PDA

View Full Version : Universalist Uniterian Church

Logio
December 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM
I read that this is a Church that encompasses other religions i.e. is tolerant of them. Any opinions?

http://i.treehugger.com/files/new_church_6.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism

I have always had mixed emotions concerning "shopping" for a church that fits my life and encompasses most of my beliefs. But I have to give pause because it seems a bit like being a fish out of water, because I have always been careful not to throw myself head first into any religion for fear that it may not be "The Truth" I know this may sound ridiculous to some who may say that "it doesn't matter what faith you are, because your spiritual path is your own." I guess I was reared to be mainly Christian, so I gravitate toward a Christian Church - not that I necessarily believe in it per se (in fact, I feel that much of the Bible seems myth and allegory to me), but that it is sort of a system that is logical to my spirit in one sense or another...Still there is a wondering that because I may not be a full believer, I am in, a way, a fraud.
Perhaps a sense of belonging should be good enough - so long as one realizes that the organization one is engaged in is not a cult, as most large religions of antiquity claim not to be. Perhaps Christianity has divided like cells, some cancerous some not.

Nathan

little bird
December 23rd, 2008, 01:19 AM
I'm glad you raised this topic. It's one I've thought quite a bit about in the past year. I treat religion quite seriously. I was raised a catholic but I no longer practice it. I do still consider myself to be a christian though but I follow the teachings of Buddha so it can seem a bit confusing.

When we became parents, Peter and I made a firm decision to allow our daughter to choose her own spiritual path. It's still really frowned upon not to baptise your baby into catholicism here. One of the things we thought about doing was a 'naming ceremony' in the Unitarian Church in Dublin. It looks like a great alternative but I'm still undecided if we're better off leaving it up to her when she is older if she wishes to follow a christian faith or not. A part of me felt like I was using it as an alternative just to satisfy family who felt we should baptise her in some way so it's off the table for now at least. It's tough though. 95% of schools here are run by the Catholic church and catholic children get preference in a very competitive line of school places. I've even heard of parents christen their children, just to get them into school.

But for those who do feel they'd like to have a christian blessing for their child, a Unitarian blessing seems to be quite a nice alternative.

Narnia
December 23rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
I'm glad you raised this topic.

Me too!

It's one I've thought quite a bit about in the past year. I treat religion quite seriously. I was raised a catholic but I no longer practice it. I do still consider myself to be a christian though but I follow the teachings of Buddha so it can seem a bit confusing.

Well, I think you're doing just fine dear Kiera! You're following a good path and you base your decisions off this path....:)

Even though my parents raised my sister and I, in a household without any religion (mind you my parents were born in 1938 and 1941, and raised in semi-religious households). Well, they still sent us off to Catholic school for our early years of schooling, because they believed, it was "safer" at the time compared to the public schools. Well, while attending Catholic school/masses, I could never understand the logic behind Catholicism, so my inner-self was never charmed by the religion. And, still remained in the mind set of not following any religion, [like I do still to this day. Because I believe, it is more important to believe in and have faith in ones-self, because ultimately, it's only you who can 'save' yourself].

Anyway, in the end, sending us to Catholic school proved to an expensive investment for my parents pocket and we ended up going to some fabulous public schools in our home town.

When we became parents, Peter and I made a firm decision to allow our daughter to choose her own spiritual path.

I think, this is one of the BEST decisions a parent can make regarding their childs future and ultimate shows respect for their child as an individual as well. :)

It's still really frowned upon not to baptise your baby into catholicism here.

You should be proud of yourself and of your joint decision as a couple/parents, and I commend you both for thinking outside the atmosphere and not "submitting to stupid rules".... :)

One of the things we thought about doing was a 'naming ceremony' in the Unitarian Church in Dublin. It looks like a great alternative but I'm still undecided if we're better off leaving it up to her when she is older if she wishes to follow a christian faith or not.

Hmmm, that sounds really interesting and I am curious to find out how your thoughts evolve in this decision...

A part of me felt like I was using it as an alternative just to satisfy family who felt we should baptise her in some way so it's off the table for now at least.

