PDA

View Full Version : Aromatherapy

Kiran
November 13th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Note: This is a just an explanatory guide to Aromatherapy.

What is aromatherapy?

Aromatherapy is the use of essential oils to achieve physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health and balance.

These highly concentrated essential oils are extracted from various herbs and produced by steam distillation or cold pressing from a plant's flowers, leaves, branches, bark, rind or roots.

The oils are then mixed with a 'carrier' — usually a vegetable oil such as soy, evening primrose, almond or diluted in alcohol before being applied to the skin, sprayed in the air or inhaled.

Aromatherapists assign specific properties to each essence — for example, lavender is reputed to heal burns and relieve depression, inflammation, headaches, respiratory allergies, muscle aches and nausea, while peppermint is said to alleviate digestive problems; clean wounds, decongest the chest and relieve headache and muscle pain.

What can aromatherapy treat?

Whether aromatherapy has any significant effect on specific health disorders or not remains a matter for debate. However, aromatherapy can improve general well being. Our body’s response to the scented oils can help reduce stress, enhance relaxation and relieve anxiety.

Aromatherapy can help to relieve insomnia and alleviate the symptoms of cold and flu. There have also been claims that aromatherapy can treat impotence and ease the pain of arthritis.

What happens during an aromatherapy session?

The aromatherapist will work with you to develop a blend of essential oils (known as a 'synergy') that suits your needs.

The essential oils chosen will work well together aesthetically as well as addressing a particular complaint. If you complain of muscle ache, the aromatherapist may create a blend of oils to relieve muscle tension, as well as stimulate mental and emotional response to address the root causes.

The aromatherapist may massage the oils into the skin or use hot or cold compresses. You can also use essential oils at home — oil-containing compounds can be sprayed into the air, added to your bath or heated in an oil burner.

How many treatments will be necessary?

If the aromatherapy treatments seem to help, they can generally be continued as long as needed. However, if you sought aromatherapy for a specific health complaint and the symptoms continue, you should consult your doctor. Equally, if you develop an allergy to any of the products you are using, you should stop treatment immediately and seek medical advice.

Kiran
November 25th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Important Note: The information provided in the Oil Profiles area is for educational purposes only. This data is not considered complete and is not guaranteed to be accurate.

General Safety Information: Do not take any oils internally without consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin. If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Use extreme caution when using oils with children and give children only the gentlest oils at extremely low doses. It is safest to consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children. A skin patch test should be conducted prior to using an oil that you've never used before.

These oils can be used either in massage or in an oil burner which will also release the therapeutic properties of the oil.

Anger
Bergamot, Jasmine, Neroli, Orange, Patchouli, Petitgrain, Roman Chamomile, Rose, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang

Anxiety
Bergamot, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Geranium, Lavender, Mandarin, Neroli, Patchouli, Roman Chamomile, Rose, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Confidence
Bay Laurel, Bergamot, Cypress, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Orange, Rosemary

Depression
Bergamot, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Geranium, Grapefruit, Helichrysum, Jasmine, Lavender, Lemon, Mandarin, Neroli, Orange, Roman Chamomile, Rose, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang

Fatigue, Exhaustion and Burnout
Basil, Bergamot, Black Pepper, Clary Sage, Cypress, Frankincense, Ginger, Grapefruit, Helichrysum, Jasmine, Lemon, Patchouli, Peppermint, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Fear
Bergamot, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lemon, Neroli, Orange, Roman Chamomile Sandalwood, Vetiver

Grief
Cypress, Frankincense, Helichrysum, Neroli, Rose, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Happiness and Peace
Bergamot, Frankincense, Geranium, Grapefruit, Lemon, Neroli, Orange, Rose, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang

Insecurity
Bergamot, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Irritability
Lavender, Mandarin, Neroli, Roman Chamomile, Sandalwood

Loneliness
Bergamot, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Helichrysum, Roman Chamomile, Rose

Memory and Concentration
Basil, Black Pepper, Cypress, Hyssop, Lemon, Peppermint, Rosemary

Panic and Panic Attacks
Frankincense, Helichrysum, Lavender, Neroli, Rose

Stress
Benzoin, Bergamot, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Geranium, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lavender, Mandarin, Neroli, Patchouli, Roman Chamomile, Rose, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang

Important Note: The information provided in the Oil Profiles area is for educational purposes only. This data is not considered complete and is not guaranteed to be accurate.

