PDA

View Full Version : MW Board Upgrades

Mr B
November 13th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I have noticed that some nice stuff has been activated and added. Since i don't see a thread around here i thought i open one for Gods Toy so that he can explain in this topic what the "upgrades" are about and how they work.

If it's no good idea just say so. :D

Feel like Neo now from the Matrix: "Hmmmm.... Upgrades....."

God's Toy
November 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Hi,

yep I suppose it's a good idea to start a thread...
Only thing I would say is, some of this stuff is still in testing and if too many bugs are found some may be killed.

when I get home i'll give you the low down on those little green dots that popped up last night.

unles you already know and want to save me the post!

posting from my pda is slow at best.

Mr B
November 13th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Cool, just let us know what it's all about. I find it very interesting. :)

Maybe i should change the topic title into "MW Board upgrades, testing and bug reports" because i think i found another little bug.

If you are looking who's online you can see what the members are doing. I have noticed that sometimes it shows for example: "God's Toy viewing thread Smilies" and another moment it shows "God's Toy viewing thread" without the threads title.

God's Toy
November 13th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Nope that's not a bug as such, that is a user permissions thing, maybe I was posting in a thread that is not meant for member viewing EG, mod talk

For your info: Guests can not see who is on line (or all forums for members posting) Members can see all regular forums, members can also see other members who are on line but only those who agree to be seen. ('Invisibility' for those who don't), Mods can see more detailed info like IP's on each member and so on. Admins see everything, every address followed and/or whereabouts of everyone. (even invisible members)

Mr B
November 13th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Ah, thanks for the information, now it's more clear to me.

God's Toy
November 13th, 2008, 06:55 PM
And here is the list of banned words.

**** ******* ****** **** ***l**** **** ***** ************ ******** ********* ********** ******* ****-*** ***** ******** ******* ******** ******** ******

Mr B
November 13th, 2008, 07:12 PM

**** ******* ****** **** ***l**** **** ***** ************ ******** ********* ********** ******* ****-*** ***** ******** ******* ******** ******** ******

:blink: :laugh: Okay, got it.:good

Mr B
November 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Ah... And what about those little green dots?

God's Toy
November 13th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Ah those guys,

Well OK what they are for is showing 'appreciation', A way for you to say 'Thanks' to a member for a really good post or thread.

All you do is click the Scales icon on the right and (if you like) add your private comment for that member to read.

You can view the Appreciation that you have received in your User CP (http://www.mysteriouswisdom.com/forum/usercp.php) (User Control Panel) where it is displayed at the bottom of the User CP page. Here you will see the latest Appreciation that you have received.

The new little green dot you see is your starting rep icon, the more positive appreciation points you receive, the more icons will be shown here.

Also things like being a member for X amount of time or having X amount of posts all build up your 'appreciation' giving powers, this is called Rep-power.
So lets say a year from now you have 200 ' 'Appreciation points' built up, now when you give points you give more per time.

This leads to positive postings and member rewards down the line.

You where the first person to receive some 'points' yesterday for your Full Moon song, my way of saying Thanks!

This is still in testing BUT please everyone feel free to use it so we can see how it's working out! Also remember it's meant for rally good threads and posts your saying 'thanks' for, not for every post you read and like!

Mr B
November 13th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Okay, now that's a really cool feature. Thank you again for the information Peter and of course for the Appreciation points you gave me. I just checked it out. Let's hope that this feature stays if it doesn't show bugs.

I'll keep, as the rest of our friends, an eye open to see if we're running into some other bugs and provide you with feedback. :)

God's Toy
November 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Hey, how about 'showing me some love' with some points for posting all this!!!

No really, I want to make sure it's working my end.

:drinks

Mr B
November 13th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Alright, I just gave you "some love". :D I hope you recieved the points. :)

God's Toy
November 13th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Woohoo I got points!

Oh and hold your mouse over the Green icons to see a note on how your doing points wise.

Well it's working and that's a good thing.

