PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

userid7
February 25th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Allright,
If smoking is so bad,
How come I could live without food, longer than without tabbaco aye?

How about the military, they killed more people than any ciggarete ever did,
why aren't we banning them from resteraunts?

Peace,
DangerBird.

Kiran
February 25th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I guess anything like this is all down to personal choice...I don't smoke cos I ahte the smell of them on others....but its whatever works for any of us. We all have an addiction to something!

Narnia
February 25th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Yes, it does come down to personal choice....

I grew up in a smoke free household which I am very thankful for! Its funny, I am so opposed to smoking and yet I live with a smoker. Its against my own personal policy to date a smoker, but its so hard not too, because so many people smoke!

Well, a long time ago I put up such a major stink (no un intended) about Paul's smoking, he's only allowed to smoke when he's by himself; either outside, or by himself while driving or at his job where the other guys smoke too. When we are together he never smokes, because he knows it annoys the hell out of me and its just easier if he doesn't!

He has been smoking for years that I can't stop him completely, but I am very thankful he tries not to smoke around me! :)

God, I hate smoking! :Eeksign:

userid7
February 25th, 2009, 02:17 PM
No worry,
I didn't expect much in the way of support for that post,
I must apoligize for my late night humour,

Then again, my Grandma lived to be 98 and smoked constantly,
and most smokers do not even notice the smell at all, though I
guess it is obviously offensive to some non-smokers.

And if it's not my place to say, not sure, but I am kinda happy you
decided to go with this guy anyway,
There was some computer dating thing I ran across and the only two
questions they asked to match up people were,
Do you smoke or do you drink?
It hit me as such a shallow way to find love,
Each to our own then I guess,

Peace and Love,
DangerBird.

Narnia
February 25th, 2009, 02:44 PM
No worry,
I didn't expect much in the way of support for that post,
I must apoligize for my late night humour,

No worries my friend and no need to apologize either, I gathered where you were coming from...I was just stating my own personal experiences.

Then again, my Grandma lived to be 98 and smoked constantly,
and most smokers do not even notice the smell at all, though I
guess it is obviously offensive to some non-smokers.

Yes, non-smokers have wicked sensitive sniffers. Paul is always amazed at my ability to sniff out cigarette smoke....its funny...it gets stinkier as it travels away from the source....? *hmm?*

And if it's not my place to say, not sure, but I am kinda happy you
decided to go with this guy anyway,

Its okay, you may say like what you like, and as for me, I am happy too! :)

There was some computer dating thing I ran across and the only two
questions they asked to match up people were,
Do you smoke or do you drink?
It hit me as such a shallow way to find love,
Each to our own then I guess,

Peace and Love,
DangerBird.

Well, you are right on both counts; that is a shallow way to find love and each to their own! :giveheart

SoulChild
February 26th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Okay, here it is....my confession. I have been smoking since Sept. Why did I start back up? I don't know, just being rebellious.....I was still training for my marathon, and I still ran it with no problem. I have not yet quit...yet I don't feel that I am addicted. I do crave them...but, if I really wanted to quit...I can...cold turkey! I know I have to stop soon before it become to hard to quit. My technique to quit is to not buy any. Then if I crave one, just ask someone at the job, and it is usually something I don't like, so it gradually turns me off from them. then, you start to get annoyed at asking people for smokes, then you begin to forget about them..then you quit! Thats how I do it...and I think I am on my last pack...I have one more....but, I was invited to a party this weekend, so I think one more pack...and I am sure I have to quit, because I have already started back with my training.....I will post my progress.

Good luck to all those trying to quit!

JUST DO IT!!!