General Safety Information: Do not take any oils internally without consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin. If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Use extreme caution when using oils with children and give children only the gentlest oils at extremely low doses. It is safest to consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children. A skin patch test should be conducted prior to using an oil that you've never used before.

Kiran
November 25th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Calm with Chamomile & Rose
Balance with Cypress and Geranium
Soothe with lavender and Vanilla
Meditate with Elemi and Myrrh
Sensuous with Ylang and Patchouli
Inspire with Frankincense and Bergamot
Purify with Juniper and Lemon
Relax with Clary Sage and Neroli
Clarify with Rosemary and Peppermint

Add 7-8 drops of oil to 1 oz of water and put into a fine mist sprayer. Shake gently and spray around the room/house.

Kiran
November 25th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Oils That Should Not Be Used At All In Aromatherapy
Almond, Bitter Prunus amygdalis, var. amara
Aniseed Pimpinella anisum
Arnica Arnica montana
Boldo Leaf Peumus boldus
Calamus Acorus calamus-acorus
Camphor Cinnamomum camphorus
Cassia Cinnamomum cassia
Cinnamon Bark Cinnamomum zeylanicum
Costus Saussurea lappa
Elecampane Inula helenium
Fennel (Bitter) Foeniculum vulgare
Horseradish Cochlearia armorica
Jaborandi Leaf Pilocarpus jaborandi
Mugwort (Armoise) Artemisia vulgaris
Mustard Brassica nigra
Origanum Origanum vulgare
Origanum (Spanish) Thymus capitatus
Pennyroyal (European) Mentha pulegium
Pennyroyal (N. American) Hedeoma pulegioides
Pine (Dwarf) Pinus pumilio
Rue Ruta graveolens
Sage Salvia officinalis
Sassafras Sassafras albidum
Sassafras (Brazilian) Ocotea cymbarum
Savin Juniperus sabina
Savory (Summer) Satureia hortensis
Savory (Winter) Satureia montana
Southernwood Artemisia abrotanum
Tansy Tanacetum vulgare
Thuja (Cedarleaf) Thuja ocddentalis
Thuja Plicata Thuja plicata
Wintergreen Gaultheria procumbens
Wormseed Chenopodium anthelminticum
Wormwood Artemisia absinthium

Kiran
November 25th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Clary Sage Salvia Sclarea
Properties
Warming, soothing, aphrodisiacal, anticonvulsive, antidepressant, antiphlogistic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, aphrodisiac, astringent, bactericidal, carminative, cicatrisant, deodorant, digestive, emmenagogue, hypotensive, nervine, regulator (or seborrhoea), tonic, uterine.

Uses
Menstrual problems, depression, anxiety, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, asthma, throat infections, whooping cough, colic, cramp, dyspepsia, flatulence, acne, boils, dandruff, hair loss, inflamed conditions in skin, oily skin and hair, ulcers, wrinkles, the genito-urinary system disorders such as amenorrhoea, labor pain, dysmenorrhoea, leucorrhoea and nervous system disorders such as frigidity, impotence, migraine, nervous tension and stress related disorders.

Eucalyptus
Eucalyptus Globulus
Properties
Antiseptic, analgesic, anitneuralgic, antirheumatic, antispasmodic, antiviral, balsamic, cicatrisant, decongestant, deodorant, depurative, diuretic, expectorant, febrifuge, hypoglycaemic, parasiticide, prophylactic, rubefacient, stimulant, vermifuge, vulnerary.
Uses
Muscular aches and pains, poor circulation, rheumatoid arthritis, sprains, asthma, bronchitis, catarrh, coughs, sinusitis, throat infections, cystitis, leucorrhoea, chicken pox, colds, epidemics, flu, measles, nervous system disorders such as debility, headaches, neuralgia and skin disorders such as burns, blisters, cuts, herpes, insect bites, insect repellent, lice, skin infections, wounds.

Kiran
November 25th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Geranium Pelargonium Graveolens
Properties
Soothing, refreshing, relaxing, antidepressant, astringent, antihaemorrhagic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, cicatrisant, deodorant, diuretic, fungicidal, haemostatic, stimulant, tonic, vulnerary.
Uses
PMT, adrenocortical glands and menopausal problems, nervous tension, neuralgia, apathy, anxiety, stress related conditions, sore throat, tonsillitis, cellulitis, engorgement of breasts, poor circulation and skin complaints such as acne, bruises, broken capillaries, burns, congested skin, cuts, dermatitis, eczema, hemorrhoids, lice, oily complexion, mature skin, mosquito repellant, ringworm, ulcers and wounds.

