PDA

View Full Version : Use This Word

Logio
September 26th, 2009, 06:02 AM
This is a chance to learn more vocabulary words. At least seven people must use the word before someone else picks the new word. You may not pick two in a row.

invariably adv. constantly: without variation or change, in every case; "constantly kind and gracious"; "he always arrives on time"

http://www.manningsmunchies.com/WomanSippingCoffee.jpg

The woman would arrive at the office, invariably sip her coffee, and read the newpaper before working on her special projects.

Nathan

Lion Spirit Walker
September 26th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Nathan, I enjoy the fact that you invariably provide me with a healthy dose of food for thought. ;)

God's Toy
September 26th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Good idea!

Whenever I try to get some time to work on the board, (or just post) invariably Seryn will hear the keyboard and think it's time to come and mash the keys as much as she can, if I am fast (like just now) I can save my work and open a new page just for her to play with.

Narnia
September 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Great idea!!

At 5:45 every morning, our cat Mischa, will invariably scratch at the door until she is let out by one of her humans ... gotta love the cat alarm clock.

Narnia
September 26th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Going slightly off topic here ... but this thread reminds me of an email subscription that I used to get ... 'Word a Day' ... from [/URL][url]WordSmith (http://www.wordsmith.org) :)

Logio
September 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Going slightly off topic here ... but this thread reminds me of an email subscription that I used to get ... 'Word a Day' ... from [/URL][url]WordSmith (http://www.wordsmith.org) :)

Every morning I invariably went to dictionary.com to get a word a day.

I was thinking about having us pick a daily word...but I don't know how that would be with our oversea friends. Do you think the current rule is good. In other words, do you think there are enough people interested? Or should I make it at leastl five people using the word before we move on to the next word?

Nathan

Narnia
September 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Do you think the current rule is good. In other words, do you think there are enough people interested?

Nathan

Well, I for one, think it is a good rule and fair rule.

Who knows maybe over time the number will increase to 10! :)

Kiran
September 26th, 2009, 07:37 PM
When online and writing away, the phone or doorbell invariably goes and shatters my line of thought!!

Jordan
September 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM
wow Nathan it's very good idea...I can learn a lot of English words and hoe to use

Lion Spirit Walker
September 26th, 2009, 08:57 PM
LOL.
Your all crazy.
LOL.
But I'm here too. So I'm invariably crazy as well.
:crazy (1):

Logio
September 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I'm probably the most crazy.
It's time for someone to pick another word! :)

Nathan

Lion Spirit Walker
September 26th, 2009, 10:05 PM
LOL. Nathan. I belive it to be a healthy way of being.

I'll provide a new word. But I will only provide the word, without definition or source as to add a bit more of a challenge. If you (the reader) apply a bit of logic and reasoning you'll be able to accurately use the word in a sentence.
'Atman'

Not wounded by weapons,
Not burned by fire,
Not dried by the wind,
Not wetted by water;
Such is the Atman

Logio
September 26th, 2009, 11:55 PM
He then knew what he had to do. It was as if he, driven by his Atman, had a newly tempered desire to do the things that now mattered to him most...or else he felt that he just might parish from sheer boredom.

Lion Spirit Walker
September 27th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Well done Nathan.
Very nice.

Lion Spirit Walker
September 28th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Okay. This game is no fun if no one is playing.
Perhaps I should allow someone else to choose a different word.

Logio
September 28th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Okay. This game is no fun if no one is playing.
Perhaps I should allow someone else to choose a different word.

Atman is perhaps a bit esoteric for most...or maybe it's because of the weekend.

How about If words get less than a response of four in one day we will move on to the next word?

I like Atman though. :)

Nathan

Lion Spirit Walker
September 28th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Thank you very much.
I like that idea.
;)
:superman:

Narnia
September 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM
And the Atman came together to become one.

