PDA

View Full Version : The Riddles Of The Sphinx

Lion Spirit Walker
July 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I thought I would initiate this thread so that we may engage in a bit of trival pursuit based in mythology.
An individual member asks a question base in any of the many mythologies. And the person who correctly answers the question then post the next question, and so on.
Let's see how well we all know world mythologies, shall we?
I shall ask the first question.
What was considered by Zues to be the most perfect creature in all creation, and was the product of the coupling between Posiden and Medusa (before she was turn into a gorgon by Hera)???
I'll return to check answers daily, as we all should when you post a question.

Kiran
July 19th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Hmm...I like this thread!! I think it was Pegasus?

Narnia
July 19th, 2009, 12:30 PM
At the death of Medusa two creatures came into life when her blood mingled with the seafoam - the winged horse(s). Pegasus and Chrysoar the gaint winged horse.

Nice thread Michael! :)

Rana
July 21st, 2009, 03:56 AM
i havent glanced upon this story since i was child. i remember seeing a movie "The Clash of the titans" which is mainly about this story and a great movie. poor Medusa ,isnt it the way with many stories and Myths when she was punished because she was raped by Zues ,she was the victim to the jelous lover who had her unfairly slayed. . . and she is only remembered by the state she transformed herself into so to protect herself . . Pegasus appears to be the answer unless he adored more his other child by Medusa (Chrysaor).
this goes perfectly with a book i am reading about how many stories that were either created or changed to depict women in only a certain way, and ones that are reflective of their true natures from the earth,powerful unto themsleves (not in relation to their status in relation to their husband or father etc) .

Lion Spirit Walker
July 21st, 2009, 05:00 AM
Well done. :)
Each of you are correct in that it was the winged horses. But since Crystallorri was first to answer, she now get to ask the riddle of mythologies.

Kiran
July 21st, 2009, 08:40 AM
What was it about Kwan Yin in her earthly form that made her a divine being?

Kiran
May 6th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Hehehehe looking back over these older threads reminded me how my question killed this one in its tracks!!! Oh well...back to the drawing board!!! :wink.1::girl_yes3 (1):

Narnia
May 6th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Cool!!! :D

It's so much fun to dig around in the threads of this place .... actually been wanting to do some rumaging around the forum myself! :girl_yes3 (1):

Lion Spirit Walker
May 7th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Right on you two. I had forgotten about this one. LOL. Should dig through the archives more often.
'What walks upon four legs in the morning, two legs at midday, and three in the evening?' LOLLOL. Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of mythology. ;)

Ryan
May 8th, 2011, 11:53 PM
A human being. An infant (morning) crawls on all fours; an adult (afternoon) walks on two legs, and elders (evening) use a cane (a third leg) to get around more easily.

-Ryan :gandolf:

Lion Spirit Walker
May 9th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Right on Ryan. :)
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/GreekSphinx.jpg

Ryan
May 28th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Oh, was I supposed to continue the thread? lol

Ok, here's one:

Gefjon, a maiden in Frigga's court, was sent by Odin to the King of Sweden to demand some land that she may call her own. The king granted this, allowing her to claim a piece of land that she would be able to plough in one night. Surprisingly, she worked an enormous swath of land and drug it into the sea, leaving behind a lake. The question is, what is the island that was supposedly dragged into the sea by Gefjon and can you tell me the place from where it was taken (i.e. the lake that is now in its place)?

You may look up the answer if you'd like. I think this thread should be more of a discovery/learning experience. Looking up the answer is not only rewarding, but you may also stumble upon other wonderful myths in your search! Also, I wouldn't want to see this thread die just because we don't know the answer...again. :]

--Ryan :gandolf:

Kiran
May 28th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Wow what a story Ryan!! In looking up the answer I learned a new story :) Thank you honey :)

Anyway....back to the questions....the Lake is Malaren in Sweden and the island is Zealand in Denmark.

As a side note - I guess I had better go answer the question I set previously about Kwan Yin unless someone wants to go for it??!! lollol

Narnia
May 28th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Oh ... that is a cool story Ryan ... don't you think it would make for an interesting fantasy film? :D

Maybe the film could be called 'The Lady of the Floating Island'

Ryan
May 29th, 2011, 04:00 PM
To answer your question, Kiran, was it her compassion? In reading one of the stories of her origins, that seems to be the underlying theme.

Yes, Narnia, that could make for an interesting Fantasy film. Rather, "The Island of the Maiden" perhaps? :]

Kiran
May 29th, 2011, 07:46 PM
To answer your question, Kiran, was it her compassion? In reading one of the stories of her origins, that seems to be the underlying theme.

Yes Ryan it was....that and the fact that she was tortured for wanting to help those less fortunate then she was herself. Well done :)

Ryan
June 1st, 2011, 09:16 PM
:]

Ok, here's one. Two questions:
1.) why did the northern men refer to echoes as "dwarf-talk"?
2.) How were dwarves able to practice dwarf-talk without being seen?

Kiran
June 1st, 2011, 09:35 PM
The Tarnkappe would mischievously repeat the last words of conversations overheard from such hiding-places. Owing to this well-known trick, the echoes were called dwarfs’ talk, and people fancied that the reason why the makers of such sounds were never seen was because each dwarf was the proud possessor of a tiny red cap which made the wearer invisible.
These little beings could transport themselves with marvellous celerity from one place to another, and they loved to conceal themselves behind rocks.

Ryan
June 2nd, 2011, 03:12 AM
The Tarnkappe would mischievously repeat the last words of conversations overheard from such hiding-places. Owing to this well-known trick, the echoes were called dwarfs’ talk, and people fancied that the reason why the makers of such sounds were never seen was because each dwarf was the proud possessor of a tiny red cap which made the wearer invisible.
These little beings could transport themselves with marvellous celerity from one place to another, and they loved to conceal themselves behind rocks.

Yes!! :D

Kiran
June 2nd, 2011, 08:18 AM
That was a cool story Ryan!! I had never heard of them before!!

Lion Spirit Walker
June 15th, 2011, 12:29 AM
This is cool. Ty for sharing you two.