PDA

View Full Version : Alternative treatment for babies

little bird
November 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
A subject close to my heart with a 1 year old at home but with her being in creche, she can come home with all sorts of ailments.

Friends of mine with babies similar in age have the same problem with coughs, colds, pain with teething and so on and I wondered if any of you had any alternative health ideas on how they could be remedied?

Kiran
November 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Chamomile tea is excellent for cranky teething babies!!! Give it to the baby warmish and with a little honey if needing to be sweetened. Another good one is Ashton and Parsons Teething Powders...I'm not sure if they can be bought in Ireland but they are basically powdered Chamomile and put dry on the baby's tongue. I used it when my boys were small and it was a god-send!

For gripes/colic - Fennel tea is excellent for this.

Coughs/Colds - Best to try and keep their immune systems up by breast-feeding as long as possible; giving baby vitamins; allowing them to have fresh air now and then no matter how cold it is outside (be surprised how many babies are wrapped up and never exposed to fresh air much!).
Also keep them away from people who have coughs/colds etc.

Will post some more as I get info.

Rana
November 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM
the best thing to use on bubs & tots when changing nappies is not to use the baby wipes all the time ( i used them when i was only out of the house) at home only face washers with water ..and olive oil instaed of any cream ..WILL keep nappy rash away ..and if by cance they get it at creche (because its difficult to explain to creche you want them to use olive oil) and they get nappy rash ..pouring olive oil on and wiping with a cotton bud etc WILL improve it over night..

when my girls get a cold ..i always make them a cup of regular tea (my nan always did it for us) if your lil one likes honey get the "active honey" from the natural shops and if their throats hurt give them a teaspoon of this to suck. cinnamon in tea will also bring temperature down.

you can also make your own icy pops and add your honey into them with natural fruit juice for their vit c (not too many other wise sugar rush )

i use olive oil on their wounds as well ..

little bird
November 6th, 2008, 08:57 AM
They are great suggestions. I got the teething powder tip from you Lorri when seryn was very small and up until she was about 7 months old, they were brilliant. Switched to their gel after that because Madam kept moving around when I was giving her the powder. Kept getting more on the face than in her mouth.

The olive oil idea is great. She has been teething really badly lately and it has given her really nasty nappy rash. The use wipes in the creche (daycare) but I tend not to use them at home when she has the rash. I use clean moist cotton wool and barrier cream but to be honest, not very affective. I'll try the olive oil.

I also agree that a wrapped up baby given a bit of fresh air is great. Used to send Seryn off to a deep sleep too and never did her any harm. She rarely gets ill thankfully and I think having that extra boost to her immune system helped

Thanks so much. Would love to hear more remedies for babies.

Kiran
November 6th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Will do Kiera. I'll look up a few I have at home and post them later on.
Baby massage is always good too...they love it and it helps their immune systems, sleep, everything!

little bird
November 6th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Seryn never stayed easy long enough for me to do it. I did start out doing it but because she was a winter baby, even indoors with the heating on, she got cold very easily and then when it got warmer, she was big enough to wriggle all over the place. Not a hope now. Pity. I wish I had persevered more.

Kiran
November 10th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Other nappy rash remedies:

Aromatherapy: Mix 2 drops each of essential oils of sandalwood, peppermint, and lavender in 4 tbsp of a carrier lotion or oil such as sweet almond oil; gently apply the lotion to the reddened area of skin. Do not use on babies younger than 2 weeks.

Herbal Therapies: Calendula cream may relieve Nappy Rash.

Could also use Rescue Remedy Cream and Aloe Vera Gel.

Kiran
November 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Use a 4 ounce cobalt bottle of distilled water, to which is added 4 or 5 drops of French Lavender, 4 or 5 drops of Bulgarian Lavender, and 2 drops of Sandalwood. Using the round cotton pads that are available through most beauty supply shops as 'wipers' the baby's bottom should heal and stay fresh and clean and comfortable. Since there is no alcohol or other solubilizer in this recipe, the bottle needs to be wellshaken before each use.