PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Recipes!

Kiran
November 30th, 2012, 04:09 PM
After chatting with Rory about a new soup recipe I have tried, we both thought a cooking/recipe thread might be a good idea so here I am making a start.

This is Lorri's Mushroom Soup!
Mushroom and Tarragon Soup (half all amounts if just for you and you will get two good portions out of this!)
50 g Butter
1 Onion chopped
700g chopped mushrooms (you can have fun experimenting with different varieties of mushrooms)
850ml vegetable stock (Kallo are organic ones)
Teaspoon dried tarragon
150ml creme fraiche
pepper (and salt if used)
Melt half the butter in a large saucepan adding the chopped onion and cook gently for 10 mins to soften. Add remaining butter and mushrooms and cook for 5 mins till mushrooms are slightly softened.
Stir in stock and tarragon, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and leave to simmer gently for 20 mins. Take off the heat and put in blender. Add pepper (and salt if used) and creme fraiche. Reheat the soup gently stirring in the creme fraiche until hot. Serve immediately.

Kiran
November 30th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Lorri's Butternut Squish Squash!
Large Butternut Squash, peeled and diced and de-seeded
2 large carrots
2 large parsnips
1 Large onion
2 leeks
4 cloves garlic (optional)
1 pint vegetable stock
Black pepper
Teaspoon mixed herbs

Put stock into a large saucepan and add all the above. Bring to the boil and then lower the heat and simmer. The squash cooks fairly quickly so just watch the carrots and once they are soft enough to blend or mash, then its ready! Put through a blender and serve with some rustic crusty bread.

BlueStar
December 4th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Excellent Lorri, thanks for sharing. And what a cool thread, I love cooking. Gonna pop back to share some of my faves...maybe some festive faves ;)

Kiran
December 4th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Excellent Lorri, thanks for sharing. And what a cool thread, I love cooking. Gonna pop back to share some of my faves...maybe some festive faves ;)

And I will some more of mine too :) And a lot of them will be cheap but nutritious and filling :)

Kiran
January 9th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Sweet potato and carrot Soup
One large sweet potato peeled and cubed
2 or 3 carrots peeled and sliced
1 onion chopped
1 Parsnip peeled and sliced
3 or 4 cloves garlic
Ground black pepper to taste
Mixed herbs to taste
1 pint vegetable stock

Add everything into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 to 40 minutes (everything is soft enough to mash or blend).
Put in blender/food processor or mash until pureed, add a small knob of butter and enjoy!
This will make a couple of good size portions and will keep in air tight containers in the fridge for a day or two.

Kiran
January 9th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Roasted Mediteranean Vegetables

Small salad potatoes in thier skins
2 carrots peeled and sliced lengthwise
2 parsnips peeled and sliced lengthways
5 or 6 cloves garlic left in the skin (just trim the base/root off)
1 Red onion quartered
Whole mushrooms
red and yellow pepper deseeded and sliced

Drizzle some good olive oil into an oven dish and add some Herbs de Provence (or mixed herbs will do). Add potatoes, carrots and parsnips along with the garlic and place into the oven for about 30 mins on 180C. Once these are soft (you can put a knife into them) add the rest and drizzle a little more oil over the top and herbs and stir around.
Place back into the oven for about another 15 - 20 mins and take out and serve immediately.

Jordan
January 9th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Very nice thread! Thanks for all these excellent recipes!

Kiran
January 15th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Very welcome Jordan :)