PDA

View Full Version : Touch Screen Computing is the way forward!

God's Toy
July 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Just picked myself a touch screen windows 7 netbook a few days ago.
I was looking forward to trying out a powerful touch screen OS but what I found blew my mind!
Everything form posting,emailing and twittering by just handwriting on screen to navigating boards sites and menus is does with ease, in the few short days of playing with it I have found it's as natural to use as a mouse and keyboard was before it, if not more so.
I wont go on about it like a nerd (and I yes I am one) but what I will say is this is whats been missing from a real OS to date and with a powerful CPU behind it, it can only get better with time.

Note you can also get touchscreen on macs too.
Here is a vid of some of the goodness of win 7 touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL_qmc-BFb0

More Windows 7 Touch - with added microsoft cheese

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybylnQz9ZL0&feature=related

Narnia
July 4th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Saw this a while back ... and OMG ... I SOOO want this .... :drool: :hyper2: :girl_yes3 (1):

God's Toy
July 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I find myself folding the screen over the keyboard just so I can only touch the screen. It's a habit to keep going for the keyboard and mouse but touch screen is 1000 times more intuitive and better all round.

Kiran
July 4th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Hmm...interesting!! I am thinking about getting a new laptop and hmm...sounds very cool Peter!! The memory in this one just isn't sufficient!! What one did you get if you don't mind my asking??

God's Toy
July 5th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Hi Lorri,

I got mine from komplett.ie (: link: http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_02PC/02_NOTEBOO/04_NETBOOK/productdetails/20022633/Acer_Aspire_Timeline_1825PTZ_413G32N_P_SU4100_/LX_PVF02_362/default.aspx )
If your planning to go down the touch screen route make sure it has Windows 7 Home Premium and not windows 7 Starter as that does not support touch...but it does not stop them trying to flog it off on people.

Have fun what ever you do.

here is a video of the very one I have..(mines black) ok its in German but you will get the idea from the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlR-Aw3gkyY

Kiran
July 5th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Hmm...sounds good! I'll make sure its the Windows 7 Home Premium then ;) Thanks a milliion...depends on the price if I get it or not but it doesn't hurt to look!!

Kiran
July 5th, 2010, 08:36 PM
OMG!!! Just watched the video!! I like!!! Very cool tool!!!

Wow you must be having great fun with that!!!

God's Toy
July 5th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Yep i am! you know me and tech lorri, It's my one weakness. As its a 11.6 " screen it fits into my work bag so lunch time is internet for me.

let me know if I can help you more, Hell send up your laptop to us and we will tune it up for ya!

Kiran
July 5th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks hon....much appreciated. I think the issue is lack of memory with mine. It keeps locking on me and says (Not Responding) all the time! Its serioiusly wrecking my head lately!!

God's Toy
July 5th, 2010, 09:18 PM
sounds like spywere more than anything, hope you run a up to date antispywere. The software, free on the net if you need it.
also run windows update to make sure you didn't miss anything. locking can be easy to fix if you know where to look. bet I could sort it ;)

oh and getting more memory is as easy as going to a pc store and asking for more..(bring your laptop with you). would work out under 150 euro.

Kiran
July 5th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Hmm..I run all that daily so hmm...I might go into PC world and see. As I said, Its so frustrating!! But thats an idea instead of getting a new laptop!

God's Toy
July 5th, 2010, 10:14 PM
If i was near you i'd be right over and sort it. pc world guys should sort it no probs , just tell them you need more ram and its locking up.
If your using Vista, it needs 2GB ram minimum . With Win xp you can use 1GB. Windows 7 is 2GB as well. When is Martin due a drive to his brother? lol tell him he's over due a visit and drop the laptop into the boot! .

Samael
July 7th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Just picked myself a touch screen windows 7 netbook a few days ago.
I was looking forward to trying out a powerful touch screen OS but what I found blew my mind!
Everything form posting,emailing and twittering by just handwriting on screen to navigating boards sites and menus is does with ease, in the few short days of playing with it I have found it's as natural to use as a mouse and keyboard was before it, if not more so.
I wont go on about it like a nerd (and I yes I am one) but what I will say is this is whats been missing from a real OS to date and with a powerful CPU behind it, it can only get better with time.

Note you can also get touchscreen on macs too.
Here is a vid of some of the goodness of win 7 touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL_qmc-BFb0

More Windows 7 Touch - with added microsoft cheese

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybylnQz9ZL0&feature=related

That is great Peter and yes, Microsoft has lots of experience with touch screen technology, ever since Windows XP was out.. I was surprised how good Touch support is in Windows 7 and its all very much usable and not gimmicky.. One thing I don't agree with you is Mac thing.. The two are not even possibly comparable, because iPods and iPads are media consuming devices and have a totally different approach, were Windows DEVICES are equipped with fully functional operating system.. I believe in time that Apple will be able to do something similar, possibly with OS 11, also making iOS layer in FULL OSX, to replace Gadgets gallery, but it will be a hard journey since Microsoft and Nokia have most pattens and need not to rewrite any of their code...

I wonder what will Apple do and what will be their solution, because at the moment they don't have one and there is no such thing as Touch Enabled Mac, no matter how they wanna portray iPad, its not a PC, its just large iPod, sure it has a lot of potential, but at the moment its a big toy... THEN AGAIN, if someone is only going to use internet, media consuming, then maybe iPad is more then enough...

As for power, well, I run Windows 7 Home Premium on my eeePC 1001HA with 1GB of ram no problem, but then again, I only use it for web, light office, usual stuff..

Also, I like seeing companies making devices that would really benefit touch screen technology and not just put them everywhere for no reason like some mobile phone makers do..

God's Toy
July 7th, 2010, 11:03 PM
lol the mac comment was just to suggest its there on a device from apple platform. lol don't get me started on those guys....

I'm so loving windows touch, it just works so well, its hard going back to keys and mouse once you get into it.
i'm looking forward to trying out the Meego OS in my n900 soon.. but Maemo works very well as is.

Samael
July 8th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I like to think of Apple as concept rather then usability, if you know what I mean.. Sure, most people these days don't do GPU programing in MatLab that is all the rage these days, but most also don't even need full OS, this is why I think Apple does good and makes lots of money..