PDA

View Full Version : Music Quiz

BlueStar
August 2nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Found this and thought it would be fun. Copy and paste with your own answers :)

I like things like this because they make you think and reminisce. K....

1. A song from the year you graduated high school That's a tough one, cos I can think of so many. I guess the one that really sticks out from 1997 was 'Candle in the Wind' by Elton John.

2.A song that reminds you of your first relationship That's a tough one. I'm gonna go with 'My Favourite Game' by the Cardigans. I listened to that over and over again as I pined away...Another one that deserves special mention is 'You'll See', the most underrated song ever released by Madonna and one of the most poignant.

3. A song that lasts one minute or less First one that comes to mind is 'Third of Its Kind' from Enigma's greatest album 'Le Roi Est Mort, VIVE Le Roi!" It lasts an epic 19 seconds - yet iTunes will still charge you a full 79p for it!

4. A b-side or non-album track I'm scrolling through iTunes and the first one I've found is 'Random Blinking Light' by Darren Hayes. Love that one, especially after seeing him perform it live last year.

5. The best song from a favorite band’s worst album TOUGH one...My favourite bands don't release bad albums! I really can't answer that one just now, may have to come back to it.

6. A live version of a song you think is better than the “original” studio track 'Fear' by Sarah McLachlan. I rediscovered that gem just recently. The album version is great, but it's more muted than the powerful live performance she did of it in her Mirrorball tour - which gives me goosebumps. Quite a few of Sarah's live versions are superior to the album versions; they seem to have greater energy and passion when sung live.

7. A favorite song from a genre or style you usually don’t like OK, I normally hate rap and hip hop, but 'Beat Goes On' from Madonna's last album kind of rocks and ought to have been released as a single. I can even overlook the obnoxious Kanye West rap. It's just cool.

8. A song from a place where English is not the primary language or a song in a language you don’t speak Just been listening to 'Deep Forest' by Deep Forest, which mixed pygmy tribal chants with 90s dance beats. Its still kinda cool. I'll go with 'Sweet Lullaby'.

9. A song with “sun” in the title / a song that makes you think of summer 'Low Sun' by Chicane

10. An old song that you only heard for the first time this year 'Cloudbusting' by Kate Bush

11. A song from the last CD you bought 'Sunshine in Rain' by Balligomingo from their new album Under An Endless Sky. Very upbeat, catchy song.

12. A song whose title is a question 'Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?' by Moby

13. A cover you like more than the original I loved Sandra's cover of 'Such a Shame' and prefer it to the original.

14. If your life was a TV show, this song would be the theme song Oh Lord I have no idea. Probably something obscure and beautiful and different; like 'Beyond the Invisible' by Enigma. Yeah, I could settle for that one, sums me and "my life" pretty well.

15. A sexy song Sticking with the Enigma theme; 'Principles of Lust' (Everlasting Lust Mix). It's scorching hot.

16. A song without words I have so, so many to choose from. I'm gonna just pick one: 'La Petite Fille de la Mer' by Vangelis. So so beautiful.

17. A song where the artist has your name or your name is in the title Ha. If you know of an artist called Rory or a song with Rory in the title, let me know pronto!

18. A song by the first or most recent artist you paid to see in concert 'Like A Prayer' by Madonna. Went to see her last year and, wow!

19. A song that makes you cry I've thought of one: during a very low time in my life I heard 'You Can Still Be Free' by Savage Garden and I listened to it over and over again, crying bucketloads. Go find it on youtube now, it's so beautiful, heartbreaking yet filled with hope. It was an anthem & it helped me turn my life around.

20. A 7th song from a CD you like The album I've been most obsessed with this year has been 'Two Suns' by Bat For Lashes, I've been thoroughly addicted. The seventh track is the fantastico 'Pearl's Dream'.
Well, I never thought I'd get through that list, but I did. Your turn!

Genesis
August 3rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
I tried taking this quiz the other night and my dumb laptop got too hot and shut off on me. So I will attempt to try it again.

You know me, I love self indulgent quizes, especially if it means I can impose my musical taste on the masses.

-Gen

Genesis
August 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
1. A song from the year you graduated high school
Outkast was huge. "Heyya" was the term for summer of 03'. Of course, I said it a long time before that...

2.A song that reminds you of your first relationship
This is simple, and montheistic for me: One Brief Moment - Natacha Atlas.

3. A song that lasts one minute or less First one that comes to mind
Interlude - Matisyahu from 04's "Shake Off the Dust...Arise. I just love Matisyahu.

4. A b-side or non-album track
I always remembered loving Walk of Life by the Spice Girls. Its very unusual from their music taste, and quite good.

5. The best song from a favorite band’s worst album
Heh, I like twisty questions as the above. For me, it would have to be Look of Today from Voyageur.

6. A live version of a song you think is better than the “original” studio
After seeing Fleedwood Mac live in April, it's Big Love all the way. Love LOVE Lindsay's accoustic guitar on that song. He makes the strings sing glorious things...

7. A favorite song from a genre or style you usually don’t like
American Idol's David Cook put out a really nice song called "Come Back to Me." I'm not into the whole grunge-alternative scene, but this quite good too.

8. A song from a place where English is not the primary language or a song in a language you don’t speak
Heh, thats about 65% of my music collection. I'd have to go with Maisha from Idan Raichel Project at present. I love Idan Raichel. And I love Maisha. You all should go listen to it. Right now.

9. A song with “sun” in the title
Sunset - Kate Bush. Also brilliant. Go listen. Now.

10. An old song that you only heard for the first time this year
Not sure if discovered this last year this year, but it would be Lost in the Flood by Bruce Springsteen. Amazing song.

