PDA

View Full Version : The GREEN Thread :) Old electronics / e-waste /

Samael
November 1st, 2010, 03:26 AM
How long do you guys keep your "small" electronics? I keep my phones for about 2 years and now that I think about it, its scandalous, so many unnecessary resources will be wasted recycling it and also a lot of money was spent for now that I think about it nothing special.

Also, I was thinking about getting a new iPod for this Christmas, but decided not to. My 3 year old Classic works great and that money would be better spent buying something special for my parents births-days (2 weeks before Christmas, few days apart) and taking them out to dinner or something.

What I'm trying to say is that, I think we could and we can solve a lot of out eco problems and still lead rich lives by just making a few smart choices, which I think are very small and insignificant. Keep your power heater on eco setting, change your light-bulbs to energy efficient ones, keep your small electronics longer, etc. Added benefit is that, we will not be victims of stupid consumerism, but participants in smart consumerism which I think is a good thing.

I have a few years old mobile phone, its SE K750i, its still in good condition, but it collects dust. I decided to give it away, will buy a new SIM card, give it 20 euros credit, put it in a nice new box and take it to an orphanage, I'm sure there is a deserving kid there who would use a boost and a nice day.

What do you guys do to be more green ?

BlueStar
November 1st, 2010, 01:02 PM
Cool thread! (I think it might be good in the Be the Change forum, what do the other mods think?)

The amount of waste we make in our culture is crazy and a lot of it is on small (and sometimes big) electronics. They have become so disposable it's insane! I used to take full advantage of my phone contract and get my allotted handset upgrade every year. Now I've settled down with my iphone 3gs I don't have the desire to have any other phone, no matter how much it gets updated or how fast it becomes obsolete. It just does everything I want it to and is easy to use, so when my contract ends (even the best contracts are still a bit of a con, for me at least as I don't make many calls), I will get a pay as you go card and just stick with what I've got. I just don't feel the need to keep upgrading.

I think that with the economy as it is, consumerism is going to be a big casualty. Because we can't afford so much we'll maybe learn to be content with what we have. New stuff might give us a short-lived kick, but the excitement wears off so darn quickly and it just gets transferred to the next big thing. Not that there's anything wrong with this if it's what people want, of course, but I do think when the purse strings tighten we come to realise that we need far less than we previously thought. It's all good.

God's Toy
November 1st, 2010, 02:26 PM
Yep Rory, I agree and it was moved into that forum (not by me)

Regards mobile phones, there are many mobile phone recycling places online or at drop off points all over Ireland and I would think across Europe at least that will take any phone (as long as it works) and re-use it in third world countries. I really feel this should be supported more than they are but so many people don't know they are there and so the phone ends up in the bin.

BlueStar
November 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM
Every so often you see places you can send old phones and the money goes to charity, but I haven't seen much of this for a while. You're right it would be a good idea for them to publicise this more. I just realised where most of my old mobile phones went, haha, hand-me-downs to my mum and dad! So i guess that's recycling too :D

Samael
November 1st, 2010, 04:47 PM
The reason I used phone as an example is because its closest to me, what I was thinking at the moment, but that is true for most things in life we take for granted and we do waste a lot for nothing.. Also, a lot of things are momentary fads, like a Tablet Computers that are popular at the moment.. For me, only Windows based tablets are real computers, everything else is just bigger cell phone and yet again you have to pay for yet another data plan.. One internet plan for home internet, another one for phone and a third one for tablet, NO WAY ! :D Same can be said for food wasting, but I can proudly say that in family, we don't, my mom was always very "loud" about that :)

One more thing that comes to my mind is what people call "hardware lust", buying appliances or even better example computers they don't need.. Most people who buy above 1000 euros computers, would be much more happy with netbook or resonable notebook + nintendo Wii :)

Every so often you see places you can send old phones and the money goes to charity, but I haven't seen much of this for a while. You're right it would be a good idea for them to publicise this more. I just realised where most of my old mobile phones went, haha, hand-me-downs to my mum and dad! So i guess that's recycling too

My dad never liked having to have a mobile.. He has a company phones since the 90s, but he never liked using them.. My mom on the other hand has sisters old phone, but screen is to small and buttons are to small for her and language is a problem, so I decided to buy her a new phone and she can keep the old one as backup.. I decided to get her NOKIA 7320.. Its loud, has a nice screen and buttons, plus she can have any language she likes.. I'm sure she will be using it for a long, long time and its a smart move.. Yes, I'm getting her a pink one, already bought pink and silver box and some silk-like material as a padding (all together less then 30 cents, I was shocked).. There is a joy in giving, more then just consuming and wasting.. Or its just THAT TIME of the year when Christmas is close :) I feel so happy around Christmas, its crazy :)

http://www.gadgetfolder.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/nokia-7320-1.jpg