Jasmine Jasminum officinale
Properties
Analgesic (mild), antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antispasmodic, aphrodisiac, carminative, cicatrisant, expectorant, galactagogue, parturient, sedative, tonic (uterine).
Uses
Depression, nervous exhaustion and stress related conditions. Jasmine is said to produce a feeling of optimism, confidence and euphoria. It is especially good in cases of apathy, indifference, or listlessness. Jasmine is also used for catarrh, coughs, hoarseness, laryngitis, dysmenorrhoea, frigidity, labor pains, uterine disorders and other skin problems such as dry, greasy, irritated, sensitive skin and for muscular spasms and sprains.

Lavender Lavendula Vera Officinalis
Properties
Analgesic, anticonvulsive, antidepressant, antimicrobial, antirheumatic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antitoxic, carminative, cholagogue, choleretic, cicatrisant, cordial, cytophylactic, deodorant, diuretic, hypotensive, insecticide, nervine, rubefacient, sedative, stimulant, tonic, vulnerary.
Uses
An excellent first aid oil. It soothes cuts, bruises and insect bites. One of the most versatile therapeutic essence. It is used for nervous system disorders such as depression, headache, hypertension, insomnia, migraine, nervous tension, stress related conditions, PMT, sciatica, shock and vertigo. Lavender is useful in treating skin conditions such as abscesses, acne, allergies, athlete's foot, boils, bruises, burns, dandruff, dermatitis, earache, eczema, inflammations, insect bites and stings, insect repellant, lice, psoriasis, ringworm, scabies, sores, spots, all skin types, sunburn and wounds. Other applications of lavender is for the treatment of disorders such as lumbago, muscular aches and pains, rheumatism, sprains, asthma, bronchitis, halitosis, laryngitis, throat infections, whooping cough, abdominal cramps, colic, dyspepsia, flatulence, nausea, cystitis, dysmenorrhoea, leucorrhoea and for flu.

Kiran
November 25th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Lemon Citrus Limonum Warning: Do not use on bare healthy skin!Properties
Refreshing, antiseptic, stimulating, anti-anaemic, antimicrobial, antirheumatic, antisclerotic, antiscorbutic, antispasmodic, antitoxic, astringent, bactericidal, carminative, cicatrisant, depurative, diaphoretic, diuretic, febrifuge, haemostatic, hypotensive, insecticidal, rubefacient, stimulates white corpuscles, tonic.
Uses
Warts, depression, acne and indigestion. arthritis, cellulitis, high blood pressure, nosebleeds, obesity (congestion), poor circulation, rheumatism, asthma, throat infections, bronchitis, catarrh, dyspepsia, colds, flue, fever and infections. Other applications of lemon are in the treatment of anemia, brittle nails, boils, chilblains, corns, cuts, greasy skin, herpes, insect bites, mouth ulcers, spots, and varicose veins.

Peppermint Mentha Piperita Warning: Never take orally!Properties
Digestive, cooling, refreshing, mentally stimulating, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiseptic, antiviral, astringent, carminative, cephalic, cholagogue, cordial, expectorant, hepatic, nervine, stomachic, sudorific, vermifuge and antispasmodic.
Uses
Muscle fatigue, bad breath, toothache, bronchitis, indigestion and travel sickness, neuralgia, muscular pain, palpitations, asthma, sinusitis, spasmodic cough, for digestive system disorders such as colic, cramp, dyspepsia, flatulence, nausea and skin problems such as acne, dermatitis, ringworm, scabies and for toothache.

Kiran
November 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Petitgrain Citrus Aurantium var amara
Properties
Soothing, calming, antidepressant. Also antiseptic, antispasmodic, deodorant, digestive, nervine, stimulant (digestive, nervous), stomachic, tonic.
Uses
Skin problems, apathy, irritability and depression, convalescence, insomnia, nervous exhaustion, stress related conditions, dyspepsia, flatulence, acne, excessive perspiration, greasy skin and hair and for toning.