Logio
September 28th, 2009, 04:02 PM
http://www.crystalpixels.com/gallery/newage1.jpg

We are all Atman; who arrive from the same source: Brahman, that indescribable, inexhaustible, omnicient, omnipresent, original, first, eternal and absolute principle, who is without a beginning, without an end, who is hidden in all and who is the cause source material and effect of all creation known, unknown and yet to happen in the entire universe.

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/atman.asp

...I dipped into spirituality, but stayed within the context of the vocabulary building.

MystEerieUsOne
September 28th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Haven't read Ken Wilbur in 20 years, but I still say the Answer's Atwoman!

:laugh:

Try: singularity

Narnia
September 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM
ZTY0BJdf8ok

ENJOY ATMAN!!! ;)

Logio
September 29th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Polly, would you like to pick a new word?

Nathan

Narnia
October 1st, 2009, 01:13 PM
Polly, would you like to pick a new word?

Nathan

Sure - why not!? Thanks Nathan :)

Supreme (adj) highest in quality, achievement, performance, etc.; most excellent. [Other useage options: su-preme'ly adv, su-preme'ness n.]

http://www.appliancist.com/automatic-espresso-machine-ariete-supreme.jpg

The coffee this morning is supremely good! :)

Kiran
October 1st, 2009, 01:27 PM
Hmm...Ben and Jerry's new macadamia ice cream is supreme!!

Logio
October 1st, 2009, 01:28 PM
With a supreme act of strength and will, she pulled the stalled car from the railroad tracks, just as an approaching train turned the bend.

Lion Spirit Walker
October 1st, 2009, 06:43 PM
While playing the 'supreme' video shared by Polly, Psy (my cockatoo) and I danced with the rythem of our Atman.
It was most supreme indeed.
:Hbounce

Logio
October 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM
http://30secondrule.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/confluence.jpg

Confluence n. A place where things merge or flow together (especially rivers); "Pittsburgh is located at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers.

Ours was a confluence of minds...a mental lovemaking which brought us higher and higher to that supreme peak - which the Atman so most excitedly dwells.

Nathan

Narnia
October 4th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Me being a native of Pittsburgh knows that the confluence of those two rivers; the Allegheny and the Monongahela, go on to form the Ohio river. :)

Great word Nathan!

Kiran
October 5th, 2009, 01:52 PM
This website is a confluence of mind, body and spirit!

Logio
October 11th, 2009, 06:16 AM
http://www.dicklanephotography.com/images/dlp_new_mostlysmall/twominds.jpg

Interlocutor : someone who takes part in a conversation, often formally or officially.

My interlocutor had assumed for so many years, that it had been my ego which had run the conversation. However, he eventually came to the sober conclusion, that I had been simply driven to maintain a rational discourse with the use of logic and reason.

Nathan

Lion Spirit Walker
October 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Nathan, let it rest.

Logio
October 11th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Nathan, let it rest.

Okay, Michael

brother
October 11th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Thought I'd see if I couldn't catch up a little...

With the confluence of interlocutors with in these hallowed halls we will be invariably lead into a greater understanding of our altman.

:D

Mr. Brightside
October 11th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Thought I'd see if I couldn't catch up a little...

With the confluence of interlocutors with in these hallowed halls we will be invariably lead into a greater understanding of our altman.

:D

Very Clever :D

Narnia
October 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Very Clever :D

Definitely clever - nearing cunning!! :)

brother
October 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
LOL thank you both... so, ummm was it good enough to get to choose the new word?

Narnia
October 11th, 2009, 08:43 PM
LOL thank you both... so, ummm was it good enough to get to choose the new word?

Well, I think so!!

You get a gold star from me!! ;)

brother
October 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM
hahaha.. thank you!

Ok.. so I am terribly ornery by nature and I'm also a bit random

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is like one of my favorite words of all time but the purest will scoff so....something different........

maybe antidisestablishmentarianism? but you know, with words like that, our governments might target the site...... hmmmmmm..........

OK, I have it! sesquipedalianism - the use of long words

Narnia
October 11th, 2009, 09:03 PM
hahaha.. thank you!