Anyone need help?

Let me know, also please test it out!!!

:laugh:

Mr B
November 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM
lol.... That's great!!! This is rather fun you know. :bounce:

I have never been posting away that much on a forum before in a couple of days. This means you are doing a really excellent job here my friend. :worship :drinks

God's Toy
November 13th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Woohoo!

:clap Yey for me! :clap

Ha!

Stargazer
November 14th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Hi Peter i've got an idea :ohyea:........How about having a "Thought For The Day" column where any member can post a thought ,once it has been posted it stays for a day and the next day the column is open for posting any other member or the same member who posted earlier can post yet another thought......the member's name should be displayed under the column and if other member's like it they can show there appreciation via the visitor's message option :good.......It would be good to see it just under the MW at the top of the page.

God's Toy
November 14th, 2008, 06:26 AM
It's an idea for sure but it's a lot of work to do when the same thing could be achieved by a simple thread called 'Thought For The Day' where it's posted in once per day.

Thanks for the idea!

:good

Stargazer
November 14th, 2008, 06:37 AM
It's an idea for sure but it's a lot of work to do when the same thing could be achieved by a simple thread called 'Thought For The Day' where it's posted in once per day.

Thanks for the idea!

Thanks for appreciating my idea but i still feel it would be good if it was like that rather than in a thread.....well may be not for now but after all these bugs and stuff are sorted out.....:thanks:

P.S i couldn't find the you rock smiley or it isn't there?:blink:

God's Toy
November 14th, 2008, 06:39 AM
hmm you know I dont think we have one... must get that little guy.

:hello:

Rana
November 14th, 2008, 07:39 AM
hi ..be patient with me ..where on my page do i access the appreciation points if i want to offer them ? also im finding im needing to refresh the pages each time i enter a new forum otherwise it doesnt update new posts, and when i try and post a message to a friend i have to refresh the page each time or i get the error message " you dont have a token on this page " or something like it and i have to click "back" and re type my message .. thanks xx

little bird
November 14th, 2008, 08:54 AM
hi ..be patient with me ..where on my page do i access the appreciation points if i want to offer them ? also im finding im needing to refresh the pages each time i enter a new forum otherwise it doesnt update new posts, and when i try and post a message to a friend i have to refresh the page each time or i get the error message " you dont have a token on this page " or something like it and i have to click "back" and re type my message .. thanks xx

Try clearing your browser cache and cookies. If you have one, try posting in a different browser (Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer). I reckon there's something in your cache that's forcing the page to not update without a refresh.

Hope that helps

Stargazer
November 14th, 2008, 12:55 PM
and peter who has the access to our PM's ? Admin,mods ?.....

God's Toy
November 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM
No one does, the software does not come with tools that let any user ( member,mod, admin) or Hosts get into any account or read anything said in a PM or email sent from the message board. However as this is a computer program one can never say you can be 100% sure someone wont find a way around this, that's what we call computer hackers.

Stargazer
November 14th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Thank You......so it is a Private Message as Private as it should be......but it comes with a price, oh yeah one cannot be 100% sure of anything ;)

God's Toy
November 14th, 2008, 01:31 PM
As Private as it CAN be I think is more fitting.

Some message boards admins/webmasters/owners use free forum software with old hacked to bits code slapped together and pass it off as the next big thing... Now there is a place I would not be sending pm's from. vB is the best forum software you can get and it is not free to own, use or update, but you get what you pay for.

If you would like a link to where you can try the vB board software out for yourself (poke about in the admin settings so you can see for yourself) I'd be happy to post one

Regards,

Stargazer
November 14th, 2008, 01:42 PM
As Private as it CAN be I think is more fitting.

If you would like a link to where you can try the vB board software out for yourself (poke about in the admin settings so you can see for yourself) I'd be happy to post a link

Man my vocabulary is poor ,sometimes i can't put into words what i actually mean.......and what's that link? i am eager to try it :)

God's Toy
November 14th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Here you go:

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

God's Toy
November 14th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Yep I would suggest what LB said.

