PDA

View Full Version : Music through the Ages........The Sixties

Mr. Brightside
November 24th, 2008, 02:23 AM
The Sixties

http://logo.cafepress.com/7/6330175.2821077.jpg

The Swinging Sixties, the decade of change, Kennedy, Woodstock, Carnaby Street, The Moon Landings, Flower Power, It was also a great period in musical history There was some very influential and talented groups about. I personally was not into music at this time (well I was, but seen as I was only 2 when the sixties ended I was probably more into the theme tune of Bill And Ben The flower Pot men :) But I grew up with a lot of 60s music, My parents were into The Beatles, The Stones, Elvis, The Mamas and The Papas and I grew to love a lot of the music of the era.

Artists I have come to love over the years

Jimmy Hendrix
I only really got into him when I grew up, Are You experienced is one amazing album, One of my favourite records of all time is his version of “All along the watchtower” simply mind blowing.

The Beatles
I adore St Pepper, It came out a few months before I was born, Its still my favourite Beatles album

Elvis
I grew up listening to a lot of Elvis, still listen to a him now and again in a fit of nostalgia.

The Mamas and The papas, The Doors, Del Shannon I could go on.....

I was also into a lot of 60s Motown/ Soul for a while, Love Gladys knight and the Pips and The Four Tops

Some of my favorite tracks from this period

3rd stone from the sun – Jimi Hendrix
Turn, Turn, Turn – The Byrds
California Dreamin' - The Mamas & the Papas
White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
Eve of Destruction - Barry McGuire
Still water – The Four Tops
Gladys Knight – Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me

I was born just after the summer of love, October 1967 (The Autumn of Love :D) I have always been drawn to this era and its music more than any other decade since, What do you think of 60s music, did you experience it it at the time, what was it like? what are your favorite artists/tracks from this period.

Genesis
November 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Greets Gollom!
So your a sixties child? Nifty!
Although I am an 80's lovechild (no pun intended) I love the sixties as well. Studing the Vietnam War, Kennedy Era, and civil rights movements has always been of great interest to me.
And the experimentation in music, quite original.
Its sad to say there's not much of that these days. Everything is being recycled anymore.

My mom moved from Germany to the States in 1968. She definately has a hippy air, so I guess the genes dont filter too far down through the gene-pool.
I've always found myself a bit of an old soul. ;)

One of my favourite bands has its origins in the sixties - The Moody Blues.
I have a grand honour of seeing them when I was 13, and it was probably one of the best shows I ever attended.
I remember being up, out and dancing in my seat when they played "Timothy Leary".
I also think I was the only willing 13 year old in that hall that informed and talked my mom into taking me.

I also found a group called The Electric Prunes I like alot too.
Interesting!

Thanks for the musings!

Mr. Brightside
November 24th, 2008, 11:48 AM
One of my favourite bands has its origins in the sixties - The Moody Blues.!

Love "Nights in white satin" very emotional song, gives me goosebumps I hear it, I think the Moody blues are still on the go in one form or another, wonder how many artists from today will still be touring and bringing out albums in 2048 ;)

Kiran
November 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Well I just made it as a 60's child...1960!! I have to say my heart lies in that era to some extent and to those of you who really know me...probably no surprise really! :)

I love the gentleness of the time, the magic, the chaos...everything!! But I also saw the 70's...hmm...disco was never really my scene...but Punk!! What a revolution!!! And yes, I was a punk!!! lol
The 80's...new romantics/gothic...was there too!!!
The 90's...hmm the jury's still out on that one.
I love the hip hop stuff...the skill of the genre is brilliant!!!

But I still love the original anarchy caused by the 60's...freedom to become what you were meant to become.... :)

userid7
January 29th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Still my:Hbounce favorite artist is Neil Young, I had a chance to see him live
just the other day, I am am especially proud of the way he walks what
he talks, this guy actually went millions of dollars in debt for causes
like Farm Aid.
He has stuck to the philosophy of the 60's, isn't afraid to wear a peace sign,
one song he played is called "I'm still living the dream we had", ..for
me it's not over..then he went into a couple beatle covers, the only
man on earth that could do a beatle cover and acually still make it
sound cool, he is my spiritually father and guru as well as favotite
musician.
Peaceandlove,
DangerBird.

Narnia
January 29th, 2009, 11:39 AM
The 60's was the prism of the 20th century, every colour shone and there was so much light shining through it, that it's spectrum is still very vivid today!....well, at least I think so.

But, let's not forget the musical wonders and hits from the 20's, 30's, 40's, and yes, the 50's too, some good stuff came from those decades as well!

userid7
January 29th, 2009, 02:37 PM
YA, I agree,
I'm a big Buddy Holly fan too,
I think it he would not have died,
it would have been him that was "king of r&r" instead of elvis,
Like did you know blue saude shoes was a Buddy Holly song,
and even the punks do covers of his stuff,
I never judged music by the age it was made.
Peace and Love,
DangerBird.