PDA

View Full Version : Shift energy from the head down to the navel!

BlueStar
February 5th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I've long known the importance of what in Eastern philosophies and martial arts modalities is called the dantian, tan'tien, or hara -- which is located in the region of the navel and is basically the main energy centre for the body/energy field. It's seen as the seat of our being as well as the body's centre of balance.

In modern times, too much of our energy is focussed in the head, shoulders and neck, creating an energy imbalance that is reflected in all kinds of mental, emotional and psychological dysfunction. Our minds get out of control, our thoughts become compulsive and usually quite distorted and unbalanced -- and very often nervous disorders including stress and depression result. In Western culture this imbalance is so widespread it's considered the norm.

I've been practising shifting my energy from my head down into my dantian/navel - breathing into this area and centring my mind and attention there. initially I was just doing this in my yoga and qigong practise, but it also helps to make it a habit to do it as often as possible the rest of our day. It really does calm the mind, slow down and focus our thinking, balance the body and clear emotional constriction. It's also a great aid to meditation.

Worth trying. Let me know how you find it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IzHfAUJJR3Q/TLgpUnOBBwI/AAAAAAAAASA/3dJSUwJPPeQ/s1600/Dan+Tian.png

http://www.healingtaoretreats.com/images/dantian.alexgrey.ptng.jpg

Rana
February 6th, 2012, 12:09 PM
thankyou Rory: im going to do this regularily ( ive been focusing on the energy centers ( called Chakras by some) ) and im finding this to be an amazing feeling ..of course with everything new or different in focus it can and is feelign a little unco but .. great learning and esperimenting.

Lion Spirit Walker
February 6th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Feeling 'out of balance' with the recent illness and meds. I truly appreciate this reminder.
I'll be putting it into practise. Thank you BlueStar.

Narnia
February 6th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Funny, I've been focusing on strengthing my inner core both physically and mentally these last several weeks ... huh!? I have noticed differences ...

Thank you Rory for this wonderful post!

BlueStar
February 7th, 2012, 07:30 PM
It really does help, especially when we feel ourselves getting stressed, emotional or upset...I just imagine the 'seat of my consciousness' travelling down my spine from my head to my navel, do some full stomach breaths and keep my attention focused there. Recharges and rebalances, so simple! :)