Rosemary Rosmarinus Officinalis
Properties
Analgesic, antimicrobial, antioxidant, antirheumatic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, aphrodisiac, astringent, carminative, choleretic, cordial, diaphoretic, digestive, diuretic, fungicidal, hepatic, hypertensive, nervine, parasiticide, restorative, rubefacient, stimulant of circulatory, adrenal cortex and hepatobiliary systems, stomachic, tonic.
Uses
Muscle fatigue, colds, poor circulation, aches and pains and mental fatigue. Debility, headaches, hypotension, neuralgia, mental fatigue, nervous exhaustion, stress related disorders, dysmenorrhoea, leucorrhoea, asthma, bronchitis, whooping cough, colitis, dyspepsia, flatulence, hepatic disorders, hypercholesterolaemia. Rosemary is also used for treatment of disorders such as arteriosclerosis, fluid retention, gout, muscular pains, palpitations, poor circulation, rheumatism and for the treatment of skin conditions such as acne, dandruff, dermatitis, eczema, and greasy hair. Other uses are as an insect repellent, for promoting hair growth, and for the treatment of scabies, scalp stimulation, lice and varicose veins.

Kiran
November 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Sandalwood Santalum album
Properties
antidepressant, antiphlogistic, antiseptic, aphrodisiac, astringent, antispasmodic, bactericidal, carminative, diuretic, expectorant, fungicidal, insecticidal, sedative and tonic.
Uses
Depression, insomnia, nervous tension, stress related complaints, cystitis, diarrhea, nausea, bronchitis, catarrh, coughs, laryngitis, sore throat, acne, dry, cracked and chapped skin, aftershave, greasy skin, moisturizer.

Tea tree Melaleuca Alternifolia
Properties
Antifungal, antiseptic, anti-infectuous, anit-inflammatory, antiviral, bactericidal, balsamic, cicatrisant, diaphoretic, expectorant, fungicidal, immono-stimulant, parasiticide, vulnerary.
Uses
Dandruff, mouthwash, cuts, insect bites, pimples, abscess, acne, athlete's foot, blisters, burns, cold sores, herpes, oily skin, rashes, spots, veruccae, warts, wounds, asthma, bronchitis, catarrh, coughs, sinusitis, tuberculosis, whooping cough, vaginitis, cystitis, colds, fever, flu, infectious illnesses such as chicken pox.

Kiran
November 25th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Ylang Ylang Cananga Odorata var. genuina
Properties
Antidepressant, anti-infectious, euphoric, aphrodisiac, relaxant, antiseborrhoeic, antiseptic, hypotensive, nervine, regulator, sedative (nervous), stimulant (circulatory), tonic.
Uses
Depression, nervous tension, high blood pressure, hyperpnoea (abnormally fast breathing), tachycardia, palpitations and digestive upsets. For skin care such as for acne, hair growth, hair rinse, insect bites, irritated and oily skin. For other nervous system disorders such as frigidity, impotence, insomnia, and stress related disorders.

Spirit~Sista
June 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM
i LOVE this topic.

i just love the oils!!!! cannot imagine my life without them to be honest. :)

i have used aromatherpy in my work, but mostly i use it in my personal life.

i am feeling inspired this morning by reading through your detailed posts here. i do have my aromatherapy certificates, only thing i didnt complete was the massage components.

i had a good collection of aromatherapy books that were my bibles but they have gone astray ( long story haaa)

have you ever made the soy wax melts? and tried them aswell with the oils? i purchased some and the first few times i used them they had a wonderful aroma, now i am left with a blob of wax with not much aroma. am thinking maybe making them at home is the way to go. it seems easy enough to do.

Spirit~Sista
June 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM
One of the best books i have come across.

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/34600000/34600057.JPG

Valeria Ann Worwood is a guru of aromatherapy.
here she gives us 600 oil recipes, for all different types of uses :)

Spirit~Sista
June 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM
i LOVE this book. it was the first aromatherapy book i had.

http://www.allwellbeing.com.au/Uploads/Images/awb101.jpg

here is one description.

The Fragrant Pharmacy opens the way to a whole world of fresh possibilities. It is a new approach to nature through one of it's most powerful forms - those fragrant "essential oils" drawn from flowers and grasses, trees and roots, leaves and fruit, that remain the great untapped resource of our planet. This book shows how each essential oil can offer many diverse benefits, alleviate symptoms, prevent many illnesses and disorders and help in their healing process. It also shows how oil can provide all of us - our families, homes and even pets, the protection and pleasures we need without the chemical pollution of our bodies or our environment. A complete guide to Aromatherapy and Essential Oils.

i wouldn 't be surprised if one of these land in my lap again now.

thank you so much ((((((((((((Crystallorri)))))))))) for the kick start this morning. i am going to go light my oil burner right now..((((hugs)))) peace and love.