Logio
February 26th, 2009, 03:24 AM
http://thegadgetblog.com/wp-content/Just_Like_Dad_Bubble_Gum_Cigarettes.jpg

I don't smoke, but I wish smoking were a healthful thing, because lighting up a cigarette gives one something to do with hiser hands. Maybe scientists will one day create a healthy cigarette that taste just as good, without all the carcinogens that go along with it...that even kids can smoke, at school in front of their teachers.

http://iftf.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/little_boy_smoking.jpg

userid7
February 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM
If you are familiar with OMNI, a not very old, but very good scientific
kinda magazine, they did alot of off-beat experiments on thier own
and found 10 healthy things smoking can do,
I'm apologize for the bad memory, but
the only one I remember is that it releaves stress, when
a smoker encounters stress they light up and releive it,
while others have to go through it,
I don't know for sure either, but alot of physcians say stress is
very bad, can lead to heart failure ect.
Then myself,I think that beleiving in health makes you healthier,
so if you think smokeing is bad, it will be be..ya follow me?
Then another article I read, was a finding that pipe smokers
live longer on the average, this was explained by the fact that
pipe tababaco does not contain all the chemicals ciggs do.
They even said tabbaco is not addicting, but these chemicals were.
When I switched to a pipe, I found that I would crave a cigg now and
then, even though the tabbaco is stronger..which kinda supports this.
But hey, I do think it would be better if I never started in the first
place.
Peace
DangeBird.

SoulChild
February 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Great Post DB! I agree with everything you said. I will stop smoking though, because I notice the difference. I am more tired when smoking, and less motivated to work out, and I think it may effect my taste buds as well...I haven't been drinking as much water. Also with my workouts and yoga, I have to concentrate on opening my lungs and breathe correctly where as before it was easier, and when I am done running I cough. Yet, in my mind I am healthy...it's sort of balanced because I do excersize my lungs...but, in the end smoke is just not a good idea. I also feel that if you sort of get the dose of the poison it may build a certain immunity. Meaning, I think that if I were never a smoker, and I were suddenly intruduced to a smoking environment, I would be more likely to get sick if my body had never built up some type of defense to it. My grandfather smoked the pipe and passed at 82 (last May), but it's possible he may have lived longer, but he had heart surgery when he was serving in the military. Stopping smoking is a decision. You make the choice and you follow through.

God's Toy
March 1st, 2009, 01:06 PM
I think it's sad to see anyone smoke in this day and age.
What makes my blood boil is seeing parents smoke around children. How selfish can you people get? Really, I mean how dear you!

Dont get me started on this please...

SoulChild
March 2nd, 2009, 01:11 AM
I think it's sad to see anyone smoke in this day and age.
What makes my blood boil is seeing parents smoke around children. How selfish can you people get? Really, I mean how dear you!

Dont get me started on this please...

Maybe we should have named this the "vice" thread. I say that becuase, I can agree with you God's Toy, yet I can say the same thing about obesity. i can say that it is sad and selfish how parents over feed their children and themselves. As you know in America, obesity is a big problem...as well as smoking and many, many, more.

Also in America, many states have made it law to ban smoking from public places. this will reduce the second hand smoke issue. this will allow the blame, consequences, and any health issues that may follow, solely on the smoker...and yes, we can still say it is sad that people do it these days...yes, and it is also sad that people still drink and drive...it's also sad that people still have unprotected sex....many things are sad.

I appreciate your bluntness God's Toy! Actually with your post, and nathans...yes, thats enough to make me mad (at myself) so I am quitting!

Thanks....yes, thats how I like it......TUFF LOVE :two hearts:

Logio
March 3rd, 2009, 02:38 AM
The Evils of Cigarettes. Please enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TmSIRFKwl0

Jester Black
March 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I am a reformed smoker. Quit a 27 year 2-pack a day habit 2 years ago with no regrets. Having said that, however, I have a real issue with the thinly veiled "governmental" control over peoples personal choices. Im all for optimizing public health (I am a Hospitaller, after all), but the "proposed" bans of even more areas including open public places and in even in ones own home, are awfully close to being autocratic and discriminatory of a recognized demographic. Thats just wrong within the spirit of democratic principle and freedom of self. Worst yet, it promotes "class prejudices" that should be totally unacceptable to anyone who holds freedom dearly.

userid7
March 18th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Thankyou Jester for posting that, it was really what as on my mind
when I started this thread.
I find it rather unacceptable on it's own, but this is another step
to the new world order, these polititions do not care about our health,
they are testing us to see what they can get away with,
there will be more coming.
I have to say too, that as fun as it may seem now, this google
satalite in my eyes is a tool to make spying seem like fun for us all,
so when the various gov'ts spy on citizens it won't even seem
like a crime anymore, plus they have millions of volenteers to help
them put an end to privacy and gather information on those
who may oppose them, put an end to freedom of speech and
ultimately put such a clampdown on us all that will and has erupted
into violence, and as said seperate the poeple and make us even
easier to controll, the perfect hell is on it's way, and it will take alot
to turn things around, but that can only come from us, and seperated
we are all easy targets.
DangerBird.

