PDA

View Full Version : Recycling

God's Toy
November 10th, 2008, 12:53 AM
What better way to help our Mother Earth than recycling.

So the question before you is:

Do you take part in recycling? If so, could you help us by listing ways you do it?

EDIT: I am aware this is an old thread idea from another board, be that as it may that board is now dead so I'm sure it wont mind too much!

Narnia
November 10th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Reduce!! Reuse!! Recycle!!

My fiance calls me the "Recycling Queen"...I have been recycling for years, it was something my Dad taught my sister and I, it's good for the environment!! It's an everyday practice for me which I am proud of!

[Later Edit]

We live in a town with free recycle pick-up. You have to ask the town for one or two bin(s) and I think the bins cost something, but the bins are tiny. And since I know our town accepts, Glass (clear and coloured), Paper, Carboard, Plastic(s) 1-2-3...(I throw in 4-5 because I know it gets hand sorted later when it's sent on to the right facilities) and Metal (tin, aluminium, and steel)....I go a little nuts with the recycling. We have three large Rubbermaid bins, labeled Glass/Metal, Paper/Cardboard, and Plastic. If I acquire any plastic shopping bags, they are returned to the store for recycling. I even recycle the little cardboard juice boxes and their little straws!

But, I use the cloth bags (which are terrific) plus, evertime I use them we save a little $! :)

I also keep a compost pile with worms, the worms help to counter act green house gases...and remember "NO! animal matter is allowed!" in any compost pile.

I sometimes wish our town had the "Green Police" like they do in some places in Europe...I would love that job!

But, the best thing to do with recycling is, to learn about the recycling process, you'll find out that there is soo much that can be recycled....of course the 'facilities' need to be available!

I love to recycle!!

planetlove
November 10th, 2008, 01:54 AM
In Canada recycling is a must
We have three garbage bins
one for garbage stuff...General garbage..
one for recycling stuff ... plastics and paper
and a few yrs ago we have also started organic waste with bio degradable bags..this goes in its own separate green bin....
It's the greatest thing ..I love Canada for this...
I do my best .....It's a clean country......
V

Kiran
November 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Yes here in Galway we have recycling. Our refuse charges are based on what bins you use (we have three as well) - the lowest charges per use is given to the composting and recycled rubbish. The highest is for the non-recyclable rubbish. My bin charges have been much lower since they changed over to this system!!

Mr. Brightside
November 11th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I try to recycle as much as possible, here were I live the council are bringing new rules regarding waste disposal (although they have been slow to implement it)

My daughter was telling me about a web site were people give stuff away instead of disposing of it to prolong the life of something, I have yet to check it out but in theory sounds like a good idea..

http://www.freecycle.org/

we live in a throw away society and the more we can do to reduce the amount of waste we produce the better.

little bird
November 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM
We have 2 bins and our own composter in the back garden. We are due to get a third bin soon though.

Our purple bin is for general waste. Our green bin for for all recyclable paper, plastic and aluminium. The new bin we're getting early next year will be blue and that will be for glass. I currently bring all our glass to the recycle centre so I am really looking forward to getting that one.

In work, we have communal bins. We have small trays at our desks to compile and at the end of the day, we bring them to the bin station in our section. Each station has 4 bins. Grey for confidential shredding waste. Blue for non confidential paper and cardboard. White for plastics and cans. Red for general waste. People were livid when it was first brought in but I personally think it's a great idea and it's worked out well.

I recycle as much as I can and I will continue to do so.

SoulChild
November 19th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I have not been doing too good on recycling. When I get or see the chance, I absolutley recycle. I live in an area where I don't have city services, so everything like trash pick up and recycling...we have to find the facility and do it ourselves. Okay, as I am typing I see that this could just be a matter of laziness. Well, were I am from, you know the truck comes to you. Hey, and I am still getting to know this place, and get used to all the differences. Okay, now I sound like I am making up excuses...LOL So, I will be true to myself, and say that I play a small part either way...sometimes it is either way, meaning both ways really. So, maybe it is a balance? Sometimes I recycle, sometimes I don't. But, there is always room for improvement! :girl_yes3 (1):

Genesis
November 21st, 2008, 07:06 AM
I dont although I should.
My work has bins set up and I do there.

