PDA

View Full Version : The Ether Stream

Jester Black
February 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM
After what has been the longest hiatus Ive ever taken as Black Ether, we return with our first new composition in months...All Because of You

Big lush sound

http://www.myspace.com/blackether

Mr. Brightside
February 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM
Sounds epic Jay, love the sweeping music ,would sound awesome in a big concert hall/arena

well done :clap another masterpiece ;)

SoulChild
February 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM
I know....I added it to my Myspace playlist :) Way to go Jay! Great song :):girl_yes3 (1):

Jester Black
February 1st, 2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks guys. All Because of You has been months in the making, which is kind of unusual for me. I can usually pull out a song and totally produce it within hours. This one was tough from a lyric point of view and the key is not one I usually sing in and neither my high or tenort octives really suited it. It wasnt until I combined the 2 and pressed them through a filter that I got it to work. Theres a lot of personal meaning to this song...

Anyway, this is only one of 3 or 4 Ive had hanging round for months and its not the best by far. I have one called Sosalone that has hit potential all over it. Thats coming next.

Jester Black
February 3rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
well I decided to redo the vocal track. felt the fx was killing it. Did it straight up instead with just a touch of reverb. No filters. this is what i really sound like.

Rana
February 16th, 2009, 07:46 AM
..great piece ..great message ..im enjoying the instrumentals on this ..:thrasher:

SoulChild
February 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I want to hear your story about the inspiration for this song....:gathering:

Jester Black
February 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I want to hear your story about the inspiration for this song....:gathering:

My inspiration?

Well, it really doesn't work that way for me. Ive said in the past that the creative process for me is more like prayer than anything else and that i feel like a vessel by which art channels itself.

I wrote the music itself some time before I wrote the lyrics and I never write music with anything set in my mind. What I do is explore chord progressions until I hit something that strikes me and then i follow that. I let the songs sort of write themselves in that regard, trusting instinct to know when something needs to change. In this case i hopped on a 5-chord progression and just let that lead me where it would. There was nothing that I set out to explore per say. Something sounded good and I latched onto it.

Now the lyrical content is a little different. But again, I didnt really "frame" what I wanted to do. Basically what I did is just loop the music and kept laying down vocals randomnly until something stuck. No plan whatsoever. Now why would I do that? Because, quite frankly, I find that lyrics are a lot more genuine if you dont think about them and pretty much go at it just as you would in your everyday communications. The "real" you ends up in it and ultimately thats what I strive for, because its only there that you can really express yourself emotionally.

The lyrics really touch on a lot of separate, but related thoughts and basically its about how the person you are is often influenced by exterior influences. A mate, faith, things of that sort. The "you" isnt anyone specific and not all of it is positive if you really read the lyric. In some ways Im coming to terms with outside influences that are affecting my life right now and acknowledging their place in my world. It isnt a love song as some seem to think it is. It isnt a song about faith either as others have thought. Although both of those things played into it. But its really more about how I feel is shaped by the way others (both people and things) touch me and change the way I see the world.

Most artists try to paint a picture of something they've preconcieved. I don't do that at all. I go about it from the complete opposite end, preferring to allow my humanity take center stage as opposed to some kind of artistic goal. Ultimately, music is about our reflections of the world around us and that's a personal, subjective thing. But I also believe that thats why so many people comment of the emotional quality of my work. Making music thats underpinned by ambient leanings, such as the music I make, or that MC makes, can often come across as pretentious...unless you hold it close to your heart and make it an expression of who you are.

In so many ways, the "you" im referring to is actually myself.