PDA

View Full Version : born between 1920-1979?

SoulChild
November 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM
THOSE BORN 1920-1979

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants &children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.And we were OK.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet or chat rooms.......

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good .

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Narnia
November 26th, 2008, 06:32 PM
HE-HEE! Thanks for sharing SoulChild!!

You know, I look around at kids and parents of today and sometimes I think, *Mann! Kids today are too pampered and have it way too good today!*

Eh, oh well! We live and learn...right?! :)

Mr. Brightside
November 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

lol might not be a good idea SC

Sounds like me childhood alright, :D

God's Toy
November 28th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I did like that, yep I agree kids have it too easy now!

Kiran
November 28th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Hmm was like looking over my childhood looking at your post!!! lol
I see my kids today (well young men now!) and I tried to let them loose when they were smaller but many of my friends really cossetted thier kids.

mary
November 30th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Soo true Soulchild you're so right, it wasn't easier to grow up back then though, I was born in 1979, I had to learn to survive practically on my own, since I was 6 years old my mom had to work all day long, but I can't deny I was happier, braver, more adventurous, more daring, I had so much fun above my house rooftop, exploring the world around me and trying to understand the world I was living in.

I remember this one time a stole an egg from my mom's kitchen because I wanted to rescue an unborn chiken, I kept it hidden below a blanket a week or so, while I waited I was happy, till it disappear and I thought it was born so I spent the rest of day looking for it everywhere, at night I realized that my brother sat on it and my mother had to wash the blanket and I started to cry when she told me that, cause I was thinking I failed miserably, so my mom explained it to me... the eggs that we bought weren't meant to be born, it took me a while to understand it, because I already had plans for the pet that never was.

Those were the days were everything was an amazing discovery that we experienced first hand.
But I can't deny either I like it now too, because of this thing called internet we have nowadays, I cannot even imagine not being able to connect, it is just another way to interact with each other, just try to make the best of it is an adventure itself.

Mr. Brightside
November 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I remember this one time a stole an egg from my mom's kitchen because I wanted to rescue an unborn chiken, I kept it hidden below a blanket a week or so, while I waited I was happy, till it disappear and I thought it was born so I spent the rest of day looking for it everywhere, at night I realized that my brother sat on it and my mother had to wash the blanket and I started to cry when she told me that, cause I was thinking I failed miserably, so my mom explained it to me... the eggs that we bought weren't meant to be born, it took me a while to understand it, because I already had plans for the pet that never was. .

thats so sweet stresslessgirl, waiting for your very own chicken to arrive under your blanket then hunting for it lol, made me smile thinking about it ;)

Narnia
November 30th, 2008, 07:24 PM
thats so sweet stresslessgirl, waiting for your very own chicken to arrive under your blanket then hunting for it lol, made me smile thinking about it ;)

I agree with you Gollum....stresslessgirl, that is a beautiful story, thank you so much for sharing that! :biggrin

little bird
November 30th, 2008, 11:31 PM
That's a great post Soulchild.

I was born in 1981 so even though I'm from the bubble-wrapped generation, my mother had much more traditional methods of parenting and so I can identify with a lot of what was mentioned. I thank my mother for that upbringing as I learned how to look after myself. I am very much of the same thoughts with parenting Seryn and will continue to let her find her way in the world with the support and guidance from Peter and me to help her along the way. However, in saying that, we live in a different time with more untrustworthy people in this world and so we are unable to be so liberal with parenting like we used to. And that is a sad thought but a truthful nonetheless.

Amazing to see it put into perspective though so thank you for posting it.

mary
December 1st, 2008, 02:14 PM

I agree with you Gollum....stresslessgirl, that is a beautiful story, thank you so much for sharing that! :biggrin

Thank you both, I'm glad this childhood story of mine caused that effect :girl_blush2, have a bunch of stories like that, when I was innocent that was a long long time ago.

Anjou
February 14th, 2011, 03:22 PM
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet or chat rooms.......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

In addition, we read books!
I well remember summers when, if playmates were not about---or it was too hot to run around for long---I would take a book, sit under a shade tree, and allow my imagination to take me to faraway places. When I think about, I seldom see young people reading books in public (except at the public library). Given life's cycles, though, perhaps one day I will spy a child or teen-ager under a shade tree, smiling at an electronic book (maybe even a "book" book). I hope so. :reading

Lion Spirit Walker
February 14th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I love your post dearest Soul Child. Very wonderful reading and the memories that came rushing up from within myself. Some of which I hadn't thought of in decades. Some very good, some not so.
I do feel the need to add how although technology has dramatically changed things, it's still a matter of 'some very good, some not so.'
There is much more stress now than before. For both parents and children. And has always been the case, not everyone deals with stress well.
Children commit more suicide now than once was the case. Parents become so stressed they actually kill there children, or abuse them in other ways.
School aged children and young adults treat one another abusively and without mercy. To the extent of causing the abused child to loose it and go on a mass killing spree.
One news story I heard broke my heart. It envolved a bit of 'modern technology', a microwave oven. A father was so stressed while his infant child was crying...hmm...(still brings tears to my eyes).. that he put the baby in the microwave and turned it on for 10 minutes.
Forgive me please...

Lion Spirit Walker
February 14th, 2011, 10:53 PM
On a happier note... If it weren't for our current technology, I would have never met any of you. Let alone have the wonderful relationships I have now.