Rana
November 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
our lil town has a ban on plastic bags! we have 3 bins ..one for paper and bottles ..one for green waste like leaves etc ,the other for general rubbish ..and a rain tank to water the garden etc ..i think its great that my kids are learning this as natural and they will pass it on and on !!

JACOB
December 14th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I have two bins, one is for plastic and one is for paper. There will be a new bin and we have to put our organic stuff in that for recycling. That's how it is in Canada:)

patrik.
December 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Yes, I do recycle. I'm lucky that the board of this block decided a few years ago to build a house including containers where people can drop (after seperating of course) combustible, organic, plastic (hard and soft), paper, cardboards, glass (coloured and non-coloured), batteries, light bulbs, pretty much anything except for all electronics. Wow, got so tired after writing that list. :D

messickc
December 17th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I do a thing called freecycling:

www.freecycle.org

Look for your local chapter, or start your own.

Also, our city has a recycling program. We have to wash and separate the recyclables, and they pick it up with the trash. Thing is they are really picky about what they'll take, so it's a huge headache.

I am also somewhat a dumpster diver.

[edit]
Well nevermind that. I figured the website would have an explanation:

Basically, you join a yahoo group for your area. The members post items they no longer need to be given away for FREE to someone that needs it. This extends the life of the item, keeping it out of the landfill longer. If you are looking for something, you can post a want to the group and hope someone that has what you are looking for gives it to you. The only catch is everything must be free, and offered without strings (conditions) attached.

Samael
December 30th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Recycling is a great idea any also may be a crucial idea of man's survival in outer space :) I also think that rise of nanotechnology will really give a totally new meaning to it. Just imagine tons of aluminum self-assembling into MacBooks :D lol

General recycling is a good idea and I do it when ever I get opportunity to do so, but I don't think that "planet" will feel benefits of it until all recycling is managed by none profit organizations, because for some manufacturers is cheaper to buy new aluminum [one of my favorite elements by the way, it can also be recycled numerous times] from China then local recycled one, because its much more expensive and not because of technology or labor price.

Also, I think that banning of plastic bags is a good idea :) In India I think this was crucial, not only because of environment, but these bags were blocking soever system, so these was issue of health hazard.

userid7
February 25th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I was looking at all the destruction of nature that we have done,
and it later came to me, hey, all of the "parts" of the earth that
seem to be destroyed are still here, but yes in a different form.
Not a small job, but it is within the posible that it all be restored.
Love and FReedom,

woops , Freedom....haha, there I just did a bit.
OK it's a different pixel, anyone know how I could change that R to an r using the
same light energy?
Maybe I did, but something put it back aye?
DangerBird

SoulChild
February 25th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I am doing a proposal report on recycling....I'll let you guys know how it goes....:hi:

userid7
February 25th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I am not sure what directions you are thinking of,
but if it's in your power, I know there are a multitude of solutions
that have been brought to light, then suddenly snuffed out,
I'm sure you know your business, but would like to ask you to
take a look at some of the idea's that have sunk into some black hole.

What comes to mind firstly is something I caught on the TV years ago,
I don't watch the thing much, but these folks were demonstrating
a way to turn garbage dumps into very valuable soil for farming.
All they did was dump a truck load of earth worms into the dump,
apparently they will eat about any kind of garbage and out comes
from the other end is fertile soil, so what's holding us up?
Personally I don't have the resources, but there must be millions
in research on how to revitalize our soil, and how to vanquish the
very large portion of garbage that is considered worthless and takes
up so much space.
There is burning and burying,yes..but a nowhere solution.
I am guessing that from your post that you may have some power
to get solutions like this into reality, for the benifit of ALL.

Peace
DangerBird.

SoulChild
February 26th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Since the topic of recycling is large...I had to narrow it down. It is going to be a 10 page proposal report for my technical writing class. I had to chose a topic that I am passionate about in order to make it 10 pages. Of course, some of the pages would be cover page, table of contents, works cited, and illustrations, and about six would be written. I have narrowed the topic to retailers and recycling programs that will lead to conservation behaviors, and to make it convienient, and available. So, I am using my job as an example since this class is work related. I have already pulled articles from States that have already implemented the retailer, consumer program to reduce plastic bag waste. I will work more diligently on this report this week, and I will update you. Thanks for the input!:thanks: