PDA

View Full Version : Get out the nearest book!

BlueStar
April 29th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Pointless but fun....

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 124.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 3 sentences.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.

OK my nearest book is 'Be as you are: the teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi' by David Godman.

"In chapter 7 it was pointed out that surrender to God or the Self could be effectively practised by being aware at all times that there is no individual "I" acting and thinking, only a 'higher power' which is responsible for all the activities of the world. Sri Ramana recommended japa as an effective way of cultivating this attitude since it replaces an awareness of the individual and the world with a constant awareness of this higher power. In its early stages the repetition of the name of God is only an exercise in concentration and meditation, but with continued practise a stage is reached in which the repetition proceeds effortlessly, automatically and continuously."

Who's next?

Jester Black
April 29th, 2009, 08:01 PM
The book is Project Management, A Systems Approach to Planning, Scheduling and Controlling by Harold Kenzer, PhD

"The matrix can take many forms, but there are basically three common varieties. Each type represents a different degree of authority attributed to the program manager and indirectly identifies the relative size of the company. As an example, in the matrix of Figure 3-6, all program managers report directly to the general manager. This type of arrangment works best for small companies that have a minimum number of projects and assumes that the general manager has sufficient time to coordinate activities between his project managers."

what can I say. Im at work, lol

Samael
April 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM
" Man and His Symbols " by Carl Jung.. Others are all school related, probably not interesting enough to post names :)

Narnia
April 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Webster's New World College Dictionary

Page 124. (5th definition down)

Bed-ling-ton terrier [after Bedlington, a town in England] a blue or liver-colored, wooly-coated terrier resembling a small lamb.
Bed-loe's [after Isaac Bedloe, first owner] old name of LIBERTY ISLAND.
bed molding Archit. a molding below a projecting part, esp. between the corona and frieze.

*Hm?* ... you're right that was fun! :D

mary
April 29th, 2009, 08:59 PM
This sounds very interesting, but the nearest book has just 80 pages :Eeksign:

Kiran
April 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Eclipse by Stephanie Meyers

"He was shattered...The, somehow, she was the one comforting him, and after that...."

Lion Spirit Walker
April 30th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Lucid, nice idea. I like this.

"The archetype of marriage was designed to assist physical survival. When two people marry, they participate in an energy dynamic in which they merge their lives in order to help each other survive physically. The archetype of marriage is no longer functional." from "The Seat Of The Soul" by Gary Zukav.

p.s., that was really left open ended. Sorry people.
\Cool exercise nonetheless.
Thank you Lucid. :)

Rana
May 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM
it comes little by little,just as a building is constructed brick by brickor,as the tibetan expression has it,an ocean is formed drop by drop.And,because,unlike our bodies which soon get sick,old and worn out,the afflictive emotions never age,it is imporatnt to realize that dealing with them is a life long struggle.

page 124 : Ancient wisdom Modern World : his holiness the DALAI LAMA ..

i think it is a great idea ..cheeky spontaneous random fun thankyou that felt really cool xx

Logio
May 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Mine is from 'The Freemasons, by Jasper Ridley.

The Rohans were one of the most powerful families in France. Their family motto was 'Roi ne puis, prince ne daigne, Rohan je suis' (I cannot be king, I do not deign to be a Prince, I am a Rohan). The cardinal liked Cagliostro, and took him under his protection. Rohan was not a Freemason, but he was very sympathetic to Freemasonry, and he and his friend Georges Louis Phelypeaux, the Archbishop of Bourges, tried unsuccessfully to persuade the Pope to stop persecuting the Freemasons and to reach an agreement with them under which they would modify Freemason by making it more acceptable to Catholic doctrine.

Nathan

Lion Spirit Walker
May 7th, 2009, 03:52 AM
[ "Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi!" -Enigma]

Stargazer
May 7th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Mine is from ELECTRONICS For VI Semester BSc.

The overall noise figure is 4.77dB.The Bandwidth is 500kHz and the antenna diameter is 1m.The Radar can detect targets of 5m² cross-section at a maximum distance of 12km.If the peak transmitted pulse power is 1.1 W calculate the operating frequency of the radar. :dash1

This sounds very interesting, but the nearest book has just 80 pages :Eeksign::laugh:

Lion Spirit Walker
May 7th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Forgive me. I understand this isn't the "What made you smile..." thread. But the above post gave me a big-heart smile. Tyvm.

messickc
May 13th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Sadly, all books in my office are technical.

From "Satellite Communications Systems" by M. Richharia:

"The risk is balanced against advantages such as increased satellite lifetime, improvement in system capacity resulting in reduction in cost/circuit, etc. Such an evolutionary approach is generally favoured (sic.) by established system operators - both international and domestic. For example, INTELSAT has always included a significant amount of innovation in each generation of spacecraft, thereby maximizing the use of frequency and vastly increasing the circuits offered."

Be happy I went for the second closest book: I have a bound copy of the IEEE 802.3 (Ethernet) standard right here on my desk. Talk about dry!

Genesis
May 13th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Interesting

'The Bible"

Exodus 34:6,7.

"Jehovah Jehovah. A God merciful and gracious slow to anger abundant in loving kindness and truth. Preserving loving kindness and thousands pardoning error and transgression an sin but by no means will he give exemption from punishment; bringing punishment for the error of fathers upon sons and upon grandsons upon third generations and upon forth generations"

Woah, kinda weird.

A-one
May 14th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I picked the nearest but it was a German book and it was part 2 from two books. The beginning page was 647...

Hmm, part one has page 124 however the chapter is in quite difficult German, "......Hinsicht bessere Erkentnissquellen haben..." so here's my book at the right, since that's english!

Blah.. :pilot: that book has pages like this: 23-43....

Well -then- I take my book I've just had an exam of this morning. So the book was on my desk untill just 5 minutes ago..

Well lets see: "Common logic, and the investigation of structures such as narratives, can be useful for discounting proporsitions which may be incompatible with the data, or incoherent in some way, but do not act as sure guide to what proporsitions should be stated. The material principles of evidence evaluation are in a sense blind, in that they are logically the same as long as their basic tenets are adhered to irrespective of the proporsitions under evaluation, and the data used in that evaluation. We can, in principles, evaluate proporsitions for which suitable data exist for any set of proporsitions, but should we? Are there classes of proporsitions which should not be evaluated, or at least if they are, those evaluations should not be used as evidence in formal proceedings."

It's from my "statistics" book, chapter: Relevance and the formulation of proporsition. (Lucy)

Oh my these are only 4 sentences.. I'll skip 5 for today.. :)

Can you imagine I'm a bit tired of doing that exam?

Oh and Messick, wonderful technical phrases you had!!
I used to work in the space-oriented area, satellite lifetime, Intelsat sounds so familiar.. :)