PDA

View Full Version : Delerium - Voice ( An Acoustic Collection)

planetlove
August 27th, 2010, 11:41 PM
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/preorder/voice-an-acoustic-collection/id383989261

planetlove
September 29th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Voice: An Acoustic Collection features serene interpretations of Delerium's most successful singles, including "Silence" (featuring Sarah McLachlan), "Lost And Found” (featuring Jael), “Innocente” (featuring Leigh Nash), and "Flowers Become Screens" (featuring Kristy Thirsk). The album also includes 3 brand new songs in the acoustic style: "Too Late Farewell” (featuring Butterfly Boucher), "Send Me An Angel" (featuring Miranda Lee Richards) and “Vienna” (featuring Elsiane).

Drawing up a closing thought on this exciting new project Delerium’s Bill Leeb reflects, “Voice is an ethereal passage to music drawn from its purest form of serenity.”

Full Track Listing:

1. Send Me An Angel (featuring Miranda Lee Richards)*
2. Dust In Gravity (Acoustic) (featuring Kreesha Turner)
3. Too Late, Farewell (featuring Butterfly Boucher)*
4. Silence (Acoustic) (featuring Sarah McLachlan)
5. Innocente (Acoustic) (featuring Leigh Nash)
6. Vienna (featuring Elsiane)*
7. Lost And Found (Acoustic) (featuring Jael)
8. Flowers Become Screens (Acoustic) (featuring Kristy Thirsk)
9. Love (Acoustic) (featuring Zoe Johnston)
10. After All (Acoustic) (featuring Jael)
11. Orbit of Me (Acoustic (featuring Leigh Nash)
12. Touched (Acoustic) (featuring Rachel Fuller)

* Never before released tracks

planetlove
October 6th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Got My disc ....Did you ?

BlueStar
October 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM
What do you think of it V?

I must admit I listened to the samples online and did not like them at all. I guess I'm not a great fan of acoustic music in general and I never quite get why artists create these acoustic version albums, except to spin more money out of existing material without having to do too much work. The new songs don't sound very interesting to me, and I really didn't like 'Dust in Gravity'...so I will save my money for Conjure One I think.

planetlove
October 11th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Its Ok ..as like a new seed in the earth this album will grow in time .......

mary
October 29th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I love this album entirelly, specially those 2 new tracks (Too Late, Farewell and Send Me An Angel) and Love acoustic version

Jester Black
October 30th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I havent heard this album yet so I cant really comment on it.

However, in response to Rory's question as to why artists make acoustic versions albums.....there are a lot of reasons and you may have hit on one in this particular case. Butr generally speaking, because it makes for a much more intimate setting. Before Black Ether, I spent some 17 years with Positive Vision Movement (PVM). PVM was generally known as an intense progressive outfit that had a monster huge sound. But every March, we would do something called Acoustic Rendezvous. Acoustic Rendezvous was the first show we would do each year after a 3 month layouff from December to February. It was our way to reconnect with our fan base in an intimate setting. A sort of way to step down from that rock star perch to a much more human level. Generally speaking, the acoustic versions tended to touch people in a much more emotional way than the full productions did. I think theres an illusion of simplicity that brings them down to the masses and it reminds me personally of the song circles I experienced at Woodstock in 69. Or perhaps the drum circles people do today. The truth is theres nothing simple about "acoustic" and in fact, its much less forgiving. But I personally loved it as it spoke to the musician in me as opposed to the producer.

I recently attended a Porcupine Tree show at Radio city where they opened with a small acoustic set of 6 songs before they reconfigured the stage for the full Porcupine Tree experience. That whole night was magical, but that acoustic set at the beginning was nothing short of special and really set the tone for an audience that felt it had become part of the show.

And thats what EVERY musician tries to achieve. Art over matter, and songs, for all their glitz and polish, are in the end, simple expressions of the human conscience and acoustic emphasizes that in a way "electric" cant.

A great example of this is The Mission's Kingdom Come, which was originally released on the Children album and then later re-released as an acoustic version on Grains of Sand. The difference in the "feel" of the song on the acoustic version is remarkable and makes for a very special recording.

planetlove
October 31st, 2010, 04:03 PM
i must say this album is simply beautiful...love the arrangements on all tracks

BlueStar
October 31st, 2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the insight Jay, I think you're right - a good performer sitting alone on a stage with say only a guitar can convey an extremely human, emotional resonance. I don't feel much compulsion to listen to acoustic music out of choice (at the moment I'm only really interested in deep, chilled multi-layered electronic instrumentals for whatever reason), but when it comes to performing, I think acoustic can convey real emotion and intimacy. I went to see Madonna's last tour and as elaborate and spectacular as it was, the most beautiful and touching moment was when she sat on the stage with an acoustic guitar and sang 'You must love me'. Lovely performance, completely stripped down.

I may have to check out the Delerium album at some point V. Still enjoying Conjure One.

Samael
November 1st, 2010, 05:02 PM
I'm not a big fan of Delerium, well not really a fan at all, but I did listen to this collection and I LOVE IT :) I really enjoy this album, love most of the songs.. I loved Too Late (wonder why it was never released), Vienna and Innocent :)

BlueStar
November 1st, 2010, 07:19 PM
Really glad you guys loving it. I finally listened to it and I'm afraid it didn't do anything for me. The new songs are OK but pretty forgettable. There are a lot of artists out there doing this style of music now and many a lot better. Hopefully they'll step it up for their next proper album though. This just seems like a little stop-off. 'Too Late, Farewell' is the best track I think and is quite nice.

The acoustic versions aren't bad, and its nice to hear some newly recorded vocals for some of them, although none of them improve on the originals. The reason I'm not gonna buy the album is that if I wanted to listen to the song I very much doubt I'd listen to the acoustic versions when I could listen to the originals, which were much richer and more powerful. The best one for me was 'Flowers Become Screens' simply because Kristy Thirsk sings her socks off! She is awesome. I may purchase this track alone. Ohh yes, I also liked 'Love'.

The new version of 'Silence' is a bit lame and it surely must be one of the most remixed and over-exposed songs in history. I don't really know why 'Touched' and 'Orbit of Me' were included - I didn't think they were very popular Delerium tracks: I certainly didn't like the originals and the acoustic versions are no better.

I don't mean to spoil to for anyone else. It's certainly not bad, it's just not for me. I'm glad I listened before I bought it and I'd recommend that others do likewise. Hopefully Delerium will put out a proper album in the not too distant future and can restore my faith :)

PS I just read that and realised I sound like a complete misery guts. Oh well. :P

Samael
November 1st, 2010, 08:38 PM
I thought the same thing when I sow Silence on the list.. It is a nice version, but album could do without this song...