Kiran
June 13th, 2009, 06:17 PM
i LOVE this book. it was the first aromatherapy book i had.

http://www.allwellbeing.com.au/Uploads/Images/awb101.jpg

here is one description.

The Fragrant Pharmacy opens the way to a whole world of fresh possibilities. It is a new approach to nature through one of it's most powerful forms - those fragrant "essential oils" drawn from flowers and grasses, trees and roots, leaves and fruit, that remain the great untapped resource of our planet. This book shows how each essential oil can offer many diverse benefits, alleviate symptoms, prevent many illnesses and disorders and help in their healing process. It also shows how oil can provide all of us - our families, homes and even pets, the protection and pleasures we need without the chemical pollution of our bodies or our environment. A complete guide to Aromatherapy and Essential Oils.

i wouldn 't be surprised if one of these land in my lap again now.

thank you so much ((((((((((((Crystallorri)))))))))) for the kick start this morning. i am going to go light my oil burner right now..((((hugs)))) peace and love.

Oh yes...this book is one of my favourites and is so battered and dogeared at this stage...I am nervous to use it too often now!!! lol
Glad to be of service my friend ;)

Rana
June 25th, 2009, 01:34 PM
and her other book "fragrant heavens " is awesome also i agree with you both they are great guides . i too am drawn to this kind of therapy .. my fav ylang ylang .:)

Kiran
June 25th, 2009, 02:06 PM
and her other book "fragrant heavens " is awesome also i agree with you both they are great guides . i too am drawn to this kind of therapy .. my fav ylang ylang .:)

Oh yes...I love ylangylang too...I also love Lavender....so healing and soothing....as is chamomile...oh heck!!! I just love 'em all!!! lol

Spirit~Sista
June 26th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Oh yes...I love ylangylang too...I also love Lavender....so healing and soothing....as is chamomile...oh heck!!! I just love 'em all!!! lol

i too love them all aswell.

they realy bring such a different element into my being. both in my home, car, work environment and through massage etc.....

although i have not been as active with the oils the last while..i am determined to change that, i have always had them in my home tho..:)

when i moved to Canada..i was very surprised to discover that electric atomisers are not that popular here. i had difficulty finding one.still am to be honest. i bought my aussie one with me...but the wattage is different of course and i am concerned about it with it heating up( this i have been told can be a problem when using those convertors.

when i was doing my aromatherapy training in Australia...there was a new range of essential oils coming out on the market. i was fortunate to get to sample some of them..and hmmm hmmm.what a delight.......you can check them out here....

http://www.ausflowers.com.au/cms/details.asp?NewsID=2

i haven't purchased any as yet......think i will explore that more tho..:)

enjoy..in love light and oils oils oils....:)

this is very similair to the electric oil burner i use in australia..:)

http://www.ozquilts.com.au/images/product_images/vap.jpg

Kiran
June 26th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Oh do try them!!! I bought the calm and clear cream and a few of the essences....they are absolutely fabulous!!!
Enjoy!!

Spirit~Sista
June 27th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Oh do try them!!! I bought the calm and clear cream and a few of the essences....they are absolutely fabulous!!!
Enjoy!!

lovely!! thank you for sharing..i certainly will order some...((( hugs))))

Rana
June 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
hi spirit sister ,do you live between Australia and Canada ? how exciting , we have a lovely couple in my town she is Canadian and he Aussie ,they have two girls and they both stay between both towns. (any way on the topic) we use the electric burner in the nursing home at the hospital ,it helps those with Dementia or related issues to stay calm and relaxed. My great Grandmother who was/is a tohunga used many extracts handed down, she healed my dad from shingles at a young age using the bark boiled of an old native NZ tree.. its in our natures as humans to do this.. it is retuning to many people again .

Kiran
October 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM
As we head into the winter season (here in the northern hemisphere at least) we tend to suffer coughs and colds and things that generally make us feel under the weather.
I have posted here a few basic remedies and oils that everyone can have at home and use safely enough although where there may be issues, I have posted those too. Never use oils orally or neat (undiluted) with the exception of Chamomile and Lavender!