Rana
April 3rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
well im a nurse who is 'currently quitting' smoking ..hmm its been 4 days .. i know people that have lived well into there 90's that were regular smokers ..but i have also witnessed the effects of smoking has on people and it is pretty terrible ..and not a great way to live out your days ..even if smoking related illness isnt the reason for death in the end. .

userid7
April 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Well if you can go four days, I think you've got it licked...though I have
talked to alot of people who quit and they say the craving never goes away,
so good luck and prepare yourself. :)
Peace and Love,
DangerBird.
Nowadays I keep tic tacs around and have one of them instead of a smoke,
half the time or so.
I really am not sure how your addiction works, but alot of people do trade
off one for another, and the new thing may be as bad...anyway sounds good.
BM:yourock:

Rana
April 4th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Well if you can go four days, I think you've got it licked...though I have
talked to alot of people who quit and they say the craving never goes away,
so good luck and prepare yourself. :)
Peace and Love,
DangerBird.
Nowadays I keep tic tacs around and have one of them instead of a smoke,
half the time or so.
I really am not sure how your addiction works, but alot of people do trade
off one for another, and the new thing may be as bad...anyway sounds good.
BM:yourock:

... your optimism is scary my will power is weak ..but im wanting it to be strong !! im still going along well ..had a busy day today cleaning out the shed etc ..so after i inhaled every dust particle i had no time to think about the quitting ..tic tacs ..sounds like a good plan ill give anything a go !! thanks !

SoulChild
April 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I am starting my forth week of non-smoking! I am proud....everything is going back to normal. I have been exersizing regularly, drinking more water, and I have not been thinking of cig's...well, maybe sometime it pass my mind, but then I'll just think of something else.

Narnia
April 4th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I am starting my forth week of non-smoking! I am proud....everything is going back to normal. I have been exersizing regularly, drinking more water, and I have not been thinking of cig's...well, maybe sometime it pass my mind, but then I'll just think of something else.

Four weeks .... that's totally awesome .... you go girl! Think of it as if your training for next big marathon!!

Drinking is always good ... but don't forget to maintain your vitamins and minerals too!

Try Nature Made's organic mutli-vitamin High Potency it's something like $10 a bottle .... but I love that one and feel it is worth it!

Good luck to you dear SoulChild!! :yourock:

Narnia
April 4th, 2009, 01:11 PM
... your optimism is scary my will power is weak ..but im wanting it to be strong !! im still going along well ..had a busy day today cleaning out the shed etc ..so after i inhaled every dust particle i had no time to think about the quitting ..tic tacs ..sounds like a good plan ill give anything a go !! thanks !

And .... good luck to you too dear oceanentity!!

For you, since you're just beginning, this is the time where you need lots of support, ideas and encouragement and I for one support you and your decision!! I have faith your spirit can succeed!

:yourock:

BlueStar
April 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Congrats on your four weeks Elizabeth and good luck to you as well Rana!

I was an on and off smoker. Started at school when I was about 17, peer pressure I guess, then forcibly quit when I was really ill with glandular fever a year later. Then during the midst of a rather turbulent time started again when I was 22, then stopped again when I was about 26, partly because I was dating someone who didn't smoke and felt like a bit of a leper!

I respect people's right to make their own choices.

I remember reading in an article that until the 50s the cigarettes they manufactured weren't necessarily THAT bad for you....but it was around about then that they started filling them with countless different toxins and carcinogens, all designed to make them more addictive and supposedly to alter the taste as well.

If people really want to smoke I'd suggest they made their own cigarrettes with organic tobacco or whatever. That way they could at least be sure they weren't taking in all the crap they pump into commercial ones. I don't know why governments don't simply insist that the manufacturers stop putting in all that junk?

Interestingly smoking is commonplace in many indigenous cultures...in itself I don't think it is an inherently bad thing. What is bad is the way the industry deliberately poisions en masse just to keep people addicted.

Narnia
April 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM
.... I respect people's right to make their own choices ....