Ok.. so I am terribly ornery by nature and I'm also a bit random

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is like one of my favorite words of all time but the purest will scoff so....something different........

maybe antidisestablishmentarianism? but you know, with words like that, our governments might target the site...... hmmmmmm..........

OK, I have it! sesquipedalianism - the use of long words

My brain is twitching! Wait!? I think I see smoke coming from my ears trying to think of a another big word so I can impress you all with my sesquipedalianism abilities! :)

Did I get the use right? :blink:

brother
October 11th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Totally awesome Sphinx! Exactly so :)

Narnia
October 11th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Totally awesome Sphinx! Exactly so :)

Sha-woo. For a second there I thought I was going to look rather silly. :laugh: But then again silly and me go hand in hand!

Logio
October 11th, 2009, 09:21 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pY88T0QBg-M/SjsceKasyFI/AAAAAAAACVA/smPqXIUPY3k/s400/Vahe+-+long+words.jpg

They in that city were often given to sesquipedalianism by listing such words as...

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

Or...

acetylseryltyrosylserylisoleucylthreonylserylprolylserylglutaminyl-
phenylalanylvalylphenylalanylleucylserylserylvalyltryptophylalanyl-
aspartylprolylisoleucylglutamylleucylleucylasparaginylvalylcysteinyl-
threonylserylserylleucylglycylasparaginylglutaminylphenylalanyl-
glutaminylthreonylglutaminylglutaminylalanylarginylthreonylthreonyl-
glutaminylvalylglutaminylglutaminylphenylalanylserylglutaminylvalyl-
tryptophyllysylprolylphenylalanylprolylglutaminylserylthreonylvalyl-
arginylphenylalanylprolylglycylaspartylvalyltyrosyllysylvalyltyrosyl-
arginyltyrosylasparaginylalanylvalylleucylaspartylprolylleucylisoleucy l-
threonylalanylleucylleucylglycylthreonylphenylalanylaspartylthreonyl-
arginylasparaginylarginylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylvalylglutamyl-
asparaginylglutaminylglutaminylserylprolylthreonylthreonylalanylglutam yl-
threonylleucylaspartylalanylthreonylarginylarginylvalylaspartylasparty l-
alanylthreonylvalylalanylisoleucylarginylserylalanylasparaginylisoleuc yl-
asparaginylleucylvalylasparaginylglutamylleucylvalylarginylglycyl-
threonylglycylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylasparaginylthreonyl-
phenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglycylleucylvalyltryptophyl-
threonylserylalanylprolylalanylserine

or...

methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphen-
ylalanylalanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylgluta-
mylglysylalanylphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylalanylyalylthre-
onylleucylglcycylaspartylprolylglicylisoleucyglutamylgluta-
minlserylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleu-
cylglutamylalanylglyclyalanylaspartylalanylleucyglutamylle-
ucylgluycylisoleucylproluylphenylalanyserylaspartyprolylleu-
celalanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonylisolleucyglutaminylaspa-
raginylalanythreonylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanylalanylal-
anylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphen-
ylalanylglglutamylmethionylleucyalanylleucylisoleucylarginyl-
glutaminyllysylhistidylprolyuthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleuc-
ylglycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasbaraginylleucyl-
valylphenylalanylsparaginyyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglut-
amylphenylalanylyltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyll-
ysylvalylglycylvalylspartylserylvalylleucylvallalanylaspart-
ylvalylprolylvalvlglutaminylglutamylserylalanylprolylpheny-
lalalrginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasp-
araginylvalylalalprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcystei-
nylprolyprolylaspartylalanylaspartylaspartyspartyleucylle-
ucylarginylglutaminylisoleucylalanylseryltyroslglycylargin-
ylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginlalanyl-
glycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginylarginyla-
nylalanylleucylprolylleucylaspaaginylhistidylleucylvalylalan-
yllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasparagimylalanylalanypro-
lylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenlalanylglycylisoleyucyls-
erylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylalanylisol-
eucylalspartylalanylglycylalanylalanylglycylalanylasoleucylse-
rylglycylserylalanylisoleucylbalyllysylisoleucylisoleucylgluta-
mylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylpronylglu-0
tamyllysylmethionylluecylalanylalanyoeucyllysylvalylpheny-
lalanylvalylglutamilylprolylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreo-
nylarginylserine.