Essential Care Kit
LAVENDER – Lavandula angustifolia
Lavender oil is one of the most well known scents and is vital to any first aid kit and mostly grown in France. Its main uses are:
soothing burns, insect bites, sore skins; easing headaches, migraine and muscular aches and tension; helps insomnia, nervous tension and anxiety; useful for both adults and children.
Fragrance Profile: Mainly soft, sweet and floral with camphoraceous and pungent notes.
Suggested blends for skin irritations: add 4 drops of lavender, 3 drops of tea tree and 3 drops of roman chamomile to 20 ml (4 teaspoons) carrier oil and massage affected area.
For easing headaches: add 3 drops of lavender to 5ml (1 teaspoon) of carrier oil and massage the forehead and neck to provide relief.
To ease insomnia: use 3 drops of lavender and 3 drops of orange to help you fall asleep.

TEA TREE – Melaleuca alternifolia
Tea Tree is from Australia and is one of the most antiseptic plants ever discovered. As an antiseptic, it is excellent for clearing skin infections and acne; healing wounds and cuts; soothing insect bites; clears athlete’s foot and helps flu, colds, bronchitis and boosts general immunity.
Fragrance Profile: Medicinal, green, camphoraceous aroma, pungent and strong.
Suggested blends for skin infections: add 3 drops of tea tree, 3 drops of sandalwood and 3 drops of lavender to 20ml of carrier oil and apply as necessary.
To assist chest problems: use an inhalation of 3 drops of tea tree and 3 drops of lemon twice daily.
To boost immunity: add 2 drops of tea tree, 2 drops bergamot and 1 drop black pepper to a warm bath. Add this combination of oils to 10 ml of carrier oil and massage the upper chest. Do this daily during an episode of flu.

PEPPERMINT – Mentha piperita
Everyone knows peppermint and the essential oil you buy is mostly from the USA where it is used to flavour toothpaste and chewing gum.
Note: If you have sensitive skin, use half the stated drops of peppermint in any blend due to the menthol content in the oil, which can act as an irritant.Main uses are for easing stomach cramps, indigestion, constipation and nausea; helps muscular aches, stiffness, backache; eases headaches and migraine; clears the head and improves concentration.
Fragrance Profile: Pungent, zesty, fresh and minty aroma with sweeter tones.
Suggested blends: Indigestion symptoms can be helped by massaging the abdomen with 2 drops peppermint, 4 drops of ginger and 4 drops cardamom in 20ml carrier oil.
For aches and pains: massage daily with 2 drops peppermint, 4 drops rosemary and 4 drops black pepper in 20ml carrier oil.
For headaches: add 2 drops of peppermint and 3 drops of lavender to 10ml carrier oil and massage onto the forehead and neck.
For clearing the mind: Vaporise 2 drops peppermint and 3 drops of lemon.

CHAMOMILE – Anthemis nobilis
Chamomile is one of the gentlest herbs and is often referred to as the ‘children’s herb’. The oil comes from the flowers and can be pale blue in colour due to the substance ‘azulene’ being present which has anti-inflammatory properties. The oil is mostly cultivated in the UK. Its main uses are: soothes cuts, burns, sore dry skin, nappy rash; eases menstrual cramps, premenstrual low energy and tension; soothing headaches and migraine; helps insomnia, nervous exhaustion, tension; restlessness and stress related problems.
Fragrance Profile: Fruity (apple like), sweet, fresh and soft.
Suggested blends: For skins problems add 3 drops roman chamomile, 4 drops lavender and 3 drops of palmarosa to 20ml carrier oil for an extremely gentle application.
To ease menstrual symptoms add 3 drops of roman chamomile and 2 drops of marjoram to a warm bath, then add this blend of oils to 10ml of carrier oil and massage the lower abdomen.
For insomnia and restlessness: try vaporising 3 drops of roman chamomile and 3 drops lavender in the bedroom before turning in for the night. This would be aided by taking a cup of chamomile tea about an hour before retiring.