To show appreciation, click the Scales icon (this guy) http://www.mysteriouswisdom.com/forum/images/buttons/reputation.gif (http://www.mysteriouswisdom.com/forum/reputation.php?p=726) on the right of that post

Mr B
November 14th, 2008, 02:22 PM

You can only offer/give appreciation points in a thread and not through your own little page here on MW. :) So if you like a post in a thread and you want to give a memeber points for that look in the upper right corner of the post of that member, here you see the number of that post say for example #24, next to it there is a Scales icon and next to that again is the Triangular "Report Post" icon.

Just click on the Scales icon and a little window will pop up saying "I approve" and you can write a little comment for that member to whom you give the points. After that press "Add to Reputation". That's all.

The member who recieved the appreciation points must go to his or her "User CP" to look how many points he/she recieved up to now.

I hope i was a bit helpful and hope that you understand it now a bit. :)

Warm regards,

Maik

Mr B
November 14th, 2008, 02:23 PM
:blink: Sorry Peter, you were faster with the reply. :pilot:

God's Toy
November 14th, 2008, 02:25 PM
it's all good! More info means better understanding.

Narnia
November 14th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Watch out...I am going to start giving everyone appreciation points!!! he-he!! :clap *everyone here is just too cool!*

Peter, you are doing a fab-o job as usual!!

Mr B
November 14th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Hehehehe, nice one Sphinx. Just a little reminder, if i am correct you can only give a member appreciation points once.

Mr B
November 14th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Correction, you can give members more appreciation points but first you need to build up your reputation a little further before you can do so. :pilot:

This feature is great.:good :drinks

God's Toy
November 14th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Just remember it's still in testing so you may get bugs along the way.

Mr B
November 14th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I was just going through the members list and i noticed that i'm not between the members anymore. So i can't see myself in the list???? :blink: How is that possible?:blink:

Mr B
November 14th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Testing... Testing 123...

Mr B
November 14th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Alright, it works again and i'm back on the member list.

God's Toy
November 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Yea sorry about that, setting new P-mods up can be tricky!

:Hbounce

Mr B
November 14th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Yea sorry about that, setting new P-mods up can be tricky!

Nah, those things can happen my friend. I'm glad it's sorted now and that i can post away again. :D :drinks

Rana
November 18th, 2008, 12:25 PM
thanks for the info guys ..and i agree polly im going be zapping points left right and center ..:pilot:

Genesis
November 23rd, 2008, 05:33 AM

Good to know! Thanks :D

God's Toy
January 10th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Hey everybody, just a quick update on today's news. Some of you may have noticed that mysteriouswisdom.com has been upgraded today http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif (January 10th, 2009,)

Here is the run down of some of the changes made.

Private Message Changes

Read receipts are automatically accepted when a PM is replied to.
A new Quick Reply can be used to reply to PM's.
A new user option is available to set the default value for 'Save Copy' which is also used with Quick Reply.
PM's can be ordered by Title, Date and Sender.
When ordered, PM's are grouped by:

Title - Alphabetical ranges (A-H, I-P, Q-Z, 0-9 and other)
Date - Today, Yesterday, individual day names, Last Week, 2 Weeks, Last Month, Older, etc.
Sender - Grouped by Sender

Private Messages can be filtered by Sender, Title, a given date period, and whether the message has been read or not.
Message selections are remembered over multiple pages for bulk actions (Move, delete, mark as read etc).

Profile Privacy

Members can now configure which parts of their profile is visible, and to who. The configurable components are:

Profile Picture
Visitor Messages
Contact Info
Albums
About Me
Friends
Recent Visitors
Group Memberships

The components can be configured to be visible to:

Everyone
Registered Members
Contacts
Friends

Lightbox

Lightboxes can now be used to view all images in a post.
Next and Previous buttons can be used to navigate the attachments, and wrap when the first/last image has been reached

Social Group Changes.

