation status is 'Least Concern' (IUCN 3.1)
And was originally described by a German naturalist in 1788.
Oh. And I am know by two names (not including the latin name.)
Who am I???
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/Palm_Cockatoo1.jpg

brother
March 25th, 2010, 01:43 AM
The Palm Cockatoo (Probosciger aterrimus), also known as the Goliath Cockatoo, is a large smoky-grey or black parrot of the cockatoo family. It is the only member in subfamily Microglossinae and the only member of the monotypic genus, Probosciger. Its unique position within the cockatoo family has been confirmed by molecular studies.
The Palm Cockatoo is distributed in rainforests and woodlands of New Guinea and northern Queensland, Australia. A majority of all captive-bred Palm Cockatoos are currently owned by Natalie Copp, David Roberts, Mike Tyson, Thomas Woodward and Ina Zuncke. The collective breeding program has been deemed a success by the Palm Cockatoo Conservation in Papua New Guinea:wink.1:

Lion Spirit Walker
March 25th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Right On & Very Well Done. :)
Your turn my Brother. ;)

brother
March 25th, 2010, 02:25 AM
http://www.14ers.com/images/trips/huro/52_2008082314403210_l.jpg

I'm found in Eurasia and North America and am a member of the squirrel family.

Who am I?

Kiran
March 26th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Is it a Marmot?

brother
March 26th, 2010, 03:18 PM
.........yes, some also know me in the animal kingdom as Buddha :smile1:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Marmot-edit1.jpg
http://www.bergnews.com/postkarten/marmot-aum-gr.jpg
Good job Kiran.

Narnia
March 26th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Awesome photo Chad!! :)

Kiran
March 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM
hehehehe Buddha!! Love the picture!! :D
How are you doing? Sure is good to see you here once again with us :)

Kiran
April 7th, 2010, 09:00 AM
This little mammal extends across Europe, Africa and Asia and tends to be mainly nocturnal. It can be found in woodland and farmland. It is on average only about 3.5 - 4.5 cm long.

Who am I??

Lion Spirit Walker
April 13th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Daubenton's Bat
Myotis daubentoni

These little ones are cool. They can live up to 22 years despite their small size. They can fly at 3 weeks after birth and reach independence at 6-8 weeks of age.
Their range spans from Ireland to Japan and includes North Africa.
Although considered endangered in Germany and Austria, else where the species is doing exceptionally well and believed to be increasing in numbers.
They are insectavors, and in one hour of feeding can increase their body weight by as much as 57%.
They're very cool.
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/daub.jpg

Kiran
April 13th, 2010, 08:40 AM
No sorry!! But you are extremely warm!!! ;)
Very pretty little bat though ;)

Lion Spirit Walker
April 17th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Here is a little tiny possibility. And they really are tiny.
The Soprano Pipistrelle, Pipistrellus pygmaeus
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/soprano-pipistrelle-bat.jpg

Kiran
April 17th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Woohoo!!! Well done Michael!! It was indeed a Pipestrelle!!! These are common in Ireland and the UK and they are so pretty! They are great for keeping bugs at bay and are protected here.
HUGS
http://www.fledermausschutz.ch/DOWNLOAD/BILDER/IMG_BILDER/pipistrellus_pipistrellus.jpg

Lion Spirit Walker
April 17th, 2010, 11:27 PM
They are cool, lol, and very tiny.

Lion Spirit Walker
April 22nd, 2010, 03:20 AM
None of us live in the wild as we are all domestic. We communicate through a variety of sounds. But most of us really enjoy 'humming'. It's usually to let everyone know we're here and content. We're a happpy and well mannered bunch. Oh. Did I mention everyone wants our wonderful hair? Who are we???
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/Alpaca_face.jpg
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/Unshorn_alpaca_grazing.jpg

Kiran
April 22nd, 2010, 08:58 AM
We are Alpacas - Vicugna pacos???
I love these!!! :D

Narnia
April 22nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Oh - Shaggy!! I love it!! :)

Lion Spirit Walker
May 2nd, 2010, 11:26 PM
Yes, Yes!!!
They do have a way of warming the heart with fuzzies.

Kiran
May 4th, 2010, 12:21 PM
They remind me of when I was a little girl and going to London Zoo! I remember seeing these and just wanting to give them a huge hug and snuggle!! I kinda had the same thing when I saw a shaggy sheepskin rug on one of my mums friends floor....ok I am guessing Freud might have something to say there....lollol

Lion Spirit Walker
May 8th, 2010, 02:32 AM
One of my best friends from my youth came by to say "Hello."
The Sealions are the only ones of the entire family to have ear flaps. And they're a lot of fun when SCUBA diving in kelp forest also. Enjoying a good game of 'peek-a-boo'.
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/sealion.jpg

Lion Spirit Walker
July 28th, 2010, 02:45 AM
I live in the Phillippines, but the 'experts' didn't realize it until 2007. September 17. Who am I????
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/flying-foxneo.jpg

Lion Spirit Walker
August 12th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Okay poopsters... [lol]. It is the Phillippenes Flying Fox.
Apparently I'm going to have to shake this place up a little. Hahahahaha.
Watch out...Here I come.
Hehehehe.