BlueStar
November 1st, 2010, 07:36 PM
There is a joy in giving, more then just consuming and wasting.. Or its just THAT TIME of the year when Christmas is close :) I feel so happy around Christmas, its crazy :)

http://www.gadgetfolder.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/nokia-7320-1.jpg

Totally the right attitude! :) I agree completely. I love Christmas too. Everyone complains about it being pointless and expensive and just about consumerism, and it may be for many people...but I think life is what we make it. I choose not to let it be about that for me. I see it as a time for giving (not just possessions and gifts, but giving your time and being there for people). But that's a completely different discussion I guess!

As for this discussion, I agree that simplifying is a good thing to do for ourselves and the environment. I remember that Mother Teresa quote: "live simply, so that others can simply live." I find it fun and quite freeing to declutter every so often and give away the stuff I don't use.

They also say that whenever we buy something new, it's good to give away or sell on something we already have. That way there's a kind of balance and we're actually creating the space for new things.

Lion Spirit Walker
November 1st, 2010, 07:47 PM
I'm sorry I hadn't seen this thread until now.
It certainly makes more sense to recycle where ever possible. And especially with electronic equipment.
I've had an old (anolog) television and an old computer in storage waiting for the opportunity to take them to a recycling center. It something I would have done long ago, but with my 'disability' being as it is I have to realy on others for transportation.
One bit of news I had recently heard was how here in the USA they are making it a mandate to convert all light fixtures and bulbs to the high effiicientcy flourecent light bulbs. But even those will require special recycling due to the chemicals contained within them. But it is one step in the right direction.
Good thread.

Samael
November 1st, 2010, 08:50 PM
I'm sorry I hadn't seen this thread until now.
It certainly makes more sense to recycle where ever possible. And especially with electronic equipment.
I've had an old (anolog) television and an old computer in storage waiting for the opportunity to take them to a recycling center. It something I would have done long ago, but with my 'disability' being as it is I have to realy on others for transportation.
One bit of news I had recently heard was how here in the USA they are making it a mandate to convert all light fixtures and bulbs to the high effiicientcy flourecent light bulbs. But even those will require special recycling due to the chemicals contained within them. But it is one step in the right direction.
Good thread.

Yes, they contain some materials that need special treatment, but energy efficient light bulbs have long life span, in about average 6 years (regular are in about 1 year or something) and they do save a lot of power.. Also, new energy efficient light bulbs have natural light, same as the old coil ones..

If they still work (TV and computer), you can always call Salvation Army (I'm assuming you live in the US)

Lion Spirit Walker
November 2nd, 2010, 12:52 AM
True with regard to donating these items I have in storage. I very much appreciate the suggestion and think I'll reset my focus on doing just that. Tyvm.

God's Toy
November 2nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
If they still work (TV and computer), you can always call Salvation Army (I'm assuming you live in the US)

Or the UK and Ireland, in fact I think they are International now at this point. I have worked with them in the past and have lots of time for the good cause. I would ask all those that can give to them to do so.

Samael
November 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Or the UK and Ireland, in fact I think they are International now at this point. I have worked with them in the past and have lots of time for the good cause. I would ask all those that can give to them to do so.

I found out by accident that they will come to collect donations while watching one episode of Hoarders.. They do great service to the people..

SoulChild
November 4th, 2010, 03:37 AM
remember to remove your hard drives from computers when recycling. =))

Samael
November 4th, 2010, 03:41 AM
remember to remove your hard drives from computers when recycling. =))

Can't they also be recycled ? If they still work they can be reused..

SoulChild
November 4th, 2010, 04:52 AM
sure! But some people here in the US takes their electronics to retailers to be recycled, but retailers can't be liable for customers complaints regarding privacy.

Samael
November 4th, 2010, 02:13 PM
sure! But some people here in the US takes their electronics to retailers to be recycled, but retailers can't be liable for customers complaints regarding privacy.

I see, didn't really thought of that.. Well, I guess you could always physically damage hard-drive before taking it to recycling, just be careful :)

Narnia
November 4th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Yep ... here is the US there are several options available to recycle/refurbish/reuse one's out-of-date electronics .... many electronic stores will take batteries, phones, pc's and what-have-you ...

As for the pc/personal info ... I'd take my personal pc to a pc shop, have everything transferred to a disc, get the old unit back and then take a magnet to it ... to be sure everything was deleted and then recycle it, by either taking it to a store or the local dump (which they handle the recycle part)! :)

Paul (my boyfriend) calls me the 'Recycling Queen' :)