Yeah, I can understand the underlying pressure from family and what's to be expected, but that is a decision between you and Peter, she is your daugther and no one else's :)

It's tough though. 95% of schools here are run by the Catholic church and catholic children get preference in a very competitive line of school places. I've even heard of parents christen their children, just to get them into school.

See now, that's just wrong (the Catholic schools totally know what they are doing too!),...that those who are not Catholic don't get the same treatment....(this mentality has been practiced for centuries and is a tough one to beat), oh I have a major stipulation with this!

But for those who do feel they'd like to have a christian blessing for their child, a Unitarian blessing seems to be quite a nice alternative.

Well, that seems cool! :) I trully wish you and Peter and of course little toy (Seryn) the best! :)

messickc
December 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
As I understand it, here in The South:

They encompass all CHRISTIAN denominations. They aren't an all-religious-inclusive/agnostic society. They are still very much Christian. They happen to believe more loosely in the bible-- they see it more as a model by which one should live their lives to be considered a Christian, and not so much as the literal word of god.

So, Nathan, based upon what you said and my understanding of the Universalists, this may be a good fit for you.

Also, keep in mind "tolerant" doesn't mean "accepting."

Narnia
December 23rd, 2008, 11:10 PM
...For your information...

Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations

www.uua.org

ps: Very well said, Chris! :)

...Also, keep in mind "tolerant" doesn't mean "accepting."...

Logio
December 24th, 2008, 02:57 AM
As I understand it, here in The South:

They encompass all CHRISTIAN denominations. They aren't an all-religious-inclusive/agnostic society. They are still very much Christian. They happen to believe more loosely in the bible-- they see it more as a model by which one should live their lives to be considered a Christian, and not so much as the literal word of god.

So, Nathan, based upon what you said and my understanding of the Universalists, this may be a good fit for you.

Also, keep in mind "tolerant" doesn't mean "accepting."

Thank you very much, messickc and everone else here.
I realize that one need not necessarily need a organized religion to find one's spirituality, but that it may harmonize with one's love for not what man has necessarily made Christianity into, but with the relationship with the symbol of Christ and his teachings - just as I may also accept the teachings of the Buddha.

Of course I took a chance with this post...I was hoping that nobody here of another faith would not be offended in any way, because I realize that other people may have their faith, in which is their own truth.

Thank you everyone.

Your Liege,

Nathan

G-d or spirituality.

Rana
December 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM
i think that it in our nature to feel a need to be together natively we are reliant on this togetherness ,when we as humans lived only on the land we were actually intuitively dependent on each other we would have all had an important role to fulfill within our tribe or group however you look at it. in some way we would have told stories about our day what nature had presented ,the men may have discussed the time of the sunrise and when & where they would go fishing that day,the women may have discussed the crops they would be ready to sow,who would care for the children that day, the preparation of food would have brought out many wonderful stories ,the elders in the gropu would have shared similarities in the ways they did things ,these stories would have been made exciting when talking to the children.during these times a sense of spirit would have just simply been there ..without the purposful need to point out what it is they were discussing or doing ..if you feel the need or are drawn to a place at a time its your intuitive and primitive need and thats a good thing ..do what it is you feel you need to do ..but know that sometimes your needs can also be fulfilled by joining a gardening group or a bushwalking group and art class or a purpose filled spiritual discussion group ..spirit is everywhere ..just gravitate towards what it is you feel and youll not question it ..good luck xx

messickc
January 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Randomness:

Benjamin Franklin, along with several other founding fathers were Universalists...

I think.

I'll shaddup now.

Logio
January 6th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Randomness:

Benjamin Franklin, along with several other founding fathers were Universalists...

I think.

I'll shaddup now.

Never shaddup; always have a voice. :)

Nate

Logio
January 10th, 2009, 11:36 PM
http://www.harvesthope.uua.org/images2007/naomi.jpg

He he....I just read that Naomi King is Universalist Unitarian Minister - that's right, the daughter of the creater of 'Carrie' and 'Misery' (Stephen King), dons the cloth! :angel

http://www.lookingforfaith.org/blog/2007/rev-naomi-king-uses-stories-in-her-ministry

Nathan