EUCALYPTUS – Eucalyptus globulus
This is an Australian tree and the aborigines knew about its healing properties long ago. The leaves are where the oil comes from.
Note: Must not be swallowed – some cases of severe internal poisoning have occurred. Safe on the skin or as an inhalation.Main uses: Clears colds, blocked noses, sinusitis, chest infections; soothes burns, cuts, wounds and insect bites; eases muscular pains; improves circulation; improves concentration.
Fragrance Profile: Extremely fresh and bracing, with woodier tones later.
Suggested blends: For colds and chest problems, use 2 drops eucalyptus and 3 drops tea tree in an inhalation twice daily. Add the same combination of oils to 10ml of carrier oil and massage the chest area.
For damaged skin: add 2 drops eucalyptus, 3 drops of tea tree and 5 drops of lavender to 20ml of carrier oil and apply twice daily.
For muscle pain: add 3 drops eucalyptus, 4 drops rosemary and 3 drops ginger to 20ml carrier oil for massage.
To help improve levels of concentration: vaporise 3 drops eucalyptus and 3 drops rosemary.

GERANIUM – Pelargonium graveolens
This plant is known by its fragrant scented leaves which have a rosy aroma. It is sometimes called Rose Geranium and the island of RĂ©union in the Indian Ocean produces the best quality essential oil.
Main uses: soothes cracked and inflamed skin, eczema, dermatitis, acne and congested and oily skin; eases premenstrual symptoms such as lack of energy, bloatedness and fluid retention; soothes mood swings and helps balance hormonally related emotional upsets.
Fragrance Profile: Rosy, sweet and strong, with a hint of lemon and fresh green notes.
Suggested blends: For skin problems, add 3 drops geranium, 3 drops sandalwood and 4 drops of lavender to 20ml carrier oil and apply to the area as needed.
To ease premenstrual symptoms: Add 2 drops geranium and 3 drops of petitgrain to a warm bath. The same combination can be added to 10ml carrier oil for an uplifting massage afterwards.
To help balance mood swings: Add 3 drops of geranium, 3 drops lemon and 4 drops orange to 20ml carrier oil and massage into the skin. This will give a floral and citrus uplift.

ROSEMARY – Rosmarinus officinalis
The name originally means ‘Rose of the sea’ which is a reference to the original habitat of the plant on the dry, sandy coastline of the Mediterranean Sea. The best pungent oil comes from Spain or North Africa – the hotter the climate the better the aroma. It has a similar fragrance to eucalyptus because they both have a fragrant ingredient in common: eucalyptol.
Note: Rosemary is not advised for people with high blood pressure as it is stimulating oil. It should also not be used for people with epilepsy.Fragrance Profile: Strong, camphoraceous, fresh and herbal aroma a definite eucalyptus tone.
Main uses: eases muscular aches and pains, backache, poor circulation; stimulates the scalp and eases dandruff; clears the breathing in colds, influenza and sinusitis; stimulates the mind and wakes up the brain.
Suggested blends: For aches and pains and for poor circulation, try using 4 drops of rosemary, 2 drops of lemongrass and 4 drops of nutmeg in 20 ml carrier oil.
For a hair and scalp tonic: Add 5 drops of rosemary and 5 drops of tea tree to 20ml of unfragranced shampoo and then wash hair as usual.
To ease breathing with colds and flu: Add 3 drops of rosemary and 3 drops tea tree to a bowl of nearly boiling water and inhale the vapour for about 20 minutes.
To stimulate the mind: Vaporise 3 drops rosemary and 3 drops peppermint.

BLACK PEPPER – Piper nigrum
Black peppercorns are steam-distilled to yield the essential oil. This tropical plant is native to India and the oil is also produced there as well as Indonesia and Malaysia.
Fragrance Profile: Warm, musty, sharp and spicy with heavier sweet notes later.
Main uses: Warms and stimulates blood circulation; helps ease aches and pains; soothes indigestion, stomach cramps and constipation; strengthens the immune system, especially against the flu.
Suggested blends: To help sluggish or poor circulation, add 4 drops black pepper, 2 drops lemongrass and 4 drops cardamom to 20ml carrier oil and massage inot the affected area as needed.
To help ease indigestion or constipation, add 3 drops black pepper, 3 drops peppermint and 4 drops neroli to 20ml carrier oil and massage the abdomen twice daily.
As a tonic for the immune system add 1 drop black pepper, 2 drops tea tree and 2 drops bergamot to warm evening bath. Add the same mixture to 20ml carrier oil and massage the chest area afterwards.