Social Groups can be subscribed to, adding group aggregation to the User CP.
Social Groups now belong to a category.
A new overview page displays a random group, your groups, new groups and groups that you created.
A category cloud is displayed in the group overview with popularity weighting based on the number of groups.
Groups can be filtered by category, via the category cloud or advanced search.
Social Groups can now have a group icon. The icon is displayed in the group info, and a thumbnail version is used in group listings.
Icons are displayed on the User Profile page for groups that the user is a member of.
Social Groups can now be transferred between users. The group will only be transferred if the recipient accepts the transfer.
Moderators with the appropriate permission can transfer any group. This is useful when a group owner becomes inactive.

Other Changes and Additions.

Thread tags can now be merged and renamed, and threads are updated to reflect the changes.
A new Terms and Conditions link is configurable and displayed in the footer by default.
A New Items submenu is also available with the newest Visitor Messages; Group Messages; Group Discussions and Album Pictures.
Username availability now checked via AJAX during registration
Notices can now be configured to be dismissible, allowing users to close notices that they have read.
PM Reporting. (Members can now report PM's they received, like Spam)
Subscription folders can be emptied with one click.
Quick Edit is available for Visitor Messages/Comments, as well as Social Group Messages.

If you need any further explanation of any of the features, ask away below.

SoulChild
January 11th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Great job Peter! I know, right now, everything is running fast and smooth....:thanks: YOU ROCK!!!... it was going sort of slow before...:gathering: Now, I can post more :Hbounce

Kiran
January 11th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Good work Peter and Maik for explaining things so clearly :) Thanks Peter for working out the bugs/upgrades etc....love on the way but hey, don't forget to share some yourself!!! lol

Stargazer
January 11th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Wow Peter thanks for the updates :hi:...seems to be a lot of work,once again thanks for making our place better :thanks:

Genesis
January 11th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Peter, great job with all this!

Kiran
January 12th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Today and yesterday I had trouble logging in and staying logged in. I don't know whats happening but I'll be logged in and then try to change the page or go to my profile etc and it wont access it for me.
I don't know if this is my computer or if its due to the upgrades....can you help?
Thanks

God's Toy
January 12th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hey.

Nope its not your computer or the boards updates. its our hosts having some problems with the server we are on.
To date the board has been off-line a few times with this same error. like just yesterday , it was up and down every 30 mins.
we just have to put up with this in the short term until they solve the erros or i'll be moving mw onto a new servers or even new hosts.

patrik.
January 12th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Nice work Peter! Yay!

Kiran
January 13th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Hey.

Nope its not your computer or the boards updates. its our hosts having some problems with the server we are on.
To date the board has been off-line a few times with this same error. like just yesterday , it was up and down every 30 mins.
we just have to put up with this in the short term until they solve the erros or i'll be moving mw onto a new servers or even new hosts.

Ok...thanks honey :)

Mr B
January 13th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Cool!!!! Thanks Peter for making this thread a "sticky" one.

Again i feel like Neo from The Matrix: "....... Upgrades....."

Looking at the list of updates, i need to run through them again.

God's Toy
January 13th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I will unstick the thread in a few days and re stick it only when next round of updates are ready to be added to the live forum.

Thanks guys!

Narnia
January 13th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hey Peter, thank you for all your fine efforts (please forgive my delay and thanking you), and as usual you're always making sure MW is the best place to be and is running smoothly...I haven't encountered any bugs yet with the new up-grade, but if I do I'll be sure to report them here! :)

Who-ray, ol' chap and a slap on the back to you! :girl_yes3 (1):

:thanks: :Hbounce :signsHF:

God's Toy
March 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Just a note to say you can now add your ID's for Twitter, Myspace, Facebook and 'how did you find us' info to your profile by editing your profile (or clicking here: Edit Your Details (http://mysteriouswisdom.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile))

Stargazer
April 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM
:Boy_yes3: Thanks for this :Boy_yes3: Peter :Boy_yes3: