PDA

View Full Version : Please sign this to help save 200,000 seals

BlueStar
December 9th, 2010, 03:23 PM
A recent report brought to light a proposal prepared for the Government of Canada that would see 220,000 grey seals killed and incinerated in their protected Sable Island nursery.

To reach the proposed number of 220,000 seals, the cull and disposal program would run at birthing time each year for about five years and cost Canadian taxpayers an estimated $35 million.

Please urge the Canadian government to categorically reject this outrageous proposal.

Sign our petition today to ensure that Sable Island's grey seal population is spared this sickening slaughter, and that the island remains a protected habitat for seals.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/campaign.faces?siteId=3&campaign=IFAWSableIsland&ThirdPartyClicks=ETA_120210_IFAWSableIsland_F

Thank you for helping

Anjou
December 9th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Done, Rory. Thanks for sharing this.

Honestly, this rather sickens me.
I am positive that there are other means for the Canadian government to address any real overpopulation issues.
A sentence of death and incineration is simply vile. :not_happy

Kiran
December 10th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Done Rory.

Lion Spirit Walker
December 10th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Done. In my personal comment I asked where such killing stops, and if humans should also be killed as a way of controlling the population.?. Hmmmm.

BlueStar
December 10th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks guys! I really have issues with Canada over this continued barbarism!

Lion Spirit Walker
December 12th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I do completely agree that it is a 'practise' that should come to an end.
My dear friend Rory, just a simple reminder, not all Canadians behave this way.
A good case in point, Sarah McLachlin is a strong animal rights advocate.

BlueStar
December 12th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I do completely gree that it is a 'practise' that should come to an end.
My dear friend Rory, just a simple reminder, not all Canadians behave this way.
A good case in point, Sarah McLachlin is a strong animals rights advocate.

You are right of course :) When I refer to Canada I specifically mean its government and policy makers. Although of course the Canadian voters also have responsibility in this, Im not sure how much of a political issue this is or how much drive there is within Canada to make change. But no, I would never tar everyone with the same brush. Thanks everyone for participating

Lion Spirit Walker
December 14th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Point taken my dear friend.
Here in the USA the 'average' citizen does have a strong voice with regard to the treatment of animals, both demestic and wild life. I'm reminded of the sealions that make their home on the docks of the San Fransico Bay. The fisherman were complaining about the sealions being an annoyance. So the State (CA.) tried to capture all the sealions and relocate them south of the San Fransico Bay area. Well the sealions made their way back, and then the suggesting was made to shoot the animals. After the public outroar over the situation, it was deside that the fishermen were just going to have to learn to live with the animals.