PDA

View Full Version : Please take a moment to sign this letter by Archbishop Tutu

BlueStar
March 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM
http://www.thecommunity.com/

This month marks the 50th anniversary of the Dalai Lama's exile from Tibet and a half century of brutal violence and oppression by the Chinese government.

In just one day this year, 5,766 Tibetans were rounded up and questioned in Lhasa as part of China's 'Strike Hard' campaign. Disappearances, detention and torture are commonplace as journalists have been expelled from Tibetan areas and refused permits to Lhasa, the tragedy is unfolding behind closed doors, beyond international scrutiny.

Mobile singals are jammed, international lines cut to stop Tibetans exposing what is taking place. Tibetans are literally risking their liberty to get information out. Wangdu, an NGO worker from Lhasa, was sentenced to life imprisonment merely for forwarding information to the outside world.

These tactics are designed both to create a climate of fear where Tibetans are afriad of protesting, and to prevent any evidence of brutal crackdowns being made public should protests occur.

In a week where the Dalai Lama stuck his neck out, and the Chinese government retaliated with public scorn, Archbishop Desmond Tutu has stepped forward and asked us to raise our voices.

Please take just a moment of your time to sign the letter today, and in so doing speak up for those who don't have a voice themselves.

THE WEBSITE IS: http://www.thecommunity.com/

Thank you for making a difference!

Stargazer
March 16th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Thank You Amoyan......I just signed it.

Kiran
March 16th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Me too :girl_yes3 (1):

God's Toy
March 16th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Signed

I only hope this can do something to help.

Times like this you wish you colud find the people pulling the strings and make them understand... But that is now the way...

May The Triple Gem Bless you all.

:thanks:

Mr. Brightside
March 16th, 2009, 05:48 PM
done hope it does some good ;)

BlueStar
March 16th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys! One of the more positive aspects of the internet is being able to make our voice heard on important social and environmental causes at the mere click of a button. None of us can single-handedly change the world, but I believe that if we all take little actions (as little as a signature sometimes) it all adds up to something greater.

Narnia
March 16th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Yep, signed, sealed, and hopefully delivered! :thanks:

Lion Spirit Walker
April 9th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Seeing the initial date of this thread I thought I may be to late to add my name.
But as with all else, it's never to late to do that which is right.
We are all meassured by our acts. Even if it is only to our Self that we answer.
Thank you very much for giving me this opportunity.

BlueStar
April 9th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Nope, it's not too late at all Michael. In fact its more important now more than ever. I received an email, as I believe everyone who signed the petition, last week, from Archbishop Tutu. In case for whatever reason anyone didn't receive, here's what he had to say:

"It warms my heart to see so many of my fellow Nobel Laureates, stars, leaders, and people from around the world put their signature on paper, so to speak, to stand behind our friend the Dalai Lama.

"We have just seen a shameful example of South African leaders becoming timid in the face of Chinese "might" and their own economic interests, and refusing this incredible, peaceful being entry to our county --for a peace conference!

"It's an embarrassment that this could happen in a country that has known how dark life can be when your human rights are being smashed. And we, of all people, know what it means when someone in another part of the world stands up for your rights and freedom.

"So it's a joyful thing, to turn around and see you -- people from all countries, from all walks of life, who are willing to step forward, put their name down, and say "wait a minute, I object to this mistreatment!"

"It lets me know, once again, that good will ultimately prevail in this world.

"Keep it up. You are the people who make freedom happen."

Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Lion Spirit Walker
April 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Thank you very much for sharing that. Hopefuly it will encourage others to also add their names to the list.
Tyvm.