PDA

View Full Version : The Myth of Eight Hour Sleep

Kiran
August 16th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Very interesting article on sleeping patterns!

http://www.larabriden.com/the-myth-of-the-8-hour-sleep/

Narnia
August 16th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Oh! Oh! Oh! I totally agree with this article!!

Our modern day society has become so structured that it absolutely ignores our instincts and it seems within the last few years or so people are realising that instinct can't be controlled hence all these by-product ailments many suffer from ...

It would be wise if our society would adapt and accommodate for our instinctual and fundamental ways.

God's Toy
August 21st, 2013, 06:27 PM
Yep I would agree. Well for myself anyway I can happily get 5 HRs a night, have done for years. Have woke up many times too when it's a lite sleep.
a cat nap does wonders when in times of need!

Narnia
August 22nd, 2013, 12:11 PM
a cat nap does wonders when in times of need!

Oh! Cat naps can sometimes be the very best rest ... and a little meditation can do wonders too ... as the Dalia Lama once said 'meditation is better than a nap!' - which is often very true! :girl_yes3 (1):

Lion Spirit Walker
August 25th, 2013, 12:54 AM
There are always exceptions to what is considered common or 'normal'. Such as during times of illness, chronic illness, the elderly, and the very young. Each having greater sleep requirements than even the 'normal' eight hours of sleep. But than even these groups have their exceptions.
I believe that it is ultimately a unique need/experience to the individual.

Kiran
August 26th, 2013, 09:55 AM
There are always exceptions to what is considered common or 'normal'. Such as during times of illness, chronic illness, the elderly, and the very young. Each having greater sleep requirements than even the 'normal' eight hours of sleep. But than even these groups have their exceptions.

Of course Michael. As with everything, there are always exceptions and people's own personal circumstances. I think the topic was more about how we as humans are being made to fit once again, into 'society's' model of what we are supposed to be and do, rather than what is natural for us according to the seasons and the like :two hearts:

Narnia
August 26th, 2013, 12:23 PM

You're absolutely right.

And to some degree we are all conditioned to sleeping some select hours during the night ... because our kind has evolved and has become more-or-less conditioned with and to the revolution of the Planet. When the Sun sets and rises ... the brain recognises this change and releases certain chemicals in the brain which starts the 'shut-down/sleep' process.

These structured hours .... 'society's' model' (as Lorri said) ..... we have implemented upon ourselves, are going against our natural instincts .... and therefore is showing its effects on individuals and collective groups.

There was a study conducted a number of years ago on why teenage boys perform 'poorly' i.e, sleep a lot, in early morning classes. You may have noticed yourself or recall back to the days of when you were in high school, many boys tended to be really sleepy in the morning, as if they had a late night and or were being lazy on purpose because they didn't care about the class - and in some sense they were being lazy on purpose, because their bodies need that extra rest period for the changes going on in their bodies and minds ... apparently the need for rest/sleep is greater in boys than in girls.

Also, there was another study done on the 'wake-up' period and can resemble the state of being drunk particularly the first 15mins .... this wake-up period ranges for each individual; some people can be fully awake within 30mins, where as for others it can take 3 hours to be fully awake.

This is a great topic ...

Narnia
September 4th, 2013, 10:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWULB9Aoopc

Anjou
September 17th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Also, there was another study done on the 'wake-up' period and can resemble the state of being drunk particularly the first 15mins .... this wake-up period ranges for each individual; some people can be fully awake within 30mins, where as for others it can take 3 hours to be fully awake.
This is a great topic ...

Oh, I see myself in that first remark. My current "wake-up" period is rather a woozy one, though it does not last particularly long.
In my young adulthood, I could wake up, prepare myself for work, and get out the door in less than an hour. That is not the case now.
I am unsure whether maturity has slowed me down or I am simply relishing the waking moments more.

God's Toy
September 18th, 2013, 06:26 AM
I'm also finding as this body gets older it's taking longer to fully wake up like I use to.
Now I wake up to a point where I can Drive safely but I know it will be still a few hours untill I 'feel' awake, alert and fully responsive.