Nathan

Mr. Brightside
October 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pY88T0QBg-M/SjsceKasyFI/AAAAAAAACVA/smPqXIUPY3k/s400/Vahe+-+long+words.jpg

They in that city were often given to sesquipedalianism by listing such words as...

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

Alas the mayor of the city decided that sesquipedalianism should be made illegal as texting was becoming too difficult :D

Sorry I am in a strange mood today ;)

brother
October 13th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Logio.. Gollum... LOL haha love it.

When my oldest was only 3 she had the knack of sesquipedalianism down to a fine art, using words like smissnatios (pistachios) and Idonknowdady. The older she got the more she regressed into words like "uhu" and "totally". LOL

Mr. Brightside
October 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Its amazing how you learn them to talk then in their teenage years they go back to grunting, ;)

Narnia
October 14th, 2009, 09:51 PM
The older she got the more she regressed into words like "uhu" and "totally". LOL

I'll have you know, although I am far from being a teen (thank heavens) ... since being active online - I use the word 'totally'!

Like, I totally love it - like it's totally tubular - yeah! ...................... :laugh:

Mr. Brightside
October 14th, 2009, 10:28 PM
As long as you dont use just one word "WHATEVER" to reply to posts, its cool polly, If you do you will be sent to your room with no supper :D

Logio
October 14th, 2009, 10:46 PM
As long as you dont use just one word "WHATEVER" to reply to posts, its cool polly, If you do you will be sent to your room with no supper :D

http://livetorock.com/156/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/biff.jpg

Biff V. pummel: strike, usually with the fist; "The pedestrians pummeled the demonstrators

When I was in High School we used to say: "Dude you're such a biff!"...or "Don't be a biff."...as perhaps someone who acts as if they have just been biffed.

http://www.batmania.com.ar/images/images_serie/serie_biff.jpg

Narnia
October 14th, 2009, 11:43 PM

*she makes the 'w' sign with her thumbs and fingers* Like - whatever!

:laugh:

Logio
October 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM
http://th00.deviantart.net/fs20/300W/f/2007/229/9/5/Dream_about_falling_down_by_bucz.jpg

Purchase (secondary meaning) n. Hold, grip, grasp.

He dreamed that he had lost purchase of the railing, falling more than 20 storeys.

Nathan

Narnia
October 17th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Unbeknownst to him, the purchase he has on my heart is great.

Logio
October 18th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Unbeknownst to him, the purchase he has on my heart is great.

http://www.russstreet.com/img/robot_romance.jpg

I like this a lot Polly! Your words have purchase of my soul's contents.

Nathan

Narnia
October 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Awh, sweetie - that is so nice and endearing! :giveheart

Mr. Brightside
October 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
As the seagull flew away with the golf ball in its mouth it felt the purchase it had on the strange round thing was fragile and could feel it slipping from its mouth.

0uXZ3_A2nGs

Logio
October 19th, 2009, 05:45 AM
http://jeffgoins.myadventures.org/blogphotos/myadventures/jeffgoins/rich_woman.jpg

She, an elegant cat of the most sophisticated poise, had purchase me, the meekest country mouse.

Nathan

Logio
October 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Okay, new rule: if nobody posts within a week, the person who sent the last word may post twice in a row.

That being said:

Report n. (secondary meaning) the sound of a gun firing);

"they heard a violent report followed by silence" ...

http://blackscientist.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/scared.jpg

When she heard the report of the gun's firing, she became hysterical - for she knew - as in her most feared nightmare - that her ex-husband Larry, the psychotic serial killer, had entered the house!
She frantically attempted to load her own gun, but lost purchase of it and it fell down the stairs with dull thumps that competed with the beats of her terror-stricken heart.