I second this completely!

.... If people really want to smoke I'd suggest they made their own cigarrettes with organic tobacco or whatever....

Paul smokes and he 'rolls' or rather makes his own cigarrettes using an 'organic' tobacco made by Native Americans. (The tobacco, actually comes in a really cool tin container.)

.... That way they could at least be sure they weren't taking in all the crap they pump into commercial ones. I don't know why governments don't simply insist that the manufacturers stop putting in all that junk?....

Another excellent point.

.... Interestingly smoking is commonplace in many indigenous cultures...in itself I don't think it is an inherently bad thing. What is bad is the way the industry deliberately poisions en masse just to keep people addicted.

Again I agree with you.

Lotus Flower
April 5th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Well

I am not a smoker but my ex-husband did himself and group of his friend would meet for card game once a week and what did I get from it a spot on my lungs that is still there today

3 of my children smoke and this is a horrible addiction with the ban here in Ireland we have got use to it.

I was in Spain a few weeks ago and smoking is still allowed in public places it was so strange to have people smoking around me I had a shower later on I could get the smell of cigs when washing my hair did not like smelling like an ash tray.

Everyone to their own as I see how addictive my children are to cigs. My youngest sister has disease of the lungs she is the only smoker in my family of 10 sibling. girl_witch

Kiran
April 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM
My mother smoked fairly light and yet she still got Emphysema! She was told give them up and you may live for another 20 years...don't and you'll be lucky to get another five years! Needless to say she did give up and we got to have her for longer :)
My oldest son smokes and my youngest has just given up, thank goodness as his father is seriously ill with a lung disease and is now waiting to get a lung transplant! As it turns out, it seems like a hereditary disease and two other family members have it now.

userid7
April 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM
....As most of you probably know smoking tabbacco started with the
American Indian, but was a scared herb...and as with all things sacred
abuseing them will lead to trouble - looking at it spritually, if you beleive
the spirit creates the body, tabbacco related illness may be the result
of the spirit of the plant opposing it's abuse and conflicting with your
own spirit.
I have been shown that the docile plant is a very clever disguise for what
is a very powerfull spirit, which may heal or which may kill.

P&L,
DangerBird

SoulChild
April 11th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Oh yeah, I recently saw a commercial onthe internet for organic cigarretts. the fact that it is organic will not get me to smoke again. Too hard to quit!

Shalott
April 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Oh yeah, I recently saw a commercial onthe internet for organic cigarretts. the fact that it is organic will not get me to smoke again. Too hard to quit!

I second that one. Both hubby and I quit smoking cold turkey shortly after we got married. We just couldn't justify wasting all that money on such a habit. It was the "easiest" thing to cut out of the budget. So we simply decided to not buy anymore. Unfortunately, my husband had nearly two months worth of cigarettes more than I did. So while I was going through all the withdrawl and hissy fits and what say you, he was still puffing away. Albeit he was doing it outside... but I could still smell it. By the end of the third week I was ready to kill someone or myself LOL But that seemed to be the climax of the quit and after that it got easier.. Then he quit in August of 2007 (I quit June 2007) when he ran out and we've been quit since then.

I don't want to go through that major headache again so not one puff EVER.

So far me alone has saved $3,796 by not smoking and that doesn't include Rob's.

Lotus Flower
April 15th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Just saying well done Shalott & Rob
for kicking the habit but be carefull never say never as this is an addiction my father stoped smoking during the time off 2nd world war never smoked again but my mother made up for it she enjoyed her smokes and was like a mad woman if she ran out and this woman was the most gentle soul and as a child could not understand her behaviour.

Well done again to you and the other half :Teambouncing::angel

Rana
April 22nd, 2009, 03:48 AM
thanks "lucid" ..im still going strong ..so far so good ..i had my session at work for the QUIT program and she said im a "behavioral" smoker (hmm) ..so shes going to get me to see the resident psycologist to devise some techniques to change my behavioral habits related to smoking ..thats next week ..i really am going to do this !!

userid7
April 23rd, 2009, 03:19 AM
I had a few visits to a phychologist, ummm
I really gotta say..and you don't ,of coarse, have to listen,
but really some of them are pretty off beat,
I will come down to simply your decision,ya know?
DangerBird.