11. A song from the last CD you bought .
Maisha. Idan Raichel. Its one of the last, I cant remember the last last.

12. A song whose title is a question
Probably the most revelant question ever asked by thinking individuals. "Why?"

13. A cover you like more than the original
American Idol's Adam Lambert did a Middle Eastern cover of Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire. Flames and fireworks. It was brilliant.

14. If your life was a TV show
Special Cases - Massive Attack. Yeah, you know I am.

15. A sexy song
Barra Barra - Rachid Taha. Something about the Rough and Gruff Arabic delivery that gets me everytime.

16. A song without words
Moonlight Sonata - Beehtoven. Superb.

17. A song where the artist has your name or your name is in the title
Oh god where do I begin? I got a band named after me (they were awesome with Gabriel fronted them), and numerous songs and other titles in my honour. Of course, the one song from VNV Nation comes to me - and also a song they dedicated to at one of their concerts -"This goes out to Genesis Pierce from Tampa Florida!" (I kid you not)

18. A song by the first or most recent artist you paid to see in concert
The Chain - Fleetwood Mac

19. A song that makes you cry
My Immortal - Evenescence. It always reminds me of someone dying of cancer for some reason...

20. A 7th song from a CD you like
And the Winner goes to....Between a Man and a Woman from Kate Bush's "The Sensual World."

Thanks for this Rory! Was fun :)

Logio
August 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
I'm too lazy to answer all the questions; so I will just answer the first one:

1. A song from the year you graduated high school?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/colochos4/HEROES/Madonna-Vogue.jpg

'Vogue' 1990

Rana
August 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Martika Toy Soldier (i think it was that year)

Boyz to Men end of the road

3. A song that lasts one minute or less

MC Hammer cant touch this

6. A live version of a song you think is better than the “original” studio track

Bon Jovi wanted dead or alive (concert vid clip)

Black Sabbath (i think) run to the hills

8. A song from a place where English is not the primary language or a song in a language you don’t speak

Andre Boccelli ..

9. A song with “sun” in the title

following the sun ..Enigma

thats rare for me ..ive heard many ..

11. A song from the last CD you bought

PINK dont leave me

Bob Marley could you be loved

Gabriel did a cover of Bryan Adams song "heaven"

14. If your life was a TV show, this song would be the theme song

without a doubt my all time fav song by BOB .."ONE LOVE " ..thats for me
15. A sexy song

ive always found sadeness by Enigma sexy
16. A song without words

Pink Floyd ..Momentary Lapse of reason ..mm..mm

17. A song where the artist has your name or your name is in the title Ha.

hmmm havent found a Rana song yet

Crowded House "into temptation"

Jimmy Cliff many rivers to cross

Faith No More .Zombie eaters

thanks ..for this what a trip down memory lane ..

Kiran
August 4th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Bohemian Rhapsody jumped out when I thought about this one! Original version back in '75!!

Hmm...toughie here! Has to be the Police and Roxanne. Enough said!

3. A song that lasts one minute or less
Can't think of any.

Hmm..Sebastian Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel

Hmm...can't think of any

6. A live version of a song you think is better than the “original” studio track
I have to say most songs by Il Divo. Have seen them live three times now and the CD's don't do thier voices justice!!

Eminem's last single

Hmm...can't think of one

9. A song with “sun” in the title / a song that makes you think of summer
Here comes the Summer Sun by Texas

None really

11. A song from the last CD you bought
Your love is My Love - Whitney houston

Who let the dogs out??

14. If your life was a TV show, this song would be the theme song
Happy Days theme song!! lol

15. A sexy song
J'taime

16. A song without words
Secret Garden - any selection

17. A song where the artist has your name or your name is in the title
Two come to mind - Oh Lori by Alessi and Sweet Lorraine by Nat King Cole

Cool for Cats - Squeeze

Hmm...Against all Odds by Phil Collins for many various reasons

Hmm...am in work so can't look them up right now.

BlueStar
August 4th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Coool thanks for answering peeps! It's actually quite nice to see what a variety of musical interests you guys have :) These things always get ya thinking as well.

Mr. Brightside
August 4th, 2009, 07:29 PM
1. A song from the year you graduated high school - Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

2.A song that reminds you of your first relationship - True - Spandau Ballet

3. A song that lasts one minute or less - Elizabeth My Dear - The Stone Roses

4. A b-side or non-album track - Sunday Morning - James

5. The best song from a favorite band’s worst album - Staring at the Sun - U2

6. A live version of a song you think is better than the “original” studio track - Were the streets have no name - U2

7. A favorite song from a genre or style you usually don’t like - I Believe I Can Fly - R Kelly

8. A song from a place where English is not the primary language or a song in a language you don’t speak - Yeha-Noha (Wishes of Happiness & Prosperity - Sacred spirit

9. A song with “sun” in the title / a song that makes you think of summer -The Sun Rising - The Beloved

10. An old song that you only heard for the first time this year - Journey from A to B - Badly Drawn Boy

11. A song from the last CD you bought - Miracle - Oceanlab

12. A song whose title is a question - Who do you love now - Danni Minougue

13. A cover you like more than the original - Born to Run - Frankie goes to hollywood (who said nobody can cover springsteen)

14. If your life was a TV show, this song would be the theme song - All along the watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

15. A sexy song - French Kiss - Lil Louie

16. A song without words - Halcyon - Chicane

17. A song where the artist has your name or your name is in the title - None I can think of

18. A song by the first or most recent artist you paid to see in concert - Ashes - Embrace

19. A song that makes you cry - In the ghetto - Elvis

20. A 7th song from a CD you like - Last Night on Earth - Green day

Phew that took some doing ;)