PDA

View Full Version : All Opposites Are Identical

Stargazer
March 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM
* This was one of the article that i presented to my college magazine and it got published a year ago,well just thought of sharing this piece of information with you all *

All Opposites Are Identical

http://www.heyokamagazine.com/AghoriSadhuVaranasi.jpg

yes all opposite are identical if one has to go by what an Aghori says;The Aghora subsect of shaivites represents one of the most extreme and demanding paths among sadhus.

The Aghora subsect was founded by Brahmagiri,a disciple of Gorakhnath and are strict followers of Lord Shiva.These ascetics remain naked and often wear a rosary made of bones around their neck and carry a human skull in their left hand and a bell in the right hand.

Aghora is another name for God Shiva and literally means "Not Terrible".Found largely in the holy city of Varanasi ,India.This extremely secretive community is known to live in graveyards,wear ash from the pyre and use human bones from graveyards for rituals.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0grx5XrbaP4HY/340x.jpg
*An Aghori sadhu who has had his right hand raised from almost 20 years,vowing never to lower them as a devotion to the Lord.*

The Aghoris maintain that all opposites are identical and that the conventional distinctions between purity and impurity are ultimately illusory.The purpose of embracing pollution through various practices is the realization of non duality through transcending social taboos and seeing the illusory nature of all conventional wisdom.

In essence Aghoris base their beliefs on two principles.First ,that the gods perfect .Second that the gods are responsible for everything;every rock,tree,animal and even every thought.Due to this,everything that exists must be perfect,and to deny the perfection of anything would be to deny the gods.

By challenging all sense of dark and light,good and bad,proper and improper,aghori sadhus believe the inherent Divine nature of the universe will be revealed.

Therefore these sadhus put themselves through many tests;spend most of their time around cremation grounds,drink and eat from a human skull,demonstrate their transcendence of pain and non attachment by consuming decomposed human flesh and their own excrement.

http://www.heyokamagazine.com/26-marigold-Baba.jpg

knowledge of the ultimate reality of Death has taken the Aghori beyond the eight snares of existence viz.Lust,Anger,Greed and Delusion,Envy,Shame,Disgust and fear which binds all beings.

Kiran
March 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hmmm...very interesting principles Stargazer! Yes I have heard of these....very extreme to most people in their actions and yet their beliefs are very simple.
To acknowledge that all we are...the light and the dark...is to acknowledge our whole being. People spend years trying to develop the positive while denying what they perceive as the negative...to do this is to deny a part of their soul and in doing so leave it fragmented.
We are composed of light and dark, good and bad, negative and positive...to deny one is to negate the other.
Thank you so much for sharing honey :)

Stargazer
March 16th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Thanks for your views on this Crystallorri :)

And yes it's very extreme and yet simple in principles.....Isn't it very intriguing to learn that there are humans who live like that ......these Aghori sadhus have always been of special interest to me.

Kiran
March 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Yes I always admired people who have the courage of thier convictions to be so disciplined!! Most of us can live like this and follow these basic principles without having to go to such lengths. Its an ongoing learning process...one that I am trying to work on myself...to acknowledge and reconcile both sides of who I am :)
Good post honey :)
HUGS

Narnia
March 16th, 2009, 12:32 PM
* This was one of the article that i presented to my college magazine and it got published a year ago,well just thought of sharing this piece of information with you all *

Congratulations on having your work published! WOW! And thank you for sharing this with us dear heart!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0grx5XrbaP4HY/340x.jpg
*An Aghori sadhu who has had his right hand raised from almost 20 years,vowing never to lower them as a devotion to the Lord.*

Years ago, I heard of this gentlemen in the above picture and found it fascinating then and still to this day, I am intriguied by such extreme actions ....

.... We are composed of light and dark, good and bad, negative and positive...to deny one is to negate the other ....

Hm, I like that Lorri! :)

.... And yes it's very extreme and yet simple in principles ....

Yes it is, and like your article says .... All Opposites are Identical.

*Wow, that would be a great ENIGMA album title*

I particularly like this image .... very much .... his face is so rough and yet so gentle at the same time! It's like he is looking at you, but though you. As in, he sees your very being and what it's made of; the strengths and weaknesses, and he sees beyond that, into another realm .... of some kind .... his gaze is plain and yet intense ....

http://www.heyokamagazine.com/AghoriSadhuVaranasi.jpg

Thank you for sharing Stargazer! :girl_yes3 (1):