Nathan

Nathan

Narnia
October 27th, 2009, 12:29 AM
The report of the gun's fire was so loud that it echoed across the wintry night sky,
reaching the single pane windows of the neighbor's house.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2015/2116157886_f2d7222865.jpg?v=0

The neighbor was so alarmed by the foreign sound, that they reported it to the police.

Logio
October 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
The report of the gun's fire was so loud that it echoed across the wintry night sky, reaching the single pane windows of the neighbor's house.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2015/2116157886_f2d7222865.jpg?v=0

The neighbor was so alarmed by the foreign sound, that they reported it to the police.

Good job, my dear!

Polly, have you ever thought about writing? I think this thread may get you addicted to it. Another good writer here is Lorri....like yours, her writing makes me want to keep reading...which means it is good writing. In fact you should use this as opening sentence to begin writing your novel...it sounds like a mystery! take your time, make is yours.

Nathan

Narnia
October 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Good job, my dear!

Polly, have you ever thought about writing? I think this thread may get you addicted to it. Another good writer here is Lorri....like yours, her writing makes me want to keep reading...which means it is good writing. In fact you should use this as opening sentence to begin writing your novel...it sounds like a mystery! take your time, make is yours.

Nathan

Oh Nathan dear, you are far too kind!

I fear I would not make a very good writer - for my grammatical skills are indeed lacking; commas, semi colons, etc - tend to make my brain short circuit .... but I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your compliment!

Yes, I do enjoy this thread - because is it very challenging and it certainly stirs the gray soup inside my head! :7hit (1):

Logio
October 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Oh Nathan dear, you are far too kind!

I fear I would not make a very good writer - for my grammatical skills are indeed lacking; commas, semi colons, etc - tend to make my brain short circuit .... but I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your compliment!

Yes, I do enjoy this thread - because is it very challenging and it certainly stirs the gray soup inside my head! :7hit (1):

Polly, that's what editors are for! LOL! Just write the story...and whenever anyone speaks, just throw some quotations around the words. :)

Nathan

Mr. Brightside
October 29th, 2009, 12:10 AM
The report of the gun firing seemed to echo around the block for what seemed like an eternity, Time seemed to slow down, He looked down at the gun in his hands, still smoking and thought

OMG Ive killed Kenny ;)

Narnia
October 29th, 2009, 12:13 AM
.... still smoking and thought OMG Ive killed Kenny ;) ....

Oh my - that is so funny! :girl_yes3 (1):

Logio
October 29th, 2009, 03:54 AM
http://belmontfrontporch.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/guns-for-teacher.gif

When the students refused to do their homework, the teacher gave them some reports they would never again forget...

Nathan

Logio
October 29th, 2009, 04:59 AM
The report of the gun firing seemed to echo around the block for what seemed like an eternity, Time seemed to slow down, He looked down at the gun in his hands, still smoking and thought

OMG Ive killed Kenny ;)

http://images.southparkstudios.com/crap/downloads/preview_image_thumbnail.php?id=2101

With the report of that gun, you deserve to give us the next word, Gollum. :confused.3: :no.1::blink:

Nathan

Mr. Brightside
October 29th, 2009, 11:47 AM
fabulist –noun 1. a person who invents or relates fables. 2. a liar.

Jenny knew that Sandra was a fabulist of the highest order. As the people crowded around her in the office listening to her tales of the weekend, Sandra caught a glance of Jennys scowl from across the room and shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

Logio
October 29th, 2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/4000/Britney-Spears-Bartender--4364.jpg

That bartender, she is such a fabulist....she is always telling people fantastic stories...such as being related to Britney Spears. I don't see any resemblance...do you?

Nathan

Narnia
November 1st, 2009, 01:01 PM
http://www.nickelinthemachine.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/dors-and-hamilton-facing-each-other.jpg

Isabelle's heart raced wildly inside her chest as she thought of what to say next.
As she stood there facing him she could see the doubt in his eyes.
In the gaping silence she realised she turned into a fabulist,
because no matter what she said or could say would not be the truth.

