PDA

View Full Version : Mental Illness v. Psychic Conflict

Lion Spirit Walker
December 2nd, 2010, 01:01 AM
By definition, everyone experiences mental illness to one extent or another according to psychology/psychiatry.
The point at which it becomes a clinical diagnosis is "when it is harmful or disruptive to the individual and/or society."
I've been aware of this for a number of years.
One thing which comes to mind when you consider everyone experience mental illness, is the very real possibility that subconsciously if not psychically we understand something is very wrong with the world.
The expectations that are placed upon us and those which we place upon ourselves are triggering this effect. It's as if our mind is screaming at the frontal lobes, "This is sooooo wrong."
I have quite a few more thoughts regarding this issue. But for now I'll leave it as is. Our psychic Self is screaming it's the world, not us.
Hmmm.....

BlueStar
December 2nd, 2010, 12:05 PM
This could be a most interesting topic! I'm certainly aware that very often there's a fine line between what might be considered 'insanity' and 'enlightenment'. If I'm to use a Matrix reference, we have the choice between the red pill and the blue pill. But the red pill (waking up to reality) can be a bitter pill to swallow. We see that the way we are living as a species (or even as an individual) is disconnected and inauthentic. There are paradoxes galore. One of the biggest paradoxes is that yes, there are so many terrible things wrong in the world and in the warped collective psyche - and yet also, since everything is an expression of the One, then everything is also perfect. That's a tough one to balance, the seeming paradox of imperfection/perfection. But geez that's a whole other topic.

Yeah, 'mental illness' is very common and a significant proportion of the population are medicated for depression, anxiety, etc. I even read that so many people are on prozac that traces of it can be found in the water supply! We need to get to the source of this fundamental unease and treat it at its source. It must be a message for us.

Rana
December 2nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
this state of "disconnection " and that can be disconnected to either that causes the sufferer or reveller to be disconnected from their true selves by being physically bound to the workings of their bodies and its chemical imbalances. or an inner gladness that they are moreso connected to their spiritual realms more easily because they are chemically imbalanced and it is those chemicals that prevent humanity from "letting go" physically .
we are in the same boat here on Earth we are all out of touch for some reason or the other chemically imbalanced or physically disconnected either way both cause a state of disharmony. is someone who has millions of doillars and socially wanting isolation from the greed within their minds someone who chooses never to help others or be on a spiritual path better off than someone termed as having a mental illness ..i see no gap ..
ive discussed this before and am passionate about this because i have close friends who have clinical depression, have had a long term partner with paranoid schizophrenia and have worked in the field with individuals ..they like anyone else feel a general sense of un happiness and loss of control in their life , with their individual perfect management and whatever that is for them ( i wont go into treatments im not a doctor or natural practioner) can live happy lives .. but my point here is everyone is suffering something ..when we live here on Earth we are all disconnected in some way ..

Rana
December 2nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
..and to clarify .my long term partner is an ex

Narnia
December 2nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
Oh dear I am sooo unconventional ....

For me ... the Human Mind in a collective state ... it is broken down into 3 parts ...

1. Enlightened - Aware. ( a blend of deep and surface)
2. The Mentally Disturbed - totally disconnected to anything and from everything. (way into the deep end)
3. Surface Rider Insanity - every day people plodding along in Life like mindless sheep and cows and thinking nothing of it. (just riding the surface)

Number #2 and #3 are equal in weight ... just different objects.

Ultimately ... it is all about balance, being Aware and being at 'home' with ones-true-self.

Just my humble perspective ...

ps: excellent topic by the way ... me likey likes! :)

inspirit
December 3rd, 2010, 08:22 AM
Deciding to walk one's Spiritual path can be a difficult road to walk. For one it is hard to actually look deep within to become self aware and it many times can be an unconventional path,we all have our own. I know for me there are times I feel depressed because I feel like I am ot making any progress on my path but these feelings go away almost as quick as they come. Try to talk to any medical professional and tell them you can hear what your Guides, Higher Self is telling you. I was lucky to have found a psychologist who did understand what I was saying and did not label me insane. From those whom I have assisted I have found a common theme of low self esteem, and many feel alone and misunderstood. That in turn can lead to bigger issues such as deep depression, suicidal thoughts, feelings of detachment.

That is why I feel it is important for those of us on whatever life path to reach out and try to assist one another, these types of forums are great for this. It gives an individual a place to feel welcomed. mho

BlueStar
December 3rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
I'm loving reading your insightful and thought-provoking responses. I love the way you describe the three categories Polly and can very much relate to that.

I think it's such a complex thing, there are so many different variables that might contribute to what is deemed 'mental illness' or 'psychic conflict': environmental, stress caused by situations/circumstances, biological (chemical imbalances, ill health), genetic influences, conditioning and thought patterns (a major influence - the way we see and interpret reality, often unconsciously). I feel I have more to say, but not now - head sore! :P

Narnia
December 3rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Can you imagine a World where people could just ... 'Be' ... no rules, no laws, no labels, no 'no's' ... etc

*leaves room shaking her head at the wonder of it, given the chance for it to evolve into a place of balance with the Universe .... wow*

ps: oh thank you sweetheart ... that is so very kind of you! :)

Lion Spirit Walker
December 3rd, 2010, 07:35 PM
Each of you have brought up some very valid points of interest.
Anarchos is Greek for 'without a leader'.
Ugh..... I have a train of thought regarding this, all interconnected. But due to time constraints I need to wait to post my thoughts.
So I'll be back to this shortly.

Kiran
December 3rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Long time ago people were not labelled, were not pumped with prozac or similar....they were regarded as the visionaries, the seers and such like. They were the medicine men and women of old. If humans only on average use 15 - 20% or less of their brains most of them time....then what is the rest for? We have the largest super computer in our heads and who is to say that abilities such as we often speak here about are NOT the norm?
Who decided what was 'normal'...stable?
Yes people who live with family members and loved ones today with mental health problems have my utmost admiration... some of you know I have family members as Rana mentioned with issues. And yet....is not society increasing the levels of mental health problems with the additional pressures we all put ourselves under?
We have all chosen at some level to be on the path we are on....to live with a foot in each world is difficult and yes, some people do not manage it well due to no fault of their own, so how do the rest of us manage?
As inspirit said sites like this that allow us to share....as the tribal elders would have done once around the campfire....people are too isolated and insulated these days and I feel that doesn't help.
Just my tuppence worth

Narnia
December 3rd, 2010, 09:09 PM
Wonderful post Lorri! :)

Lion Spirit Walker
December 4th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Three thoughts are coming to mind, each intercennected with the others.
1) Social Conditioning. Although we are social animals, the society in which we live is unnatural to us. We must be conditioned to live as we do.
2) Inequality. This unnartual society in which we live exist in a state of perpetual inequality. My social status is, there fore I am my social status.
3) Our closest living non-human relatives according to DNA are the Bonobos and the common chimpanzees. Both are equally as close to us. They are of the same geinus and yet they are two distinct species. With Bonobos it is the females who lead. With the common chimpanzees it is the males. I bring this up due to the fact that we are the only species of our geinus. Isn't it possible that we are neither male nor female dominant as a species? But rather Both.
We are conditioned to be unequal on all levels.
Maybe there was a time long ago in our evolutionary history that required such inequality to insure the survival of the species. But we are no longer that species. We've evolved, we've grown into a species that is nothing like our ancesteral species.
Yet another contribution to the psychic conflict.
We are not herd animals, yet we act as if we were. We have males in positions of power. Yet females are equally adept at maintaining such positions. And through conditioning we except what is untrue to be true.
Obviously there is much more to share here. This issue is as vast as humanity.

Lion Spirit Walker
December 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM
An additional note regarding the two species of the pan geinus, our closest relatives.
One species engages in extreme violence and intimadation to settle discrepancies and strengthen bonds (allies) within their groups. The other engages in casual sex, including homosexuality to settle discrepancies and strengthen bonds within their groups.
If you don't already know the first are the common chimpanzees. The second are the bonobos.