PDA

View Full Version : SIGN UP FOR EARTH HOUR! (Sat 28th March)

BlueStar
March 27th, 2009, 02:26 PM
(I don't think this has been posted already, apologies if I'm wrong...)

EARTH HOUR is Saturday 28th March 8.30pm-9.30pm! www.earthhour.org

I hope everyone will participate in this global event to signal our resolve to tackle climate change. Everyone is stressing about the economy, when in fact it is climate change that is a far more pressing concern: economies rise and fall but we've now reached the absolute tipping point of the planet's future......Who cares if we can't afford as many 'things' when the planet we're living on is in danger of becoming uninhabitable?

Please sign up and make your voice heard! Let's hope that Earth's darkest hour will herald its greatest dawn.

Visit www.earthhour.org and register now!

PLEASE TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW ABOUT IT!

:thanks::yourock::signsHF:

BlueStar
March 27th, 2009, 02:28 PM
From the website:

For the first time in history, people of all ages, nationalities, race and background have the opportunity to use their light switch as their vote – Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming. WWF are urging the world to VOTE EARTH and reach the target of 1 billion votes, which will be presented to world leaders at the Global Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen 2009.

This meeting will determine official government policies to take action against global warming, which will replace the Kyoto Protocol. It is the chance for the people of the world to make their voice heard.

Earth Hour began in Sydney in 2007, when 2.2 million homes and businesses switched off their lights for one hour. In 2008 the message had grown into a global sustainability movement, with 50 million people switching off their lights. Global landmarks such as the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, Rome’s Colosseum, the Sydney Opera House and the Coca Cola billboard in Times Square all stood in darkness.

In 2009, Earth Hour is being taken to the next level, with the goal of 1 billion people switching off their lights as part of a global vote. Unlike any election in history, it is not about what country you’re from, but instead, what planet you’re from. VOTE EARTH is a global call to action for every individual, every business, and every community. A call to stand up and take control over the future of our planet. Over 74 countries and territories have pledged their support to VOTE EARTH during Earth Hour 2009, and this number is growing everyday.

We all have a vote, and every single vote counts. Together we can take control of the future of our planet, for future generations.

VOTE EARTH by simply switching off your lights for one hour, and join the world for Earth Hour.

Saturday, March 28, 8:30-9:30pm.

SoulChild
March 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I was going to sign up through my facebook account. and I realized that I will be at work that evening, and it's an electronics store. I feel as though I may act as a hipocrit if I sign up, and yet, be at work.

This is a great idea, and hope it is successful.:girl_yes3 (1):

also, I got the time, but is it Eastern Standard Time? Or does it not matter?

Narnia
March 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks dear Rory for the reminder! :yourock:

.... and what else is cool, is that one can switch off their lights for an hour anytime, say once week or even once a month. Light a few candles and meditate for that hour and honour your home and Mother ..... every little bit goes a long way!

:Hbounce :two hearts: Let's SAVE our beloved planet EARTH, it's our only home!! :two hearts: :Hbounce

BlueStar
March 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Great idea Polly, I think it would be cool if we could arrange say, a regular day when we kept the lights off for an hour (I happen to love candlelight so no prob for me!). We'd make a huge difference, and probably notice the difference in electricity bills as well.

Shame you'll be working Elizabeth - they probably wouldn't be too happy with you if you started switching everything off!! But I guess you could participate on your own time, maybe the next night you were off. It doesn't have to be the exact time and day I don't think....just whatever works for you :)

Kiran
March 28th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Iam all ready for Earth Hour....its 8.05pm here right now and I have all my candles lit and the light from the open fire.

Let us know what you are doing while its on guys :)

Its now earth hour here and I am sitting here snug and cosy warm and chilled out listening to my MP3 player while typing away. Just light from candles and the open fire....:D

BlueStar
March 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Well, during Earth hour I had a candlelit bath with Vangelis (his music, that is! 1977's Spiral to be exact). Then I relaxed and listened to the end of a live talk by Eckhart Tolle, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

It was funny walking into a room and having to stop the compulsion to switch on the light! Made me much more aware of how much we take it for granted. Thinking about doing this on a regular basis!

Hope everyone else had - or has - fun!