Logio
November 1st, 2009, 08:43 PM
Isabelle's heart raced wildly inside her chest as she thought of what to say next.
As she stood there facing him she could see the doubt in his eyes.
In the gaping silence she realised she turned into a fabulist,
because no matter what she said or could say would not be the truth.

Polly, I say your writing is very mesmerizing and that you should at least write for a year to see what happens....you would be a great fabulist, but never a liar. :)

Regards,

Nathan

Narnia
November 1st, 2009, 10:01 PM
Polly, I say your writing is very mesmerizing and that you should at least write for a year to see what happens....you would be a great fabulist, but never a liar. :)

Regards,

Nathan

Perhaps, I will find a way to stitch all of these formulated sentences together and make a short story out them. :girl_yes3 (1):

Logio
November 2nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Perhaps, I will find a way to stitch all of these formulated sentences together and make a short story out them. :girl_yes3 (1):

...and your collection of short stories will be called 'Polly's Quilt'....so you have to have a short story named that! :)

Logio
November 5th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Bromance n. A nonsexual complicated love and affection shared by two males.

http://www.dreamstime.com/two-gay-men-on-beach-vacation-thumb5932115.jpg

Edward loved his friend Richard with an uncommon passion that most friends enjoyed...even thrilled because the walks they would continue to have on the beach. Richard would make the most beautiful women available to his bosom buddy...and at parties they were virtually inseparable. Their bromance transcended the borders of mere frienship -- for they would become deeply emotional when the other lost a girlfriend; one's happiness sorely depended on the other.

Nathan

Logio
November 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I guess that word wasn't very popular; I hope this one is better:

http://abirdandabottle.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/prepregnant.jpg

interloper - ( n t r-l p r). n. 1. One that interferes with the affairs of others, often for selfish reasons; a meddler. 2. One that intrudes in a place.

Pelly was an interloper in this world; a monstrosity. She carried within her universes upon universes...like some kind of antimatter she would obliterate all mortal minds beyond recognition.

Nathan

Narnia
November 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Everyone in the small town sensed a wedge had been formed between Gretchen and Frank, and they all knew it was because of Stella. For Stella had a reputation of being the interloper of the town. She was secretly in love with Frank. Even though she tried to keep her insane jealousy to herself, she just couldn't hide it anymore.

Logio
November 17th, 2009, 06:15 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_he_J0CdwgUQ/SG2pgM6rH1I/AAAAAAAAAQE/zLtcu_1olJs/s400/380px-Juggernaut_-_Project_Gutenberg_eBook_11921.jpg

Juggernaut n. a massive inexorable force that seems to crush everything in its way.

http://www.lasplash.com/uploads/3/Manchester_Grand_Hyatt-6_1.jpg

The corporate juggernauts unstoppably moved; but much like the those ancient beautiful vehicals, they were pleasanter to ride in -- with their nice, cushy, chairs -- than to be thrown underneath to appease the powers that be.

Nathan

Narnia
November 19th, 2009, 06:49 PM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/5745709-lg.jpg

The confoundly attractive Don Juan had made a career as a juggernaut
by plowing over women's hearts like a field of wild poppies,
which unknownly, were ready for harvesting.

Logio
November 19th, 2009, 10:29 PM
http://www.scratchlive.net/sharedimages/45/5645/5645_profile_big.jpeg

Pelly took a deep breath of that intoxicating otherworldly stuff, knowing that she would soon be the juggernaut of all who got in her way.

Nathan

Narnia
November 21st, 2009, 12:35 AM
Ca-reer. n. 2 a swift course, as of the sun through the sky.

http://techtv.mit.edu/system/covers/134/xlarge/user_photo_riceflan132.jpg

The career of Dasha's dancing impressed the judges,
that they granted her full marks for her audition.
Later, Dasha went on to become a celebrated dancer in her career.

Logio
November 21st, 2009, 03:03 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:en0ecikjssj-5M:http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/joss-car-500x336.jpg

She thought he had a sense of humor, but when she told him all about that night in Frisco with her friends be began his angry driving....the car in its newly runaway career almost slammed into a few trees, began sinking into the think drudge of the muddy shoulder, but he somehow managed to get out before it had sunk a quarter of a foot.

Logio
November 30th, 2009, 06:07 AM
a.k.a. inutero

Nexus n. the means of connection between things linked in series.

http://www.nova68.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/silverwall.jpg

The nexus between this dimension and that of the other, was not a space-time continuum (as previously thought by him) but was a series of infinite portals connecting past and present timeframes.

Nathan

Narnia
December 1st, 2009, 12:56 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tSGOcFKOoqI/Saawl4o09KI/AAAAAAAABf8/A5ybzLjkU5A/s400/Ochs+Design+loft.jpg2.jpg

The nervous wreck of an artist paced back and forth, in the spacious New York loft,
infront of his latest works leaning up against the wall.
He knew the gallery owner would be stopping by later to give the 'green light' for the show, he had been banking on.
The only thing missing was the artist statement - he hadn't anything to present...
Suddenly the studio phone rang, breaking his train of thought in trying to find the nexus of it all.
He gazed at the ringing phone for a moment and back at his work, then it all became clear.

Logio
December 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tSGOcFKOoqI/Saawl4o09KI/AAAAAAAABf8/A5ybzLjkU5A/s400/Ochs+Design+loft.jpg2.jpg

The nervous wreck of an artist paced back and forth, in the spacious New York loft,
infront of his latest works leaning up against the wall.
He knew the gallery owner would be stopping by later to give the 'green light' for the show, he had been banking on.
The only thing missing was the artist statement - he hadn't anything to present...
Suddenly the studio phone rang, breaking his train of thought in trying to find the nexus of it all.
He gazed at the ringing phone for a moment and back at his work, then it all became clear.

Very nice, Polly

Logio
December 2nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
http://images-3.redbubble.com/img/art/backingcolor:white/product:greeting-card/view:preview/1063125-2-salt-cathedral.jpg

History of Religion and Science A.D. 5000

The reality they found in that cross portal; the Natural and the Sacred...which was the the nexus of Science and Religion -- The New Age had finally begun.

Nathan

Logio
December 7th, 2009, 09:55 PM
meme (a cultural unit (an idea or value or pattern of behavior) that is passed from one person to another by non-genetic means (as by imitation)) "memes are the cultural counterpart of genes"

Maya (Sanskrit माया ''''), in Indian religions, has multiple meanings. Maya, is the principal concept which manifests, perpetuates and governs the illusion and dream of duality in the phenomenal Universe...

http://www.boncherry.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/face-black-and-white-optical-illusion.jpg

If one would only realize that the construction of everything is but memes and Maya, he would not fear the nature eternity and infinity...for he will realize that he will always be a part of this paradoxical dance.

Nathan

Logio
December 15th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Secondary meanings and spellings for...

co-opt (alt. coopt) to take one meaning or thing and adopt it for another purpose or meaning not necessarily totally dissimilar from the original thing or meaning.

co opt - take or assume for one's own use; "He co-opted the criticism and embraced it"

co opt - To absorb or assimilate. The notion is particularly important in discussions of modernism and postmodernism. Modernism, for example, is said to have fancied itself perennially outside mainstream culture in order to critique it from the position of the avant-garde.

co opt - to take over or adopt, often thereby rendering an oppositional or critical individual or group and their position(s) less potent.
http://crystalson.com/ENG104/Career%20Essay%20Assignment/Student%20Examples%20of%20Career%20Research%20Projects_files/image004.gif

Many cult leaders are known to co-opt their words from religious texts and manipulate them in order to seduce their followers by making them believe that the words have meanings other than what was orginially intended.

Nathan

Narnia
December 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM
http://www.elnellis.com/_media/images/studio.jpg

The Art Professor's and Grad student's relationship is one that is often tumultuous in nature.
The Grad student wants the merit of the work to impress the Professors and the Professors - in all honesty, could care less about the work itself.
It seems that what is important to the Professors is the art of coopting words inorder to support the art than the art itself.
Which the Professors prefer more than the Art student does.

Logio
December 18th, 2009, 06:15 AM
http://www.artbylt.com/Images/modern-art-7500.jpg

Artists usually coopt many of their concepts from abstract ideas or from nature...but many artists will still tell you that it is simply spontaneous creativity

Nathan

Logio
December 25th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Stygian adj. 1. a. Gloomy and dark. b. Infernal; hellish. 2. Of or relating to the river Styx river Styx and the infernal regions. infernal or hellish; dark or gloomy; inviolable; completely binding.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2235/2264601625_a288558e61.jpg

The enigmatic oath she had taken (to that mystery cult of old), was as stygian as the dark pipe organ and walls of its cathedrals.

Nathan

Logio
January 16th, 2010, 11:54 PM
jejune

1. Not interesting; dull: "and there pour forth jejune words and useless empty phrases" (Anthony Trollope).
2. Lacking maturity; childish: surprised by their jejune responses to our problems.
3. Lacking in nutrition: a jejune diet.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:DbAPkosgy31DfM%3Ahttp://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/ericaberghan/ist2_344071_mean_old_lady.jpg

When grandmother walked out of Angela's play, Angela's mother comforted her saying, "Your grandmother is a sophisticated, cosmolite. She tries to be good, but thinks these events to be jejune affairs.

Narnia
January 18th, 2010, 05:18 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mo2zPuG158w/SS3dSYtTuVI/AAAAAAAAANI/QoU1oF2xIaE/s400/lonely-1.jpg

A cool moist breeze caressed her tear stained cheek,
slowly opening her eyes she saw the reflection of her heart,
in a stygian filled sky.

Narnia
January 18th, 2010, 05:40 PM
http://cyn.serialexperiments.org/Senecal/JeJune_2.jpg

Her desire is to be a professional artist
(regarded with respect is her ultimate dream),
despite her efforts she continually sabotages her career
by being jejune in her approach.

Logio
January 19th, 2010, 12:44 AM
http://cyn.serialexperiments.org/Senecal/JeJune_2.jpg

Her desire is to be a professional artist
(regarded with respect is her ultimate dream),
despite her efforts she continually sabotages her career
by being jejune in her approach.

Polly, that's is an awesome painting; did you work it on such short notice?

I like your art. I hope you aren't making an allusion to yourself. It does go wiithout saying (then why am I saying it!) that sometimes one must become bold as an arist, to grasp the crowd's attention. This can go for writing as well. but different strokes (of paint) for different folks. :)

Nathan

p.s. I envy your writing style for stygian; I think you should consider writing as well and see how far it goes.

Narnia
January 19th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Polly, that's is an awesome painting; did you work it on such short notice?

No, this beautiful and strong piece is not mine ... I did a google image search to find the closest image that matched to the writing I came up with.

I too, like this piece very much ... did you notice the word 'jejune' in the piece as well!?

p.s. I envy your writing style for stygian; I think you should consider writing as well and see how far it goes.

Wow, really!?

Oh dear - somehow I fear it may come naturally to me - perhaps it is my own balance to being a naturally happy and positive person. ... :blink:

You know, I have noticed that 'my style' in this thread is rather stygian ... it seems the words you pick (which are all very good and challenging words to use) ... seem to steer me in that direction ... which is really bizarre to me ... so I think I may give it a go by using the ying and yang of the word(s) ... put it in both the positive and not so positive context. :)

Thank you dear Nathan for your compliments and your very encouraging words!! :two hearts:

Narnia
January 19th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I like your art.

Thank you Nathan!! :)

I hope you aren't making an allusion to yourself.

Hm? ... well, yes and no ... it is more like a refracted allusion ....