LEMON – Citrus limonum
Oil of lemon is expressed or squeezed from the peel. The dark green leaves produce an essential oil called petitgrain citronnier.
Note: Avoid any exposure to strong sunlight or a sunbed for at least 12 hours after application to the skin. Can also burn so never apply neat to skin.Fragrance Profile: Green, citrusy and fresh, zesty and bright; softer and more sherbety tones develop with time.
Main uses: Helps build immunity against colds, flu and other viral infections; detoxifies the system and assists lymphatic drainage; freshens the mind and helps with concentration.
Suggested blends: To help boost the immune system, vaporise 3 drops lemon and 3 drops tea tree in a room to disinfect the air. Add the same blend to 10ml carrier oil to massage the chest area twice daily.
To help detoxify the body: Add 4 drops lemon, 2 drops Angelica and 4 drops Juniper to 20ml carrier oil and massage the legs and other affected areas twice daily.
To assist concentration and improve alertness: Add 3 drops lemon and 3 drops of Rosemary to a vaporiser (this is especially useful when studying).

BERGAMOT – Citrus bergamia
Bergamot is a small bitter orange grown in Italy and the essential oil comes from the peel. It is also known as the flavouring for Earl Grey tea.
Note: Strongly phototoxic so avoid strong sunlight and sun beds for at least 12 hours after application.Fragrance Profile: Fresh, bright, citrusy and sweet, developing softer, rounder and warmer tones later.
Main uses: Boosts immunity, helps combat colds, flu and respiratory complaints; eases the symptoms of vaginal thrush; soothes anxiety, depression, helps lift low spirits and combat stress.
Suggested blends: To help boost the immune system, add 2 drops bergamot, 2 drops tea tree and 1 drop black pepper to an evening bath and relax in the water, then add the same to 10ml carrier oil and massage the chest area.
For thrush: Add 2 drops bergamot and 3 drops sandalwood to a warm bath to soothe the area.
To ease stress and anxiety: Vaporise 3 drops bergamot and 3 drops frankincense to create a warm and uplifting aroma.

Other useful Oils
Ginger – Zingiber officinale
Comes from the root and is useful for easing digestion; warming and soothing aches and pains in muscles; improves circulation.
Vetiver – Vetiveria zizanoides
Comes from grass root and is useful for relieving aches and pains especially backache; improves circulation; eases menstrual cramps; helps to ground and stabilise the emotions in cases of extreme stress.
Sandalwood – Santalum album
This tree oil is mainly from India and is useful for easing tight, chesty coughs, colds, sore throats; soothes dry chapped skin and improves the texture of all skin types; eases depression, anxiety and feelings of panic.
Cedarwood – Cedrus atlantica
This tree oil is mainly from Morocco and is useful for bronchitis, chest infections; soothing cracked skin, eczema, acne and oily skin; calms and deepens the breathe when under stress and soothes feelings of panic.
Frankincense – Boswelllia carterli var. Thurifera
This resin oil mainly from Oman and Somalia is useful for disinfecting and healing cuts, wounds, eczema and damaged skin; tones and rejuvenates all skin types, especially mature; eases chesty coughs or bronchitis; comforts anxiety and emotional stress.
Myrrh – Commiphora myrrha
This resinous oil is useful for healing deep cuts and wounds, chapped and cracked skin, eczema; cleans and disinfects the mouth, easing ulcers and sore gums; calms highly emotional anxious states. (Avoid during pregnancy)
Marjoram – Origanum majorana
This herb is actually a variety of thyme, the oil comes from France and is useful for muscular aches and pains, stiffness and strains; easing menstrual cramps and mood swings; helps migraine, headaches and nervous tension.
Cypress – Cupressus sempervirens
The oil comes from young twigs and leaves of this tree and is useful for clearing oily skin and blocked pores; improves lymphatic drainage and cellulite; eases spasmodic coughs and bronchitis; soothes fraught emotions.
Petitgrain – Citrus aurantium var. amara
This essential oil comes from the bitter orange tree and is useful for toning, refreshing and balancing oily and combination skins; eases stomach cramps, indigestion and wind; calms and soothes the mind, releasing tension and nervous exhaustion.

Lion Spirit Walker
October 30th, 2010, 05:05 AM
:two hearts::smile1::two hearts:Thank you very much for posting this info. Ir's truly appreciated (sniff, sniff) and timely.

Kiran
November 6th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Sorry my love I missed your post here!! I am glad you are finding the information beneficial and I will be posting more :two hearts::two hearts: